• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hillary Clinton Is Getting Surprisingly Little Extra Lift From Blacks and Hispanics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

Latino here and I'm not sure I'll even get out and vote for her. Yes, chastise me. I don't care I know, I know supreme Court blah, blah.

If you give a shit about campaign finance reform, climate change, LGBT rights, voting rights, abortion rights, or virtually any progressive issue in this country, then the fate of the Supreme Court under a President Trump should not be fucking blah blah to you.

Only in your Trumpy dreams will she lose all those states.

Trump is now leading Hillary in Iowa, Ohio, Florida, and Maine #2 on 538. He's only behind by 0.4% in Nevada.

~Epilepsy Warning~
bgza9.gif

If you give a shit about campaign finance reform, climate change, LGBT rights, voting rights, abortion rights, or virtually any progressive issue in this country, then the fate of the Supreme Court under a President Trump should not be fucking blah blah to you.

No but both sides are shit

Douche and Turd

/s

God I hate the "both sides are the same" shit especially when they clearly are not.

Headline is a little misleading.

Hillary Clinton isn't getting gains from demographic changes that have increased the minority voting population.

But she still has a huge lead among those blocs that is contributing a huge amount to her current lead in the polls.

Not

Banned
What happened to all the articles I read after the DNC

What is bullshit and what isn't bullshit? This is so stupid

Trump is now leading Hillary in Iowa, Ohio, Florida, and Maine #2 on 538. He's only behind by 0.4% in Nevada.

Is that all the States you mentioned? No. And as of now, even if he did win these states, he'd still lose even though that would make the final count extremely close. Hell, you yourself already posted that Trump's only route to victory as of now is a tie election, one of the rarest things in American politics.

RPGCrazied

Which is a shame. They think they have problems now. If they don't vote for her, and Trump becomes President, its going to get really bad for them.

Did they not listen to the speeches from Obama about how we must elect her? God, wake up people. This isn't a game.

Is that all the States you mentioned?.

4/6. Nevada and New Hampshire will come around. He already led both of them once back during his high-water mark.

Hell, you yourself already posted that Trump's only route to victory as of now is a tie election, one of the rarest things in American politics.

Actually its not. He gets to 270 with the extra EV he gets from Maine.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
So you really know what's at stake with the Supreme Court and don't care or do you just not care at all? Could anything change your mind?

I live in Texas, I'll probably get out and vote for her. I just can't muster any enthusiasm for her. If I were in a swing state I'd be more likely to vote for her.

Oh, and in regards to the other poster yes as a Latino I GOT MINE! /S

This is disgusting, self-hating garbage. You should, in all honesty, be ashamed of yourself.

I've been arrested three times in just one year as a Black Lives Matter activist. I've been tackled, and shackled, and choked. I've lost relationships with dear family members for the risk I put myself at. When I say Hillary Clinton's comment was unacceptable, I ain't fucking joking around. I'm invested up to my neck in the black struggle, and I don't tolerate politicians who perpetuate the myth of black criminality that gets our children killed, nor African-americans who would excuse that behavior to their own detriment.

You are way too invested in this election, and you've lost your way. This shit is really sad. You better learn how to love yourself.
This post is an appeal to emotion that largely falls flat and I'm figuratively cocking my head sideways wondering if you're being serious. But...I guess you are? So I'll bite.

Clinton was referring to drug cartels and gangs, but employed an incredibly disastrous phrase that insinuated the issue was with minority youth in general. Was it a dumb remark in hindsight? Yup. Was it offensive? Sure was, even mitigated by context, because it empowered the racist imagery of black kids as thugs. HRC was rightfully put on blast and has owned up to that mistake, repeatedly, over and over.

Now, does this incidence of (extreme) poor word choice from 1996 erase her entire history of fighting for civil rights, from the 1960s onward? Is it more indicative of who she is as a person and a politician than collectively everything else she has said and, more importantly, done? Does it negate her voting record? Or the time and work she's put in advocating causes important to African Americans, or her outreach to our communities? I've concluded the answer to all of that is "no." If her support from our demo is any indication, most rational black voters have also concluded the answer is "no."

Now, your turn. Detail the ways in which Hillary Clinton has perpetuated racist stereotypes beyond this endlessly regurgitated story. I'm a huge fan of receipts; Show them. Then, once you are done, elaborate on how her losing this election helps black people and furthers the causes you just exploited in an attempt to garner street cred.

I can tell you that NC will probably vote republican without a good minority turn out, but I would not say it is safe for the republican vote. I consider it a toss up or swing state at present. Tillis and Romney have pissed off even the most diehard racist homophobes here and have ruined the economy. Then again, all Trump needs to do is say something like "Bring God back to our schools" and that's that.

But you know, if she don't need any extra lift to win that's cool.
Just win, you old hag.

Elandyll

Banned
It's funny how much there is talk about these new polls over the past two days and so very little mention (some did though) that pollsters just switched to the "Likely Voter" model which can hugely favor conservative candidates because they purposefully disregard a portion of the minority vote.

This being said, better be scared and move your butt to vote, than complacent and lazy.

If you are a minority and do not vote at all (or vote for a 3rd party, or worse Trump), I really don't know what to say to you.

I may be white, straight and middle class with stable income, but I know what's coming and I won't be the one suffering through the next 8 years under Trump, or for the next two generations with an ultra conservative Supreme Court.
I'll be pissed that the 1% get to have even more though, sure, but the suffering will mostly be internally at seeing the poor, the LGBT, racial minorities and students treated like 3rd class citizens only good to be milked of whatever debt they can rack up for the rest of their lives, while being further disenfranchised as conservatives push for more gerrymandering to prevent demographics from turning the tides, and ostracized as the alt right gets more and more emboldened.

Not surprising. Almost all of my black friends are very outspoken against Hillary for various reasons.

One of them said, "You think Obama had a tough enough time as president because he was black? Imagine how hard it'll be on a woman. I wouldn't want to be responsible for putting that on someone". Or something similarly stupid.

Another is a black muslim who just doesn't like the idea of a woman being in charge of things. Also, he's bitter about Bernie not getting the ticket.

If Hillary does lose, the GAF disillusion will be so massive, it'll collapse into itself creating a virtual-singularity that'll destroy the entire internet.

Trump is trash, but I find this level of hyperbole a bit silly. While I'm sure fear is a motivator for some, I'm sure it also turns off a good number of others.

Pence will be the real guy in charge. Roe v Wade for example is in jeopardy if Trump/Pence get to stack the court.

They only need one extra judge on top of filling Scalia's seat to tear down the Kennedy swing firewall that has protected abortion and gay rights since basically the 90s.

It's laughable to suggest that I am fear mongering when I merely believe they will do what they campaign on.

RPGCrazied

Pence will be the real guy in charge. Roe v Wade for example is in jeopardy if Trump/Pence get to stack the court.

They only need one extra judge on top of filling Scalia's seat to tear down the Kennedy swing firewall that has protected abortion and gay rights since basically the 90s.

It's laughable to suggest that I am fear mongering when I merely believe they will do what they campaign on.

The one thing I hate Pence over is he believes in conversion therapy for gay people. That makes my blood boil. I'd rather Trump be President over Pence.

Gay marriage and abortion aren't going anywhere. We probably won't see any progress in these areas with Trump in office, but I can't see the clock being set back.

Also, I can't see Pence "steering the ship." Trump is well documented as being a very hands-on executive.. Almost to the level of micromanagement. He's also fairly socially liberal as well when not pandering to the religious right.

Gay marriage and abortion aren't going anywhere. We probably won't see any progress in these areas with Trump in office, but I can't see the clock being set back.

This is extremely dangerous thinking and you only need to look at voting rights to see how easily progress can be slowly dismantled over time. Or abortion, which has been weakened significantly over the last few decades.

Also, I can't see Pence "steering the ship." Trump is well documented as being a very hands-on executive.. Almost to the level of micromanagement. He's also fairly socially liberal as well when not pandering to the religious right.

Based on what?

The only thing stopping conservative states from bannin abortion outright is Roe v Wade. It takes one lawsuit and a conservative court to take it down

Abortion has been under assault from conservative legislatures for decades amd it's ramped up since 2011.

There is nothing to believe that abortion is safe with total Republican control.

Trump has already said Pence would handle day to day.

The idea that Trump is fairly socially liberal is horseshit.

Thank god.

Sorry literally impossible to tell sometimes

Ted Cruz or Marco Rubio would have made this election so much more difficult for Hillary. She's going to win against Trump but I don't see her winning the second term.

RPGCrazied

Dont worry, you will get them both.

We will see. But at least me and my entire family will be voting for her. I know it won't do much being from Texas. But I'm not going to contribute to him winning. If he somehow did, at least I can say I voted against that.

I know how much is at stake. I'm not even that much of a Hillary supporter. I voted for Bernie during the primaries. I just know now its not the time to be all mad cause my candidate didn't win. In my mind a vote for 3rd party or not for her is a vote for Trump. And not voting at all isn't helping either. Don't have much of a choice as a liberal. Its either get her elected or kiss everything that Obama has done goodbye.

Monster Zero

What angers me the most is we literally have to settle for Hillary, im positive any other nominee would be running away with this, this wasn't the time for Hillary, yet it's the easiest time, and ole girl is passing out on twitter and shit, this whole election is a gong show. The black vote is such a fickle thing at the moment, my mom is voting for Hill, just to "Get bill back in the chair" like he's going to secretly do all the work. Shits nuts

From where I'm standing (non-American) she seems like the lesser of two evils. Certainly doesn't come across as someone who actually represents Black and Hispanic people, that's for damn sure, so I'm not surprised.

Kreed

Good analysis here.

Full article: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/15/u...n-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news&_r=0

I don't know, guys. It's gonna be rather close :(

Most articles I've seen in regards to Black/Latino voters use comparisons to the 2012 election as showing why Trump is either going to do as good or worse than Mitt Romney did with those groups, following the idea that these groups cost Mitt Romney the 2012 election. Even if Hillary's numbers with Black and Latino voters are lower than Obama's by the same margin as Trump and Mitt Romney, the point of those articles is still valid in regards to Trumps' low chances of winning without improving those numbers, especially when you consider Trump is doing worse with every other group in comparison to Mitt Romney, particularly women. Unless Hillary is losing Latino and Black vote by even greater margins than Trump, the 2012 election comparisons still work.

#NotMyAbuela

I'll probably still vote for her, but man it sucks to have to vote for someone you don't like just so someone you really don't like doesn't win.

trembli0s

This year is off because the nominally Republican candidate is actually wildly off the reservation with respect to normal Republican policies.

Child care and the imposition of tariffs have never been a Republican position and yet Trump is out on the trail espousing those policies. Same deal with Medicaid/care, which are normally Republican bogeymen.

Additionally, Clinton's favorability ratings are pretty much garbage. Trump has historically low support but if those groups are just disgusted with the whole process and don't vote at all it affects Hillary much more than it would Trump.

Gutek

Trump is going to win. I honestly think he is.

Agree. Hillary is running a horrible, downright shitty campaign.

Her campaign has no control over the narrative, her messaging is muddled (what does "I'm with her" even mean?), she can't shake those pesky emails, she has yet to deliver a landmark speech (the highlight of the campaign was Michelle's), etc.

She's constantly on the defensive, trying to make the narrative about stopping Donald Trump, while Trump is always on message: System is rigged, Hillary crooked, we will build a wall, and make America great again.

noshten

Most articles I've seen in regards to Black/Latino voters use comparisons to the 2012 election as showing why Trump is either going to do as good or worse than Mitt Romney did with those groups, following the idea that these groups cost Mitt Romney the 2012 election. Even if Hillary's numbers with Black and Latino voters are lower than Obama's by the same margin as Trump and Mitt Romney, the point of those articles is still valid in regards to Trumps' low chances of winning without improving those numbers, especially when you consider Trump is doing worse with every other group in comparison to Mitt Romney, particularly women. Unless Hillary is losing Latino and Black vote by even greater margins than Trump, the 2012 election comparisons still work.

The 2012 election had like 6 million fewer white voters than 2008, that's actually what probably cost Romney any chance in the election(depending on how they are distributed among key states).

Trump would likely get more first time voters than any previous Republican nominee in the last 20 years. That's the main worry - all those impoverished white households that don't vote, are politically disengaged and have no higher education. I think that the nature of Trumps campaign will get a lot of those people to the polls since it's the first time there is a political campaign that is enough of a circus for these people to care. I don't think the bolded part is going to be suprising - it's all about Hillary's campaign focusing on the right states so this doesn't become a problem.

In any case concentrating on Trumps lunacy has hurt the Clinton campaign - it be much better to have the platform and plans front and center rather than giving Trump more free airtime. The media might not care but it's a fools errand to try and control the media narrative - since all they care about is ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom