• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X: April 10th Doll Presentation [up: video with subtitles]

TheMoon

someone has a gif to the scene where one of the animals is overrun by a doll?

->

fzxggt.gif

Takahashi knows his asses

Looooove the Xenobooty.

Chaos17

so i just saw this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8f5XlrwhXsw

to me the textures are lower quality/worse. theres alot more detail missing (details in background, people, robot, etc). They went a step backwards in the lighting department. It clearly looks worse to me but some people are saying its pretty much identical. am i blind?!

The trailer from E3 was clearly a cinematic/CG cutscene, they just reproduced the same cutscene with in game graphics, imo.

Just like the closing CG cutscene of the last video that don't use in game graphics :

I'm not giving it an excuse, just explaining the difference between them.
Which is why lot of people disliked that EA was full of CG trailers back then because they expected that in game graphics won't be that pretty too.
So they wished that companies show them gameplay instead.

yay, now the downgradeathon can finally start!

I mean, the first was obviously a CG trailer where they hadn't polished the game enough to show it in real time. It still looks really good, it's just this trailer is real time instead since they've gotten enough polish to do that by this point

Litri

so i just saw this:

to me the textures are lower quality/worse. theres alot more detail missing (details in background, people, robot, etc). They went a step backwards in the lighting department. It clearly looks worse to me but some people are saying its pretty much identical. am i blind?!

To be honest, I think they have just adjusted the lighting and made it less intense.Which one is better is a matter of taste. I would go as far as to say that the scene at the begining had arguably too much contrast to the point where you almost cannot make the textures on the ground, something that doesn't happen in the last footgae. Also, the fact that there are less objects could be just a random thing. I wouldn't expect that garage to be always full of workers and so on. We don't even know if that scene is more/less object-crowded because we don't know if the footage from the last presentation was captured at the very beginning of the game and if what happens there depends on the progress or time of the day. In the last scene, for example, you can also see that they used a better/more agressive depth of field that blurs the background n the last presentation footage...

I don't think this is a downgrade but we will find out pretty soon when the JP version is on the consumer's hands.

The trailer from E3 was clearly a cinematic/CG cutscene, they just reproduced the same cutscene with in game graphics, imo.

Just like the closing CG cutscene of the last video that don't use in game graphics :

Which is why lot of people disliked that EA was full of CG trailers back then because they expected that in game graphics won't be that pretty too.

I don't pretend that I'm good with things like this, but that didn't look to be clearly CG to me.

chadboban

so i just saw this:

The only places in the comparison that take place in shot for shot angles and locations are at 0:14 and 0:29. If you look at the background in a lot of the scenes, you can see that the locations are slightly different. I'd also attribute a lot of the lighting changes to the time of day and there being less fog in the scene. There's is definitely a robot missing but I can still see every single person that was there in the E32013 trailer.

Phanservice

Neo Member
To be honest, I think they have just adjusted the lighting and made it less intense.Which one is better is a matter of taste. I would go as far as to say that the scene at the begining had arguably too much contrast to the point where you almost cannot make the textures on the ground, something that doesn't happen in the last footgae. Also, the fact that there are less objects could be just a random thing. I wouldn't expect that garage to be always full of workers and so on. We don't even know if that scene is more/less object-crowded because we don't know if the footage from the last presentation was captured at the very beginning of the game and if what happens there depends on the progress or time of the day. In the last scene, for example, you can also see that they used a better/more agressive depth of field that blurs the background n the last presentation footage...

I don't think this is a downgrade but we will find out pretty soon when the JP version is on the consumer's hands.

imo i think its a downground. but if what other people are saying that the first trailer is CG then that explains it and now i have no more complaints. Still pretty weird seeing a CG trailer imitating an in game engine (guess im use to games like FF using obvious CG).

I don't pretend that I'm good with things like this, but that didn't look to be clearly CG to me.

Same here. Definitely thought it was in-game considering the fact that it had aliasing....

Clearly CG to me would be perfect IQ and textures that were obviously beyond the ability of the system. The E3 2013 trailer didn't really feel that way. The Doll UI scene did look pretty amazing when I think about it but the rest definitely looked like it was possible on a Wii U.

chadboban

That last scene doesn't look CG to me though. Look at in in full screen in this slow motion video. https://youtu.be/XThqRKkIoGU?t=11m27s

Nothing about it screams that it must be CG. Monolithsoft is pretty damn good when it comes to their in engine action cutscenes. I'm sure that it can take place at an entirely different time of day in the full game just like every scene in the original Xenoblade.

TheMoon

Guys, the E3 trailer wasn't CG.

Pre-rendered maybe/probably as opposed to the real time version we have now but definitely not CG (in the way we understand CG).

Those background tracks, are they part of the OST?
The're all with vocals?

Of course.

Guess why so many people are arguing about the music.

wmlk

Is that a "downgrade" comparison or the same game version in diferent areas?

Same game in the same area.

That one texture wasn't there before, but overall the scene looks noticeably worse than it did at E3 2013 as the video shows a few posts above.

Oh well, what can you do? The game still looks noticeably better than it did at E3 2014.

EDIT: Wait, people are really calling the 2013 footage CG as some sort of justification? It's not CG and it's extremely obvious that it isn't, especially when the entire trailer was gameplay footage.

TheMan

physics look jankified, but the game is fun. Still planning on picking up a Wii U for this bad boy, although I'm still slightly bummed that this game will be limited by that particular console.

Is that a "downgrade" comparison or the same game version in diferent areas?

There's some weird discrepancies. The background looks different in the close ups of the main character, but the overall scene looks to be the same area in the zoomed-out section. It still looks better in the old footage to me, so I wonder why they changed it.

Phanservice

Neo Member
Same game in the same area.

That one texture wasn't there before, but overall the scene looks noticeably worse than it did at E3 2013 as the video shows a few posts above.

Oh well, what can you do? The game still looks noticeably better than it did at E3 2014.

EDIT: Wait, people are really calling the 2013 footage CG as some sort of justification? It's not CG and it's extremely obvious that it isn't, especially when the entire trailer was gameplay footage.

lol yea i didnt think it was CG....but entertain the thought after some people said it. makes no sense to be CG pretending to be in game engine. you can even see some pixelation. this is a close up view of the game and the game would look better once you are in the field since the camera zooms out more.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
physics look jankified, but the game is fun. Still planning on picking up a Wii U for this bad boy, although I'm still slightly bummed that this game will be limited by that particular console.
So subtle. Only thing missing is ps4 not being mentioned in the post. It's okay guys I'm still buying it though.

wmlk

lol yea i didnt think it was CG....but entertain the thought after some people said it. makes no sense to be CG pretending to be in game engine. you can even see some pixelation. this is a close up view of the game and the game would look better once you are in the field since the camera zooms out more.

I'm not talking about you in particular. It's just that a few of the comments in that video are hilarious.

"Did you just compared a CG video with an in game video ?
/lol"

" lmao, no.

2013 is not gameplay. 2015 is the E3 trailer recreated in game using the final build. this comparison shows nothing."

There's nothing wrong with the game looking a bit worse only for that particular scene. The game was still two years away from its final build and release for crying out loud.

Chaos17

I like how people don't read me to the end and jump to conclusion.
Youhou, I just wrote below the GIF that I'm not giving it an excuse, lol.

I just gave my opinion of what I saw and that's it.
My opinion was not a click bait for arguments/drama since I won't debate who is wrong or not.
You've the right to think it's a downgrade, like I've the right to think what I saw at E3 was a CG trailer without turning this into a toxic topic.

Edit : Overall it still looks great. Everyone will be better off if they do not expect to see the same visuals they saw in the E3 trailer.

Phanservice

Neo Member
I'm not talking about you in particular. It's just that a few of the comments in that video are hilarious.

"Did you just compared a CG video with an in game video ?
/lol"

" lmao, no.

2013 is not gameplay. 2015 is the E3 trailer recreated in game using the final build. this comparison shows nothing."

There's nothing wrong with the game looking a bit worse only for that particular scene. The game was still two years away from its final build and release for crying out loud.

yup still looking forward to the game and i still think the world is still very nice looking with great art style. I think maybe the cutscenes will look worse but the world will look better when camera zooms out. Just bugs me when you see something like this and people just say it looks identical or that the new trailer actually looks better. *facepalm*

chadboban

I feel like I see this a lot. (Most recently with The Witcher 3) People see the same scene at a different time of day or a different effect going on and say it's downgraded.

In an open world game where there is a day and night cycle and weather, and the cutscenes take place in real time there are variables that can change how a scene looks. Doesn't mean it's downgraded. There are differences between the two trailers for sure, but none of them mean that the game's been downgraded.

And like I said before, the shots where you see the close up of the character's legs clearly take place at slightly different places in the same room since the stuff in the background is different in each one yet when we get the zoomed out view, the overall composition of the room is still the same.

th4tguy

Game looks downgraded but I could care less as the thing that still bugs me to death is the character faces. Most still look horrible.

Nanashrew

Banned
I feel like I see this a lot. (Most recently with The Witcher 3) People see the same scene at a different time of day or a different effect going on and say it's downgraded.

In an open world game where there is a day and night cycle and weather, and the cutscenes take place in real time there are variables that can change how a scene looks. Doesn't mean it's downgraded. There are differences between the two trailers for sure, but none of them mean that the game's been downgraded.

And like I said before, the shots where you see the close up of the character's legs clearly take place at slightly different places in the same room since the stuff in the background is different in each one yet when we get the zoomed out view, the overall composition of the room is still the same.

As annoying as it is, I don't really blame them. We've gone many, many years with publishers lying to all of us about their games and their looks and quality, and so on. Even the smallest things now seem to set people off.

Overall, I haven't seen Monolith over promising on things, especially looks. It really doesn't seem like much of an issue, and it may only be in this one area. The rest of what we have seen of the game have been clear improvements, it's just priorities are more about the world you're going to explore than that one hangar bay you may spend a couple of minutes in. People did a similar thing about the city and cars and how boring, dull and flat it looked compared to something like GTA where the appearance of a city and cars is more important and prioritized.

wanders

This game wouldn't be possible on the other consoles

Kanann

poor ghraphic technicals are understandable because it's on wii u

on the bright side, Xenoblae XYZ would be more awesome on new nintendo console :p

so i just saw this:

I think it's mostly a lighting thing. The E3 2013 trailer wasn't CG, I giffed pretty much every single bit of that trailer that year and the games image quality hasn't changed a bit. I noticed the change with the last bit where the guy was waving in the mech during last year during E3. They changed some of the geometry around for whatever reasons. I prefer the original but it's not a deal breaker to me. the other trailer is almost 2 years old at this point. it's a little odd considering The game has improved in other areas since then.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Great, the downgradegate, time to unsubscribe from this thread I guess. Nothing good came up from this kind of discussion on this forum.

Funny thing is that almost no one considered that part the highlight of the 2013 trailer. If you look up for that, there is maybe one gif from it that was barely used around here. Meanwhile the flying mechs, the transforming mechs, the views, the scale is quite the same. But yeah, the garage is ruined.

Nanashrew

Banned
Great, the downgradegate, time to unsubscribe from this thread I guess. Nothing good came up from this kind of discussion on this forum.

Funny thing is that almost no one considered that part the highlight of the 2013 trailer. If you look up for that I there is one gif from it that was barely used. Meanwhile the flying mechs, the tranforming mechs, the views, the scale is quite the same. But yeah, the garage is ruined.

I don't get it either. There are 400 square kilometers in the game with clear improvements but the garage means the whole thing is downgraded somehow =/.

chadboban

As annoying as it is, I don't really blame them. We've gone many, many years with publishers lying to all of us about their games and their looks and quality, and so on. Even the smallest things now seem to set people off.

Overall, I haven't seen Monolith over promising on things, especially looks. It really doesn't seem like much of an issue, and it may only be in this one area. The rest of what we have seen of the game have been clear improvements, it's just priorities are more about the world you're going to explore than that one hangar bay you may spend a couple of minutes in. People did a similar thing about the city and cars and how boring, dull and flat it looked compared to something like GTA where the appearance of a city and cars is more important and prioritized.

I understand too but still I feel like the downgrade stuff with open world games gets overblown alot. Some folks really don't understand how the time of day can affect how a scene looks. I mean can anyone look at this and point out a downgrade to me?

fhhril.gif

I know it's a drastic example but you should get the point.

I don't get it either. There are 400 square kilometers in the game with clear improvements but the garage means the whole thing is downgraded somehow =/.

I didn't say that. I quite clearly said that "this part looked better in a previous trailer." Nowhere did I say that this means the whole game is downgraded. The game looks great. This particular scene made me curious, and I pointed it out.

den

To be completely honest the scene looks to have been altered. The time of day is different, certain elements have been changed( missing doll, doll on the left is moving meanwhile in the e3 2013 trailer it wasn't, the doll on the right is walking in the opposite direction), the textures in the more recent footage seem clearer but the scene is missing fog effects, even the camera work on the close up of Cross' head is different

Nanashrew

Banned
I understand too but still I feel like the downgrade stuff with open world games gets overblown alot. Some folks really don't understand how the time of day can affect how a scene looks. I mean can anyone look at this and point out a downgrade to me?

fhhril.gif

I know it's a drastic example but you should get the point.

I do. I understand. Night time makes things more clearer, even sharper, like the tower because there's less interference from the sun which normally makes the image look a bit softer. It could be the case in the other comparison too. Either way, I can't wait for the game it looks gorgeous.

I didn't say that. I quite clearly said that "this part looked better in a previous trailer." Nowhere did I say that this means the whole game is downgraded. The game looks great. This particular scene made me curious, and I pointed it out.

I was speaking in generally. Some like to go far with it and it may not be all that related to this thread. But yeah, I agree with you.

anaron

Funny thing is that almost no one considered that part the highlight of the 2013 trailer. If you look up for that, there is maybe one gif from it that was barely used around here. Meanwhile the flying mechs, the transforming mechs, the views, the scale is quite the same. But yeah, the garage is ruined.

THE TEXTURES THO

Top Bottom