• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTL| Not a lick of constructive conversation here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Seems like we both broke the record of the most posts in a single OT, that's something I guess.

Don't know if we should be proud of that though :lol

You actually didn't, but hey, that's cool.

Soul Catcher(s) 1
tumblr_mn66weYk6d1qbxqfpo1_500.png

One of the best start to a new Jump manga in a while. Really moving and quite emotional too there. The growing bond and friendship between Kamine and Tokisaka combined with their teamwork in really and vividly helping Moko made it quite the page turned at the final twenty or so pages. I almost wanted it to not end cause just the visuals and descriptions, and Tokisaka's reactions to the cryptic things Kamine was saying but how he still understood it made it fun. Felt really unique for a manga premise as well and the art is good. Artist really does their expressions of joy really good. Hyped for more.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Saying 1,500 posts in a 20K thread beats 2,850 in a 46K thread is like saying you broke the home run record by having 40 home runs at the All-Star Break.

I still don't know how a music manga is supposed to work, when there's no music. But maybe I'm just stupid.

Sakamichi no Apollon does it.

Kurita

I still don't know how a music manga is supposed to work, when there's no music. But maybe I'm just stupid.
It didn't bother me in Nodame Cantabile and Beck to be honest. As long as the author does a good job "describing" it and showing the emotions of the characters it's good.

survivor

Banned
It didn't bothered me in Nodame Cantabile and Beck to be honest. As long as the author does a good job "describing" it and showing the emotions of the characters it's good.
Plus its not really important to hear the music since at the end its just filler. Assume its something nice sounding and move on and enjoy the characters drama.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

It's not about the music, it's about emotions.

Granted, music really helps to convey emotions but it's not strictly necessary.

one more for the xbox stuff...

http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-does-require-internet-connection-cant-play-o-509164109

Kotaku: If I’m playing a single player game, do I have to be online at least once per hour or something like that? Or can I go weeks and weeks?

Harrison: I believe it’s 24 hours.

Kotaku: I’d have to connect online once every day.

Harrison: Correct.

So the system is built to work even if your Internet connection goes down, but you still have to be connected at least once a day to use it, Harrison said. We're not sure exactly what would happen if you don't connect once per day—and that timeframe could change—but this doesn't sound good for anyone who was hoping to use Xbox One without an Internet connection.

For music is usually look at the reaction/emotions of the character, for food I look at the food itself

Bleach vol 36 (reread x 4)
tumblr_mn6655NobU1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Encountered this material so many times already but came back to it in the volume forms. Always liked the random things happening in between the chapters and Turning Back the Pendulum has always been a fun miniarc to re encounter again every now and then. How long have you know that I was there, since you were in your mother's womb is always a line that makes me laugh.

Akito

Soul Catchers 1
The art is as generic as the color pages suggest and the description of one dude who is able to see the people's hearts and one another who can move them through his music says it all, there was not much more to it. The drama build up could have been better and I don't buy the "reaching a person who has completely shut his heart out just by playing more determinedly" business. I'll pass and I don't see it last too long either if I have to make a prediction.

You gotta give it to Harrison, at least he's honest and not dodging any questions. And I really wouldn't want to trade with him.

its always weird to see but being fair he did the same at Sony.

Its just some of the things he says that gets him in trouble with the fans (like the ps3 not needing rumble LOL)

Soul Catchers 1
The art is as generic as the color pages suggest and the description of one dude who is able to see the people's hearts and one another who can move them through his music says it all, there was not much more to it. The drama build up could have been better and I don't buy the "reaching a person who has completely shut his heart out just by playing more determinedly" business. I'll pass and I don't see it last too long either if I have to make a prediction.

Well its on the chapter 17-21 list of potential death anyways.

We'll see how long it lasts.

Soul Catcher(s) 1

This was not good at all. The art is really generic and I can't stand the way the MC sees the people's hearts. I'm sure it's supposed to be cute and whatnot, but it doesn't click with me. Seeing him going all depressed and Sasuke about the fact that he can't change people's heart doesn't get me either.

Zk4dt3X.png

Just shut up, you got problems on your own.

But then our MC luckily meets Facey McSameface, who's playing an instrument and he's totally drawn to him, in a non-sexual way (lol).

Who would've thought that good music can affect people and their mood? What an amazing story. Will definitely read more.

dramatis

WARNING: There may be spoilers in some of these recs, reviews, or impressions. If you want to avoid that, just post a general question about the manga (don't do this on Wednesday though).
  1. oh god I think I might be a manga hipster - A smattering of assorted first impressions of less commonly read manga. From El Sloth.
  2. The best shoujo manga I've ever read. - I think this is about Glass Mask? From Antiwhippy.
  3. One of the best things of this manga is the post-apocalyptic setting with elements of dark fantasy. For Kiba no Tabishounin - The Arms Peddler. From ColossalLazy.
  4. Well damn, that was one hell of an experience. - For Helter Skelter. From Akito.
  5. Cardboard magical girl takes the stage! For Silva. From dakkumauji.
  6. A really interesting embellishment on the story of WW2... For Message to Adolf. From Antiwhippy.
  7. It's great seeing that both girls, in the end, value each other's friendship so damn much. For The Secret of Friendship. From Lain.
  8. Its greatest strength lies in its treatment of the core characters. For Akame ga Kill. From PK Gaming.
  9. You really feel like you're brought back to the early 20th century when you read it. For Gisèle Alain. From Kurita.
  10. It's got a really neat mystery bent to it. For Boku wa Mari no Naka. From wonzo.
  11. The best part about this series...is the way it handles the various sub-stories. For Your and My Footprints - The Time Travel Kasuga Laboratory. From Lain. (available largely only in Japanese)
  12. A story revolving around an art university student, his relationship with an older woman and the search of what to do in life. For The Day Before Summer. From Lain.
  13. The story is interesting, crazy and funny, with a really nice art style. For Stardust Niina Vol 1. From Lain.
  14. Nice and heart-warming slice of life story about adults unsure about life and growing up, love, and cats. For Nineteen, Twenty-One. From survivor.
  15. Manga in the slice of life genre. Post full of recs by survivor.
  16. Well written collection of short stories densely packed with sharp realistic dialogues and alternative art style. For Kinderbook. From survivor.
  17. Talking sheep, romance between the main girl and a guy who wants to kill her, and crime mystery everywhere. For Coelacanth. From survivor.
  18. This manga managed to be both creative, ridiculously crazy, and still maintain a great eerie and creepy atmosphere. For Uzumaki. From survivor.
  19. The lovable adventures and ruminations of a cute little girl. For Ryuushika Ryuushika Vol 1. From Noirulus.
  20. This is a collection of short stories by Ishiguro Masakazu. For Present for Me. From flawfuls.
  21. Good opener first volume for what might be a great psychological thriller. For Eternal Sabbath Vol 1. From survivor.
  22. Don't care about the genre but id like a good story with amazing art. From survivor.
  23. Fantastic coming of age story filled with angst, melodrama, and passionate boys love. For Heart of Thomas. From survivor.
  24. Edo period Japan where most males have died to an unknown disease, and thus females rose to power politically and are now ruling the country. For Ooku: The Inner Chambers Vol 1. From survivor.
  25. How much are you in love with your boyfriend? Do you love him so much that you'll fuck his brother? For Sense and Sensibility. From Lain. (Not exactly a rec, but if it's up your alley...)
  26. This started of great and continued to be great until the "Hunter" arc ended. For Spiral: Bonds of Reasoning. From dumbyugi.
  27. Climbing is a great and unusual theme allowing to include some intense hot-blooded scenes. For Kokou No Hito Vol 1. From Kurita.
  28. Do you abandon your dreams and goals and stick with your love? For Tenshi Nanka Ja Nai Vol 3. From survivor.
  29. A great beautiful and tragic love story with simple yet elegant and brilliant art style. For Red Colored Elegy. From survivor.
  30. It's just the life in this small town featuring a cast of diverse, interesting and human characters. For Umimachi Diary. From Kurita.
  31. An excellent autobiographical work that details Yoshihiro Tatsumi's career as a manga artist. For A Drifting Life. From survivor.
  32. Supernatural detective story in Tokyo, at the end of the 19th century. For Toukei Ibun Vol 1. From brokasten.
  33. It's funny, well-written, and following the lives of the fujoushis is great, even better than male otakus! For Kuragehime Vol 1. From Kurita.
  34. The portrayal of the war is indeed as ruthless as anywhere else, that combined with this cutesy art style makes this quite an interesting read. For Điện Biên Phủ 1. From Akito.
  35. A tragic story about the group of soldiers who are ordered to throw their lives away for a helpless cause. For Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths. From survivor.
  36. Very creative and meaningful stories about life, immortality, survival, and reincarnation. For Phoenix. From survivor.
  37. They meet God and tell their story to Him in return He offers a bit of wisdom. For Regarding Death. From ColossalLazy.
  38. The historical romance is still good as ever, and the laid back relaxing atmosphere while still maintaining some drama and conflicts is a pleasure to read. For Emma. From survivor.
  39. Hot-blooded ship salvaging. For Waga na wa umishi. From Antiwhippy.
  40. Really liked it. I feel like it has a lot of heart and the setting has a lot of potential. For Dorohedoro. From Deified Data.
  41. It's as if you were in the restaurant, with people eating, the owner smoking his cigarette while listening carefully to them. For Shinya Shokudou. From Kurita.
  42. Overall, once you read this, you'll be hooked until the end. For A Girl by the Seaside. From Memento_Mori15.
  43. Assorted individual manga volume recs. From Lain.
  44. Do any of you read much Josei or Seinen? Any recommendations for lesser known, quality series? Superlisting compiled by Aad.
  45. More individual manga volume recs from Lain.
  46. Likeable hero, good cast of characters... It's classic but it works, definitely entertaining. For Daiya no A. From Kurita.
  47. Watching Seki-kun inventing crazy games with trivial things is so much fun. For Tonari no Seki-kun. From Kurita.
  48. It's dark, surreal, violent, and crazy. For Alice in Hell. From survivor.
  49. I like the time period and a story like this, combined with supernatural elements, this really intrigued me. For Shinobi no Kuni. From brokasten.
  50. Are you a bad enough dude to read this manga? Are you? For Cromartie High School. From Kurita.
  51. Most of them were really interesting exploring very different themes which made this a very strong collection of oneshots. For A Drunken Dream and Other Stories. From survivor.
  52. Multiple volumes reading by Lain.
  53. This is a pretty good and funny baseball manga. For Koukou Kyuuji Zawa-san. From survivor.
  54. Shoujo series about a school for students who can't fit into society. For Cat Street Vol 1. From survivor.
  55. It may look like a ordinary sports/football manga but a better description would be a short story collection with football as an overarching theme. For 1/11. From Akito.
  56. At one point I was even afraid to turn the page, seriously. For Hideout. From brotkasten.
  57. What an utterly brilliant story. For Drifting Classroom. From wonzo.
  58. Getenrou starts as a nice little collection of short stories, set in the future, and what connects them all are either the protagonists, or Getenrou, the building, where they live in. For Gentenrou. From brotkasten.
  59. Over 100 years ago, Yaeko broke traditional Japanese stereotypes, gender, and honor to become a gun-warrior in defense of her homeland of Aizu. For Yae no Sakura. From brotkasten.
  60. A huge text-heavy post about Asano Inio's short stories collections. From survivor.
  61. Everything listed below is 4 volumes or less and is either seinen or josei (also old school shoujo). From survivor.
  62. The rush times lead to some hot-blooded and exciting scenes, you can really feel that the cooks are under pressure. For Bambino. From Kurita.
  63. How are you so good at drawing, Inoue? For Vagabond Vol 1-2. From survivor.
  64. I do like how the main character, Tomura Toshiko, is a twisted evil person and there really isn't any sort of redemption or payback. For The Book of Human Insects. From survivor.
  65. Plays with perspective in some pretty crazy ways. For Japan Tengu Party Illustrated Vol 1. From curlyfriski.
  66. Ecchi comedy about two best friends who are in love with each other's little sister. For Sisterism. From SDBurton. (<__<)
  67. It definitely has a warm and cosy feeling, as the bar is a great and relaxing setting. For Bartender. From Kurita.

Bleach v37 (reread)
tumblr_mn693hxZtn1qbxqfpo1_400.png

Finished this volume on a 15 minute bus ride...In any event, Bleach really got what seemed to be quite a few color pages in just these two volumes, that seemed rather high, unless its the usual number. Feels like in recent times its much less? I miss the high level kido skills and Ryujin Jakka :(

Akito

Well she'll star in the live action Black Butler and LDK movies!
Oh yeah, I remember watching the trailer for Black Butler, or it could have been a promo picture though, not sure. She plays the shouta, yes? I may give BB a try this time. The hell is LDK?

Akito

Yeah seems like she'll play a guy.

As for L-DK :
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=40931

Shuusei Kugayama is the "prince" of his high school, but he always turns down confessions--including one from Aoi Nishimori's best friend. Although she initially hates him for this, when Shuusei moves in next door to Aoi, who lives alone, she starts thinking that he might not be such a bad guy after all...

Sounds exciting...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom