• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monkey chants aimed at black players in Krakow for Euro 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

Septy

There is nothing like this in US sports is what I mean. First time I ever heard about this type of stuff was like 5-6 years ago. I honestly never would have imagined that stuff like this happens in the 21st century. It's unthinkable in the US sports landscape that anything like this would happen. Any sliver of racism is stomped out immediately and you don't have to worry about racism when you attend sporting events. It doesn't even come up at all.

Again, this wouldn't happen in many European countries. You're generalizing a continent of 50 countries, based upon an incident in a fairly underdeveloped one.

You might as well be attacking Canada over something that's happening in Mexico, as they're both part of the same continent, and in a trade deal with one another.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I came here expecting a whole lot of baiting and euro-american thread shitting, but so far the turn has been sensational.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh, you don't get that it has an exceptionally deep ethnic aspect.

This is awkward.

Edit: Beaten. Why the fuck are we bothering, guys.

I don't know, hanging around for the train wreck I suppose. It's the first time I've ever audibly been shocked at ignorance on the internet.

Apart from doicare

And let us not forget that it wasn't just Jewish people that died under Nazi regime.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
whoever kicked off this 'hitler wasn't racist' is mastertroll

ittoryu

From: "In Poland and Ukraine ultras are still pretty much linked with stupid ass racism"
To: "In Europe everyone is racist".

Wow.

Multiculturalism a fact of life in America? It sure isn't in the US where i am currently living. What do you mean with multiculturalism? In Europe they are talking about letting refugees into our countries, often people fleeing from your wars. Where I am from in Sweden we have whole communities formed by refugees because they want to live together. Half the immigrants coming to my past city couldn't read or write in any language. Maybe you should see this kind of humanitarian help and its consequences before you become all preachy.

What is the multiculturalism in your country? Black people who have been apart of your country for hundreds of years, or the Mexicans who migrate here and do everything in their power to create a better life for themselves. Is your multiculturalism having immigrants make your hamburgers and work on your fields?

You've clearly never been to Chinatown, Little Havana, Germantowns in the midwest, etc etc etc etc

Most of the immigrants in my area do not speak english and do not try to assimilate themselves into american popular culture. Americans are much more tolerant and embrace multiculturalism because our culture is made up from parts of many other cultures.

As a political issue, multiculturalism is no longer a talking point on the national level, and it never has been a talking point like it is in Europe today. Not even Santorum railed against multiculturalism. In Europe, all the major players have leaders that flat out stated that multiculturalism has failed. This includes Britain.

so the province of Quebec is still decades behind because the nationalists still rant against multiculturalism

danwarb

You've clearly never been to Chinatown, Little Havana, Germantowns in the midwest, etc etc etc etc

Most of the immigrants in my area do not speak english and do not try to assimilate themselves into american popular culture. Americans are much more tolerant and embrace multiculturalism because our culture is made up from parts of many other cultures.
It's a big place, and It's not healthy to pretend racism/discrimination isn't still a problem for a lot of people. Legalised segregation was a part of US culture not so long ago.

It's a big place, and It's not healthy to pretend racism/discrimination isn't still a problem for a lot of people. Legalised segregation was a part of US culture not so long ago.

I didn't mean to suggest there are no longer any racists or bigots but its like, even they can appreciate stuff from other cultures here even if they do not realize that they are. There are people who say stuff like "I only shop my at my race's stores, buy stuff from my race etc" but those people are goddamn liars.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
This reminds me, did any dutch gaffer watch the documentary of the old black footballers in the dutch squad and how they were treated vs the other players? Even the pay was vastly different

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
With all due respect, you are fooling yourself, ElectricBlue187. ChiTownBuffalo explained it perfectly.

Europe is different because Europe never had a civil rights movement.

Also, Europe is different because they are dealing with immigration coinciding with major economic issues, which is different that the US, because here, we built our economy on our racism. And still do in many economic sectors.

European racism and American racism are apples and oranges. Yes, they are both fruits, but they are different things.

That being said, UEFA's "Let the referees handle this." response is bullshit.
Both Europe and America have racial issues that need to be fixed, but they are very much different. European racism is upfront, a quality derived from not having a civil rights movement like the one that took root in America. American racism is just well hidden/disguised, but very much latent and ugly.

Round up a number of random of same-race Americans, provide them with enough alcohol and/or bait in an amicable environment and let them rip. You'll get a lot of racial expelitives and awful opinions in very little time, sometimes from the people you'd least expect it.

PS: And don't get me started with that certain Kenian Muslim in the White House.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
PS: And don't get me started with that certain Kenian Muslim in the White House.

You mean, the guy from Illinois, who was born to a Kenyan father and white mother, who went to Harvard?

Only in America could he grow up and be one of the greatest modern rock guitarists.

imgTom%20Morello8.jpg

Fari

I'd like to personally thank Ignis Fatuus for opening my eyes to the fact that the Holocaust had nothing to do with racism.

Jesus Christ on a bike.

With all due respect, you are fooling yourself, ElectricBlue187. ChiTownBuffalo explained it perfectly.

Both Europe and America have racial issues that need to be fixed, but they are very much different. European racism is upfront, a quality derived from not having a civil rights movement like the one that took root in America. American racism is just well hidden/disguised, but very much latent and ugly.

Round up a number of random of same-race Americans, provide them with enough alcohol and/or bait in an amicable environment and let them rip. You'll get a lot of racial expelitives and awful opinions in very little time, sometimes from the people you'd least expect it.

I'm sorry I don't see how that quote applies to my argument. I've never said anywhere that there isn't racism in America, just that Americans by and large appreciate the effects of multiculturalism while it is shunned publicly in many places overseas. And yes, before you point it out, it is hypocritical of people to say "i hate mexicans" but they love mexican food or "i hate black people" but they love rap music. It makes no sense, but I see it everywhere.

Also, Tom Morello for president!

Kurtofan

I think one of the big things is that racism in American just isn't accepted, like you said. But unlike in Europe, you simply cant get away with this stuff here. Not at a major event at least. Its not about worrying about getting kicked out or anything. Its about making it out with most of your teeth still intact. Its just not socially acceptable. You'd be facing a mob of angry ass motherfuckers about to stomp you before you'd face a security guard.

In most of Europe you'll be prosecuted for hate speech, can't do that in America.

Chuckie

This reminds me, did any dutch gaffer watch the documentary of the old black footballers in the dutch squad and how they were treated vs the other players? Even the pay was vastly different

Haven't seen it. Is there a way to see it now?

Which squad? 88?

Do they get payed to play in Oranje???

Des0lar

will learn eventually
One problem I see, that these eastern European countries have is, that there is simply very little immigration in these countries. When I'm in Zagreb, Croatia, there is basically not a single black person there. People leave these countries, because the "west" still offers more opportunities.

The young people who stay there are, what I would guess, often too poor to leave, or very patriotic. In either case, a poor upbringing or strong sense of nationality could be a factor for such behaviour. It's really a pity. It will take years and years to get them on the same level as western Europe.

No one quite knows why and when Adolf Hitler became the antisemite that enabled something like the Holocaust, but the following episode is one in which he himself cites as opening his eyes to 'the Jewish question'

Once, as I was strolling through the Inner City, I suddenly encountered an apparition in a black caftan and black hair locks. Is this a Jew? was my first thought. For, to be sure, they had not looked like that in Linz. I observed the man furtively and cautiously, but the longer I stared at this foreign face, scrutinizing feature for feature, the more my first question assumed a new form: Is this a German?​

One of the lesser known aspects of the Holocaust was although it was evidently Jewish-centric, it wasn't limited to only Jews; homosexuals, people with poignant disabilities and those born with deformaties etc were amongst the victims. The central tenet that led to this genocide wasn't just antisemitism but a broader sense of 'racial purity'; they wanted a 'master' race. But if we look at modern society as an example, there are often other factors i.e. socioeconomic that perpetuate racism so I don't think it was just race relations that allowed young German men to execute children and women who would strip themselves naked in a final desperate plea.

Jake.

a huge percentage of krakow football fans are neo-nazi's or white supremacists - ross kemp did a documentary on two firms in the city for his 'ross kemp on gangs' series. pretty amazed an international team played there.

a huge percentage of krakow football fans are neo-nazi's or white supremacists - ross kemp did a documentary on two firms in the city for his 'ross kemp on gangs' series. pretty amazed an international team played there.

Pretty sure there isn't actually any matches played there, probably exactly because of that. Netherlands just chose to train there and seeing as Krakow won't get any euro matches, a lot showed up for training.

No one quite knows why and when Adolf Hitler became the antisemite that enabled something like the Holocaust, but the following episode is one in which he himself cites as opening his eyes to 'the Jewish question'

Once, as I was strolling through the Inner City, I suddenly encountered an apparition in a black caftan and black hair locks. Is this a Jew? was my first thought. For, to be sure, they had not looked like that in Linz. I observed the man furtively and cautiously, but the longer I stared at this foreign face, scrutinizing feature for feature, the more my first question assumed a new form: Is this a German?​

One of the lesser known aspects of the Holocaust was although it was evidently Jewish-centric, it wasn't limited to only Jews; homosexuals, people with poignant disabilities and those born with deformaties etc were amongst the victims. The central tenet that led to this genocide wasn't just antisemitism but a broader sense of 'racial purity'; they wanted a 'master' race. But if we look at modern society as an example, there are often other factors i.e. socioeconomic that perpetuate racism so I don't think it was just race relations that allowed young German men to execute children and women who would strip themselves naked in a final desperate plea.

Not to mention that Nazis treated people in areas they conquered as sub humans. Not just jews but slavs too. It's very silly to argue that WWII was not about racism. In Nazi ideology Germans, Brits and Scandinavians were part of the master race. Others were sub humans.

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Haven't seen it. Is there a way to see it now?

Which squad? 88?

Do they get payed to play in Oranje???
I saw Kluivert, Davids and Ceedorf, but it went from generation to generation. I only saw part of it, forgot the name, but I hope to find it on Uitzending Gemist. It was pretty interesting

did you guys know they held the Olympics in 1936 in Berlin which was at the time a Nazi state? it's a really interesting read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1936_Summer_Olympics

Hitler saw the Games as an opportunity to promote his government and ideals of racial supremacy, and did not want Jews or Blacks to be allowed to participate in the Games. However, when threatened with a boycott of the Games by other nations, he relented and allowed Blacks and Jews to participate, and added one token participant to the German team—a German woman, Helene Mayer, who had a Jewish father. At the same time, the party removed signs stating "Jews not wanted" and similar slogans from the city's main tourist attractions. In an attempt to "clean up" Berlin, the German Ministry of the Interior authorized the chief of police to arrest all Romani (Gypsies) and keep them in a special camp.

so yeah hitler was an unabashed racist.. i don't know how we got here given the topic at hand, but who cares really. hitler sure liked putting people into camps.

Chuckie

I saw Kluivert, Davids and Ceedorf, but it went from generation to generation. I only saw part of it, forgot the name, but I hope to find it on Uitzending Gemist. It was pretty interesting

oh wow... that's around 2000. If you do find it, PM me ok.

Dilly

Banned
This thread is amusing, it even has a Korey post about Yurop people in it. Got to be amazing arena's, fitting the population of Yurop in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom