• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X Direct - Battle on March 6th [up: video with subtitles]

ozfunghi

That kind of did that with Dunban's Skills. Not giving him equipment gives him more evasion.

Yeah, but that's not really what i meant. I think you would be distracted too, if you were fighting a nearly naked woman... no? I wasn't talking about manouvrability.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
Is this the Ru artwork you're talking about?

Because this, along with the other pieces of art, sounds like it had specific orders attached to them, as it says the artist was asked to specifically include Ru, a character that she designed.

Yes, thats the one.

foxuzamaki

I'm ok with this.

I know you are :p
20150306_072821.png

MrPanic

So, I had a pretty negative reaction to watching the stream the first time, but seeing the video with the translations does get me hyped up again. There are things about this game that I genuinely hate and there are things that look straight up epic. Something tells me I might hate this game but it looks too good to pass up. It's a straight up struggle every time I see footage of this game, weighting pros and cons for days.

Hopefully Xenoblade Chronicles 3d can take my doubts away.

I am pretty much on media blackout for this game, but can you guys tell me if the battle system offers more options now/gives more control? Xeno's system always felt like a gimped FFXII to me.

foxuzamaki

So, I had a pretty negative reaction to watching the stream the first time, but seeing the video with the translations does get me hyped up again. There are things about this game that I genuinely hate and there are things that look straight up epic. Something tells me I might hate this game but it looks too good to pass up. It's a straight up struggle every time I see footage of this game, weighting pros and cons for days.

Hopefully Xenoblade Chronicles 3d can take my doubts away.
What about this game that you "hate" it? hate is such a strong fucking word for not seeing much at all to downright hate.

I know you are :p
20150306_072821.png

BTW, it just hit me that Elma is dark skinned. Even though she's technically not the main character, she seems like the one that's most involved in the story. Since she's a human being, this is one of the first or one of the rare RPGs out there with a major dark skinned character as far as I know.

I am pretty much on media blackout for this game, but can you guys tell me if the battle system offers more options now/gives more control? Xeno's system always felt like a gimped FFXII to me.

I don't know about the "gives more control", but there sure are a ton of new options and systems added.

It's overall the same battle system, but with a lot more stuff in-battle for you. So whether that's good or bad, you decide.

MrPanic

What about this game that you "hate" it? hate is such a strong fucking word for not seeing much at all to downright hate.
I haven't played a Xenoblade before so can't say for sure if I'll hate it, but so far I hated all games that feature such a menu-based/mmo-like combat system, so it's a easy assumption that I'll hate this too. Other than that a lot of things look really hit or miss for me. Some combat moves look really cool, but outside combat the animation of the characters look very stale and emotionless. There are some good looking armors, but a lot of characters themselves just look awful to me. Most areas look great, but there seems to be a fine line between unique and generic. The music is very hit or miss, some sound very atmospheric even with lyrics but others are bad enough to probably make me mute the tv.

Most of this are just small dislikes though, things that I will either grow on me or bother the crap out of me depending on how much I like the gameplay. There's the problem right there, I have no idea if I will like it because I'm not familiar with Xenoblade's gameplay. I do know that small things like I said do always add up, so it's definitely gonna be a case of really loving it or really hating it. I'm just gonna dive blind into the n3ds version and hope all my questions will be answered there.

casiopao

BTW, it just hit me that Elma is dark skinned. Even though she's technically not the main character, she seems like the one that's most involved in the story. Since she's a human being, this is one of the first or one of the rare RPGs out there with a major dark skinned character as far as I know.

Well, I don't want to go on racism problem here but I sure as hell would put Elma as my second choice waifu here.^_^

Lyn still number one for sure lol.^_^

I love the whole concept of wearing and using different stores' merch, and that by doing so you give them publicity which helps them expand. That's really cool.

idalarian

I really like the fact that Elma is a darker skin than other heroine but IMO I don't think that fact will nake any ripples at all. She isn't that dark after all.

Oh and seriously that suit she's wearing just is too damn ugly. It really makes her a diservice. I hope there aren't any more like thosenin the game (by the i dont mind the bathing suits).

Blunoise

I really like the fact that Elma is a darker skin than other heroine but IMO I don't think that fact will nake any ripples at all. She isn't that dark after all.

Oh and seriously that suit she's wearing just is too damn ugly. It really makes her a diservice. I hope there aren't any more like thosenin the game (by the i dont mind the bathing suits).

Lol well I still consider her "black" since this is rooted in Los angeles. Also black ppl do come in many different shades, so I like the fact that game has different ethicnities

foxuzamaki

Elma is only slightly lighter than me

Verger

Banned
Well, I don't want to go on racism problem here but I sure as hell would put Elma as my second choice waifu here.^_^

...wtf?...

You know Lyn is 13 right? Ugh, anime and their jail-bait. The other annoying thing about this sequel.

Nanashrew

Banned
Well, Elma always dies first in recent videos... though it's a VA joke in Japan, kind of.

I may be missing the in-joke as I haven't been watching much anime anymore. I only remember a couple of roles from her from mostly older stuff.

Houko Kuwashima has some amazing range as a voice talent though.

orochi91

...wtf?...

