• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer review Mario Kart Wii

Rlan

Wizpig said:
mkwiibabysay8.jpg

Get ready for ****ing Baby Birdo.
That's absurd.

Where's a Goomba? I don't care if he doesn't have arms.
Where's E.Gadd?
Where's Kamek?
Where's Koopa Kids?
Where's Mouser?
Where's Wart?

dyls

slaughterking said:

One of IGN's complaints was that the boosts were weak, and hardly noticeable. I thought the boosts on those videos looked pretty standard for MK. It does sound like a lot of sites are worried that the game is too casual, but it really seems like there are plenty of opportunities to string together boosts, and that the good players will separate themselves from the bad pretty quickly.

Killadji

thumb_birdo.jpg

Shopped ?

EDIT : Okay, that's a bad photoshop job, "Baby Birdo's" kart is actually toad's kart.
Ugly as hell.

Actually, the kart is crap but the character is good job ^^

lopaz

Banned
Stormbringer said:
Glad to see that Nintendo went out to clear up at least some of the mess they created themselves...

Anyway, some more footage from Everybody's Nintendo Channel (I think we see at least one or two never seen before courses too) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb3Fs5yZqxs

Despite some refreshing additions, this still looks like the good old Mario Kart to me. Looks fucking awesome, in fact. Screw the doubters. Just screw them.

Borked battle mode doesn't bother you?

I think I'll get this only if it doesn't block freeloader.

dyls

lopaz said:
I love birdo as much as the next man, but come the fuck on, that's some grade A barrel scraping.

Makes no difference, you know that 95% of people will end up using Miis instead of the Mario characters.

Nintendo finally found something that we all love more than Mario... ourselves.

lopaz

Banned
dyls said:
Makes no difference, you know that 95% of people will end up using Miis instead of the Mario characters.

Nintendo finally found something that we all love more than Mario... ourselves.

Eh, true. I may use those Mario miis

lopaz said:
Borked battle mode doesn't bother you?
Yes, right now, of course it does. It just that it simply doesn't ruin the game entirely to me, contrarily to some here. This game looks like it has so much more to offer than that, so why would I focus so much on this that I would end up ignoring all the potential awesomeness that's crammed into this disc ?

lopaz

Banned
Stormbringer said:
Yes, right now, of course it does. It just that it simply doesn't ruin the game entirely to me, contrarily to some here. This game looks like it has so much more to offer than that, so why would I focus so much on this that I would end up ignoring all the potential awesomeness that's crammed into this disc ?

Well no need to tell us doubters to screw ourselves :( that was mean.

aeolist

Banned
I only ever played Battle Mode in the original game myself. It's good that it's there but racing is by far the biggest draw for me.

Pre-ordered from Dell on Monday for $39.

How much do you figure I could sell the cheap piece of plastic wheel accessory for on craigslist to some moron? I don't even want it to waste my storage space.

Milpool

wiistages.jpg

Wii Stages.

Is the icon next to it retro stages? Sort of looks like a Gamecube to the bottom left of the icon, though to be honest it looks more like the moon.

preordered at TRU yesterday. I like buying Nintendo games from them because Nintendo and TRU are like tight bros. There are 2 near me, one of which is impossible to get a game day 1 without preorder, and one that gets an insane amount of overstock making preorders unnecessary. This is the one I get mine from anyways though.

kottila

Milpool said:
wiistages.jpg

Wii Stages.

Is the icon next to it retro stages? Sort of looks like a Gamecube to the bottom left of the icon, though to be honest it looks more like the moon.

Downloaded stages! (From the moon?!)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Milpool said:

looks like a Gamecube, n64, snes, etc. all warped in a bubble.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Add another 9/10 to Mario Kart, from gamesradar. They say they really like the wheel (Joypad did too) and the online mode is the way to play this game (offline multiplayer mode slows down too much).

marc^o^ said:
Add another 9/10 to Mario Kart, from gamesradar. They say they really like the wheel (Joypad did too) and the online mode is the way to play this game (offline multiplayer mode slows down too much).

"As an online Wii experience it shames its rivals. Smash Bros. may offer a cavalcade of online modes, but it’s crudely handled. Press a button and you play Smash Bros. online. Caveman basic. Mario Kart is a crafted online experience designed to develop a community. From the immensely slick and welcoming lobby system to the special Mario Kart Channel installed on the Wii menu, everything about it drips thoughtfulness. It’s the first online Wii title where you feel like you’re developing a competitive online profile and not just accessing a rubbish database that only records how many games you’ve won (ahem, Mario Strikers Charged and Pokémon Battle Revolution). This is an instant, ever-evolving online contest. And online, 12-kart races finally make sense. Humiliating 11 AI karts is nothing like racing 11 human minds. The barmy chaos of the lower ranks that you’re denied by the ease of single-player? Not an issue here. Not to mention the 12-player takes on other modes. Balloon Battle is now a team effort - four gangs of three working to burst as many as possible. The Grand Prix can be raced as a team, you and friends clubbing together to ensure you all place higher than rival members.

Mad. Ridiculous. But all in the spirit of fun."

OMFG OMFG UNF UNF FAP FAP

Anasui Kishibe said:
"As an online Wii experience it shames its rivals. Smash Bros. may offer a cavalcade of online modes, but it’s crudely handled. Press a button and you play Smash Bros. online. Caveman basic. Mario Kart is a crafted online experience designed to develop a community. From the immensely slick and welcoming lobby system to the special Mario Kart Channel installed on the Wii menu, everything about it drips thoughtfulness. It’s the first online Wii title where you feel like you’re developing a competitive online profile and not just accessing a rubbish database that only records how many games you’ve won (ahem, Mario Strikers Charged and Pokémon Battle Revolution). This is an instant, ever-evolving online contest. And online, 12-kart races finally make sense. Humiliating 11 AI karts is nothing like racing 11 human minds. The barmy chaos of the lower ranks that you’re denied by the ease of single-player? Not an issue here. Not to mention the 12-player takes on other modes. Balloon Battle is now a team effort - four gangs of three working to burst as many as possible. The Grand Prix can be raced as a team, you and friends clubbing together to ensure you all place higher than rival members.

and just a few short weeks ago we were all lamenting how basic everything in the game seemed compared to Brawl.

Anasui Kishibe said:

Nintendo can do online !

Now i can't wait for all you GAF MK diehards to show us who really is the best without all the stupid snaking morons! I eagerly await April 11th!

seriously, that part of the review excited me to no end. I was pumped, but now I'm totally crazy about it; looking forward to race against 11 human enemies with my trusted Luigi, and it will be the best thing ever

EVER

Proven

ScrabbleBanshee said:
Pre-ordered from Dell on Monday for $39.

How much do you figure I could sell the cheap piece of plastic wheel accessory for on craigslist to some moron? I don't even want it to waste my storage space.

Moron huh? I'll give you 5 bucks for it.

Edit: Reading the gamesradar review...

Games Radar review for Mario Kart Wii said:
Then there are bikes. Four wheels good, two wheels bad? When we hopped on Peach’s scooter for the first time we thought Nintendo had seriously messed up. Steering a bike with the wheel was horribly unnatural, the rotation motion completely at odds with the handlebar twist you’d expect from a bike. Squeeze the waggle stick out of the shell and the problem is solved.

You're doing it wrong.

lopaz

Banned
plagiarize said:
and just a few short weeks ago we were all lamenting how basic everything in the game seemed compared to Brawl.

It's odd that they included team battles under a list of positives, but otherwise sounds rad-core

Davidion

Anasui Kishibe said:

!!!!!

Devastatingly sexy

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
This is goingto be HOOOT.

My stupid flatmates are all 'huh, mario kart? Let's play more wii sports golf'

Idiots. I'm going to have to buy steering wheels before they will play it.

marc^o^

Some friends of mine also play Wii Sports Golf each time we meet. They are real casual gamers, yet they play this game like gods 0_o
Back to Mario Kart Wii, I'm sure the great DS version, the wheel, and the strong advertising media plan are going to make it sell millions in April. Perfect timing to prepare the WiiFit invasion and to get GTA4 some competition.

marc^o^ said:
Back to Mario Kart Wii, I'm sure the great DS version, the wheel, and the strong advertising media plan are going to make it sell millions in April. Perfect timing to prepare the WiiFit invasion and to get GTA4 some competition.

Whoever thought of releasing WiiFit along GTA4 is genius...

I can imagine how the media will handle this, it will be all about

GTA4 "the murder simulator"

vs

WiiFiit "the game that wants to make you exercise"

I dunno who will sell more, but i know who already won the PR war.

On the other hand i already preordered my copy of MKWII and im dying to play it. I believe its going to be very big. I have seen lots of people playing it on their DS on the streets.

marc^o^

Starchasing said:
Whoever thought of releasing WiiFit along GTA4 is genius...

I can imagine how the media will handle this, it will be all about

GTA4 "the murder simulator"

vs

WiiFiit "the game that wants to make you exercise"
Perfectly true, these 2 mass market games couldn't be more polarized. I know I will get both, but it will be fun to observe which of the two casual gamers will pick.

marc^o^ said:
Perfectly true, these 2 mass market games couldn't be more polarized. I know I will get both, but it will be fun to observe which of the two casual gamers will pick.

I just hope MKWII doesnt get crushed in the middle, but im sure it will have long long legs. Also MKWii is the perfect place for Wii. Lots of people who enjoy WiiSports will surely enjoy MKWII and lots will buy it since they more than probably have been exposed to it thanks to the massive succes of MKDS.

edit:lol

Cynar

I'm so disappointed about the removal of key features like 2 player co-op gp but I still sadly want it. Help! I'm part of the problem!

No FFA balloon battle makes me sad panda, but I'm still excited.

It wouldn't have been nearly the same anyway with the removal of the permadeath / turn into bomb mechanic.

crispyben

I don't know if that's been confirmed already, but the French Official Nintendo Magazine has a picture of four-color quarter maze map from SMK for the balloon fight in MKWii...

Top Bottom