• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF-HOP: New Official 2010+ Thread of "hiphop ain't dead"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

Em not going so fast and using a lot more complex rhymes is much better than him just shouting as fast as he can with little coherence. I like old Em where he had speed but nowhere near the level he 's doing now.

exarkun

RJT said:
Busta is the best guest ever.

Confession time: I never heard a full Busta album...

Not gonna lie, sometimes it gets hard to go through the whole album (his latest one anyway) when he doesn't change up the flow. His first two are classics and a product of their time cause he goes hard and talks about real ish. Maybe its not the first two, but im pretty sure it is. Or its the 1st and the third. Either way, try them out.

Detox

HHDX delivers another great interview this time with Warren G. They must have a guy on the west coast with connections. I'm loving the stuff they're doing with the interviews although this one could have been a bit longer.

Complex Shadow

Cudi Lame™
Lionheart1337 said:
kamspy said:
Wale >>> j.cole

They both mediocre. End of discussion

Turned off disgusting after a few seconds.
UZbFN.jpg

effzee

Net_Wrecker said:
Meh, Jay isn't Renegade or Moment Of Clarity consistent anymore, it would be one sided as hell. I honestly think of all the people he could collab with, Royce is the only one that could keep up and fit the mood of the track. Almost every one of Em's collabs/guest spots since his return have one completely one sided, or Em raps so aggressively/quick that he doesn't seem to fit the track. Jay/Em at this point would be kinda strange unless Em can tone it down.

I actually wonder why Eminem and Jay Z haven't collaborated since Eminem came back. Eminem has worked with everyone from Wayne, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Slaughterhouse, to TI. So it's not like he is refusing to work with people. On top of that Jay and him are good friends and even did the historic concerts in Detroit and NYC. Maybe its because they are both no where near the level they were are when they made Renegades so any follow up will be seen as a huge letdown.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Nice list Hires, once again thanks for doing it.

A few that didn't make the list that I think are worth grabbing

Orie - Twenty 20
front.jpg

Most of the beats save for two are produced by the emcee himself, and his production skills are just as on point as his lyrical ability. I will definitely be keeping a look out for future work from this guy, he has the total package for me. Production, flow, voice, lyrics.
There are no club bangers, no sweeping epics, just solid, fun, intelligent music that you can throw on from start to finish (silly but slightly amusing intro that goes on too long aside). Possibly my favorite mixtape this month.

Revolution of the Mind - Honor in Sin
front.jpg

Do you like your hip hop to kick you in the teeth? Download this now. Social and political, I get a Dead Prez/East Coast Avengers/Immortal Technique vibe from these guys. Exec Produced by Sabac Red of Non-Phixon fame, it definitely shows. This is the kind of underground hip hop I used to bump back in the late 90's when underground artists were hungry and angry.
I don't have the same love for political rap I used to, otherwise this would definitely be my number 1 for this month, production is ridiculous.

Neako - LOUDpack: Tree

front.jpg

Definitely music to smoke to. Chill as fuck, and Neako, while unremarkable as an emcee, compliments the low key beats perfectly. First 11 tracks are new, the second 11 are remixes of older songs. If you like to put on an album, sit back and chill, regardless if it's to get high or just have a drink or just chill out, this album will get some play from you.
My only knock is the overall sound quality seems a little low, in that I have to up the volume a little bit after listening to something else. Not significantly but a little bit. However that could also be due to how chilled out the beats are, few big drums, no aggressive bass.

illadelph

holy FUCK at that Worldwide Choppers track......even the foreign dudes killed it. I don't even know where to start with Busta Rhymes, he fucking massacred that shit

TheOddOne

Elzhi's The Preface was such amazing album. Too bad after that no real magic or evolution came from that.

Edit: I'm listening to The Preface again, its 2008 all over again. Aaaaah yeaaaaah.

Recon

Banned
Goblin is good, from my initial listen, but it doesnt crack my top 5 from 2011. But neither does Lasers and im a huge Lupe fan, 2011 has been awesome so far.

Favorite albums from 2011:

1.Zero Heroes-XV
2.The Family Sign-Atmosphere
3. Oneirology-Cunninlynguists
4. Shaolin vs. Wu-tang-Raekwon
5.House of Balloons-The Weeknd
6.Returnof4eva-Big Kritt
7.Lasers-Lupe Fiasco
8.Goblin-Tyler,the Creator

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
illadelph said:
holy FUCK at that Worldwide Choppers track......even the foreign dudes killed it. I don't even know where to start with Busta Rhymes, he fucking massacred that shit
Yeah holy shit.

