• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT3| Two Week Updates, One Box, Zero Subscriptions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
At some point we're going to have to make a video both showing how to set up the controller stuff AND showing us kicking ass with it.

One thing, Hawkian, remember to link to my blog post when you make the post, as linking to specific uploads on Google Drive will mean that link will be outdated (and possibly deleted) when I upload a new version.

I am a controller convert. Controller works so well.

My only issue is, and this keeps me from always using the controller is that fact that the programs that facilitate the controller mess up my mouse for other programs. When I'm done playing, I have to bring up Task Manager and end the programs from there before getting proper mouse support back.

It's annoying, enough to stop me from even using the controller if I'm tired or lazy.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

My only issue is, and this keeps me from always using the controller is that fact that the programs that facilitate the controller mess up my mouse for other programs. When I'm done playing, I have to bring up Task Manager and end the programs from there before getting proper mouse support back.

It's annoying, enough to stop me from even using the controller if I'm tired or lazy.
Would be dead easy to fix IIRC by having logic in the script to tell it to suspend once the GW2 executable stops running.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Er.

Right click on your actual mouse, and everything should be completely back to normal without having to close either Xpadder or the script.

Er.

Right click on your actual mouse, and everything should be completely back to normal without having to close either Xpadder or the script.

This is what I do. I have two monitors and I watch netflix/use the web on the other and I just simply right click the mouse and everything is reset to normal.

Retro

Clarification.

Damn, was hoping we'd have a new area to explore. Oh well, whatever's under the tend in Divinity's Reach should be interesting. And if not, there's only 2 more weeks until the next update... I still have trouble wrapping my head around that sometimes.

The humans are super interesting. They basically come from Space, and are not native to Tyria! I love them more than the other races!

No has ever really said how Humans came into Tyria. The wiki only says the human Gods brought them, though I seem to remember reading somewhere that they came from "Across the sea". But space seems a bit of a stretch; more likely the Mists. They don't have fuckin Chris "Retcon" Metzen writing their story with his giant ham fists, after all.

I was taking mobs all night with the gamepad and it felt really natural. I am in love.

Every time somebody tries GW2 with a gamepad and falls in love, I promise I'll pick up a gamepad or figure out how to get my 360 controllers set up and try it... and then I never do.

I'm glad that Anet is looking to consolidate some things, like with the BL keys being able to buy skins. Anet time gating everything with new currencies would have become fatiguing over time. Hope the dungeon overhaul comes with a change to the token system, too. At the very least a bag or tab to hold all of it.

Yep. I totally believe that a currency tab or wallet, in the bank but preferably a UI element that's account-wide and always with you, would be a great idea. I wonder if they're waiting for the dungeon overhaul before they do it.

Every time somebody tries GW2 with a gamepad and falls in love, I promise I'll pick up a gamepad or figure out how to get my 360 controllers set up and try it... and then I never do.

it was really easy FYI you just run the .bat file and then change like 8 key bindings in GW2.

Lunar15

I'd love to try controller, but a PS3 controller is all I have. I'd prefer to get a 360 controller, but I don't see the use in buying one just for this.

LkPr

I'd love to try controller, but a PS3 controller is all I have. I'd prefer to get a 360 controller, but I don't see the use in buying one just for this.

technically... you can use a ps3 controller

There is a program that will recognize the ps3 controller and then emulate it as an xbox controller so xpadder picks it up. I started out using that but then eventually just went out and bought a madcatz xbox controller for like 20 bucks just to make it easier.

Complistic

Controller > Keyboard turner.

What's a keyboard turner?

Also I've got a somewhat odd control scheme if anyone's looking for something new to try.

Skills 1 - 5 stay where they're at.
heal (6) goes on "Q"
Utilities (7) (8) (9) go on "Z" "X" "C"
elite (0) goes on "V"
E is dodge
f is interact
and i got aoe loot on a mouse button.

Controls super nice. I found the keys higher than 5 I couldn't hit reliably so now everything hovers around wasd.

Lunar15

technically... you can use a ps3 controller

There is a program that will recognize the ps3 controller and then emulate it as an xbox controller so xpadder picks it up. I started out using that but then eventually just went out and bought a madcatz xbox controller for like 20 bucks just to make it easier.

Oh, I have that (motioninjoy), it's just not optimal.

Retro

What's a keyboard turner?

Someone who turns their character using only the keyboard (which is slow), instead of using the mouse to quickly change the direction they're looking. It was a joke, honestly, as it was considered a huge insult in WoW back in the day. Probably still is, when they're not wanking it over gearscore.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
About these Aetherized weapon skins. I know that higher tiers of the trial gives you a better chance of getting one but do you have to score a gold medal in the event as well? I can do tier 3 fairly easy but I've only been able to score a bronze in the event so far, am I wasting my time or can you get a skin from just bronze/silver bags?

Retro

About these Aetherized weapon skins. I know that higher tiers of the trial gives you a better chance of getting one but do you have to score a gold medal in the event as well? I can do tier 3 fairly easy but I've only been able to score a bronze in the event so far, am I wasting my time or can you get a skin from just bronze bags?

The number of bags (and thus, the number of chances for them to drop) seems to be determined by how many enemies you kill. I'm not sure if the event rating makes a difference or not... I guess I'm not really answering your questions, but it might make more sense to go in there with 2 or 3 people so you can kill enemies more effectively.

Not sure what the math is there, but looking at GW2spidy, there's very little supply... there's zero Greatswords, axes, daggers... I'm wondering if they made it too hard to get them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It's time for you to join the legion of Guild Wars 2 gamers playing the superior way.

Download Gamepad Mode now. (Click on the google docs link, the go to File->Download)

There are so many design decisions that make GW2 a joy to play with a controller that it- in all honesty- feels like it was made for it.
If you are at all intrigued by the idea, and especially if you have an X360 pad (though this solution works to varying degrees with any input device), you owe it to yourself to try.

Control Scheme:
ie7RDD6ifK2xE.jpg
If that looks really complex to you, I promise that it's actually simpler in practice that it looks.
If that doesn't look really complex to you, you will be blown away by how absolutely natural GW2 feels playing with a controller.

Key Features:
  • Jump, dodge, target enemies, and access all your skills in one ergonomic configuration, requiring little to no wrist movement compared to a keyboard and mouse
  • Full analog stick camera control (like any third person action game)- in Windowed or Windowed Fullscreen mode, a crosshair can even be turned on from the .ini file to help you learn
  • Fixed-aim cursor position makes aiming AOE skills simple and fast
  • Advanced mappings such as toggling walk, about face (180-degree turn), and taking screenshots
  • Back button serves as a reset (press) or activates mouse control for menus/dialog choices/etc (hold)
  • Simply right-click (on your mouse itself) to resume normal mouse control for Windows.

Known Issues:
  • During cutscenes, zone changes, and other occasions when the player loses camera control, GW2 takes over mouse control and you'll initially be unable to move the camera. This is resolved by simply tapping the Back button once. This will quickly become second-nature (I don't even notice myself doing it anymore).
  • At present, some users running Windows 8 may have issues with the cursor re-positioning feature.

Installation:

Follow INSTRUCTIONS.TXT. It looks like a lot of steps but it is just very broken up to be as simple as possible. The quick-and-dirty version is as follows:

1. Make the following keybinds in-game (you can just add them as alternates, not replace the existing ones. These will not affect your M+K control, and are stored server-side so you can take your gamepad on the go!):
    , (comma) to "Previous Target".
    . (period) to "Swap Weapons".
    Numpad 8 to "Camera" -> "Zoom In".
    Numpad 2 to "Camera" -> "Zoom Out".
    Z to "Stow/Draw Weapons".
    X to "Swim Down". If there ever is a binding for "Crouch", bind it to X as well.
    L to "Toggle Walk / Run".
    U to "About Face".
    F5 to "GUI -> Hide / Show"
    F6 to "Screenshot -> Normal".
2. Download the Google Drive zip and unzip to a folder (your GW2 folder works!)

Then either run START.BAT, or:

3. Set Xpadder.exe to run in Compatibility Mode (Windows XP) and open it up. If necessary, load the controller/game profiles
4. Open Guild Wars 2 Mouse Script.exe
5. Enjoy!

You can put either START.BAT or the xpadder.exe and script in your Windows startup so you never have to think about it again.

Warning: you may become so accustomed to how awesome this is that you will actually be at a disadvantage if you try to go back to mouse and keyboard.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
The number of bags (and thus, the number of chances for them to drop) seems to be determined by how many enemies you kill. I'm not sure if the event rating makes a difference or not... I guess I'm not really answering your questions, but it might make more sense to go in there with 2 or 3 people so you can kill enemies more effectively.

Aye I'd like to do the event with people but it seems like everyone just wants to do tier 4 and we always end up wiping and never completing it so folks start to leave. =\ So I've just been going at it solo. Actually managed to get a silver rating after my first post but still only 2 bags so I'm just wondering if that last bag you get for killing 50 or whatever is the one with the drop chance. Also would magic find help at all with the skins?

Trey

I have utilities on ERT, heal on mouse 5, 1-5 and WASD are the same, class mechanics are shift+1-4, and I click for elite.

No has ever really said how Humans came into Tyria. The wiki only says the human Gods brought them, though I seem to remember reading somewhere that they came from "Across the sea". But space seems a bit of a stretch; more likely the Mists. They don't have fuckin Chris "Retcon" Metzen writing their story with his giant ham fists, after all.

I sorta see the Mists as a form of space. Hehe, but yeah not actual starships and outer space stuff.

But is the storyline really better than Metzens writing if we look at this objectively? The drama between the divinitys edge was almost Rurik levels. I think the lore for GW2 is cool, but not a lot of the characters.

It's time for you to join the legion of Guild Wars 2 gamers playing the superior way.

Download Gamepad Mode now. (Click on the google docs link, the go to File->Download)

There are so many design decisions that make GW2 a joy to play with a controller that it- in all honesty- feels like it was made for it.
If you are at all intrigued by the idea, and especially if you have an X360 pad (though this solution works to varying degrees with any input device), you owe it to yourself to try.

Control Scheme:

If that looks really complex to you, I promise that it's actually simpler in practice that it looks.
If that doesn't look really complex to you, you will be blown away by how absolutely natural GW2 feels playing with a controller.

Key Features:
  • Jump, dodge, target enemies, and access all your skills in one ergonomic configuration, requiring little to no wrist movement compared to a keyboard and mouse
  • Full analog stick camera control (like any third person action game)- in Windowed or Windowed Fullscreen mode, a crosshair can even be turned on from the .ini file to help you learn
  • Fixed-aim cursor position makes aiming AOE skills simple and fast
  • Advanced mappings such as toggling walk, about face (180-degree turn), and taking screenshots
  • Back button serves as a reset (press) or activates mouse control for menus/dialog choices/etc (hold)
  • Simply right-click (on your mouse itself) to resume normal mouse control for Windows.

Known Issues:
  • During cutscenes, zone changes, and other occasions when the player loses camera control, GW2 takes over mouse control and you'll initially be unable to move the camera. This is resolved by simply tapping the Back button once. This will quickly become second-nature (I don't even notice myself doing it anymore).
  • At present, some users running Windows 8 may have issues with the cursor re-positioning feature.

Installation:

Follow INSTRUCTIONS.TXT. It looks like a lot of steps but it is just very broken up to be as simple as possible. The quick-and-dirty version is as follows:

1. Make the following keybinds in-game (you can just add them as alternates, not replace the existing ones. These will not affect your M+K control, and are stored server-side so you can take your gamepad on the go!):
    , (comma) to "Previous Target".
    . (period) to "Swap Weapons".
    Numpad 8 to "Camera" -> "Zoom In".
    Numpad 2 to "Camera" -> "Zoom Out".
    Z to "Stow/Draw Weapons".
    X to "Swim Down". If there ever is a binding for "Crouch", bind it to X as well.
    L to "Toggle Walk / Run".
    U to "About Face".
    F5 to "GUI -> Hide / Show"
    F6 to "Screenshot -> Normal".
2. Download the Google Drive zip and unzip to a folder (your GW2 folder works!)

Then either run START.BAT, or:

3. Set Xpadder.exe to run in Compatibility Mode (Windows XP) and open it up. If necessary, load the controller/game profiles
4. Open Guild Wars 2 Mouse Script.exe
5. Enjoy!

You can put either START.BAT or the xpadder.exe and script in your Windows startup so you never have to think about it again.

Warning: you may become so accustomed to how awesome this is that you will actually be at a disadvantage if you try to go back to mouse and keyboard.

Any button left over for mumble push to talk?

Complistic

Hi are necros fun yet.

Yes, they're a lot better than they were before. They were actually overpowered in pvp before the last patch, but they've fixed that.

Although if you weren't having fun with the class before, it's more likely they're just not for you. I'd try another class. But if you weren't enjoying them because they felt weak then you'll likely enjoy them now.

Katoki

I found that one condition leveling guide on reddit that I'll need to have a go at. I've found that I have yet to grasp any potential of the necromancer from my attempts at running through PvP and WvW with it. I was thinking about leaning towards power/precision stats but it's very single target oriented when I think about it.

Er.

Yep, exactly this. A single right click resumes normal operation (the only "weird" thing the script does is hold RMB anyway). Alternatively, right click the green H icon in your task bar and close the AHK script.

I actually AM using a PS3 controller, but it does require MotionInJoy.

Oh, I have that (motioninjoy), it's just not optimal.

Have you tried the third-party BetterDS3 frontend? For me it solves all of the quirks of MIJ.

Someone who turns their character using only the keyboard (which is slow), instead of using the mouse to quickly change the direction they're looking. It was a joke, honestly, as it was considered a huge insult in WoW back in the day. Probably still is, when they're not wanking it over gearscore.

Actually, keyboard turning IS insanely slow in this game, especially compared to (or used to) a gamepad which is the best of both worlds (analog precision and speed like a mouse, "unlimited space" like the keys (no need to reposition a mouse)).

Indeed there is: RB(R1)+Start.

Yeah, no that controller stuff is for the birds. KB/M or in my case, N52/M > gamepad.

Have you actually tried it?

alright some of those aetherblade weapons look cool. like the pistol, rifle, and hammer. Are the skins account use like the other skins they added with the acheivement points or are they single time use

Katoki

alright some of those aetherblade weapons look cool. like the pistol, rifle, and hammer. Are the skins account use like the other skins they added with the acheivement points or are they single time use

Single apply to one item use. Then you buy/have a stash of fine transmutation crystals for moving the skin around.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I wish the control scheme I use had a button for Mumble speak. (I made my own before Weltall and Hawkian revealed theirs) I currently have my laptop sit next to my couch with mumble / mic and flick the mute button on that when I want to speak.

This results in me never speaking on mumble.

Katoki

I wish the control scheme I use had a button for Mumble speak. (I made my own before Weltall and Hawkian revealed theirs) I currently have my laptop sit next to my couch with mumble / mic and flick the mute button on that when I want to speak.

This results in me never speaking on mumble.

That could explain why I also rarely see you type to talk either. Then again, Hawkian is always typing something.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We do different things for this, but sure. I believe Weltall uses RB+Start (which equals F9 set in mumble).

Personally I hold both right triggers down which seems very awkward but has become really nautral for me.

Yeah, no that controller stuff is for the birds. KB/M or in my case, N52/M > gamepad.
all of this wrong, it's so wrong.

actually that N52 thingee is kinda cool looking.
They're permanent; I'm quite sure they'll be single use.

Complistic

I found that one condition leveling guide on reddit that I'll need to have a go at. I've found that I have yet to grasp any potential of the necromancer from my attempts at running through PvP and WvW with it. I was thinking about leaning towards power/precision stats but it's very single target oriented when I think about it.

This is pretty much the build i use. I usually chuckle to myself whenever I use epidemic. Numbers everywhere.

Have you actually tried it?

Don't need to. I've used controllers in DCUO and in Firefall both of which require less hotkeys/modifiers and I don't like the feel. I'm actually going to work towards moving away from the n52 altogether to just stick to kb/m. So when this one I have dies I won't feel the need to replace it.

Levyne

Banned
When I get around to leveling my necro, I was thinking about going condition since my all my current 80s are sitting in zerker (or close to it (ele))...thanks for the link.

Sophia

I've seen a lot of xpadder setups for Guild Wars 2, but it's rare to see one that's actually feasible. Good job Hawkin/Welltall.

Coverly

Can some one invite me to the guild? I'm online right now, character name: Winter Salad

To join the conversation from this page, I'm using a controller too. It's just easy to sit back and play that way. Though I have xpadder I'm using a pinnacle config I got online and it works great.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Can some one invite me to the guild? I'm online right now, character name: Winter Salad

To join the conversation from this page, I'm using a controller too. It's just easy to sit back and play that way. Though I have xpadder I'm using a pinnacle config I got online and it works great.
Cool cool, are you using our AHK script or something else to handle the camera stuff?

Coverly

Cool cool, are you using our AHK script or something else to handle the camera stuff?

I'm using this particular configuration:
http://pinnaclegameprofiler.com/pc-controller-support/alpha-gamepad-joystick/xbox-360-ps3-psx-etc/guild-wars-2

The mouse pointer can be handled freely if you press or press-hold the left trigger, otherwise the default is that the right stick moves the camera automatically. My ranger doesn't have that many skills where i need to select a location, so this configuration works pretty well for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom