• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monkey chants aimed at black players in Krakow for Euro 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Vacation plans cancelled. Europe sucks.

Your loss. Europe is amazing and went to various countries, including Spain, which gets a bad rap for racism, and everyone was kind and decent.

America, while more sensitive about race, still has its own issues. The Trayvon Martin case and other injustices prove that pretty easily.

Wilbur

Banned
There is nothing like this in US sports is what I mean. First time I ever heard about this type of stuff was like 5-6 years ago. I honestly never would have imagined that stuff like this happens in the 21st century. It's unthinkable in the US sports landscape that anything like this would happen. Any sliver of racism is stomped out immediately and you don't have to worry about racism when you attend sporting events. It doesn't even come up at all.

I'm not a gung ho patriot by any means, but I do get very tired of seeing thread after thread about stupid things in the US (the kid dressing up as MLK, tweets, etc) when none of these "issues" come close to what's going on in other countries. And all the "Americans are ignorant" comments are ironic coming from countries that can't put on a sporting event without a horrible display of racism.

I just think it's fucking stupid that you all go 'whelp, fuck Europe'. It's not the same as America. It's different countries. It's like saying every African or Asian country is the same. China and Pakistan? The same! Egypt and Zimbabwe? The same!

There's obviously a huge problem with racism in some countries but from a very very small minority. Tarring every country with the same brush is ignorant, no matter where you're from.

Seanspeed

Banned
Tarring every country with the same brush is ignorant, no matter where you're from.
Welcome to being an American thats judged by somebody outside our country. We're all ignorant, racist, fat-asses that wear stars and stripes and shoot guns in the air when our football team scores a touchdown.

I'm not usually one to get all worked up about victim persecution and all, but its definitely worth making the very timely point that not ALL Americans are the way a lot of you think we are, just like all Polish people aren't racists and neither are all Europeans.

Wilbur

Banned
Welcome to being an American thats judged by somebody outside our country. We're all ignorant, racist, fat-asses that wear stars and stripes and shoot guns in the air when our football team scores a touchdown.

I'm not usually one to get all worked up about victim persecution and all, but its definitely worth making the very timely point that not ALL Americans are the way a lot of you think we are, just like all Polish people aren't racists and neither are all Europeans.

But it's only Americans making the generalisations here. Fair play to you for saying what you say in the last sentence, but for everyone else to obviously be American and be persecuted like you are and still to say fucking stupid stuff about the entirety of Europe, it's perplexing.

There's always a group of idiots in every stadium.

Really? Because this doesn't go on in the United States. I couldn't imagine "groups of hundreds" making monkey chants at Lebron James or Michael Vick, and these guys are amongst the most disliked athletes.

This holds true up at the highest level in places like Madison Square Garden, down to the lowest level high school football game.

What a load of shit. I hope black players stand together and ruin this fucking tournament. Fuck UEFA, fuck FIFA, fuck these racist backwards people.

So you mean just racist in general. I don't mind the monkey chants. It will just make their victory so much sweeter. Its hard to stop racism at large level like that,so i can understand why they would rather deny it than say "THERES NOTHING WE CAN DO TO STOP IGNORANT PEOPLE"

let racist people be, europe has no diversity compared to america,neither does the rest of the world. people calling us racist is ludicrous. maybe southerns.

Sure, let racist be racist, and let people walk the fuck off when they want.

But it's only Americans making the generalisations here. Fair play to you for saying what you say in the last sentence, but for everyone else to obviously be American and be persecuted like you are and still to say fucking stupid stuff about the entirety of Europe, it's perplexing.

Saying that this would never happen in America does not mean I'm saying all Europeans are racist. But I am saying that North America is the least racist continent. Something like this is unthinkable in NA. Again, that doesn't mean all Europeans are racist.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Saying that this would never happen in America does not mean I'm saying all Europeans are racist. But I am saying that North America is the least racist continent. Something like this is unthinkable in NA. Again, that doesn't mean all Europeans are racist.

Least racist? I don't think so. Different brand of racism sure.

Seanspeed

Banned

Fair enough. Of anybody, it should be Americans that know best not to generalize other people for this sort of thing. I think some people are posting slightly disengenuious for reasons I stated, though. But instead of coming to their defense(Polish/Europeans in general), they are just trying to 'get back' or are enjoying the attention of another country tasting the same dish we're served regularly.

could you fit any more sweeping generalizations than you just did into one post? I'm pretty sure ANY racist doesn't think they're in the wrong. location has got nothing to do with it.

There is a very distinct cultural difference concerning racism in Europe versus racism in America, and anyone who's spent time on both continents ought to have noticed it. I already specified that I'm talking about European racists so I'm not sure why you're making accusations about generalizations; it's almost like you want to pretend that Zwarte Piet doesn't exist. In Europe, racists sometimes offer the peculiar perspective that their racism isn't racism. The Spanish claim that making chinky eyed gestures in China is fine because it's "paying tribute" to the way Asians look. The Dutch suppress, with legal force, any protestations against their blackface holiday with the justification that it's fun for children.

The distinction here is one of cultural acceptance. Yes, there are certainly racists aplenty wherever you go, but in America these attitudes and behaviors are known to be shameful even by those that hold them, and those that do so anyway know that they're defying societal norms. You would never see spectators openly throwing bananas or chanting about monkeys or any of the other bizarre shit that happens at European football games.

I think the difference is probably because Europe never had the violent and bloody racial history that America has had to cope with, and so they never had the opportunity to reflect and come to terms with race relations. This shit is new for them. The problem is that instead of asking themselves the hard questions about racism in their countries, they prefer to pretend that nothing is wrong and that no discussion needs to take place.

And that troubling mindset is evident all throughout this thread.

Seanspeed

Banned
There is a very distinct cultural difference concerning racism in Europe versus racism in America, and anyone who's spent time on both continents ought to have noticed it. I already specified that I'm talking about European racists so I'm not sure why you're making accusations about generalizations; it's almost like you want to pretend that Zwarte Piet doesn't exist. In Europe, racists sometimes offer the peculiar perspective that their racism isn't racism. The Spanish claim that making chinky eyed gestures in China is fine because it's "paying tribute" to the way Asians look. The Dutch suppress, with legal force, any protestations against their blackface holiday with the justification that it's fun for children.

The distinction here is one of cultural acceptance. Yes, there are certainly racists aplenty wherever you go, but in America these attitudes are known to be shameful even by those that hold them, and those that do know that they're defying societal norms. You would never see spectators open throwing bananas or chanting about monkeys in American sports.

I think the difference may be because Europe never had the violent and bloody racial history that America has had to cope with, and so they never had the opportunity to reflect and come to terms with race relations. This shit is new for them. But instead of asking themselves, as a society, the hard questions, the preference is to pretend that nothing is wrong and that no discussion needs to take place.

And that troubling mindset is evident all throughout this thread.

I think one of the big things is that racism in American just isn't accepted, like you said. But unlike in Europe, you simply cant get away with this stuff here. Not at a major event at least. Its not about worrying about getting kicked out or anything. Its about making it out with most of your teeth still intact. Its just not socially acceptable. You'd be facing a mob of angry ass motherfuckers about to stomp you before you'd face a security guard.

Dram

I think the difference is probably because Europe never had the violent and bloody racial history that America has had to cope with, and so they never had the opportunity to reflect and come to terms with race relations. This shit is new for them. The problem is that instead of asking themselves the hard questions about racism in their countries, they prefer to pretend that nothing is wrong and that no discussion needs to take place.

I think it's more that they never had a civil rights movement on the level America did.

6,000,000 Jews dead for one.

The Germans have had this opportunity, actually, which is why you don't see them denying their massacres like the Japanese. However the self reflection has almost solely focused on the Jews. Other victims like the Roma still largely face prejudice.

Seanspeed

Banned
The Germans have had this opportunity, actually, which is why you don't see them denying their massacres like the Japanese. However it's been directed solely towards the Jews and other victims like the Roma still largely face prejudice.
You're just evading the point being made.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
6,000,000 Jews dead for one.

And thats just recent!

A lot of Americans tend to forget that racism can be more than just 'black vs white'.

No time like the present to get that civil rights movement working.

You're just evading the point being made.

I just explained why WWII is not relevant. WWII was not a racial conflict, the facists adopted their fantasy about the master race because Germany was trying to create a nation based on jus sanguinus in order to justify their initial ambitions to reclaim territory inhabited by German descendants. It was fundamentally a political issue, and the subsequent period of national reflection has benefited only one minority denomination. It does not change the fact that Europe does not have a racial history comparable to America. It's telling that you're so desperate to play "gotcha" in order to avoid actually considering the subject of racism on your continent. Anything but that!

Another case in point for contrast: The majority of major European countries have or have had leaders that condemned multiculturalism as a failure. Multiculturalism in America is a fact of life. No one with political ambition would attack it, it's simply not a matter of controversy here.

What the hell is all the semantic horse shit about?

It's clear that not every European or every football fan is a racist. Do people have to preface every statement with "a significant portion of" or "many more than appropriate, but not all" before people jump off the defensive, perpetrator supporting, coy nonsense? God damn, it doesn't matter if "everyone does it", it's a significant portion. People are no better than Platini/Blatter with this crap; not doing anything to address or even acknowledge the problem, just adding to the fucking noise.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
so...how's uefa going to ban these racist pricks from entering the stadiums hosting the euros??

Wilbur

Banned
In England alone this season there's been two high profile racism cases focusing on players where the accused has been vilified throughout the media and the public. It's obviously ridiculous to state there is no racism in England, but to say we don't combat it or take steps to do something about it is ridiculous. I think only a few weeks ago there's a law passed that you can cancel a player's contract for being racist on the grounds of gross misconduct.

Salazar

I just explained why WWII is not relevant.

If you're going to deny (for the sake of your little trolling spree) that there was an express policy of mass racial liquidation in Europe then I think the time has come for you to be moderated.

I mean, a lot of this thread has been pissant jokes, but you are out of your depth.

Slayven

I think one of the big things is that racism in American just isn't accepted, like you said. But unlike in Europe, you simply cant get away with this stuff here. Not at a major event at least. Its not about worrying about getting kicked out or anything. Its about making it out with most of your teeth still intact. Its just not socially acceptable. You'd be facing a mob of angry ass motherfuckers about to stomp you before you'd face a security guard.

That is fun to imagine.

Slayven

In England alone this season there's been two high profile racism cases focusing on players where the accused has been vilified throughout the media and the public. It's obviously ridiculous to state there is no racism in England, but to say we don't combat it or take steps to do something about it is ridiculous. I think only a few weeks ago there's a law passed that you can cancel a player's contract for being racist on the grounds of gross misconduct.
Wait FIFA doesn't have conduct or morals clauses?

While he did exaggerate, the final host reports from FIFA weren't exactly sterling for Qatar.

FIFA Bid Evaluation for Qatar
FIFA Bid Evaluation for USA
FIFA Bid Evaluation for Australia

Going by those reports, there should have been no way Qatar should have been anywhere close to Australian or American bids.
Money talks loudest.

If you're going to deny (for the sake of your little trolling spree) that there was an express policy of mass racial liquidation in Europe then I think the time has come for you to be moderated.

I mean, a lot of this thread has been pissant jokes, but you are out of your depth.

Reply to my entire post or not at all, thanks. I'm fairly sure that you're the one who's out of your depth here.

Seanspeed

Banned
I just explained why WWII is not relevant. WWII was not a racial conflict, the facists adopted their fantasy about the master race because Germany was trying to create a nation based on jus solis in order to justify their initial ambitions to reclaim territory inhabited by German descendants. It was fundamentally a political issue
So was slavery here in the States. It doesn't matter how it comes about, racism is still racism.

So was slavery here in the States. It doesn't matter how it comes about, racism is still racism.

Yet I don't see you contesting that the healing process has been different for each nation, and that the experiences (not to mention the results) are not comparable.

Wilbur

Banned
Isn't the whole point of racism that one race feels they should be dominant and are superior than another? How is WW2 exempt from this?

Isn't the whole point of racism that one race feels they should be dominant and are superior than another?

Not necessarily.

How is WW2 exempt from this?
Because, again, the result was that Germany had a long period of national reflection about its treatment of the Jews in particular. While the impact of that is undeniable, it's of little comfort to blacks, Roma, middle easterners, etc. And it's of no relevance to attitudes in other countries which view themselves as also being victims of Germany, and therefore blameless.

jtb

Banned
I just explained why WWII is not relevant. WWII was not a racial conflict, the facists adopted their fantasy about the master race because Germany was trying to create a nation based on jus sanguinus in order to justify their initial ambitions to reclaim territory inhabited by German descendants. It was fundamentally a political issue, and the subsequent period of national reflection has benefited only one minority denomination. It does not change the fact that Europe does not have a racial history comparable to America. It's telling that you're so desperate to play "gotcha" in order to avoid actually considering the subject of racism on your continent. Anything but that!

Another case in point for contrast: The majority of major European countries have or have had leaders that condemned multiculturalism as a failure. Multiculturalism in America is a fact of life. No one with political ambition would attack it, it's simply not a matter of controversy here.

and the american civil war was about "states rights". semanitcs.

Yet I don't see you contesting that the healing process has been different for each nation, and that the experiences (not to mention the results) are not comparable.

the healing process? I think to claim the country (edit: USA) has completely healed because we don't throw bananas at players is pretty reductive and very misleading.

Slayven

I blame Salt Lake City being sloppy for the US not getting anymore international sporting events. If we could still play the game like Qatar and Russia do, we would have this thing in the bag.

We do need to step our game up. The last time I felt we really put on a show was Atlanta.

Salazar

Reply to my entire post or not at all, thanks. I'm fairly sure that you're the one who's out of your depth here.

You made a dumb statement (Europe has no history of racist conflict of any great magnitude), and then doubled down on it to the point of being offensive (The Holocaust ? Not racist, and in any case able to be more or less submerged into the general body of WWII activity).

I think to claim the country (edit: USA) has completely healed because we don't throw bananas at players is pretty reductive and very misleading.

Strawman.

You made a dumb statement (Europe has no history of racist conflict of any great magnitude), and then doubled down on it to the point of being offensive (The Holocaust ? Not racist, and in any case able to be more or less submerged into the general body of WWII activity).
You're flailing around WWII at a grade school level. I'm sorry that my explanation does not fit your Manichean view of the conflict.

What would you define racism as?

Prejudice against another race. It's possible to hold assumptions that do not necessarily paint you as superior.

I just explained why WWII is not relevant. WWII was not a racial conflict, the facists adopted their fantasy about the master race because Germany was trying to create a nation based on jus solis in order to justify their initial ambitions to reclaim territory inhabited by German descendants. It was fundamentally a political issue, and the subsequent period of national reflection has benefited only one minority denomination. It has nothing to do with the fact that Europe does not have a racial history comparable to America. It's telling that you're so desperate to play "gotcha" in order to avoid actually considering the subject of racism on your continent. Anything but that!

Multiculturalism a fact of life in America? It sure isn't in the US where i am currently living. What do you mean with multiculturalism? In Europe they are talking about letting refugees into our countries, often people fleeing from your wars. Where I am from in Sweden we have whole communities formed by refugees because they want to live together. Half the immigrants coming to my past city couldn't read or write in any language. Maybe you should see this kind of humanitarian help and its consequences before you become all preachy.

What is the multiculturalism in your country? Black people who have been apart of your country for hundreds of years, or the Mexicans who migrate here and do everything in their power to create a better life for themselves. Is your multiculturalism having immigrants make your hamburgers and work on your fields?

What the hell is all the semantic horse shit about?

It's clear that not every European or every football fan is a racist. Do people have to preface every statement with "a significant portion of" or "many more than appropriate, but not all" before people jump off the defensive, perpetrator supporting, coy nonsense? God damn, it doesn't matter if "everyone does it", it's a significant portion. People are no better than Platini/Blatter with this crap; not doing anything to address or even acknowledge the problem, just adding to the fucking noise.

As someone who has gone to football matches at least 10 times a year for the last many years in Denmark, no, it's really not. There's still countries where it might be a significant portion but I've never heard any racist chants in person and whenever there has been any at other matches the idiot has usually been arrested.

I don't see anyone in here saying it's not a problem in Poland and Ukraine (and quite a few other European countries), but it's pretty silly to say European fans when there's so many places that really has no racism other than the occasional fool that will get himself arrested yelling crap. So yeah, that's probably where most people get angry when they read posts pretty much equaling the fans you see in the worst of the worst Ukraine and Poland matches to any other country and league.

jtb

Banned
Strawman.

so what's your point? what's your angle? the united states has just as strong of an undercurrent of racial tensions, exacerbated by decades of economic warfare waged against minorities (specifically the war on drugs). multicultarlism is a fact of life in america? are you fucking KIDDING me? america is segregated (self-segregated or due to policies...) and with the rise of "casual racism" and media narratives, it's pretty obvious that those tensions still exist.

i'm really missing the healing process here.

edit: and convinient, ignoring your "Manichean" view that the american civil war is a solely racial conflict of the good, liberating north vs. the evil, racist south.

Wilbur

Banned
Strawman.

You're flailing around WWII at a grade school level. I'm sorry that my explanation does not fit your Manichean view of the conflict.

Prejudice against another race. It's possible to hold assumptions that do not necessarily paint you as superior.

Why would you prejudice against a race you didn't see as inferior? If you hate black people exclusively, surely it's because you think they're lower than you and deserving of unjustified hate. I don't understand how prejudice is separate from that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom