• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I do remember right afterwards quite a few people being pissed at JT, feeling like he tried to pin it all on her and make her look bad. Now it might be true, maybe he thought she'd have something on underneath and was completely surprised, and regardless, the majority of the blame is on Janet, she knew exactly what she was doing. But yeah, like I said, I remember some people being really pissed at JT for what they saw as throwing Janet under the bus when he tried to get the attention off himself by pointing the finger entirely at her.

bakeray

bleh, can we please quit talking about how uptight old white people are? Honestly, we can show people being raped and killed on SVU/CSI/every terrible crime drama on TV, show actual war footage on news channels, or advertise alcohol/liquor by using marketing strategies that make kids think it's cool and awesome to do DURING THE GAME but we can't see a part of the body that EVERYONE HAS that was mostly obfuscated anyway with a terrible nip-piercing?

I'm more offended by LaToya Jackson being on the Apprentice currently than I was by Janet's nip exposé, talk about terrible.

CRS

overcast said:
I didn't know binary star even performed together anymore. How were they?
They were dope. One of my highlights of the day. Full of energy and crowd was hyped up and everything.
Tkawsome said:
I was there too and it was one hell of a day. I've never really been to a big concert before and had no idea what to expect from a music festival. I ended up jumping between most of the groups throughout the day and had a blast.

Some highlights were:

Fashawn: Great set with a lot of guest stars. Exile was on fire and even with the speakers were acting a little screwy, he still sounded amazing. As far as I could tell Blu was only on one song, even the guest stars seemed to do more then he did. I could be wrong on that though, it's hard to tell what was going on in that room sometimes.
He played at least a few songs. I know he played My World Is..., So(ul) Amazin', and Dancing in the Rain.

Gamer98

Banned
bakeray said:
bleh, can we please quit talking about how uptight old white people are? Honestly, we can show people being raped and killed on SVU/CSI/every terrible crime drama on TV, show actual war footage on news channels, or advertise alcohol/liquor by using marketing strategies that make kids think it's cool and awesome to do DURING THE GAME but we can't see a part of the body that EVERYONE HAS that was mostly obfuscated anyway with a terrible nip-piercing?

I'm more offended by LaToya Jackson being on the Apprentice currently than I was by Janet's nip exposé, talk about terrible.

That's funny that you said that I just got done watching the Apprentice commercial. So sad how far the Jackson family has fallen since MJ's death.

Tokubetsu

How about you not be lazy and give us some links or some shit HiResDes? How much shit gets posted in this thread and you want dudes to just go look it up on our own based solely on cover art? I'm gonna throw you off the building too.

HiResDes

(2)Deep: Buckwild – 12.12.1992 Mixtape

IMG_0795.jpg

SIDE A

SIDE B

htgc_cover_nets.jpg

Sean Price - How the Gods Chill (Remix) Ft. Roc Marciano & Mayhem Lauren

Edit: @Toku - Yeah word, can't hate on that at all, I'd choose the new SAS if up left up to one as well...

enzo_gt said:
What was the consensus on the Doggumentary?

Tremendous effort to find new ground that ultimately fails...Complex production is not always better

Swag

Has anyone listened to TSOL by Shad? I wanna pick it up but I'm just a little wary because I've never listened to him before.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Sebulon3k said:
Has anyone listened to TSOL by Shad? I wanna pick it up but I'm just a little wary because I've never listened to him before.
The majority of GAF-Hop can vouch for it, its amazing. Threi actually makes love to the album every night before he goes to sleep.

I guess I'll skip the Doggumentary if I'm not missing anything. HRD, you gonna do a March Mixtape round up soon?

HiResDes

enzo_gt said:
The majority of GAF-Hop can vouch for it, its amazing. Threi actually makes love to the album every night before he goes to sleep.

I guess I'll skip the Doggumentary if I'm not missing anything. HRD, you gonna do a March Mixtape round up soon?
Tonight! Re-listening to mass shit now!

PBY

Banned
enzo_gt said:

the Doggumentary is pretty average, just get individual tracks: Eyez Closed (Awesome track, as a Kanye fan you need this), I don't Need No Bitch, and Sumthing Like this Night

IrishNinja

kamspy said:
We've bagged on Slaughterhouse for pages. Stick around. Our dis cycle works like clockwork. Jay Z vs Nas -> Wu Members -> Slaughtahouse sucks and is mad -> Wiz Charmania -> Jay Z vs Nas -> infinity

Net_Wrecker said:
Don't forget about the aforementioned West Coast break, and Gucci vs. Lupe for 2 pages.

I think the cycle resets every time HiResDes drops some new mixtape on everyone.

damn, it's like the da vinci code of this thread.

siddx said:
Timbaland's problem is that when he raps/sings on his songs, he completely ruins them. He is such a godawful rapper/singer. Still better than fake Q-tip aka Magoo though.

aahahaha, ice cold. i remember a buddy telling me maganoo was the hottest MC out at the time, around the time i quit hip-hop for a bit.

kamspy said:
Anyone play those Funkmaster Flex beat making games on PSX and PS2? Me and my boys were super producers on those things.

Anyway, GamersGate is having a sale and they have one that looks similar.

http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-HIPHOP5/ejay-hip-hop-5-bundle

$3.75

I bought it.

hey, good looks - im gonna go check this out. im one of the few hip hop fans these days that doesnt picture themselves on stage or making beats, but i can still fuck with stuff like this.
related: damn, since Gamestop is having this crazy sale, i decided to check amazon, right? i got credit left over there from some trades, and i got DJ Hero 2 (with turntable) and Def Jam Rapstar (with mic - both ps3) for like $17/each. grabbed Earth Defense Force 2017 and called it a day.

HiResDes

(CLICK ARTWORK FOR DOWNLOAD LINKS)

*(From Left To Right)*

1. Rittz White Jesus- Incredibly hyped yet somehow surprisingly clever southern rap music with an un-adulterated spitta that sounds like a deeper voiced Yelawolf. This album/mixtape rivals any released this year in my opinion and might be the best sounding album for a souped up car stereo released since Yelawolf's Trunk Muzik 0-60 (although the Stalley album comes close).
2. Pac Div Mania! - Shameless senseless party tracks with a great mix of up-tempo party anthems, great spitters, and smoked out haze.
3. Big K.R.I.T - Return of 4eva - While the straightforward bangers are fewer are far in between on this album, KRIT's down to earth less convoluted tracks are the ones that steal the show this time. Unlike Wuz Here, which relied on KRIT riding the bass in a menacing manner this mixtape/album shows a much more stripped down sound at times with KRIT sounding a bit more convincing in his introspection.
4. Sir Michael Rocks - The Rocks Report - Very much in the same vein as the Pac Div tape, but maybe even more streamlined and focused on a very particular style of party bangers, yet it's pretty much masterfully done. If you liked Chip's last mixtape this is a must.
5. Ice Warriors- Ice Warriors - If you like Kool Keith, MF Doom, or MF Grimm and their style of music and you haven't downloaded this free album yet go fuck yourself!

6. Mean Doe Green- Black Suits & Shovels - Mean Doe Green kills it, the guest features are all amazing, this is of that aggressive NYC boom bap shit variety. Definitely check it out, I just wish it was longer. I would have gladly copped it for ten for a couple bonus tracks.
7. The Illz - :03 From Gold - If you're familiar with The Illz this is more of a return to the blatant moodiness of The Pursuit rather than the subtlety of The In Between Video Series. Pretty much the pinnacle of moody rap, too brilliant to really be considered emo. Features tracks that are pretty much better than those on any other tape posted here, but the only problem is that there are only four of them.
8. Dom Kennedy - The Original Dom Kennedy - A perfect hybrid of the lazy, weed rap style Dom perfected on From The Westside, With Love and the deeper, more socially aware FutureStreet/Drug Sounds. However, you can smoke to pretty much any Dom track, given that he only raps over smooth ass crunchy beats.
9. Blood Type - 2 Week Notice - When Blood Type are at their very best they sound like doppelgangers of K.R.I.T. and XV, just a great southern duo with an incredible potential rapping over fantastic beats by XV. K.R.I.T. and XV even jump on two or three tracks. The only problem I had with this is that there are a couple of songs that just came off kinda cheesy. Blood Type could benefit from a greater sense of humor.
10. Camp Lo - 80 Blocks From Tiffany's - Features some fantastic remixes of old tracks and verses, yet I tend to favor new or somewhat original music more than remakes within this series and therefore I felt I should show a little consistency in this situation as well. The mixing is flawless, which is great if it can resuscitate these old gems a bit.

PBY

Banned
Love the mixtape roundups you do... Chevy Wood's Red Cup Music was also a pretty good release this month, great bullshit party raps

kamspy

enzo_gt said:
What was the consensus on the Doggumentary?

Meh. If you like his experimental funky side, you might dig it. If you like his Vato stuff, look elsewhere.

It's nowhere near Blue Carpet.

No Mac Miller round up?

Recon

Banned
Doesn't look like there was anything that would interest me from march besides illz and kritt, which I have. Good looking on the list though.

I don't know if this was posted yet, but this is dropping in a few hours:
d3oBa.jpg

I am glad that Prodigy and Nas finally decided to put their nonsense beef away.

JEKKI

HiResDes said:
10. Camp Lo - 80 Blocks From Tiffany's - Features some fantastic remixes of old tracks and verses, yet I tend to favor new or somewhat original music more than remakes within this series and therefore I felt I should show a little consistency in this situation as well. The mixing is flawless, which is great if it can resuscitate these old gems a bit.
Camp Lo-ah~!! thanks for this!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPvNI5JWKro

Gamer98

Banned
enzo_gt said:

I like Doggumentary alot I think Its a fine album for snoop. This weed iz mine & Eyez closed are both classic tracks.

Jay Sosa

thanks hires, maybe now people will realize the greatness that is Dom Kennedy, didn't even know the PAC Div is new that one is pretty good as well.

Goddamnit new Illz as well, so much good shit to listen to..

It's brilliant, the Old Prince ise even better..if you're not sure why don't you just listen to some tracks on youtube?

Jay Sosa

btw hires, wouldn't it be better if you make a seperate thread for your recommendations? Kinda like the monthly what are you reading thread..

overcast

I know Hires has it high on the list. But I thought I should still recommend it. Check out that Pac Div tape. I thought it was pretty damn dope. I hadn't heard them until I heard that.

Tokubetsu

First impressions of Dog Shit? Prodigy killed it. Beat is fire, I wonder how much of it was ALC and how much was Havoc. Sample sounds like something ALC woulda pulled and the synth too but the drums aside from the roll sounds like the havoc we all love. Either way it's good and if they make an entire album that sounds this gloomy and dark? It will be great. Nas needs to be on more beats like this and not do Untitled again or...worse.

m3k

yeah he did... its ok, good for getting some attention for mobb deep... dont really like the beat though its just ok

they still g unit? lol does g unit even exist now with fiddy paying out yayo and banks on that song that came out the other day

DaMan121

DominoKid said:
apparently shitty solos. its like he just gave up on all the complicated rhythms he was known for.

Agreed, but he is still one of my fav producers, even now. Liked his stuff on BP3, and would love to hear the alternate BP3. who knows whether we will ever hear it though :/

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Another good monthly mixtape wrap up hires! Thanks for all the hard work!
Some of my own impressions in case anybody is still on the fence about dling one of the mixtape.

1. Rittz White Jesus- Production is the highlight. He sounds very similar to Yelawolf although I don't think he is as interesting. Hi Five, No Friends, and Dixxie Cup are stand outs to me. Definitely riding around music.

2. Pac Div Mania! - A fun album with a few duds but mostly entertaining. A few of the songs sound too much alike but when it's good, it's really good.

3. Big K.R.I.T - Return of 4eva - I'm not as hyped on KRIT as the rest of hhgaf but this is still a must have. Good old southern shit that we don't hear nearly as much as we should these days. I have said this before but I really appreciate that KRIT "sounds" like a southern rapper. Way too much southern shit just sounds like imitation lil waynes or some middle school dropout grunting over club beats.

4. Sir Michael Rocks - The Rocks Report - This one surprised me. I loved The Bake Sale EP, but everything since then has disappointed me, lacking the sparse but clever production I found on that EP. I thought Tacklebox in particular was just fucking awful. This though, is right back to the style that made me like Cool Kids in the first place. Production is smart and unlike tacklebox, rarely lazy. No more instrumentals consisting of nothing but a drum loop made in 10 seconds. I don't personally think this is a party album, but more of a chill album that is just upbeat enough to be playable in your car as well. Way too many songs though.

6. Mean Doe Green- Black Suits & Shovels - Do you like rap to punch you in the face and not make any attempt to be smooth or pleasant to the ears? This is the album for you. Not my style really, but for anyone who just likes this kind of hip hop, you will love this album.

7. The Illz - :03 From Gold - The Pursuit is one of my favorite releases in years. In between series got much less play from me, lacking the phenomenal production of pursuit imo. :03 is a revisit to what made me such a fan of Illz but it's just a small taste and I hope is a indication of what his full length will be like. November Sky is so damn good.

8. Dom Kennedy - The Original Dom Kennedy - I prefer my westcoast hip hop a little harder but there is some good production to be found here anyways. Dom Kennedy however is wildly inconsistent, ripping up one track and then sounding lazy and amatuerish on the next. I wouldn't complain if you skipped this, however I would recommend at least giving it a listen.

And a few of my own.

Mike Schpitz - The Prize Package vol. 1
front.jpg

Dont sleep on this. Mike is dope, but the production is even better. Seriously fantastic beats. The album could have benefited from being trimmed a bit, but the so so tracks are few and far between and are overwhelmed by the great ones.

Wax - Scrublife Mixtape
front.jpg

Reminds me a lot of asher roth with a stronger voice. Similar flow, similar subject matter, and similar production. A really fun album that is just enjoyable as hell to sit back and listen to, gives me a nice 90's vibe. From sampling the price is right fail noise, weaving a story about going to a medical marijuana dispensary, or just celebrating being lazy. The album doesn't take itself seriously at all, and it's best you don't either. The track by Dale Firebird is fucking hilarious.

Nice wrap up, HiRes. Props for giving thanks to White Jesus indeed. Lol.

And Dog Shit dropped? (See what I did there?) I'll be in class for a good part of the day; I'll try and download it through the school's WiFi on my phone later.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Here is some video from the Big K.R.I.T. show in Houston over the weekend. Crowd was hyped.

Moon and Stars with Killa Kyleon. If Killa got some consistent production he could blow up himself.

Here is Bun B talking about how he is passing the torch down to K.R.I.T now.

It is good to see Krit get a nice crowd there, people actually knowing every word to his sogns, etc. I am hoping he can blow up because labels will be ready to put money behind a rapper not talking about shooting up a state and supplying drugs to an entire county without being as over the top as Kanye to make up for it.

Detox

So what are the chances of Mobb Deep and Nas doing official tracks or albums after all aren't Mobb with G-Unit and Nas doesn't see eye to eye with fiddy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom