• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X Direct - Battle on March 6th [up: video with subtitles]

Overside

Banned
I've yet to see anyone other than you, trying to tie the character designs of X together with your hatred of Saga. Even then, it was only Saga 1 that had the artstyle that you so clearly hate, it changed for each of the next 2. Most of the complaints about the faces are from people who haven't played any of them and incorrectly label Blade as a "series" that they never played and think the artsyle is new, or have made it known that they just don't like anime.

It's also not safe to assume that X will continue with how Blade's characters were. We know next to nothing about the story and how the characters will play out in it, something that we won't know until people start leaking spoilers from the Japanese release. I'd honestly say that it's very doubtful that this game won't have "obnoxious whiny garbage" or "generic emo jrpg protagonist". Fuck we haven't even heard the voices in a language most of us can understand yet, these characters are going to be more than the "dolls" that so many seem to think they look like.

I dont hate the designs, hate is a pretty strong word. I dont particularly like them, but I can totally deal with them just fine, but I totally understand the reactions people have to them, Ive seen it every time they are used, Im not going to gaslight them by telling them theres nothing polarizing about this style, its just them, and that this exact same situation hasnt cropped up before.

When Takahashi calls the 'Whiny obnoxious garbage' with the 'whiny emo jrpg protaganist' style storytelling, and I quote, 'a dead end' in design and storytelling, and talked about how people 'Didnt like these whiny unhappy characters', and then his experiment in his new style of design and storytelling is a huge success, and his non whiny, not melodramatic main character is in smash bros, and now hes making a much bigger game with the same name...

Yeah Im pretty confident in what I said. There will be no Xenosaga level melodrama in Xenoblade X. Thats a 'dead end' according to the person whos directing these games.

And I couldnt be happier. Gears and blade are much better games than the saga series. And gears was only half a game.

Although its hard to make a good game series with a meddling publisher constantly trying to stick its hands in everything and firing large chunks of your staff for not doing what they want.

Is there anything in the lore to suggest Eath in the games has gone through the same events of 'our real' Earth?

Is it unreasonable to assume that in the Xenoblade Earth mankind didn't have pointless wars and that co-operation and mutual understanding were held in higher regard among countries?

Wars spurred technological growth more than anything. Technology is quite often spurred by greed and hate. She the industrial revolution for the former.

If you're talking the last two hundred years even everybody working together would in no way reach the level of technology in Xenoblade X. It's just completely unrealistic.

Yeah the time from balloon to the moon was impressive but we haven't really gotten anywhere since.

Also they would have to have had wars as seen by weapons development like Dolls.

It's just a weird oversight. I mean they could have easily set it a hundred or two-hundred years later.

i-Jest

iHO87DJ.gif

Yea, you can see the debris flying off after the monster jumps at the player. Also note the absence of the left arm stabilizing the gun arm while firing after the monster attacks.

That looks so cool.

Ulysses 31

iHO87DJ.gif

Yea, you can see the debris flying off after the monster jumps at the player. Also note the absence of the left arm stabilizing the gun arm while firing after the monster attacks.

They took out the "Huge Succeeded" in the later builds, didn't they? =(((((((((

zashga

Game looks pretty great; I'm loving the environment and monster design. The armor is looking much improved from Xenoblade, too. I'm curious to see what direction the story takes... That's probably the biggest unknown at this point.

Overside

Banned
Game looks pretty great; I'm loving the environment and monster design. The armor is looking much improved from Xenoblade, too. I'm curious to see what direction the story takes... That's probably the biggest unknown at this point.

Guess we all better start brushing up on our 17-1800 era philosophers. The first Xenoblade had a lot of fun with Gottfrieds Monadology, I wonder what they will use for this one?

Nemecyst

Guys, the child genius thing isn't the biggest suspension of disbelief in this game. That honor belongs to the fact that they escape Earth in 2054.

Let me repeat that, in less than 40 years we will be able to create Giant Robots and fly to distant galaxies while transporting a city.

That is just stupid.

What sucks is that Xenosaga was smart enough to have people start leaving the Earth in 2510 with the game taking place hundreds of years from that. Why they don't didn't do this for Xenoblade X confounds me.

How is that stupid? There are multiple non-human, intelligent species that have advanced technologies in this game. Nowhere was is stated that humans relied SOLELY on their own technology to escape earth. Or are you assuming that the war above planet was "first contact"? Even Star Trek had war drive flight in 2063, so it's not that far-fetched.

Shahadan

A lot of people (like me) are fed up with the tropes and melodrama that come hand in hand with anime. I really liked Xenoblade because while it had its share of JRPG cliches, it was relatively light on the anime ones, partly because of the writing and partly because of the localization (the British cast being a refreshing change of pace). X is veering dangerously close to Xenosaga territory for me, a series that ultimately drowned in its anime angst.

I agree, X is too much Xenosaga for me. I don't want that anymore.
My hype is close to 0, but I'll still buy it because I liked Xenoblade's gameplay.

Story and characters in X reek far too much of what I hate.

I agree, X is too much Xenosaga for me. I don't want that anymore.
My hype is close to 0, but I'll still buy it because I liked Xenoblade's gameplay.

Story and characters in X reek far too much of what I hate.

Except we know next to nothing of the story? God killing(because it's going to be there), isn't exactly new for Takahashi(considering it's been in all the Xeno games) or even jrpgs in general. Earth being attacked and colonies being created on other planets sure as hell isn't new either, when it's used in literally every single space themed story. We know nothing outside of that.

There is literally no Xenosaga in Xenoblade X, beyond character face designs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halo_effect

You might want to rethink that before saying it. Granted it has been used in both Saga and Gears, we know the Zohar is going to be in this game in some form, based on it being shown in the first "direct" they had. If you think the story isn't going to have links to either of those games, you are mistaken. I would be amazed if they had more links to Blade in this, than either Saga or Gears.

alvis.exe

Wait doesn't this game have the exact same writing team as the first? AKA Takahashi and Takeda? I'm sure Nintendo will have someone like Hattori check off on the story as well, just like for XC.

I'm optimistic about it though. Everything we've gotten so far seems to point towards a cast determined to make the most of their situation and survive as the final remaining members of humanity, which would seem to be the opposite of emo and whiny?

At any rate I've got high hopes for Elma being a great take-charge, get things done kind of lead what with how she's been presented so far. And even if the story (and music. And cutscene direction. And everything else.) ends up sucking at least I'll get to fly around a giant, beautiful world in a mech!

Shahadan

Yeah right halo effect my ass. Everything about the E3 trailer was so much xenosaga stuff to me that was not even funny.
Writing, cutscenes, dumb organization names, mechas, space battles, blah blah blah.

And I don't even hate xenosaga.I'm fine with killing god once again.

The tone and the overall atmosphere are a big letdown for me regardless of what people associate with XS or not.
Even if it weren't akin to Saga, it sure as hell isn't what I loved about Xenoblade, that's 100% clear in my mind.

Overside

Banned
Wait doesn't this game have the exact same writing team as the first? AKA Takahashi and Takeda? I'm sure Nintendo will have someone like Hattori check off on the story as well, just like for XC.

I'm optimistic about it though. Everything we've gotten so far seems to point towards a cast determined to make the most of their situation and survive as the final remaining members of humanity, which would seem to be the opposite of emo and whiny?

At any rate I've got high hopes for Elma being a great take-charge, get things done kind of lead what with how she's been presented so far. And even if the story (and music. And cutscene direction. And everything else.) ends up sucking at least I'll get to fly around a giant, beautiful world in a mech!

Yes, it does. On top of that, prior to the first game, Takahashi called the writing style and game design style of Xenosaga, 'A dead end.'

Overside

Banned
Yeah right halo effect my ass. Everything about the E3 trailer was so much xenosaga stuff to me that was not even funny.
Writing, cutscenes, dumb organization names, mechas, space battles, blah blah blah.

And I don't even hate xenosaga.I'm fine with killing god once again.

The tone and the overall atmosphere are a big letdown for me regardless of what people associate with XS or not.
Even if it weren't akin to Saga, it sure as hell isn't what I loved about Xenoblade, that's 100% clear in my mind.

What writing? You had contextless sentences the same likes of which can EASILY be pulled out of parts of Xenoblade.

Dumb organization names? Thats your hamburger hill huh. You dont like an acronym, and because of an acronym, these two games are suddenly identical. Ok.

Of course there are mechs, its a Xeno game. There were mechs gears and blade as well. Neither of them were like Xenosaga.

So the gigantic seamless world full of amazing design and exploration discovery potential, looks nothing like Xenoblade? What the heck were you playing Xenoblade for? Cutscenes?

I'd like to see this "interview" where he said such a thing.

I love showing it. It absolutely was a dead end. Love Xenoblade for moving past the dead end.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/nint...de-major-details-from-famitsu-scans-27187026/

"Design philosophy also appears to be different here. Past titles from Monolith have focused on events and scenario, Takahashi admitted. However, he feels that this type of development has reached a "dead end." The Xenoblade project started off by looking at the origins of the RPG genre. Takahashi wanted to make a game where it was simply enjoyable to adventure."

Got to watch the subtitled video. I gotta say I was pretty charmed. Obviously the world still looks cool but the way they had the characters trading banter back and forth as they introduce you to combat mechanics was really nice. It captured that feel of "explaining to the new guy how we go about exploring this new world."

It was only when they got to the end and did that cool close up on the mech, foreshadowing the next direct, that I realised... "hey, those creepy faces aren't bothering me at all anymore!" I adjusted to them pretty easy once things got going. I guess it really wasn't as big a problem as I had feared.

aravuus

Got to watch the subtitled video. I gotta say I was pretty charmed. Obviously the world still looks cool but the way they had the characters trading banter back and forth as they introduce you to combat mechanics was really nice. It captured that feel of "explaining to the new guy how we go about exploring this new world."

I thought it was terrible lol, found myself skipping most of the video. Still very excited for the game and I noticed I'm also starting to get used to the faces.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
What writing? You had contextless sentences the same likes of which can EASILY be pulled out of parts of Xenoblade.

Dumb organization names? Thats your hamburger hill huh. You dont like an acronym, and because of an acronym, these two games are suddenly identical. Ok.

Of course there are mechs, its a Xeno game. There were mechs gears and blade as well. Neither of them were like Xenosaga.

So the gigantic seamless world full of amazing design and exploration discovery potential, looks nothing like Xenoblade? What the heck were you playing Xenoblade for? Cutscenes?

I love showing it. It absolutely was a dead end. Love Xenoblade for moving past the dead end.

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/nint...de-major-details-from-famitsu-scans-27187026/

"Design philosophy also appears to be different here. Past titles from Monolith have focused on events and scenario, Takahashi admitted. However, he feels that this type of development has reached a "dead end." The Xenoblade project started off by looking at the origins of the RPG genre. Takahashi wanted to make a game where it was simply enjoyable to adventure."
He totally accomplished the enjoyable to adventure, it was just fun to run around and explore and to fight, god they totally nailed the gameplay on the first try, it helped that nintendo did help them out in that area.

Overside

Banned
I'm not interested in a shitty debate where you're nipticking on everything I can say, guy. I don't have to justify anything and certainly not my feelings about a game I'll buy regardless.

Oh come on, Its not like Im asking you to make any bets or anything.

I actually, would NOT, play another Xenosaga. And I am very excited for X, for all the same reasons I was very excited for blade the first time I saw it.

Tell you what, why dont we see what we each think when we finally get a look at the localized version?

moolamb

Guess we all better start brushing up on our 17-1800 era philosophers. The first Xenoblade had a lot of fun with Gottfrieds Monadology, I wonder what they will use for this one?

Oh wow so that's where Monado comes from...

My mind is getting many blowings today.

I was talking about him saying this for X, not Xenoblade. Ofcourse the story telling was "stale" for Saga, it sold terribly and he'd have to be insane to say he wanted to keep going with it's design because of how it sold. It was clear as day that he had a story he wanted to tell with both Saga and Gears though, a story he couldn't finish. Now what happens when a better gameplay design comes around that a lot of people like? You really don't think that he would want to try his hand at the story he never finished, with the better gameplay elements added to it?

He's made it clear to me that he's going back to basics when it comes to his story, even just based off what little they have shown. You can think all you want that this will have nothing to do with Saga or Gears, but the reality is, he's still not done telling his story. Also hey, some people actually like Xenosaga, stop pretending like it was the worst thing in the world for everyone.

Fandangox

I'm not interested in a shitty debate where you're nipticking on everything I can say, guy. I don't have to justify anything and certainly not my feelings about a game I'll buy regardless.

I mean that's fine, but its a forum, if you post something discussipn is bound to happen lol

Overside

Banned
Oh wow so that's where Monado comes from...

My mind is getting many blowings today.

But wait, theres more.

It also uses the concept of the Monad from Gnosticism (Bionis), pitted against the concept of the Monad from the Pythogoreans (Mechonis)

And the Monad from functional computer programming. (Everything shulk does)

Shahadan

Oh come on, Its not like Im asking you to make any bets or anything.

I actually, would NOT, play another Xenosaga. And I am very excited for X, for all the same reasons I was very excited for blade the first time I saw it.

Tell you what, why dont we see what we each think when we finally get a look at the localized version?

To be honest I'd be more excited if I knew Takahashi understood why Xenoblade was so loved, and I'm afraid he didn't, considering what he said about it, and what he wanted to do with X.
Frankly, that's ok, at least he kept the same gameplay. But I wouldn't be surprised if storywise it's more a clusterfuck like Blade's second half rather than the first, but yeah we'll see.

Overside

Banned
I was talking about him saying this for X, not Xenoblade. Ofcourse the story telling was "stale" for Saga, it sold terribly and he'd have to be insane to say he wanted to keep going with it's design because of how it sold. It was clear as day that he had a story he wanted to tell with both Saga and Gears though, a story he couldn't finish. Now what happens when a better gameplay design comes around that a lot of people like? You really don't think that he would want to try his hand at the story he never finished, with the better gameplay elements?

He's made it clear to me that he's going back to basics when it comes to his story, even just based off what little they have shown. You can think all you want that this will have nothing to do with Saga or Gears, but the reality is, he's still not done telling his story. Also hey, some people actually like Xenosaga, stop pretending like it was the worst thing in the world for everyone.

Oh no no no.

The Xeno philosophy style story was not the problem, Xenoblade had a fantastic take on it, with Gottfried Leibniz's Monadology. A story is just framework, there is so much more that goes into it than just story, plot, structure, narrative, dialog. The problems with Xenosaga was how they decided to use the story in a game, and the way they made whiny unlikable characters, and focused so much of the games time on their melodrama.

X is absolutely Takahashis 3rd, and most likely final franchise attempt at telling the Xeno story. But hes going to do it the Xenoblade way. You dont go back to something youve declared a dead end.

To be honest I'd be more excited if I knew Takahashi understood why Xenoblade was so loved, and I'm afraid he didn't, considering what he said about it, and what he wanted to do with X.
Frankly, that's ok, at least he kept the same gameplay. But I wouldn't be surprised if storywise it's more a clusterfuck like Blade's second half rather than the first, but yeah we'll see.

Ha! And many lines from the second half of the story were exactly what I was thinking about when I was responding to you, yet you already disliked those!

Yeah, thats going to be in X. Just like it was in Xenoblade. Its going to be heavily based off of the works of philosophers from hundreds of years ago, just like Xenoblade, gears, and saga. Characters are not going to be written like they were in Xenosaga, they already have all the traits of the 'positive and likable characters' in gameplay and what dialogue we have seen and character profiles.

'Takahashi's personal belief was that the more negative, jaded JRPG character-type leads the player to resent them due to the emotional investment required to complete such long games.'
Takahashi found out Whiny negative, melodramatic characters grate on you the more time you have to spend with them. Who knew? WOuldnt worry about characters like that coming back in X, there isnt a Shion in sight.

But really, the big difference here, the thing Takahashi went back to his origins to remember, and the thing that made Xenoblade, and half of gears so great, is that you will actually be playing this story, you will be going on this adventure. Rather than walking to the next cutscene, and putting the controller down for 45 cringeworthy minutes at a time.

I honestly believe Takahashi understands what was such a great success in Xenoblade. I hope you are pleasently surprised.

alvis.exe

You might want to rethink that before saying it. Granted it has been used in both Saga and Gears, we know the Zohar is going to be in this game in some form, based on it being shown in the first "direct" they had. If you think the story isn't going to have links to either of those games, you are mistaken. I would be amazed if they had more links to Blade in this, than either Saga or Gears.

Wait are you talking about this image?

Aren't those lifepoints or whatever?
latest

Design could totally be a reference though. Wouldn't put it past them haha.

Except we know next to nothing of the story? God killing(because it's going to be there), isn't exactly new for Takahashi(considering it's been in all the Xeno games) or even jrpgs in general. Earth being attacked and colonies being created on other planets sure as hell isn't new either, when it's used in literally every single space themed story. We know nothing outside of that.

I would be amazed if it had story links to any of them, beyond the common themes Takahashi likes to use anyways. Zohar is just a reference. It's literally a life pod called 'Life', presumably carrying cryogenically frozen humans waiting to be rescued. The form is just an Easter egg from all indications. We have Nopon and Monado hairpins, I doubt either of them have story connections beyond the light references (Slaying a wicked god with sidekicks in the first short story) etc. Sure the game will revisit some themes, but most of the story will be new stuff, striking a middle ground between the older games and blade.

Well the developers said this game will reference previous Xeno games, but it won't tie into the story in a way that you have to have played the games to understand what's going on. There will be nods and 'easter eggs' for fans of the series, but the question is how deep the references go.

Zero²

Well the developers said this game will reference previous Xeno games, but it won't tie into the story in a way that you have to have played the games to understand what's going on. There will be nods and 'easter eggs' for fans of the series, but the question is how deep the references go.
I just want my Weltall doll lookalike, thats all.
Man it will be so hype if I can make my avatar look like Fei xP

Overside

Banned
Zero²;155498941 said:
I just want my Weltall doll lookalike, thats all.
Man it will be so hype if I can make my avatar look like Fei xP

If I have any control over bone structure/protrusion at all, Im going to try my hardest to make a big joe.

TheMoon

I love it too! I posted this gif a few pages back but I just really like how they chain the arts together here.

lyaykk.gif

Seamless melee/ranged transition (or just the fact that there are both variants for all characters available simultaneously) makes everything look so much more lively and interesting, too.

Meesh

Everything about this game looks and sounds "huuuuuuuuuge". Am I the only one a smidgen intimidated with the battle/arts/ability paths depth X offers? I'm sure I'll get over it but holy frack, gorgeous looking, deep combat, all that's missing is a killer story and a hero I can sympathize with.

TheMoon

Everything about this game looks and sounds "huuuuuuuuuge". Am I the only one a smidgen intimidated with the battle/arts/ability paths depth X offers? I'm sure I'll get over it but holy frack, gorgeous looking, deep combat, all that's missing is a killer story and a hero I can sympathize with.

If it's anything like Xenoblade, you'll get gradually introduced to the layers by progressing through the game. You can sort of see this by looking at the E3 Treehouse demo where Elma rescues you from that escape pod and then you make your way back to NLA and fight your first few enemies with very basic combat. I think that's where you learn about positioning and soul voice first. All the rest will probably come later as it becomes relevant.

dszvpp.gif

Overclock Gear reminds me of the Limit breaks in Final Fantasy 8 (You can activate it when the group is low on health)
Why do I have the feeling that pro players are going to reach insane combos with this mode and find exploits in the game....

I want to see Overclock Gear be used in the multiplayer.

Overside

Banned
Not the bandanas, but Ralf Jones lol

The Ikari warrior? The guy Keiko Ijuu modeled after Sylvester Stallone in Rambo?

Rides around in a ridiculously fuel innefecient vehicle thats mostly gun that requires gas tanks the size of itself, that explodes when it runs out of Gas?

Thats America baby.

Top Bottom