• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 59th Annual Grammy Awards |OT| The Year Of Realizing Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Floridian

coverrrrr-400x300.jpg

Y'all know the drill. Music artists get nominated for awards (some undeserving) and either win or get snubbed. Performances too, yay.

59 Reasons To Watch The 59th Grammy Awards

When: Sunday, February 12th, 2017 (a.k.a tonight) at 8 pm EST on CBS channel
Host: James Corden

t1486947600z1.png

Not all of the winning categories will be televised and a good portion of them will be revealed during the premiere ceremony. It'll be updated accordingly. The albums nominated were released between October 1st of 2015 and September 30th of 2016.

Album Of The Year:
25 — Adele
Lemonade — Beyoncé
Purpose — Justin Bieber
Views — Drake
A Sailor's Guide To Earth — Sturgill Simpson

Record Of The Year:
"Hello" — Adele
"Formation" — Beyoncé
"7 Years" — Lukas Graham
"Work" — Rihanna Featuring Drake
"Stressed Out" — Twenty One Pilots

Song Of The Year:
"Formation" — Khalif Brown, Asheton Hogan, Beyoncé Knowles & Michael L. Williams II, songwriters (Beyoncé)
"Hello" — Adele Adkins & Greg Kurstin, songwriters (Adele)
"I Took A Pill In Ibiza" — Mike Posner, songwriter (Mike Posner)
"Love Yourself" — Justin Bieber, Benjamin Levin & Ed Sheeran, songwriters (Justin Bieber)
"7 Years" — Lukas Forchhammer, Stefan Forrest, Morten Pilegaard & Morten Ristorp, songwriters (Lukas Graham)

Best New Artist:
Kelsea Ballerini
The Chainsmokers
Chance The Rapper
Maren Morris
Anderson .Paak

Best Pop Vocal Album:
25 — Adele
Purpose — Justin Bieber
Dangerous Woman — Ariana Grande
Confident — Demi Lovato
This Is Acting — Sia

Best Pop Solo Performance:
"Hello" — Adele
"Hold Up" — Beyonce
"Love Yourself" — Justin Bieber
"Piece By Piece (Idol Version)" — Kelly Clarkson
"Dangerous Woman" — Ariana Grande

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance:
"Closer" — The Chainsmokers Featuring Halsey
"7 Years" — Lukas Graham
"Work" — Rihanna Featuring Drake
"Cheap Thrills" — Sia Featuring Sean Paul
"Stressed Out" — Twenty One Pilots

Best Dance/Electronic Album:
Skin — Flume
Electronica 1: The Time Machine — Jean-Michel Jarre
Epoch — Tycho
Barbara Barbara, We Face A Shining Future — Underworld
Louie Vega Starring...XXVIII — Louie Vega

Best Rock Song:
"Blackstar" — David Bowie, songwriter (David Bowie)
"Burn the Witch" —Radiohead, songwriters (Radiohead)
"Hardwired" — James Hetfield & Lars Ulrich, songwriters (Metallica
"Heathens" — Tyler Joseph, songwriter (Twenty One Pilots)
"My Name Is Human" — Rich Meyer, Ryan Meyer & Johnny Stevens, songwriters (Highly Suspect)

Best Rock Album:
California — Blink-182
Tell Me I'm Pretty — Cage The Elephant
Magma — Gojira
Death Of A Bachelor — Panic! At The Disco
Weezer — Weezer

Best Alternative Music Album:
22, A Million — Bon Iver
Blackstar — David Bowie
The Hope Six Demolition Project — PJ Harvey
Post Pop Depression — Iggy Pop
A Moon Shaped Pool — Radiohead

Best Urban Contemporary Album:
Lemonade — Beyoncé
Ology — Gallant
We Are King — KING
Malibu — Anderson .Paak
Anti — Rihanna

Best R&B Album:
In My Mind — BJ The Chicago Kid
Lalah Hathaway Live — Lalah Hathaway
Velvet Portraits — Terrace Martin
Healing Season — Mint Condition
Smoove Jones — Mya

Best Rap Song:
"All The Way Up" — Joseph Cartagena, Edward Davadi, Shandel Green, Karim Kharbouch, Andre Christopher Lyon, Reminisce Mackie & Marcello Valenzano, songwriters (Fat Joe & Remy Ma Featuring French Montana & Infared)
"Famous" — Chancelor Bennett, Ross Birchard, Ernest Brown, Andrew Dawson, Kasseem Dean, Mike Dean, Noah Goldstein, Kejuan Muchita, Patrick Reynolds, Kanye West & Cydel Young, songwriters (Kanye West Featuring Rihanna)
"Hotline Bling" — Aubrey Graham & Paul Jefferies, songwriters (Drake)
"No Problem" — Chancelor Bennett, Dwayne Carter & Tauheed Epps, songwriters (Chance The Rapper Featuring Lil Wayne & 2 Chainz)
"Ultralight Beam" — Chancelor Bennett, Kasseem Dean, Mike Dean, Kirk Franklin, Noah Goldstein, Samuel Griesemer, Terius Nash, Jerome Potter, Kelly Price, Nico "Donnie Trumpet" Segal, Derek Watkins, Kanye West & Cydel Young, songwriters (Kanye West Featuring Chance The Rapper, Kelly Price, Kirk Franklin & The-Dream)

Best Rap Album:
Coloring Book — Chance The Rapper
And the Anonymous Nobody — De La Soul
Major Key — DJ Khaled
Views — Drake
Blank Face LP — ScHoolboy Q
The Life of Pablo — Kanye West

Best Country Album:
Big Day In A Small Town — Brandy Clark
Full Circle — Loretta Lynn
Hero — Maren Morris
A Sailor's Guide To Earth — Sturgill Simpson
Ripcord — Keith Urban

Best Music Video:
"Formation" — Beyoncé
"River" — Leon Bridges
"Up & Up" — Coldplay
"Gosh" — Jamie XX
"Upside Down & Inside Out" — OK Go

Rest of Nominees here

Performers:
Adele
Beyoncé (?)
Kelsea Ballerini
William Bell and Gary Clark Jr.
Chance The Rapper and Kirk Franklin
Cynthia Erivo and John Legend for a special In Memoriam tribute performance
Lady Gaga and Metallica
Little Big Town
Demi Lovato with Andra Day and Tori Kelly celebrating the music of the Bee Gees and the 40th anniversary of Saturday Night Fever
Lukas Graham
Bruno Mars
Maren Morris and Alicia Keys
Anderson .Paak and A Tribe Called Quest
Katy Perry
Sturgill Simpson
Carrie Underwood and Keith Urban
Pentatonix
The Weeknd with Daft Punk
The confirmed ones at least.

240.jpg

Frodo

About who wins or loses:

UnSzARb.gif

Thanks for the thread, Floridian. But I suppose it will be used only to challenge the Grammy's relevance, or lack thereof. Please don't ban me mods. I just wanted to use that gif. :p

Edit: perched to see if Katy's performance will help her rapidly declining on the charts new song regain a few positions.

Drake's gonna win Best Rap Album and it's gonna be dumb. I just can't get down with his voice; he inherited some of Wayne's more annoying vocal tendencies.

I can get down with One Dance, tho

I can't tell if the actual show is streaming on CBS All Access or just the red carpet / etc. Anyone know? If it's the show, do you need to be a paying member, or will it work with cable login? The GF wants to watch this tonight but HBO, AMC, and Fox is new tonight so my DVR runneth over. If I can stream, no prob, but I don't pay for CBS All Access.

Am_I_Evil

interested to see what happens with Metallica & Gaga...other than that I don't really care...i'm sure the wife might wanna watch the whole thing though...

I'm looking forward to hearing Adele, Beyonce, Demi Lovato with Andra Day and Tori Kelly, Katy Perry, and Lady Gaga and Metallica performing.

I hope Beyonce wins several awards this year.

Floridian

Basically only here for some gif worthy stuff. I don't trust the academy at making any right decisions, especially when they're nominating songs like Hotline Bling as a "rap" song, and "best" at that.

And yeah the album cutoff is October 2015 to September 2016 for those wondering.

I can't tell if the actual show is streaming on CBS All Access or just the red carpet / etc. Anyone know? If it's the show, do you need to be a paying member, or will it work with cable login? The GF wants to watch this tonight but HBO, AMC, and Fox is new tonight so my DVR runneth over. If I can stream, no prob, but I don't pay for CBS All Access.

The cbs all access stream will most likely be red carpet only, or pre-show stuff. I don't know much about online streaming award shows tbh.

Best Urban Contemporary Album:
Lemonade — Beyoncé
Ology — Gallant
We Are King — KING
Malibu — Anderson .Paak
Anti — Rihanna

Huh? Why does this category even exist? These are just hip hop/R&B albums

old

As far as I'm concerned it's a two horse race between Adele and Beyoncé. Might as well let everyone else go home now.

jett

D-Member
Best Rap Song:
"All The Way Up" — Joseph Cartagena, Edward Davadi, Shandel Green, Karim Kharbouch, Andre Christopher Lyon, Reminisce Mackie & Marcello Valenzano, songwriters (Fat Joe & Remy Ma Featuring French Montana & Infared)
"Famous" — Chancelor Bennett, Ross Birchard, Ernest Brown, Andrew Dawson, Kasseem Dean, Mike Dean, Noah Goldstein, Kejuan Muchita, Patrick Reynolds, Kanye West & Cydel Young, songwriters (Kanye West Featuring Rihanna)
"Hotline Bling" — Aubrey Graham & Paul Jefferies, songwriters (Drake)
"No Problem" — Chancelor Bennett, Dwayne Carter & Tauheed Epps, songwriters (Chance The Rapper Featuring Lil Wayne & 2 Chainz)
"Ultralight Beam" — Chancelor Bennett, Kasseem Dean, Mike Dean, Kirk Franklin, Noah Goldstein, Samuel Griesemer, Terius Nash, Jerome Potter, Kelly Price, Nico "Donnie Trumpet" Segal, Derek Watkins, Kanye West & Cydel Young, songwriters (Kanye West Featuring Chance The Rapper, Kelly Price, Kirk Franklin & The-Dream)

What's the deal with some of these? Why do you need a dozen people to write a song?

LionPride

Banned
As long as that trash ass album Views wins nothing and Chance or .Pakk win best new artist I'm straight

Lemonade better win over 25 too

I listened to that fucking album three times, because I listen to an album three times before reviewing it

That means I listened to that trash ass album three fucking times, it's shit

So you gon say weston roads trash?
Controlla?
FEEL NO WAYS?
Its not trash music, you just dont like it

LionPride

Banned
So you gon say weston roads trash?
Controlla?
FEEL NO WAYS?
Its not trash music, you just dont like it

It's by far his worst album, it's not good. Like at all, to me it is trash. It goes beyond that I don't like it, I think it was one of the worst rap albums to come out in 2016 and that was a year that had a J.Cole album come out

The best song to me on that album is Grammys and that's because it's just Future for the majority of the song

It's by far his worst album, it's not good. Like at all, to me it is trash. It goes beyond that I don't like it, I think it was one of the worst rap albums to come out in 2016 and that was a year that had a J.Cole album come out

The best song to me on that album is Grammys and that's because it's just Future for the majority of the song
Lls, ight.

Floridian

Danny Brown was snubbed for best rap album. And yeah Views is.... not excellent. Would be a surprise winner for the aoty category still.

LionPride

Banned
I don't get the hate for views, it was one of the best Dance Pop albums of 2016.
I honestly feel like this is a major insult to an album that is supposed to be hip-hop

Also the album is shit but that's a different topic

The Grammys already deserve all the shit they get, but if the Chainsmokers win best new artist over Chance the Rapper..
I'm a big Chainsmokers guy, really like they shit, but if they win over Chance or .paak I'll riot

Maybe Maren Morris can win, she's a talent

jax

Banned
If twenty one douchbags beats black star I will personally write the Grammys a letter with dog feces in it.

Delio

Cant believe my boys from Twenty-one pilots got nominated that many times. Doubt they will win record of the year but to even be there is amazing.

I honestly feel like this is a major insult to an album that is supposed to be hip-hop

Also the album is shit but that's a different topic

I'm a big Chainsmokers guy, really like they shit, but if they win over Chance or .paak I'll riot

Maybe Maren Morris can win, she's a talent

Closer is decent for what it is, but Paris is awful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom