• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSO2 PS4 Beta Details, Service Start Date Announced (Japan only)

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Edit:
Official Closed Beta Site is Live

Beta Dates (in JST):
02.25 17:00 ~ 02.25 23:00
02.27 16:00 ~ 02.27 23:00
02.28 09:00 ~ 02.28 21:00
03.01 09:00 ~ 03.01 21:00
03.03 16:00 ~ 03.04 11:00
03.04 18:00 ~ 03.06 22:00
Check bumped for converted times.

Check the bumped posed linked above to see how to get free 5k AC in the beta.

Beta codes have all been sent.

You can already download the client.

The following announcements about the PS4 version of Phantasy Star Online 2 have been made during today's livestream:
- 01.25~02.15 Closed Beta registration. Download a ticket from the PS Store to be eligible. Since there's a 50k beta user limit, invitations will be probably sent randomly.
- 02.25~03.06 Closed Beta proper. It won't be last through that whole period, so we can expect a few hour long beta windows during which the game will be playable.
Reaching levels 10, 20 and 30 will reward players with bonus items after the real service starts.
- 04.20 PS4 service start. Account and characters will be shared with other platforms. Free to download and play, won't require PS+.

The game currently doesn't have an IP block (aside from the servers being blocked by some ISPs), so that probably won't change for the PS4 version.

Of course there's no word about the Western version.

Edit:
Slides from the presentation.
4MToVzG.jpg

Wu08jkf.jpg

IRn5jnm.jpg

Sigh.

Maybe I should just give into my friend's temptation and just play the Japanese version on pc with the eng fan patch.

Man Sega why you gotta make me hate you, at least announce it's canned.

May try for a ticket for giggles.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Saddest part about waiting for the Western release is that if it happened at this point, everyone would probably be hugely disappointed by how little content it has compared to the Japanese version (assuming the most probable scenario).

Zelias

Banned
Saddest part about waiting for the Western release is that if it happened at this point, everyone would probably be hugely disappointed by how little content it has compared to the Japanese version (assuming the most probable scenario).
This. And given the F2P nature of the game, Sega probably suspect that the people most likely to bring in revenue are the hardcore import players who already have spent several years on the JP server.

It's interesting to look at the quality of the SEA translation though. Despite its quirks, it's actually kinda serviceable right up until after Episode 1, Chapter 8, at which point it swiftly goes off a cliff. The post-Elder cutscene 'End Cluster' is a good example of this, with a totally nonsensical translation that gets basic things badly wrong and misattributes pronouns all over the place. Makes me wonder if Sega had plans to localize it right up until that point, and then they dropped it and left Asiasoft to pick it up instead. Just a theory though.

Ogni-XR21

Sigh.

Maybe I should just give into my friend's temptation and just play the Japanese version on pc with the eng fan patch.

Man Sega why you gotta make me hate you, at least announce it's canned.

May try for a ticket for giggles.

IIRC Sega said that this won't be coming to the west (at least they said so for the PS4 version).

But at least we got the PSO2 anime officially in the west........which is literally just a oversize advert (the PSO2 portions of the anime are quite bad to put lightly) to promote the game we are never getting.

Freeman76

The PC version is pretty playable if any of you game on PC. I would rather have it on PS4 localised but its not happening, so the pc version with fan patch is the only way. Around 20-30% is translated and you can get the basic idea, most items are in English as well.

Its worth a shot, the game is good, pretty much makes a lot of changes we used to wish for back on PSO, the only drawback is the enemy design goes from OK to ridiculous as you get further in, and by the end it feels too jokey as you are up against walking houses and jack in the boxes with arms amongst other things.

The PC version is pretty playable if any of you game on PC. I would rather have it on PS4 localised but its not happening, so the pc version with fan patch is the only way. Around 20-30% is translated and you can get the basic idea, most items are in English as well.

Its worth a shot, the game is good, pretty much makes a lot of changes we used to wish for back on PSO, the only drawback is the enemy design goes from OK to ridiculous as you get further in, and by the end it feels too jokey as you are up against walking houses and jack in the boxes with arms amongst other things.
All of which make some sense in context.

Exodust

Banned
SEGA should take a leap of faith and bring it to the west. I mean, PS4 install basis is huge and this is F2P, right?

Sega never takes leaps of faith, and usually with good reason if we're being honest. Getting Yakuza 5 is a miracle, and it'll still probably bomb in the US like it always does.

Granted, PSO is a bigger brand and all. Nut not big enough in the west to take the risk, especially since it's been like 9 years since the last Phantasy Star game in the US and it was the misguided flop Universe. So I can't really blame them.

Eridani

Yeah, if anyone actually wants to play this game and has a PC capable of running it (doesn't take much tbh) the fan patch is a GREAT way to do it. It's insanely easy to set up. There is a program that will download everything, including the game, and set it up for you. The only tiny problem is the Japanese capcha when creating an account, but google translate makes that a non-issue.

It also translates far more than 30%. The first two (out of three, with an upcoming fourth one) episodes are pretty much completely translated. This includes the story cut scenes, optional field events, quests, enemy names and items. Parts of episode 3 are also translated. On top of that, the UI is translated, as are all the skill names and pretty much everything else relevant to the gameplay. The only important things that are missing are some item translations (not really a big deal) and some of the events and newer quests (client orders). This kinda sucks, but is really not a big deal, since you will probably be familiar enough with the game to play it at that point. I'm probably forgetting some other things that aren't translated, but I can say that I never really had much of a problem playing the game without speaking Japanese.

It's also not hard to find other English speaking people playing, and there are several decently sized fan communities out there.

Freeman76

Yeah, if anyone actually wants to play this game and has a PC capable of running it (doesn't take much tbh) the fan patch is a GREAT way to do it. It's insanely easy to set up. There is a program that will download everything, including the game, and set it up for you. The only tiny problem is the Japanese capcha when creating an account, but google translate makes that a non-issue.

It also translates far more than 30%. The first two (out of three, with an upcoming fourth one) episodes are pretty much completely translated. This includes the story cut scenes, optional field events, quests, enemy names and items. Parts of episode 3 are also translated. On top of that, the UI is translated, as are all the skill names and pretty much everything else relevant to the gameplay. The only important things that are missing are some item translations (not really a big deal) and some of the events and newer quests (client orders). This kinda sucks, but is really not a big deal, since you will probably be familiar enough with the game to play it at that point. I'm probably forgetting some other things that aren't translated, but I can say that I never really had much of a problem playing the game without speaking Japanese.

It's also not hard to find other English speaking people playing, and there are several decently sized fan communities out there.

My patch cant be updated or something then i guess, no way is more than a third of it translated, even in episode 1. Some is, some isnt. Ill check my patches again.

What? Still nothing for the West?

Fuck Sega still!

Sega never takes leaps of faith, and usually with good reason if we're being honest. Getting Yakuza 5 is a miracle, and it'll still probably bomb in the US like it always does.

Granted, PSO is a bigger brand and all. Nut not big enough in the west to take the risk, especially since it's been like 9 years since the last Phantasy Star game in the US and it was the misguided flop Universe. So I can't really blame them.

Despite Sega bringing every other version of the game to NA. PSO 1 - Dreamcast, PSO v 2 - Dreamcast, PSO Episode 1&2 - Gamecube / Xbox, PSO Blue Burst - Windows. PSO was the first game to show that MMO type games can do well on consoles and had a huge following back during the Gamecube days, I think like 500-600,000 users. For a game that was unproven back then was huge.

Sega is just being the new Sega and not giving a shit about it's NA audience. Same goes with Virtua Fighter.

Koyuga

Maybe now that it's on ps4 we can nag Sony to convince Sega to bring it over? Long shot, if not impossible, but I'm desperate at this point. I want to play this game without workarounds and translation patches!

Freeman76

Do you guys install the patches on the options screen on the tweaker as well? Im wondering why most of the quest text is still jp now

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

Correction, they took a lot of leaps of faith until it ran them into getting into trouble with their parent company since their titles weren't big sellers.

No one was buying Bayonetta 1, Valkyria Chronicles, Binary Domain, Yakuza, games, and the like, their sale numbers were all low. Gamers have no one but themselves to blame for this, risky SEGA couldn't keep itself afloat.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Can we take this to #BuildingTheList? I feel like that's our last hope lol
Maintaining an mmo includes creating a secure payment system (PS4 version is supposed to come with AC on PSN, but it would be stupid to not release the PC version), having a support staff, paying for servers, doing regular translations, testing updates for the other version etc. It's really not as easy as just translating the thing and throwing it out there.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
PS4 beta signups started today, download this from the PS Store to be eligible for the selection lottery.

Synth

I can't help but think that PSO2 threads should put the "(Japan Only)" bit first, just so that I don't have that brief split second of hope as I'm reading the thread title.

Just fucking boggles my mind that they don't do pso2 in the west.

I would lose my life and money to this, ddo, and monster hunter online.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
It's fucking clear

EVERYONE ELSE, ANYWHERE ELSE JAPAN WANT PSO2 TOO,

we have been since PSO2 was announced, so wtf..

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
I can't help but think that PSO2 threads should put the "(Japan Only)" bit first, just so that I don't have that brief split second of hope as I'm reading the thread title.

When you've been a Nintendo fan for as long as I have you get used to it.

Rising_Hei

If?
I got some...."funny" news for you then.

Lmao -_- how can this kind of thing really happen? I know translating an anime is easycake, but STILL, it feels like punching in the face those fans that have been waiting the game for AGES

SEE, EVEN FICTIONAL CHARACTERS GET TO PLAY THIS AND WE DON'T, OK.

I know that there's the option to play it in JP servers, but i don't dig it :/

Sophia

Remote Play on the PS4 version will be fantastic. All the benefits of the Vita version, with none of the drawbacks when I'm playing locally

Just fucking boggles my mind that they don't do pso2 in the west.

I would lose my life and money to this, ddo, and monster hunter online.

I've been playing PSO2 on the JP servers since near the launch, and I've probably spent near $100 on it so far. A friend helped me get premium early on, and then PSO2es opened up for westerns to easily spend moeny on the game. It's addicting precisely because there's no pay to win features, it's all crazy cosmetics and stuff. >_>;

I loved pso and pso2 is fucking awesome. Better than that psu shit we got in the west.

Gawd PSU was so bad

Yes i would Love to have PSO2 for Ps4/Vita in the west

Would be fantastic but SEGA is gonna SEGA

They wouldnt even localize it for PC...... PC people! They wont even do PSO on PC

Top Bottom