• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 59th Annual Grammy Awards |OT| The Year Of Realizing Stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mau ®

Not very excited but I'll watch.

Hoping Beyoncé takes it. Not because she should win, but because I'm afraid there will be a very, very serious backlash if she doesn't.

Mau ®

The Chainsmokers are nominated for Best New Artist? But they've been around for years?

Even if the Grammy's excuse of them having a "breakout hit" last year, it still wouldn't make sense. Selfie was a huge hit years ago, "Roses" did very well too. Ugh these old white folks running the show I swear.

LionPride

Banned
Mau ®;230184975 said:
The Chainsmokers are nominated for Best New Artist? But they've been around for years?

Even if the Grammy's excuse of them having a "breakout hit" last year, it still wouldn't make sense. Selfie was a huge hit years ago, "Roses" did very well too. Ugh these old white folks running the show I swear.

It's based off of mainstream success

Same reason Anderson .Paak is qualified as a new artist

LionPride

Banned
Mau ®;230185187 said:
Like I said, "Selfie" was a very big hit. And "Roses" (their best song) did quite well. They were mainstream before "Closer".
But not Grammy mainstream, whatever weird fuckin metric that is

Same with Chance too considering Acid Rap was in 2013. Coloring Book was his "breakout" project.
I ain't even wanna give myself a headache with that shit, but I guess it's because Coloring Book is able to be nominated for a Grammy while Acid Rap wasn't

daffy

Banned
whew people still willing to go to war over their favorite getting a fucking grammy win

yall aint changed

LionPride

Banned
For the rest of our lives we will have to hear how 1989 "Stole" album of the year from To Pimp A Butterfly.

I mean, it didn't deserve it. Shit I would have been fine if Sound & Color won because that album was flames

But a decent to good album in 1989 won over two great albums

Majmun

Beyoncé won Best Video for Formation

here they come
doNK7x8.jpg

Floridian

Best Music Video:
"Formation" — Beyoncé
"River" — Leon Bridges
"Up & Up" — Coldplay
"Gosh" — Jamie XX
"Upside Down & Inside Out" — OK Go

Best Music Film:
I'll Sleep When I'm Dead — Steve Aoki
The Beatles: Eight Days A Week The Touring Years — (The Beatles)
Lemonade — Beyoncé
The Music Of Strangers — Yo-Yo Ma & The Silk Road Ensemble
American Saturday Night: Live From The Grand Ole Opry — (Various Artists)

Majmun

Formation has kinda swept every award in the past year hasn't it.

It has

AICE Awards: Best Music Video - Formation
BET Awards: Centric Award - Formation
BET Awards: Coca-Cola Viewers' Choice Award - Formation
BET Awards: Video Of The Year - Formation
Cannes Lions Entertainment for Music Awards - GRAND PRIX: Excellence In Music Video - Formation
Clio Awards: Innovation and Creative Excellence - Formation
Grammy Awards: Best Video - Formation
Ireland Kinsale Shark Awards: Best Direction - Formation
Ireland Kinsale Shark Awards: Best International Music Video - Formation
London International Awards: Best Direction - Formation
London International Awards: Best Music Video - Formation
MTV Video Music Awards: Best Choreography - Formation
MTV Video Music Awards: Best Cinematography - Formation
MTV Video Music Awards: Best Direction - Formation
MTV Video Music Awards: Best Editing - Formation
MTV Video Music Awards: Best Pop Video - Formation
MTV Video Music Awards: Video of the Year - Formation
NAACP Awards: Video of the Year - Formation
Soul Train Music Awards: Song of the Year - Formation
Soul Train Music Awards: Video of the Year - Formation
UK Music Video Awards: Best Styling - Formation
WatsUp TV Africa Music Video Awards: Best International Video - Formation

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Hope the tribe and chance performances are good. Worried about the tribe one because it's probably going to be that PAAK song that's the worded one.

Tall4Life

Hope the tribe and chance performances are good. Worried about the tribe one because it's probably going to be that PAAK song that's the worded one.

From the schedule leak, it looks like it's going to be all Tribe songs. Movin Backwards, We the People, and Award Tour.

Floridian

Best Dance Recording:
"Tearing Me Up" — Bob Moses
"Don't Let Me Down" — The Chainsmokers Featuring Daya
"Never Be Like You" — Flume Featuring Kai
"Rinse & Repeat" — Riton Featuring Kah-Lo
"Drinkee" — Sofi Tukker

Best Dance/Electronic Album:
Skin — Flume
Electronica 1: The Time Machine — Jean-Michel Jarre
Epoch — Tycho
Barbara Barbara, We Face A Shining Future — Underworld
Louie Vega Starring…XXVIII — Louie Vega

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
People who say Views isnt good, i feel like they havent even listened to it
It's not a good album, it's average and bloated as hell. Critics didn't even like it. The only reason it got nominated was because of it being so commercially successful. Same with Bieber and Adele.

It's not a good album, it's average and bloated as hell. Critics didn't even like it. The only reason it got nominated was because of it being so commercially successful.

It's kind of funny that the Oscars get flak because they don't nominate the most commercially successful films, while the Grammys get flak because they do.

WaffleTaco

It's kind of funny that the Oscars get flak because they don't nominate the most commercially successful films, while the Grammys get flak because they do.
The Oscars are actually treated with respect to an extent, meanwhile the Grammy's are treated like a joke. The problem with the Grammy's is because if they went the artistic route, no one would watch.

Aomber

The Oscars are actually treated with respect to an extent, meanwhile the Grammy's are treated like a joke. The problem with the Grammy's is because if they went the artistic route, no one would watch.
Pretty much. That's why it's a really common misconception by the general public that the Grammys is "only for popular music", there's lots of awards that are absolutely not pop related at all, but understandably they have to cater to pop music for the televised section if they want people to watch.

Floridian

Best Country Album:
Big Day In A Small Town — Brandy Clark
Full Circle — Loretta Lynn
Hero — Maren Morris
A Sailor's Guide To Earth — Sturgill Simpson
Ripcord — Keith Urban

WaffleTaco

Pretty much. That's why it's a really common misconception by the general public that the Grammys is "only for popular music", there's lots of awards that are absolutely not pop related at all, but understandably they have to cater to pop music for the televised section if they want people to watch.
Wish people would realize this.

Best Country Album:
Big Day In A Small Town — Brandy Clark
Full Circle — Loretta Lynn
Hero — Maren Morris
A Sailor's Guide To Earth — Sturgill Simpson
Ripcord — Keith Urban
I kind of feel like it's disingenuous to put an AOTY nominee with the other counterparts of it's genre. Either it wins it's genre due to obviousness or it shouldn't have been nominated either.

Floridian

Best R&B Performance:
"Turnin' Me Up" — BJ The Chicago Kid
"Permission" — Ro James
"I Do" — Musiq Soulchild
"Needed Me" — Rihanna
"Cranes in the Sky" — Solange

Best R&B Song:
"Come and See Me" — J. Brathwaite, Aubrey Graham & Noah Shebib, songwriters (PartyNextDoor Featuring Drake)
"Exchange" — Michael Hernandez & Bryson Tiller, songwriters (Bryson Tiller)
"Kiss It Better" — Jeff Bhasker, Robyn Fenty, John-Nathan Glass & Natalia Noemi, songwriters (Rihanna)
"Lake By the Ocean" — Hod David & Musze, songwriters (Maxwell)
"Luv" — Magnus August Høiberg, Benjamin Levin & Daystar Peterson, songwriters (Tory Lanez)

Best Rap Performance:
"No Problem" — Chance The Rapper Featuring Lil Wayne & 2 Chainz
"Panda" —Desiigner
"Pop Style" — Drake Featuring The Throne
"All The Way Up" — Fat Joe & Remy Ma Featuring French Montana & Infared
"That Part" — ScHoolboy Q Featuring Kanye West

Biff

Is there a schedule posted for when in the evening each performance is happening?

I just want to see Daft Punk lol.

Floridian

Best Rap/Sung Performance:
"Freedom" — Beyoncé Featuring Kendrick Lamar
"Hotline Bling" — Drake
"Broccoli" — D.R.A.M. Featuring Lil Yachty
"Ultralight Beam" — Kanye West Featuring Chance The Rapper, Kelly Price, Kirk Franklin & The-Dream
"Famous" — Kanye West Featuring Rihanna

Best Rap Song:

"All The Way Up" — Joseph Cartagena, Edward Davadi, Shandel Green, Karim Kharbouch, Andre Christopher Lyon, Reminisce Mackie & Marcello Valenzano, songwriters (Fat Joe & Remy Ma Featuring French Montana & Infared)
"Famous" — Chancelor Bennett, Ross Birchard, Ernest Brown, Andrew Dawson, Kasseem Dean, Mike Dean, Noah Goldstein, Kejuan Muchita, Patrick Reynolds, Kanye West & Cydel Young, songwriters (Kanye West Featuring Rihanna)
"Hotline Bling" — Aubrey Graham & Paul Jefferies, songwriters (Drake)
"No Problem" — Chancelor Bennett, Dwayne Carter & Tauheed Epps, songwriters (Chance The Rapper Featuring Lil Wayne & 2 Chainz)
"Ultralight Beam" — Chancelor Bennett, Kasseem Dean, Mike Dean, Kirk Franklin, Noah Goldstein, Samuel Griesemer, Terius Nash, Jerome Potter, Kelly Price, Nico "Donnie Trumpet" Segal, Derek Watkins, Kanye West & Cydel Young, songwriters (Kanye West Featuring Chance The Rapper, Kelly Price, Kirk Franklin & The-Dream)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom