• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (December 2016)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Orujv.jpg

Join www.goodreads.com and join the NeoGAF Group.

Support GAF authors:

aidan (Hugo Award winner): http://aidanmoher.com/blog/ / Tide of Shadows and Other Stories
AngmarsKing701: Ahvarra: The Heart of the World
cosmicblizzard: Freeze Kill
Elfforkusu: Wrath of Flight
Fidelis Hodie: Derek Agons Slays a Dragon
H.Protagonist: Dead Endings
Hop: The Latte Segment
Plasticine Live Undead
UCBooties Trumpocalypse NEW!
whatevermort: The Explorer; No Harm Can Come to a Good Man; Long Dark Dusk by James Smythe

GAF Recommends!

Education/History
Book Recommendations for Particular Areas of Study
Best Factual Books on War (WWI/WW2 and Beyond)
History Books

General/Fiction
Recommend me books with pretty prose
I need a book
Essential books for a non-reader
Page turners (suspense)
Recommend me Historical Novels
What are your favorite books?
Recommend Me a Book and I'll Read It
Short stories
Spy & Espionage Fiction
Reading is .. Fun?
Philosophical Fiction
Top 5 Books of 2013 as voted by GAF
Novels with great world building
Non-western literature
Must Read Books That Came Out in the Past 10 Years
Books of 2010
Lengthy Books
Summer Reading

Sci-fi/Fantasy
Stephen King Books
Recommend a book that feels like Dark Souls
The Best Science Fiction/Space Opera Books
Cyberpunk (Note: Not just book recommendations)
Cyberpunk Fiction
Fantasy Literature
Epic Fantasy
Fast Pace Action Sci-Fi/Fantasy Books
Fantasy and Science Fiction That is Worth Reading
Best Sci-Fi You've Ever Read
NPR Top 100 of Sci-Fi/Fantasy as of 2011
Fantasy Recommendations
Modern Fantasy and Hidden Gems
Post-apocalpytic Books
Forgotten Sci-Fi Novels
Space Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Fantasy Books
Dresden's Favorite Sci-Fi and Fantasy
Sci-Fi Novel Series
Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Horror
Vampire Lore
Modern Literary Horror Fiction
Can books be scary?
Horror Fiction
Scary Books

Audiobooks
Audiobook recommendations
Help me choose books from Audible
Great audiobooks
What's your favorite audiobook?

Explore
Amazon's 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
Goodreads 100 Books to Read in a Lifetime
The 40 Best Sci-Fi Books According to Reddit
100 Books Every High School Student Should Read
100 Greatest Sci Fi Novels
100 Best Novels
The Sci-Fi Masterworks List
Africa's 100 Best Books of the 20th Century

Kindle Links
Free Kindle Books
Amazon Kindle Search - set alerts for free or price drop Kindle books

Online Book Stores
http://www.bookdepository.com/ Free shipping World Wide, cheap.
http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/ Free shipping Word Wide, cheap.

Sci-Fi & Fantasy
http://fantasyhotlist.blogspot.com/
http://aidanmoher.com/blog/
http://fantasybookcritic.blogspot.com/

Free Audio Books
http://podcastle.org/ Free Fantasy audio books.
http://www.archive.org/details/audio All sorts of stuff.

Shelved Threads
What are you reading? (October 2016)
What are you reading? (September 2016)
What are you reading? (August 2016)
What are you reading? (July 2016)
What are you reading? (June 2016)
What are you reading? (May 2016)
What are you reading? (April 2016)
What are you reading? (March 2016)
What are you reading? (February 2016)
What are you reading? (January 2016)
What are you reading? (December 2015)
What are you reading? (November 2015)
What are you reading? (October 2015)
What are you reading? (September 2015)
What are you reading? (August 2015)
What are you reading? (July 2015)
What are you reading? (June 2015)
What are you reading? (May 2015)
What are you reading? (April 2015)
What are you reading? (March 2015)
What are you reading? (February 2015)
What are you reading? (January 2015)
What are you reading? (December 2014)
What are you reading? (November 2014)
What are you reading? (October 2014)
What are you reading? (September 2014)
What are you reading? (August 2014)
What are you reading? (July 2014)
What are you reading? (June 2014)
What are you reding? (May 2014)
What are you reading? (April 2014)
What are you reading? (March 2014)
What are you reading? (February 2014)
What are you reading? (January 2014)
What are you reading? (December 2013)
What are you reading? (November 2013)
What are you reading? (October 2013)
What are you reading? (September 2013)
What are you reading? (August 2013)
What are you reading? (July 2013)
What are you reading? (June 2013)
What are you reading? (May 2013)
What are you reading? (April 2013)
What are you reading? (March 2013)
What are you reading? (February 2013)
What are you reading? (January 2013)
What are you reading? (December 2012)
What are you reading? (November 2012)
What are you reading? (October 2012)
What are you reading? (September 2012)
What are you reading? (August 2012)
What are you reading? (July 2012)
What are you reading? (June 2012)
What are you reading? (May 2012)
What are you reading? (April 2012)
What are you reading? (March 2012)
What are you reading? (February 2012)
What are you reading? (January 2012)
What are you reading? (December 2011)
What are you reading? (November 2011)
What are you reading? (October 2011)
What are you reading? (September 2011)
What are you reading? (August 2011)
What are you reading? (July 2011)
What are you reading? (June 2011)
What are you reading? (May 2011)
What are you reading? (April 2011)
What are you reading (March 2011)
What are you reading (February 2011)
What are you reading (January 2011)

neoanarch

I got this absolutely beautiful edition of Ulysses. I tried reading it digitally but for whatever reason I could not concentrate. So I went out to a used book store and was so lucky to find this.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Bout 3/4 of the way done with The Lies of Locke Lamora.

The shit really, really hits the fan. I could see a movie adaptation being really fun.

Soulfire

Going to put this in here since there's a new thread

I just finished reading The Aeronaut's Windlass by Jim Butcher and loved it. I've read the first six or so Dresden Files books and never really got into them. Does anyone have any recommendations for something similar to The Aeronaut's Windlass? I loved the fact that it had really good female characters, I liked the world and the fact that it didn't focus a ton on the steampunkesqueness of the tech. I just really loved the book and I'm feeling deflated after reading it because I don't know anything else like it and the sequel doesn't have a release date yet. Thanks

Mumei

I got this absolutely beautiful edition of Ulysses. I tried reading it digitally but for whatever reason I could not concentrate. So I went out to a used book store and was so lucky to find this.

Everyman's Library editions are certainly nice.

Mike M

Nick N
Picked back up Where All Light Tends To Go and boy oh boy I consistently hate young adult novels.

I frequently buy YA novels by mistake when they're on a Kindle sales for a buck or two, and I always end up wanting my money back.

I was reading Jules Verne and HG Wells when I was 9. Up your game, kids.

Rhoc

I'm currently reading two books The Shining and Hard-Boiled Wonderland And The End Of The World

Both incredible so far.

fakefaker

In a hardcore reading session last night, I wrapped up The Doomed City by Arkady Strugatsky and Boris Strugatsky. It's a pretty amazing book with some serious themes and scary concepts. I'll have to look into some of their other works.

Now to chew through Jaws by Peter Benchley.

941283.jpg

neoanarch

Everyman's Library editions are certainly nice.

Yeah, I've been tempted to buy a couple by them because they seem nice so that's good that other people with experience like them.

I still really want these even with having no actual need for buying them:

http://www.penguin.com/static/pages/classics/penguindropcaps.php
Digital is nice but there is something so completing about a pretty book.

On the digital front I'm reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, Fifth Season by Jemisin and Ocean of Storms by Mari and Brown.

LordAmused

Started reading 1Q84 by Haruki Murakami. He definitely tops my list of the best modern authors. Halfway through the first book and I can't wait to see where it will lead me.

10357575.jpg

Mumei

I mean...

I saw that endorsement from Deepak Chopra and gave it the side-eye, but I hope you're enjoying yourself~

Digital is nice but there is something so completing about a pretty book.

On the digital front I'm reading Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson, Fifth Season by Jemisin and Ocean of Storms by Mari and Brown.

Yes!

Yeah, I've been tempted to buy a couple by them because they seem nice so that's good that other people with experience like them.

I still really want these even with having no actual need for buying them:

http://www.penguin.com/static/pages/classics/penguindropcaps.php

My expensive book-pining is mostly devoted to out of print Taschen art books...

D:

JonnyKong

I got an email this morning to say "The Essex Serpent" has won the Waterstone's book of the year. Has anybody here read it?

About 3/4 of the way through The Shining. Enjoying it quite a bit.

Love The Shining, definitely in my top five King novels. I'm not very good at ranking favourites, but The Shining is right up there. The sequel is really nice too btw :)

Still on The Scar, yea, really great as expected. I loved his descriptions of the various quarters of Armada, Mieville builds most thoughtful interesting world.

Wvrs

Le Livre des Baltimore, by Joel Dicker.

Currently making my way through this. I've been learning French for nearly a year now, mostly taught myself but spent a month in France on an intense language course. I'm finally at a point where I can (slowly!) read this, which is great because it's the sequel to a book I loved and there's no English translation release date for this yet. I struggle with some of the vocabulary, but Kindle's built-in dictionaries are a godsend there.

As for a book I can actually read in less than a month, I just finished Revelation Space (wasn't the biggest fan) and now I might read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, by James Joyce.

Love The Shining, definitely in my top five King novels. I'm not very good at ranking favourites, but The Shining is right up there. The sequel is really nice too btw :)

Still on The Scar, yea, really great as expected. I loved his descriptions of the various quarters of Armada, Mieville builds most thoughtful interesting world.

I think the only other King books I've read were The Stand (absolutely loved it, but I read it 20+ years ago) and Dreamcatcher (which was the absolute definition of mediocre).

I am definitely liking The Shining. It has done a pretty good job of building to where I am now, so I'm hoping the payoff is worth it.

Started Ship of Fools a few days ago. Decent read, wondering what is going to happen. Probably finish it later this week, on 70% already.

24827.jpg

Just started The Graveyard Book by Gaiman. The only other thing I've read by him was Sandman Vol 1 (I really need to read the rest one day). It seems short though. I kind of bought it to have something to read when I go down to Mexico in a couple of weeks, but I'm thinking I'll be through it by then. What would be the next thing I should read by him?

kswiston

I am still plodding through the final 10-15% of Arcanum Unbounded.

Do the English translations of the Murakami books read well? If so, which is the most accessible?

Just started The Graveyard Book by Gaiman. The only other thing I've read by him was Sandman Vol 1 (I really need to read the rest one day). It seems short though. I kind of bought it to have something to read when I go down to Mexico in a couple of weeks, but I'm thinking I'll be through it by then. What would be the next thing I should read by him?

Probably American Gods, as it's his most recognizable and best-selling novel and is being turned into a TV show. If you plan on watching the show at all, then having the novel under your belt is likely good background.

That being said, Neverwhere, Stardust and The Ocean at the End of the Lane are all very good and I'd recommend them. I started with Gaiman by reading Good Omens, his collaboration with Terry Pratchett, and ever since I've been enamored with his novels. Oddly enough I've never read Sandman, but then the couple of times I've tried to read graphic novels I just haven't been able to get into them.

Mike M

Nick N
Started Ship of Fools a few days ago. Decent read, wondering what is going to happen. Probably finish it later this week, on 70% already.
Prepare to be disappointed.

Meanwhile, I'm back to reading my usual speculative fiction after my dalliance into non-fiction and other genres.

%7B4585702C-99FE-4DFC-BEDF-05F55BEC577A%7DImg100.jpg

I'm not far into this, but already it's the sort of book that makes me want to quit writing because I will never be this good

kswiston

Probably American Gods, as it's his most recognizable and best-selling novel and is being turned into a TV show. If you plan on watching the show at all, then having the novel under your belt is likely good background.

That being said, Neverwhere, Stardust and The Ocean at the End of the Lane are all very good and I'd recommend them. I started with Gaiman by reading Good Omens, his collaboration with Terry Pratchett, and ever since I've been enamored with his novels. Oddly enough I've never read Sandman, but then the couple of times I've tried to read graphic novels I just haven't been able to get into them.

I agree with all of this. His children's fiction is decent as well (I think that Graveyard book is technically in that category, or at least Young Adult).

As for the Sandman comic, Vol 1 is the weakest volume and not really indicative of the rest of the series. Eventually Gaiman gives up on trying to make the book a horror title and fully embraces the fantasy/mythology aspects (though there continues to be some dark stuff). The longer story volumes (Vol 2, 4, 5, 7, and 9) are all excellent. My favourite of those being A Game of You (vol 5). The volumes collecting the various one shot stories (Vol 3, 6 and 8) have some good stuff too. Volume 10 is basically a series of wrap up issues (The series climax is Vol 9), but all of the callbacks to earlier protagonists and guest characters is very satisfying.

The second volume of Don Rosa Scrooge collection is in at the library, as is the Fantastic Beasts screenplay. Can't wait to pick them up today.

Still plugging away at my reading list, going to hit 130 this week, I think. Next year will see a dip since I doubt my son will want me reading to him much longer. Speaking of which, the next book I'm reading to him will probably be Animal Farm.

I'm Thinking of Ending Things was an interesting book. I thought it was a book about suicide but then on the very first page you see it's about a relationship.
Then you finish it and it's about suicide.
Kind of a mind fuck, and it's a very fast read.

kevin1025

Banned
Prepare to be disappointed.

Meanwhile, I'm back to reading my usual speculative fiction after my dalliance into non-fiction and other genres.

%7B4585702C-99FE-4DFC-BEDF-05F55BEC577A%7DImg100.jpg

I'm not far into this, but already it's the sort of book that makes me want to quit writing because I will never be this good

I could use one of those kinds of books right about now. Putting it on my neverending list!

I'm reading

I'm in the Star Wars mood, so I'm reading this and then Catalyst back to back before Rogue One. I'm only 15% in so I'm just starting to get into the story, but so far so good. Claudia Gray wrote Lost Stars, so I have a ton of faith.

And then once I'm done with those I'll *sigh* return to Fall of Giants by Ken Follett. One day I'll finish the damn thing.

DemWalls

Just started Nights of Villjamur by Mark Newton. Let's see, I really know nothing about this one, not even if it's generally well liked or not.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Just started Nights of Villjamur by Mark Newton. Let's see, I really know nothing about this one, not even if it's generally well liked or not.

Huh. Not a book I was expecting to see pop up here. It's weird (like, China Mieville weird), and a little uneven, but does a lot of interesting things. Looking forward to your thoughts.

Paertan

qYMdfHG.jpg

Swedish dystopian novel. Electronics are knocked out. Society falls. Can't stop reading. it is amazing! Don't know if it has been translated to english but probably will because it is really popular.

hampig

41RMA3dAygL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Still too early to tell how I feel about it, just started it last night. Pretty excited to see where it goes though. I like the writing style a lot.

TTG

In a hardcore reading session last night, I wrapped up The Doomed City by Arkady Strugatsky and Boris Strugatsky. It's a pretty amazing book with some serious themes and scary concepts. I'll have to look into some of their other works.

Roadside Picnic. I don't know if the translation is any good, but it's a classic, and in a great way.

As for my reading:

41YrvEh3tgL._SX307_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

He is like the Robin Hood of Central Asia, sort of. It's light, funny, clever. A novel that's packed with parables, I'm enjoying it.

Mumei

41RMA3dAygL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Still too early to tell how I feel about it, just started it last night. Pretty excited to see where it goes though. I like the writing style a lot.

I did not like it as much as Seiobo There Below (my first Krasznahorkai), personally, but it was still very good. I'd like to see the movie, but I haven't had the chance.

Devoured Clive Barker's Hellbound Heart for the second time. Realized that the opening chapter is masterful and one of my favorites in all that I've read. Reacquainting with the novella really gave me the desire to read The Scarlet Gospels for more Cenobite shenanigans but I really wonder if the mystique the book gave to the Gash and their world won't be spoiled by it same way Hellraiser was screwed by its multiple unnecessary sequels.

Mumei

I finished reading Patricia A. McKillip's Dreams of Distant Shores, which is a collection of her short fiction—some old, some new. The stories were all at least "good" and the best were excellent. It also comes with a brief essay by Peter S. Beagle which is really just an excuse for him to stan.

Cyanity

Banned
About 1/5th of the way through Infinite Jest. It took me ages to get here, but things are starting to piece together + the story is pulling me farther in with each page. I'm also reading through Mort by Terry Pratchett again, mostly as a destresser from this election.

Mike M

Nick N
Devoured Clive Barker's Hellbound Heart for the second time. Realized that the opening chapter is masterful and one of my favorites in all that I've read. Reacquainting with the novella really gave me the desire to read The Scarlet Gospels for more Cenobite shenanigans but I really wonder if the mystique the book gave to the Gash and their world won't be spoiled by it same way Hellraiser was screwed by its multiple unnecessary sequels.
The Scarlet Gospels was kind of not great. Pinhead and Hell are both considerably revised, so if you're wanting more Hellbound Heart, you're bound to be disappointed.

DemWalls

Huh. Not a book I was expecting to see pop up here. It's weird (like, China Mieville weird), and a little uneven, but does a lot of interesting things. Looking forward to your thoughts.

I'll gladly post my impressions here, but it will take a while, I'm a very, very slow reader :(

As for the bolded, how come?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom