• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monkey chants aimed at black players in Krakow for Euro 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Multiculturalism a fact of life in America?

As a political issue, multiculturalism is no longer a talking point on the national level, and it never has been a talking point like it is in Europe today. Not even Santorum railed against multiculturalism. In Europe, all the major players have leaders that flat out stated that multiculturalism has failed. This includes Britain.

Salazar

You're flailing around WWII at a grade school level. I'm sorry that my explanation does not fit your Manichean view of the conflict.

We're pretty much done if you don't acknowledge the Holocaust as systematic racist extermination, or as a historical event with its own magnitude and character.

I'd be disappointed if you continued in this vein and still had an account before long.

Wilbur

Banned
As a political issue, multiculturalism is no longer a talking point on the national level, and it never has been a talking point like it is in Europe today. Not even Santorum railed against multiculturalism. In Europe, all the major players have leaders that flat out stated that multiculturalism has failed. This includes Britain.

... what?

jtb

Banned

so we're no longer talking about it. this doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it doesn't mean the tensions have been resolved, it doesn't mean that the country has healed, etc. you'd think something like the birther movement, the "obama is a muslim" movement, the war on drugs, the HUGE income disparities between minorities (specifically blacks) and whites, the shocking statistics regarding education disparities between racial groups, etc.

this is ridiculous. you can't show that racial tensions don't exist because a couple of talking heads stopped talking about it.

and the moment we claim that those tensions no longer exist is the moment we allow racism to rise again.

... what?

Did I stutter?

We're pretty much done if you don't acknowledge the Holocaust as systematic racist extermination, or as a historical event with its own magnitude and character.
I have homework for you. Read my post again and see if you can actually understand the argument this time.

so we're no longer talking about it. this doesn't mean it doesn't exist, it doesn't mean the tensions have been resolved, it doesn't mean that the country has healed, etc.
That has nothing to do with the fact that multiculturalism as a political idea is not attacked here in America. My point is not that America is no longer racist or that America has no more progress to make, anyone who's familiar with my post history would know that very well. My point is that America is open to racial dialogue, that these things are discussed, whereas racism in Europe is taboo. No one wants to talk about it.

Wilbur

Banned
I took the multiculturalism argument to be that many European countries have been willing to have their traditions, laws, doctrines etc to exist side by side with those of other cultures, yet part of the 'American Dream' is buying into their culture and integrating themselves with the American way.

Wilbur

Banned

And reading this sort of backs up what I thought. I think a lot of European countries don't have as much a national identity as America might, but that's because of things like buying into the dream is such a fantastic vision for immigrants that it seems easier to live as an American rather than as a member of your own country yet in a place where you can make more money, live better, etc. Multiculturalism's failed in a lot of European identities as a theory, not in practise. Immigrants living in the UK do what they do and while it may be secular than that of a national identity, it's not as if the country wants them all out. It's just not as easy to marriage that of another culture with a national one as well as Americans seem to portray the buying into the American Dream.

Multiculturalism a fact of life in America? It sure isn't in the US where i am currently living. What do you mean with multiculturalism? In Europe they are talking about letting refugees into our countries, often people fleeing from your wars. Where I am from in Sweden we have whole communities formed by refugees because they want to live together. Half the immigrants coming to my past city couldn't read or write in any language. Maybe you should see this kind of humanitarian help and its consequences before you become all preachy.

What is the multiculturalism in your country? Black people who have been apart of your country for hundreds of years, or the Mexicans who migrate here and do everything in their power to create a better life for themselves. Is your multiculturalism having immigrants make your hamburgers and work on your fields?

Yes, Sweden the great melting pot of 85% swedes and... 5% Finns. And yes, you did a better job of asylum with Iraqis and Afghans, but don't pretend this is a major demographic shift in Sweden.

Where in the hell do you live, 1960s US...maybe Utah? Yes, all immigrants in the US work in the fields and flip burgers. That's all they do.

So you think that you are a good example because you don't talk about multiculturalism when you don't have the same multiculturalism because of the fact that you barely take any refugees. Last year the US took around 3 times as many refugees as Sweden(9 million people), why is it that you don't have multiculturalism?

Bo-Locks

I know you're angry, but statements like these are not helping you're case

The reach of those leagues and their clubs is massive. I could offer up mountains of data and charts showing the global audience, reach, revenue, rankings, fanbase etc to corroborate what I said, but I simply can't be bothered. Football is a global game, but the best talent will always end up at Europe, almost certainly in one of those four leagues. If those four countries could form some sort of independent European Super League, then the balance of power immediately shifts and UEFA and FIFA are fucked. Broadcasters would ditch UEFA and follow the big boys. The rest of Europe would follow. Without UEFA, FIFA becomes increasingly irrelevant and financially deprived.

The only reason it doesn't happen:

"The framework of Fifa is totally Catholic, meaning it’s organised around one Pope. That means if you are banned, you are stigmatised. Let’s say the Champions League decided Fifa was corrupt and decided to split off. Fifa would then say, ‘okay, Rooney can no longer play for England, and you’re not even allowed to call the games you play Association Football’. The new league would become a renegade construct. There’s basically no exit from Fifa’s cartel."

Anyhow, there was only ever one direction in which this thread was headed, so let's just sit back and enjoy.

Yes, Sweden the great melting pot of 85% swedes and... 5% Finns. And yes, you did a better job of asylum with Iraqis and Afghans, but don't pretend this is a major demographic shift in Sweden.

Where in the hell do you live, 1960s US...maybe Utah? Yes, all immigrants in the US work in the fields and flip burgers. That's all they do.
Sweden took a third as many refugees as the US last year.

I live in central coast Cali. If my message came out as "all the immigrants are flipping burgers" then i have to apologize cause that was not at all what I meant. But when you drive past the fields going into central California you won't see many Caucasian americans.

EDIT: I was trying to say that you guys take more workimmigrants and in many parts of Europe it is more refugees and therefore you don't get the same types of multicultural problems as we do.

Bo-Locks

I blame Salt Lake City being sloppy for the US not getting anymore international sporting events. If we could still play the game like Qatar and Russia do, we would have this thing in the bag.

The FA performed some sort of internal bribery investigation because a member of the bid committee sent the wives of FIFA delegates handbags and bouquets of flowers. I mean, if you're going to bribe your way to the finishing line, then at least do it properly and stuff them full of cash or something.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
620,000 died in the Civil War alone. What is your European equivalent?

aaaaahahahahahahahaha

the jews man... you're forgetting the jews.

also, I wouldn't call De Jong a Monkey

fpyHE.jpg

you wouldn't like him when he's angry

edit: Oh I read further and saw that Hitler wasn't racist after all. Excuse me while I go and laugh over there. Also, I did not realise that the Civil war in the US was SOLELY about slavery...

Sweden took a third as many refugees as the US last year.

I live in central coast Cali. If my message came out as "all the immigrants are flipping burgers" then i have to apologize cause that was not at all what I meant. But when you drive past the fields going into central California you won't see many Caucasian americans.

Yes, the US needs to do more about refugees, I agree. However, in terms of immigration, Sweden isn't going to touch the US, unless Sweden doubles wants to double its population every 10 years. From 2011, Sweden is still 90% Swedish, and 95% Nordic.

I am just depressed we only have 4.3 million Swedish Americans, a little under half the population of Sweden itself. I always like when the diaspora in the US is bigger then the home country.

And yes, immigrants typically do menial jobs, that's kinda why they immigrate to the US. There is a job opening that the native born population don't want, and it pays better then in the immigrant's home country. However, there is also a large percentage of the immigrant population that own businesses, or came here for study, or came here for high paying jobs. Most of my company are Chinese immigrants with graduate degrees from American universities. And not all immigrants in the food industry flip burgers. I can drive 15 minutes from where I am right now, and pretty much have any cuisine I want from immigrants from that country.

EDIT: I was trying to say that you guys take more workimmigrants and in many parts of Europe it is more refugees and therefore you don't get the same types of multicultural problems as we do.

Ok, I completely misunderstood you, and I am too tired to work on this edit. So lets call it a night, and let everyone else have their fun :)

Enosh

lol UK press is going full out with attacks on Poland and Ukraine
but last i checked only one place had 3 day long violent riots in the past year and it sure as fuck isn't those 2 countries

mxgt

Banned
I just don't understand why UEFA and FIFA continue to host major tournaments in places like this

Corrupt assholes

Feature

Banned
This thread. Especially the guy saying the holocaust wasn't racist... didn't know there were such dumb people in the world.

canvee

Saw a report on my local news channel awhile ago that showed neo-nazis (in Poland/Ukraine) going to football matches to start shit like this. Was wondering what would happen when the championship started :/

Great, the damn tournament hasn't even started yet and the idiot racists are already starting shit.

Was always going to happen. You ram the Anti-racism thing down a few nations throats and the rebels will always come out to make a noise in response.

It's like dealing with teenagers it doesn't work.

Aegus

France Vs England is going to be a clusterfuck with the local fans. Hoping both teams walk off at the slightest hint of racial abuse.

Ikael

I don't know why, but soccer matches acts like a magnet for racist dickwads, amplyfing the media coverage of their idiocy. Same thing happens here in Spain: the only place where I have ever seen people acting like racists assholes was not in a redneck town, a religious congregation or an aristocratic neighborhood, but inside a soccer stadium *sigh* I just don't get it. I love this sport, but hate the stupid crap that floats around it.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know why, but soccer matches acts like a magnet for racist dickwads, amplyfing the media coverage of their idiocy. Same thing happens here in Spain: the only place where I have ever seen people acting like racists assholes was not in a redneck town, a religious congregation or an aristocratic neighborhood, but inside a soccer stadium *sigh* I just don't get it. I love this sport, but hate the stupid crap that floats around it.

sports always attracts the dumbest people. it's just a side effect of idiots plus contests and isn't something to really worry about too much. some teams just need to walk off the field.

Uefa president Michel Platini says that any players who walk off the pitch at Euro 2012 due to racial abuse will be booked.

A BBC Panorama programme highlighted racism incidents at grounds in Poland and Ukraine, who co-host Euro 2012.

Manchester City and Italy striker Mario Balotelli threatened to walk off the pitch if he believed he was a victim.

But Platini said: "It's a yellow card. It's not a player - Mr Balotelli - who's in charge of refereeing."

Platini insists officials will deal with any racist incidents that occur during the tournament, which begins on Friday.

Platini is such a dumb wanker.

This thread. Especially the guy saying the holocaust wasn't racist... didn't know there were such dumb people in the world.

The best thing about it is he's a dumb fuck masquerading as an intellectual!

His backtracking when he released he done fucked up was great

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
Europe is different because Europe never had a civil rights movement.

Also, Europe is different because they are dealing with immigration coinciding with major economic issues, which is different that the US, because here, we built our economy on our racism. And still do in many economic sectors.

European racism and American racism are apples and oranges. Yes, they are both fruits, but they are different things.

That being said, UEFA's "Let the referees handle this." response is bullshit.

i don't get why these players allow racism to affect them. they should just ignore the chants and continue like nothing happened. acknowledging the racist chants only gives the racists power.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
i don't get why these players allow racism to affect them. they should just ignore the chants and continue like nothing happened. acknowledging the racist chants only gives the racists power.

Double edged sword.

I was taught that when I was a kid. There was this guy who used to call me the catalog of war based Asian slurs. And I would ignore it, teachers talked to him, but it didn't stop.

The one day, I walked up to him and kick him the balls so hard he puked.

Stopped after that.

Acknowledgement can give power. But non-confrontation doesn't discourage use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom