• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Would you be happy if "Next-Gen" games looked like this ?

'i've seen much more impressive things than that Zelda demo, but i can still tell that it's beyond what the PS3 and 360 can do'.

In that case I can categorically say that Uncharted 2/3, Gow 3, Killzone 3, GoW 3 etc all look much better than that Wii U demo. It's not even close.

mclem

Would you be happy if "Next-Gen" games looked like this ? In Real time ? As in, these FMV scenes would be in-game actually happening as you play graphics.

I would. Square Enix makes beautiful FMV's and I would absolutely be pumped if next-gen games were rendered in real time this beautifully.

Wait. Let's just make this clear:

You're asking if we'd be happy if next-gen looked like something *far in advance* of what is even *remotely* realistic?

Why, gosh, I would! I'd also be happy if my next television was holographic, my next meal was an 18-course banquet and my next car a Veyron.

(This is of course avoiding the fact that that sort of graphics would price the vast majority of smaller companies completely out of the market, but no-one ever really seems to give a shit about that side of things)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I'm surprised we're seeing more Zelda shots that legitimate shots of great looking games we have right now on PC. It's only going to get better too. I suspect that having a 7970 equivalent card will run most next gen games at least at 30fps. Unless Sony throws a wrench in and has an amazing ARM based GPU.

I'm OK with with Uncharted 3 running at 1080p/60fps. Seriously. Not asking for much here.

Give it about 4xSSAA and then we're talking. I see no reason why that can't happen if it has a great modern GPU. By modern, I mean a 6970 or better GPU. If the Vita is any indicator, we may be seeing some great HW but not at a great cost.

zoukka

I'm OK with with Uncharted 3 running at 1080p/60fps. Seriously. Not asking for much here.

Actually the leap in hardware doesn't suddenly mean, other devs can create assets as good as ND, so Uncharted 3 in 1080p/60fps will probably demolish 99% of next gen games :b

FFXIV_FMV_04.jpg

final-fantasy-13-2-1.jpg

XIII-2_lightning_fmv.jpg

Would you be happy if "Next-Gen" games looked like this ? In Real time ? As in, these FMV scenes would be in-game actually happening as you play graphics.

I would. Square Enix makes beautiful FMV's and I would absolutely be pumped if next-gen games were rendered in real time this beautifully.

It wont with that 6600 in the Xbox 720. lol

dr_rus

Mostly playing on PC so I don't really care what next gen graphics level will be, just want to get it faster because current gen games are starting to look like crap on PC even with AA, AF and in 1600p.

Uncharted Trilogy HD. I'd buy that for $20.

rvy

Banned
Actually the leap in hardware doesn't suddenly mean, other devs can create assets as good as ND, so Uncharted 3 in 1080p/60fps will probably demolish 99% of next gen games :b

Just wishful thinking on my part.

Give it about 4xSSAA and then we're talking. I see no reason why that can't happen if it has a great modern GPU. By modern, I mean a 6970 or better GPU. If the Vita is any indicator, we may be seeing some great HW but not at a great cost.
That too.

Loofy

I just want games to be heavily animated, like that Zelda WiiU demo.

Is it too much to ask for swaying leaves and branches, individual blades of grass moving with the wind, pebbles and sand moving under weight, physics based damage models?

hayguyz

Banned
Dev costs would be too high. Everyone would spend too much trying to much a AAAA game but it ends of being lackluster and more studios will close.

goodfella

I'd love to know where this came from.

Well, I thought that the demos where target renders or something that were overselling the capabilities of the system. (ala Kilzone 2, Motorstorm etc.)

Then they showed all of the ps3/360 games that were being ported over, and I assumed that this would be what to expect.

As a side note, it was in 1080p as well!?!

More like that, and I'll be happy at the next 10 year outlook.

I doubt we will get IQ or art direction that looks anywhere near as good, but hopefully the lighting will approach that level of quality.

Derrick01

Banned
You people need to get off the 60 fps/1080p train. It won't happen. 1080p has a shot for some games but 60 fps is just not happening, give it up now. It's an unrealistic expectation.

I'm hoping we get BF3 PC level graphics next gen, but really I'm hoping for a mass breakthrough on animation and facial animation. It's tough going from something like LA Noire or even Uncharted 3 on a lesser scale to pretty much any other game, it's a big step down in graphics, facial and normal animation. While I'm not sure how much higher we can go in graphics, there's plenty of room in other forms of realism like animation and AI.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
I keep seeing the Zelda thing getting posted ... erm....

other than the canned animation (which you are going to struggle to insert into a game) what EXACTLY are people seeing here that isn't happening this gen?!?

What part of "is easily pleased" didn't you understand? :p

Besides that the lighting is really nice.

.GqueB.

Banned
Im happy with how they look now, I just want them to PLAY better. Gears looks so amazing yet when monsters die they suddenly weigh 2 pounds and get tangled in my feet like spaghetti. Same in Dark Souls. Im tired of watching faces load in cut scenes. Get that shit right before you move forward gaming industry.

GAMING industry. They focus on the wrong shit sometimes.

And gamers stop asking for bullshit. I remember there was a thread like this before and people kept asking that EVERY building be fully fleshed out and explorable in open world games. What the fuck for? And stop bitching when blades of grass arent perfect. Such a waste of time and resources.

xHAASx

Banned
Im happy with how they look now, I just want them to PLAY better. Gears looks so amazing yet when monsters die they suddenly weight 2 pounds and get tangled in my feet like spaghetti. Same in Dark Souls. Im tired of watching faces load in cut scenes. Get that shit right before you move forward gaming industry.

Haha, yeah, that is peculiar.

ArjanN

Haha, yeah, that is peculiar.

It's kind of a tricky problem. if you give them too much weight you'd keep getting caught up on all the corpses on the ground.

Current gen like graphics with better resolution and AA would be fine. I'd prefer if they used any extra power for animations, interactivity of the world, AI, etc.

Im happy with how they look now, I just want them to PLAY better. Gears looks so amazing yet when monsters die they suddenly weigh 2 pounds and get tangled in my feet like spaghetti. Same in Dark Souls. Im tired of watching faces load in cut scenes. Get that shit right before you move forward gaming industry.

I don't really mind it in Gears 3 since that's already an over-the-top action game anyway. In Dark Souls it can be distracting and annoying though.

The biggest offenders are Dead Space 1 and 2. Not only are the dead bodies shitty ragdolls, they also make a lot of noise when you walk over them. It's extremely distracting and it really kills the mood.

My brain is poisoned. I can't help looking at screens anymore and being like, "oh, those are CG cut scenes..." and not think of it as actual gameplay.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I'd be happy if this generation lasted another 5 years. Developers need to drop the graphics mantra and focus on more important game elements. XBLA and PSN are havens for amazing looking games that prove we don't actually need a new generation for some time, just better artists.

Better hardware is used for a lot more than just better graphics.

.GqueB.

Banned
I don't really mind it in Gears 3 since that's already an over-the-top action game anyway. In Dark Souls it can be distracting and annoying though.

The biggest offenders are Dead Space 1 and 2. Not only are the dead bodies shitty ragdolls, they also make a lot of noise when you walk over them. It's extremely distracting and it really kills the mood.

I had that issue in Bioshock as well. Not sure if you remember but simply brushing pass an object would cause it to launch across the room sometimes. Not only was it annoying, but it also scared the living shit out of me sometimes because it made me think someone else was in the room.

Man.....some of you guys must be blind and/or crazy. Calling those CG shots underwhelming and expecting BETTER than that next gen, saying the PS360 could put out that Wii-U Zelda tech demo......People should stop drinking before they post.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
IQ is weird. What gets people (or me) most, I feel, is density and complexity of objects on screen. As in, huge scale, draw distances, and a whole lot of shit going on and it all looking good.

When you start cutting stuff out of the image for a closer, personal shot, a lot of impact in graphical leaps is lost. Take those FF XIII CGI clips. I know they're technically superior, and I can see they're technically superior, but my jaw does not drop at a close-up of Lightning, because a similar level of IQ on a screen can and has been achieved on modern games.

Honestly, there's some stuff in The Witcher 2 that envokes similar feelings to that Triace demo. Objects aren't as smooth, the lighting and shadows are rougher, and textures aren't quite as detailed, but we're getting there. We're not comparing a N64 game anymore. We can achieve incredible graphical fidelity that, in my opinion, borderlines on high end CG, all when the cards are played right (mostly the art, hardware and angle of the shot).

Pull the camera back for those wide views and then we start seeing the big weaknesses of all graphical processors, and the huge difference between a high end technically impressive modern game and pre-render CG. Same goes with density of intricate details, like shots of forests. Anything scene with a lot of flora is a good benchmark for how powerful hardware can be, and how realistic we can make our images.

Then there's animation, but that's a bit of a grey area, because though it significantly improves the presentation of a game, you cant really brute force it like post processing or graphical effects. Animators must meticulously animate everything themselves, and that comes down to time, money, and skill. Unless we dig into procedural, physics based animation, but that only covers a small portion of what games require.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Considering that I'm perfectly fine with the graphics in Xenoblade Chronicles... Yes I'd be fine with that.

Aesthetics > Graphics

bigfurb

saying the PS360 could put out that Wii-U Zelda tech demo

Consider me a crazy blind man then because i'm not seeing what's so special about that Zelda tech demo. I mean it's definitely a huge leap if you were only doing your gaming on a Wii this generation, but it's not blowing away any of the top PS360 games

Frostburn

I would be happy with games that looked like those FMV scenes keeping the following in mind:

• Textures that are the correct resolution at all times (You don't see a super low res texture change to a high res one right in front of your eyes IE: Pop-in) If they have a system to load them in make it invisible to the naked eye.
  • Good hair, still many game engines struggle with this.
  • Correct lip syncing
  • No jarring jagged edges *The stair-step affect on edges* (Correct AA implementation)
  • No SCREEN TEARING (Looks like SHIT and totally takes away from the experience)
  • Realistic modeling and animations (This makes a huge difference when done right and it is VERY apparent when done wrong)
  • Minimum of 30FPS (The game does not dip lower than that) with 60 FPS for shooters and action games, I don't care what anyone else says there is a noticeable difference.

If this means fewer games I could care less. The industry is already a HUGE monster with too much crap being put out. Quality over Quantity!

There will always be exceptions to the above, smaller teams cannot produce games of that quality but they need to create a game with that in mind. Plenty of Indy and smaller companies create AMAZING games that look retro or 2D or some other theme that allows them to make compelling gameplay without AAA visuals and that is GREAT!

Consider me a crazy blind man then because i'm not seeing what's so special about that Zelda tech demo. I mean it's definitely a huge leap if you were only doing your gaming on a Wii this generation, but it's not blowing away any of the top PS360 games

You're not crazy, people saying the WiiU Zelda demo is more impressive than either Uncharted 3 or GoW3 are the crazy ones.

StuBurns

Banned
The Zelda demo might not show an improvement over PS360, but it's a demo made 18 months before the system shipped. Comparing it to something like GoW3 is not really fair. Although I'm not sure what would be a fair comparison because part of the improvement of this gen has been how the studios handled the tools, and all that stuff is already in place now, but still.

Also, it's all off screen shit, crazy small.

ibaVomPUSsxse0.gif

Even that looks PS360 quality off screen.

We really need to just wait and see.

Loofy

You're not crazy, people saying the WiiU Zelda demo is more impressive than either Uncharted 3 or GoW3 are the crazy ones.
And thats why no one is stepping up with equally impressive UC3 and GoW3 gifs.

EDIT: ok nm.
But notice how he chose a gif with barely any animation.

And thats why no one is stepping up with equally impressive UC3 and GoW3 gifs.

EDIT: ok nm.
But notice how he chose a gif with barely any animation.

Have you played either of those games?

Edit - What Stu posted was from the PS Vita, not PS3 btw.

And gamers stop asking for bullshit. I remember there was a thread like this before and people kept asking that EVERY building be fully fleshed out and explorable in open world games. What the fuck for? And stop bitching when blades of grass arent perfect. Such a waste of time and resources.

In a game like uncharted or in FPS's that would be unnecessary, however in RPG or 3rd person sandbox games a fully realized city/world would add quite a lot in terms of immersion, exploration as well as mission options for both the gamer and developer, ie: scout a location and place addition companions in differing locals to snipe X person, etc etc.

I can't speak for others, but for me the want to have every house/apt/room open to explore is just "the fuck cause"; it's having every house/apt/room to have purpose, opening additional game play & design options. I long deeply to experience a living, breathing game world and not just a city filled with empty shells.

I will agree with you on the blades of grass side of things. I just don't see the point.

Loofy

Have you played either of those games?
Own them yes.

Just to be clear Im just referring to the image quality and animation in the Zelda clip, in those regards its FMV quality.
ibxaAGy5TuM0Ly.gif

Just look at the bats in this image. Now compare that to any of the bat enemies we've seen in games this gen.

The lighting and shadows in the Zelda demo look smoother than what I've seen out of the graphical heavy hitters this generation, the nighttime version in particular. But since gameplay shots are the real way to compare, I'm saying that the real time Zelda demo, which is representative of what Nintendo is looking to do, or surpass, IN GAMEPLAY, looks more impressive than Uncharted 3 or God of War 3 IN GAMEPLAY.

I once ran like several hundred feet in DS with an enemy impaled and dangling from my torso, shit was hilarious.

And totally agreed. I'd rather see games with compelling artstyle and gameplay than repackaging the same experiences over and over with new coat of paint.

StuBurns

Banned
Own them yes.

Just to be clear Im just referring to the image quality and animation in the Zelda clip, in those regards its FMV quality.
http://i.minus.com/ibxaAGy5TuM0Ly.gif[img]
Just look at the bats in this image. Now compare that to any of the bat enemies we've seen in games this gen.[/QUOTE]

IQ was 720 no AA according to people at the event.

true story, when they ragdolled in the long lift section and spazzed out and bounced all around the inside of the lift... that was one of the scariest sections of Dead Space 2. it was so fucking surreal having all these weird deformed corpses flying around while things tried to actually kill me.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
In that case I can categorically say that Uncharted 2/3, Gow 3, Killzone 3, GoW 3 etc all look much better than that Wii U demo. It's not even close.

The GIFs don't look that great. The actual footage when you see it in the videos on youtube look a funk ton better, and no none of those games approach the lighting in that Zelda tech demo that's old a fuck.

The lighting in the Zelda Wii U tech demo is clearly above anything that has been done on consoles before. And like I said earlier, don't judge it by looking at the shitty gifs. At least look at the off-screen videos that has been posted. Even if it's off-screen, you can clearly tell that the lighting is great.

I expect much improved lighting to be the big thing during the next gen. Proper global illumination with full dynamic lighting will add a lot to the overall graphics.

Nizz

It's kind of a tricky problem. if you give them too much weight you'd keep getting caught up on all the corpses on the ground.

Current gen like graphics with better resolution and AA would be fine. I'd prefer if they used any extra power for animations, interactivity of the world, AI, etc.
Add better framerates and I agree with everything here. A lot of games look fantastic this gen.

I admit I'd be really impressed with this quality graphics at a locked 30fps next gen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s8v6CTIAqY&list=FL9ldEfA0aMSzB_TGkaXpv9A&index=12&feature=plpp_video

Own them yes.

http://i.minus.com/ibxaAGy5TuM0Ly.gif[img]
Just look at the bats in this image. Now compare that to any of the bat enemies we've seen in games this gen.[/QUOTE]

Bats? Seriously?

Look at the whole gameplay section with Poseidon, or with Atlas, overall IQ is much better and the animation is on par at least.

Loads of Uncharted 3 shows animation on par with that tech demo and IQ well beyond it also.

You can't select an individual visual element to compare the IQ of two games.

Top Bottom