• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony: geohot is altering evidence and fleeing to South America, Geohot: No I'm not

Melchiah

TommyT said:
So now he "fled" to delay? :lol

Read it again.

In light of Hotz’s failure to comply with his discovery obligations and the still outstanding third party jurisdictional discovery, SCEA proposed a two-week extension of all briefing and hearing deadlines relating to Hotz’s Motion to Dismiss. Bricker Decl., ¶5, Exh. D. Hotz refused, stating that SCEA would have its discovery by the time of the hearing. Id. He completely ignored the fact that SCEA’s opposition deadline was approaching. Hotz also rejected outright SCEA’s second attempt to arrange for an inspection of his PS3 Systems and tried to evade his court-ordered deposition, stating that it was unnecessary. Id.

Despite Judge Spero’s orders, Hotz continues to frustrate all attempts to complete jurisdictional discovery. In yet another attempt to avoid his deposition and a limited inspection of his impounded hard drives, on March 17, 2011, Hotz filed a motion for protective order on issues already decided by Judge Spero. (Docket No. 100.) On the same day, TIG discovered that prior to delivery, Hotz had removed integral components from his impounded hard drives, rendering them completely non-functional. Bricker Decl., ¶21, Exh. S. When SCEA echoed TIG’s request that the components of the hard drives be delivered immediately, Hotz’s counsel responded that Hotz was in South America.Id

TommyT said:
The court won't assume either.

They don't have to.

It is important to note that tampering is not the accidental destruction or modification of evidence, it is only if the individual had reason to believe the material or item was part of an investigation.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
PaperBoy_JJ said:
How is this “kid” going on vacation any different from a college “kid” accepting financial aid and then going off on spring break? If you were faced with the legal issues this “kid” is being hit with wouldn’t you want to get away if only for a moment?

Fine, but don't ask for donations.

Zoe

eastmen said:
who says he hasn't ?

TheIntelligenceGroup

PaperBoy_JJ said:
How is this “kid” going on vacation any different from a college “kid” accepting financial aid and then going off on spring break?

You know you could get in trouble for using your financial aid for anything other than school and living expenses, right?

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
PaperBoy_JJ said:
How is this “kid” going on vacation any different from a college “kid” accepting financial aid and then going off on spring break? If you were faced with the legal issues this “kid” is being hit with wouldn’t you want to get away if only for a moment?

Because a college kid isn't necessarily getting sued into oblivion, and then taking donations to pay for the lawsuit but possibly spending it on a vacation.

If allowed to make guesses, I'll say he fled to S.A. and made sure his hard drives can't be read, so Sony will never know how he ripped into their security.

He probably has backups in S.A., friends letting him live there, and will continue hacking.

C Jones said:
Alright, so you are doing it for the cause and not the individual. But in the end you still have to believe in this person enough to think they will actually do the right thing with the money. Do you still believe that he's trustworthy/responsible enough not to screw people over? What made you believe he was responsible enough in the first place?

I'm not attacking you; legit questions.

Good questions.

The donation (not a lot of money I might add, but that's neither here or there) came about because of building frustration over what a Sony victory would lead to. I think this was coupled by (in previous threads) a terrifying number of gamers supporting and cheerleading on as Sony tried to remove their rights. It was (and is) a maddening, frustrating experience to see people support their own consumer freedom's being redefined for the worse. It was coupled with another infuriating phenomenon, people cheering Sony on as they removed their own privately-owned product's functionality with OtherOS. I don't think there's been anything in the industry as abhorent, and as frustrating as these events, at least to me.

When the donations were asked for, an opportunity presented itself in which I could potentially help influence that outcome of this madness in some tiny way. It requred me to assume that George would use the money as promised, to fight his corner and (consequently) not allow Sony their worrying victory on this matter.

I didn't and still don't believe Geohot is trustworthy, responsible or likeable. As said many times, its a shame that he's the person targeted by Sony's legal onslaught, because under any other circumstances I wouldn't care if he won or lost anything. But even with the possibility of him doing something untoward with the funds, I still felt it was worth the risk. Even if this recent story has any merit, I still don't regret that decision in any way.

PetriP-TNT said:
You are pretty naive, aren't you? Not as if it wasn't obvious from the earlier geohot threads but this is just silly.

If you find me ignorant then enlighten me.

Geohot is in South America, I'm not pretending to know how or why. I'd like some evidence to inform a conclusion. If you'd like to lift my naivety, you could provide me evidence to help me reach your conclusion. That would be an argument, something we don't see enough of in a thread full of uninformed comments about apparent fraud and comments about an irrelevant rap video that people make because they think it makes a point.

Chacranajxy said:
Mama Robotnick, who's still reprising his role.

Happy to be labelled a clown, if that's the given name for someone who likes to complete a conclusion based on evidence rather than just reading the thread title and going from there.

Cmagus

RustyNails said:
Financial aid != donations from people

Financial aid has to be paid back if he took peoples money they aren't getting that back.Not everyone agrees with what this guy did and for those who donated if he did take the money and run I'd be downright pissed as well.

JWong

Banned
TOAO_Cyrus said:
Yes it helps Sony's bottom line which is why they are doing this in the first place. I am sure some publishers will try to crack down on mods in the future since they might eat into DLC sales. The best example was Apple locking down the iPhone to try to force people to buy only from the app store. The point is companies shouldn't be able to hide behind copyright law to limit consumer rights to make more money.
It's not just Sony's bottom line. It's the entire industry.

Anyone who makes games for PS3 or Playstation devices are screwed by piracy.

lifa-cobex

Angry Fork said:
How does this affect anyone except the people who donated? We also simply don't know whether this was a family trip or whether he did pay for it using the donation money. Nobody knows the circumstances, and yet everyone is flying off the handle.

I understand it's fun to do this because it's a big story and it's lulz and all that, but there's a substantial group of people in this thread that seem to have their heart desired on the death of this guy or something. Like they spend every waking moment here defending Sony, calling him a criminal/pirate etc. like WHY. There is literally no reason for them to have so much animosity, especially if they never supported the homebrew stuff to begin with.

That's why he's saying a lot of the hate comes from people blindly defending Sony, because that seems like the only logical case. Not for everyone in here, but certainly the loudest of the bunch.

And I'm sure there are plenty of other hackers who are carrying on what geohot started so it's not like the 'movement' or whatever has crumpled to the ground or anything. The other guys are just doing stuff quietly until they finish whatever they're gonna finish.

I do agree that i might be jumping a bit to far but as i said.

lifa-cobex said:
However i would have thought he would have posted a defence stating facts by now.
BUT i do agree with you on that one.

Plus if he is absolutely stone broke as i was lead to believe when he was asking people for donations, I don't see how him going on holiday is a good idea.

If he's 21 and having his parents pay for EVERYTHING and yet still has a pop at Sony while asking for handouts. It just makes him look like a tit.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nairume said:
We don't know this yet.

All we know is that he's being a little immature about the harddrive thing and that he went on a vacation. I repeat: any further speculation is kind of silly at this point until we know more about what is going on.
Something tells me that explanation won't hold up too well in court.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Honestly I think he has every intention of coming back to the states. Still, what a crazy case this is turning out to be.

darkwing

lifa-cobex said:
I do agree that i might be jumping a bit to far but as i said.

Plus if he is absolutely stone broke as i was lead to believe when he was asking people for donations, I don't see how him going on holiday is a good idea.

If he's 21 and having his parents pay for EVERYTHING and yet still has a pop at Sony while asking for handouts. It just makes him look like a tit.

he was asking donation for legal fees, not travel money, he wasn't misleading anyone

Angry Fork

phosphor112 said:
You do realize how much this screws up future cases against the DMCA right? If Sony wins, this case will be referenced for companies trying to enforce the DMCA legally.
I'm of the opinion that these kinds of things change over time based on what's popular/going on during that time period. So even if Sony won this case, i'm not convinced it would stand for long. We're constantly becoming more technology savvy each new generation and 5+ years from now a new generation of people will try to hack the next console, but they'll have an even better defense force and so on, and whatever pro-Sony ruling is made now will be changed.

These kinds of corporations vs. hacker stuff isn't going to fly anymore. Hackers will always be ahead of the curb and the ever growing abundance of technology in our daily lives will only help/nurture that culture as time goes on. Right now we're in a transitioning period, inbetween the old days where you'd buy a console just to play games and that's it, transitioning into an era where we want our devices to do everything possible, and younger people will know what these devices are capable of.

tl;dr version - If Sony wins, it won't last long (like banning gay marriage, it's just a product of the times and it will be overturned eventually, I know that's a ridiculous analogy, but meh =p). If Sony loses, then people will be able to do what they want with their consoles and that's that.

Zoe said:
You know you could get in trouble for using your financial aid for anything other than school and living expenses, right?
And I thought people defending Sony were coming up with ridiculous analogies.

Danny Dudekisser

Mama Robotnik said:
If you find me ignorant then enlighten me.

Geohot is in South America, I'm not pretending to know how or why. I'd like some evidence to inform a conclusion. If you'd like to lift my naivety, you could provide me evidence to help me reach your conclusion. That would be an argument, something we don't see enough of in a thread full of uninformed comments about apparent fraud and comments about an irrelevant rap video that people make because they think it makes a point.

You have the evidence. You should consider deductive reasoning.

JackEtc

Now I'm just visualizing that favela level in Modern Warfare 2's campaign, but Sony mercenaries are chasing Geohot.

Mithos

Chacranajxy said:
Do you honestly buy into your own logic?
Curufinwe said:
He's still violating the judge's discovery order by tampering with the drives before turning them over.
You guys are REALLY scaring me...

What you are saying is pretty much you can't do whatever you want with your stuff, because someone sometime in the future might sue you and that it might be called tampering with evidence if you are not running the hardware the way "most" usually does.

Danny Dudekisser

Mithos said:

What you are saying is pretty much you can't do whatever you want with your stuff, because someone sometime in the future might sue you and that it might be called tampering with evidence if you are not running the hardware the way "most" usually does.

Clearly

PaperBoy_JJ said:
Grants and loans can be used however you want, though taking donation money for a certain cause and using it for something else is probably fraud or something of that nature.

darkwing

Mithos said:

yup im running my HDD without the HD controllers too

JWong

Banned
darkwing said:
he was asking donation for legal fees, not travel money, he wasn't misleading anyone
Not misleading, just outright lied.

He has no credibility or showed any obligation to funnel the money to where he said it would be going. No one can prove if he did or did not use the money to travel, but his personality and background says he did.

lifa-cobex

darkwing said:

If he has travel money, That should go towards to he legal fee's first. Saving prior to the case or not.

Speevy

Banned
He's on a beach with his laptop, sipping drinks while hacking consoles and screwing whores.

He just used your donation money to tip the waiter.

TommyT

Melchiah said:
Read it again.

Why are you inferring something that isn't being implied
in the bolded you quoted the first time and is again bolded here
? :lol

Melchiah said:
They don't have to.

From what you're posting they do - I'm not talking about the tampering, that shit is obvious. Unless they PROVE
which this doesn't without assumption
that he is delaying by going out of country then there is no reason for the court to believe anything other than this being utter happenstance that he went on a vacation when he did.

Nairume

Banned
SapientWolf said:
Something tells me that explanation won't hold up too well in court.
What? That he went on vacation? The documents in the OP even show that Sony is well aware that he was presently out of the country.

Angry Fork said:
I'm of the opinion that these kinds of things change over time based on what's popular/going on during that time period. So even if Sony won this case, i'm not convinced it would stand for long. We're constantly becoming more technology savvy each new generation and 5+ years from now a new generation of people will try to hack the next console, but they'll have an even better defense force and so on, and whatever pro-Sony ruling is made now will be changed.

These kinds of corporations vs. hacker stuff isn't going to fly anymore. Hackers will always be ahead of the curb and the ever growing abundance of technology in our daily lives will only help/nurture that culture as time goes on. Right now we're in a transitioning period, inbetween the old days where you'd buy a console just to play games and that's it, transitioning into an era where we want our devices to do everything possible, and younger people will know what these devices are capable of.

tl;dr version - If Sony wins, it won't last long (like banning gay marriage, it's just a product of the times and it will be overturned eventually, I know that's a ridiculous analogy, but meh =p). If Sony loses, then people will be able to do what they want with their consoles and that's that.

As someone going into Media Arts and Sciences, I only think things will get harder for consumers. Not necessarily taking away their rights, but as I've mentioned before, convergence of all media forms onto devices put companies and people at risk when security is breached. Hell, the government is already wanting to switch to RFID's on our ID cards... security is only going to be more and more relevant to our lives.

GavinGT said:
This was actually his plan all along. He just wanted to move to a place that was geographically hotter.
I can't help but think it took you 10 minutes of starring at these pages to think of something witty to say. :lol

It's ok, I'd be in that same boat =P

FLEABttn

Banned
Mama Robotnik said:
I think this was coupled by (in previous threads) a terrifying number of gamers supporting and cheerleading on as Sony tried to remove their rights.

DMCA has been law since 1998. Sony hasn't tried to remove your rights. They haven't been there for more than a decade.

Danny Dudekisser

Mama Robotnik said:
Show me deductive reasoning.

Seriously, you think I'm naive, then make an effort to educate me. Convince me that you are right.

You've proven time and again in this thread and prior ones that you are unwilling to listen or even consider other people's positions. I see no point in this.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Mithos said:

..... Oh jeez.

PaperBoy_JJ

Neo Member
Not all financial aid has to be paid back there are grants, scholar ships and various other means of financial aid. The financial aid some times comes from tax payers much like the people who donated money to his cause. It is just regulated by the government or some other organization. Aid is aid, be it in the form or a donation or a grant or what ever it may be. Is he also supposed to only eat off the dollar menu because he accepted donations from people? What do you mean he got a steak last night for dinner I gave him 10 bucks to help with his legal fees… Come on people.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Mithos said:

lol

Modifying something after you have been ordered to turn it over is vastly different that if you modified it before.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Angry Fork said:
I'd honestly like to know why people have so much hate for this guy?

The only concern is that parts of what he did allowed hackers to get into multiplayer games and therefore cheat and so on, but this has already been resolved via patches for various games and firmware patches as well, so why do people have so much animosity towards him still?
I don't hate him and have no real investment in this as I don't own a PS3 or in fact any sony devices that I can think of.
I have said in another thread, the PS3 was the first real 'unhackable' console and it held out the promise of a completely closed system. Not only that, but Sony did a lot of the right things like including linux and not region locking games. For some, myself included, the idea of a truly closed system is actually something worthwhile - it provides the stable platform that consoles are meant to be - the hardware is provided at a deep discount precisely because of the closed nature.
The grey area comes in when they removed otheros from the slims and then retroactively removed it from old PS3's. The timeline and reasons for doing this, relative to the hacking attempts and methods are a little unclear as to which drove which.

Nairume

Banned
Chacranajxy said:
You've proven time and again in this thread and prior ones that you are unwilling to listen or even consider other people's positions. I see no point in this.
Considering at least half of the posts in this thread have been openly mocking the people who donated to geohot, I really can't blame MR for coming to ignore the vast majority of this thread.

ape2man said:
This is amazing. by pressing ok on your ps3 for psn you agree to a legal binding contract.

Amazing, normally you need a signature and a 3rd party as a witness. Here in holland these things are not legally binding because of that.
Welcome to software licensing agreements?

Danny Dudekisser

Mama Robotnik said:
So you tell me I need to consider deductive reasoning.

I ask you to show the deductive reasoning because I want to consider it.

You say no, because I won't consider deductive reasoning.

You are an amazing poster, Chacranajxy, one in a million.

Many people have deduced that he probably used the money donated for his legal fees to pay for at least part of his vacation. That's not an unreasonable conclusion given the evidence. What you refuse to do is to do anything other than spout again and again that you can't conclude anything, because nothing has objectively, 100% proven that he has spent the money that way. You're acting as though reaching any sort of conclusion based on reasoning is impossible. And that's the problem.

Angry Fork

phosphor112 said:
As someone going into Media Arts and Sciences, I only think things will get harder for consumers. Not necessarily taking away their rights, but as I've mentioned before, convergence of all media forms onto devices put companies and people at risk when security is breached. Hell, the government is already wanting to switch to rfid's on our ID cards... security is only going to be more and more relevant to our lives.
Yea I do see your point. The amount of potential in future devices will make hackers want to hack it, but at the same time will make companies work harder to enforce strict laws so they can protect their investment and so on.

I guess it just comes down to how much time/money these companies are willing to put up with in order to stop this kinda stuff. It's definitely troubling though. I don't necessarily care too much about jailbreaking as long as the devices have what I need BUT I do support it because I believe people should be able to do what they want with their system. Cheating online should be managed by the company who made the game or they should have some kind of mandatory punkbuster-like program in future consoles.

I really think Sony (and other console makers in general) need to consider a system like Steam. Give deals to people while keeping the console open source. You can let people do what they want but the majority of people will also buy their games because Steam is convenient and highly user friendly. These corporations are going to have to give up some control eventually or the nazi tactics will just get worse I suppose.

truthtruth.jpg

Top Bottom