You know Lyn is 13 right? Ugh, anime and their jail-bait. The other annoying thing about this sequel.

...Lyn is only 13?

I've yet to see a JRPG that does kids that young any justice.

They end up being so fucking atrocious with regards to dialogue and character development.

Fuck.

foxuzamaki

Lyn hasent done anything offensive really, seriously she hasent, even the armor they showed off hasent really been fanservicy, atleast not in the way some of Elma's armors are.

rjinaz

Lyn hasent done anything offensive really, seriously she hasent, even the armor they showed off hasent really been fanservicy, atleast not in the way some of Elma's armors are.

Yeah, I mean girls that age exist in the real world, so why can't they in a video game? Personally I think it's a bit silly story-wise, a 13 year old is some kind of mechanical genius and on top of that they send her off do to battle with monsters and guns. I think they should have made her 16 at the youngest, but I'm sure they had their reasons.

As long as they don't handle her inappropriately I'm fine with it, and so far it seems they aren't.

rhandino

Banned
Can we please noT continue with the direction this is going? =/

...wtf?...

Yes, because the original was not anime-style and there was not borderline jailbait... whut? There was even a character that whose appearance was dissonant with it's age
It was Melia, who has 88 years

I was considering Elma to be more Ganguro than black, because of the white hair (like Black Rose from .Hack)

But either way, so far she is the coolest character imo (can't talk on any of them being waifu material though).

foxuzamaki

I was considering Elma to be more Ganguro than black, because of the white hair (like Black Rose from .Hack)

But either way, so far she is the coolest character imo (can't talk on any of them being waifu material though).

black characters in fiction are usually drawn with hair opposite their skin color(blonde, white, silver, etc.) because 1. it makes it easier to draw where the hair line begins and ends, and 2 it makes them visually more interesting. storm is the most prominent character of this trope.

Also for some reason they always give us lightning powers >.>

black characters in fiction are usually drawn with hair opposite their skin color(blonde, white, silver, etc.) because 1. it makes it easier to draw where the hair line begins and ends, and 2 it makes them visually more interesting. storm is the most prominent character of this trope.

Also for some reason they always give us lightning powers >.>

Yeah. After .Hack I just see everyone with a design like that as ganguro.

And she's also black because that is LA, not Japan =P

ivysaur12

Banned
Something I was a bit unclear about from the video: Is the party always MC, Lyn, Elma, and one more, or can you mix it up with the others? Can you make a party entirely from randos from NLA?

Gambit

I find it very hard to believe that everyone can be recruited. It just seems to have been a loose translation. Nobody should actually expect that.

From the youtube comments:

IMPORTANT NOTE: Since I really hate when a simple choice of words during translation gives people incorrect expectations, you should know that the part about "everyone" joining your party at 27:57 was paraphrased, and actually says "lots of different people". The translator has noted that he didn't expect people to take it literally, but of course, a ton of people have already taken it literally.

Something I was a bit unclear about from the video: Is the party always MC, Lyn, Elma, and one more, or can you mix it up with the others? Can you make a party entirely from randos from NLA?

Pretty sure there are moments in the video where either Lyn or Elma were not in the active party. I certainly hope that's the case, as Lyn will be exchaged very quickly, if I have the chance.

casiopao

...wtf?...

she's 13...

Ummmmm i guess i used the wrong word, i mean Lyn is in my eyes much more interesting compared to Elma atm tx to her cute and funny exchange with Tatsu.

I should not used waifu i guess, It rilled up lots of people here.

Elma seems to be more on girl power type of char where she looks more badass than the mc lol.

Overside

Banned
I really thought I was tracking most all of what was going on, because of my familiarity with Xenoblade.... But upon watching that translation, there is just... So much more added than I previously thought, and I heavily suspect thats just going to be a drop in the bucket when all is said and done.

Formless

I haven't played a Xenoblade before so can't say for sure if I'll hate it, but so far I hated all games that feature such a menu-based/mmo-like combat system, so it's a easy assumption that I'll hate this too. Other than that a lot of things look really hit or miss for me. Some combat moves look really cool, but outside combat the animation of the characters look very stale and emotionless. There are some good looking armors, but a lot of characters themselves just look awful to me. Most areas look great, but there seems to be a fine line between unique and generic. The music is very hit or miss, some sound very atmospheric even with lyrics but others are bad enough to probably make me mute the tv.

Most of this are just small dislikes though, things that I will either grow on me or bother the crap out of me depending on how much I like the gameplay. There's the problem right there, I have no idea if I will like it because I'm not familiar with Xenoblade's gameplay. I do know that small things like I said do always add up, so it's definitely gonna be a case of really loving it or really hating it. I'm just gonna dive blind into the n3ds version and hope all my questions will be answered there.

I really hated MMOs when I tried them years ago but Xenoblade's gameplay was really fun to me. I also share concern about the generic-ness/anime-ness of the characters (this is after playing some Xenoblade), especially since the protagonist is customizable.

Insaniac

Just watched the translation, holy shit I can't wait to have this game and play some online multiplayer. And up next Dolls! I can imagine that is going to be freakin awesome

Top Bottom