But I don't 'get' Tech N9ne though. Can someone explain him to me?

Recon

Banned
enzo_gt said:
Yeah holy shit.

But I don't 'get' Tech N9ne though. Can someone explain him to me?

He reminds me of a precursor to Tyler,the Creator with a much better flow and lyrics. He used to be really into the the Horror-core type raps, but he kinda mellowed out on that for the last few albums. But he really, just listen to some of the tracks we linked to on the other page. If you just want names of tracks, youtube these : One Good Time, Midwest Choppas, Psycho Bitch 1/2. The Rain, Caribou Lou, Welcome to the Midwest.

Also this track explains a lot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JpcJ7187x0&feature=related

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So who's actually going to buy Goblin?
siddx said:
Atmosphere has varied enough content that they can appeal to a slightly broader audience. But somewhat yes.
OF is somewhat limited to the "we are crazy and will murder and rape your dead body" gimmick that got them the attention in the first place.
I'm convinced you've never listened to any OF, outside of a few Tyler tracks.

Hodgy Beats doesn't even make that kind of music, and he has more tracks out there than Tyler and Earl combined.

siddx

kamspy said:
Canibus of speed rap. Talent for days, just doesn't have the intangible song making quality.

Pretty much dead on.

Worldwide Choppers is fucking nuts though. I figured it would just be another posse cut with 80 rappers going over a boring beat but holy fuck everyone just unloads and the beat is ridiculous.

Not feeling Goblin at all. Production is awful on a lot of songs. There are a few good tracks but overall it was really underwhelming, but maybe it will grow on me.

kamspy

HiResDes said:
So how long do I have again to withhold from succumbing to leaks.

I'm not (wasn't?) really big on Tyler, but now..... sheeeeet. This shit is gonna blow up. My nephews are talking about it on my damn Facebook page and I didn't even know they listened to rap like that. Eminem 2.0 Shit's gonna take over high schools.

DominoKid

I crown Tyler the king of rappers for today. Well, next Tuesday since thats when it comes out.

Goblin is a-fucking-stonishingly amazing.

The lyrics. Goddamn!
The production. GODDAMN!

cacophony

After one listen of Goblin I'm kind of disappointed. Most of the songs aren't memorable to me, they feel fair weather & lack an energy like Yonkers had. Maybe it'll grow on me. It's also WAY too long.

Favorite songs: Yonkers, Golden, Tron Cat, Goblin

Detox

I swear I don't know if kampsy is being a grumpy old troll or if he actually likes the album. Still siddx's impression isn't good. I'll wait until someone uploads to youtube just to hear what it sounds like.

Siddx thanks for that Revolution Of The Mind recommendation, just the kind of music I needed.

HiResDes

I need this Orie tape in a higher bitrate, some of these tracks are catchy as fuck.

BTW, was relistening to this and can't believe how much I still feel it after not liking Ab-Soul one bit before:

Longterm-Mentality-Cover-500x500.jpg
LongTerm-Mentality-Back-Cover-500x500.jpg

Sample: Going Insane (Video)...My second favorite track

Longterm Mentality would probably be in my top five favorite albums released this year!

siddx

Second listen through on Goblin, this time with headphones. Somewhat more enjoyable through a good pair of headphones. Production isn't as bad as I thought at first, although some of the tracks are still really really bad (Radicals, Bitch Suck Dick, Window)
But Goblin, Transylvania, Nightmare, Analog, Fish, and Golden are much better than I thought at first. They will get added to the playlist.

First listen I would have given it a 2/10, this time I'd give it a 6/10

kamspy

no I really like it, and really want to go drink 40s and break windows right now. I even tweeted him and thanked him for the great feeling.

WOLF FUCKING GANG (senior citizen division)

Recon

Banned
HiResDes said:
Hold on Recon has Lasers over Goblin...It can't be that bad

Adjust for my undying love(Bias) for Lupe Fiasco. I know objectively its probably better, but i cant be that objective on my favorite rapper. It still doesnt crack my top5 either way.

HiResDes

You do know I was trolling you right,

Anyway as much as I love OF, I think Black Hippie might actually be the new group to emerge in hip-hop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom