• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer review Mario Kart Wii

jts

...hate me...
Amir0x said:
Nice. Like Nintendo's trend of doing this in many of its major titles. Give me options. I want to use Gamecube controller when I can, so good!
In fact, after SMG, i wonder if Nintendo is starting to drop the novelty effect of waggle and saying developers that is OK to make games which controls can by perfectly mimicked by traditional controllers.

What i mean is: yeah, aside from the starbits and co-op minor things, SMG could be played with a GC controller and yet they didn't give that option, and prefered keeping those things in the game.
However, Mario Kart could also have taken advantage of the Wiimote, imagine pointing the shells or something with the pointer. I say it could be awesome for battle mode. But it wouldn't allow several types of control like it does.

Huhh i lost my point meanwhile. Whatever.

mio said:
In fact, after SMG, i wonder if Nintendo is starting to drop the novelty effect of waggle and saying developers that is OK to make games which controls can by perfectly mimicked by traditional controllers.

I hope not. The Wiimote is a beautiful piece of technology; they should continue to encourage it being maximized as often as possible. It's what Wii is all about, there's simply no reason to abandon that.

Granted, there are franchises in which it makes sense to offer multiple control options (such as MK and Smash), but I doubt it'll become the norm. It'd be a damn shame if it did.

Gigglepoo

EphemeralDream said:
It would be nice to get Super Mario Kart on VC in the weeks leading up to this game's release. I'm having trouble getting hyped based on what we know about the game now.

They better make it online!

mio said:

I don't think that is the case. From memory pretty much all the successful third party titles on the Wii have been designed for the Wiimote in mind and that in part is what makes them popular for the Wii.

mio said:
What i mean is: yeah, aside from the starbits and co-op minor things, SMG could be played with a GC controller and yet they didn't give that option, and prefered keeping those things in the game.
However, Mario Kart could also have taken advantage of the Wiimote, imagine pointing the shells or something with the pointer. I say it could be awesome for battle mode. But it wouldn't allow several types of control like it does.

Nintendo's main titles like Smash Bros and Mario Kart are hardcore competitive titles that were designed around older control methods and likewise fans of those games were brought up to use those methods with those type of games. Any deviation from those older control method as an option and the core fans would reject the games.

SMG and Metroid Prime 3 are probably titles that meant to introduce and sell the idea of the Wiimote to the traditional Nintendo gamer. Hence the lack of classic/gamecube controller support.

broadwayrock said:
SMG and Metroid Prime 3 are probably titles that meant to introduce and sell the idea of the Wiimote to the traditional Nintendo gamer. Hence the lack of classic/gamecube controller support.

And they did a great job, what with MP3 having some of the finest FPS controls on a console ever (THE finest, I'd argue), and SMG used a perfect amount of additional Wiimote flavor (just enough to add to the experience and make it a bit more interesting, not enough to totally change the core mechanics of the game).

JJConrad

Sucks at viral marketing
tim1138 said:
I agree, the newest NP has a feature on MKWii and it mentions 2 player GP as in.
These are their words regarding Game Modes:
Nintendo Power April 2008 v227 p. 40 said:
Mario Kart includes the series' usual modes: Grand Prix (1 or 2 players), Battle (1-4 players), Time Trials, and Vs. (2-4 players). Using Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection, players race online and challenge each other's ghost data in Time Trials to see who can set record times. Battle mode consists of the classic Balloon Battle game (in which you chase down your opponenets and pop their balloons with items) and Coin Runner (where the team that collects the most coins wins). Both games are played with two six-man teams, with the CPU filling in for non-player characters (a nice touch: dropped items won't affect fellow team members). The DS's Mission mode doesn't return.
And then this regarding Battlemodes:
Nintendo Power April 2008 v227 p. 44 said:
There are two Battle Mode games this time: Balloon Battle and Coin Runners. Losing three balloons doesn't knock out of competition like before; you can reappear and fight until time runs out. Coin Runners in won by the team that simply collects the tallest stack of coins.

They don't really spend too many words on the online portion of the game. It's most ly about the new controls and the bikes.

Does anyone know if you can use the DPAD on the classic controller to control the kart ?

Also does Wii Wjeel come with the game in Europe?

Haunted

Mike Works said:
man, we need some solid confirmation/proof that 2 player GP does or does not exist

that would honestly be the biggest fucking omission in the history of god damn videogames
QFT

That Nintendo Power excerpt does raise my hopes, but Eurogamer is generally a trustworthy source as well.

I just want confirmation if 2P offline GP is still in or not.

Proven

Lobster said:
Didn't we see before 4 player Grand Prix?

The only thing that's confirmed is that you can finally have CPU players in VS. mode, so you can have the four of you racing on any track and still have computers instead of being by yourselves.

Edit:

The Japanese site is great. They have a whole section with videos showing you how the game works with someone demonstrating with the wii wheel. It's on the second tab, if this link doesn't work:

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rmcj/handle/index.html

(Correction: Since this review was published, Nintendo has informed Eurogamer that it is possible to play sequences of four races with friends both offline and online. Offline, you can choose to select a race each time, randomise, or play in order - effectively allowing you to play through a regular GP if you select the usual first track. Online, racing with Friends, each player can select a track from those available on their save file. This clearly contradicts our observations of the review code and we apologise for the error. After discussion we feel the score below still fits the game.)

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
great news! Fuck me for even paying attention to an IGN observation... again.

farnham

Banned
IGN was never really high on Mariokart

sure the handheld ones were always rated high..

but 64 and Double Dash got lower scores then they deserved...

ziran

wackojackosnose said:
(Correction: Since this review was published, Nintendo has informed Eurogamer that it is possible to play sequences of four races with friends both offline and online. Offline, you can choose to select a race each time, randomise, or play in order - effectively allowing you to play through a regular GP if you select the usual first track. Online, racing with Friends, each player can select a track from those available on their save file. This clearly contradicts our observations of the review code and we apologise for the error. After discussion we feel the score below still fits the game.)
Thank fuck for that! :D

The lack of free for all in battle mode is still bizarre, but the idea of not being able to race a 4 track GP local multiplayer would've been really bad.

So I wonder what it was, review code missing the feature or a Eurogamer fuck up?

wackojackosnose said:
great to get that confirmation.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
wackojackosnose said:
Oops, I take my anger back. Moreso since I read the french magazine "Joypad" review: 18/20. They say this game is a drug, best mario kart ever.

Haunted

clap.gif

2340611683_1b3f7cae6f_o.gif

128fs3512924.gif

nightsremote.gif

Haunted

SuperAndroid17 said:
Im lost... what does this mean?

Can I play splitscreen online now?
Yes, you can.

Although my happy .gif post was to do with the confirmation that Offline 2P GP is still in.

I wonder if teams/no-teams is an online option as well. Wouldn't surprise me.

In any case, perhaps this thread should be updated or a new one posted with the NP info and Eurogamer update. There were some people swearing off the game based on this apparent omissions...

now we know those things are in the final version, good news all round!

Discipulus

Neo Member
Is the Rainbow Road in MK Wii based on levels from Super Mario Galaxy?

I think, I've read that before, but i'm not sure if that was true.

Flakster99

wackojackosnose said:

Excellent news!

Ramenman said:
man, stop this, I don't have enough money :(

Tell me about it. Jesus Christ, I'm incredibly excited for Mario Kart Wii. :D

I'm glad that MKWii resembles DS more than Double Dash.

wackojackosnose said:

Praise be to Allah!

dyls

wackojackosnose said:

Great news, although it's odd they wouldn't just include 2-player GP right in the GP menu. Considering the bevy of stats collected I assume it will keep a running tally of the total of all the races rather than reset after each race. The really nice thing is that you'll be able to play custom GPs, choosing 4 (or more?) of the best tracks rather than being locked into the normal progression.

Interest re-rising... (for the 15th time)

Proven

wackojackosnose said:

Guys, this doesn't confirm much.

Play in order won't really be like a GP for me unless it rates both you and the computer in the same style as if you were playing GP. If it doesn't, and only tells you how many times you've come in first or something, then it might as well be four player split screen with computers, with you manually choosing the next track each time, which we already knew was in the game. All play in order does is streamline the experience.

What I'm still concerned about is whether or not you can play 2 player GP to unlock things. We've already known that VS. let's you have CPUs on the track. Now tell us if there's a mode that's the same thing except it allows us to unlock stuff.

I may be being picky, as I still haven't decided whether or not this'll be the deal breaker for me, but come on.

meppi

marc^o^ said:
Oops, I take my anger back. Moreso since I read the french magazine "Joypad" review: 18/20. They say this game is a drug, best mario kart ever.

Figures...

After so many years I finally decide to not renew my subscription and the month thereafter they finally have something worth reading again. :-/

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
Proven said:

it confirms that they and IGN didn't have their info straight to begin with... that's good enough for me to just assume our previous info and what NP says is most likely correct.

But I agree, I want a podium after a GP race.

later

Nintendo needs to learn to give more previews to game magazines and such so that they can at least get some feedback from those.

Proven said:

Play in order won't really be like a GP for me unless it rates both you and the computer in the same style as if you were playing GP. If it doesn't, and only tells you how many times you've come in first or something, then it might as well be four player split screen with computers, with you manually choosing the next track each time, which we already knew was in the game. All play in order does is streamline the experience.

What I'm still concerned about is whether or not you can play 2 player GP to unlock things. We've already known that VS. let's you have CPUs on the track. Now tell us if there's a mode that's the same thing except it allows us to unlock stuff.

I may be being picky, as I still haven't decided whether or not this'll be the deal breaker for me, but come on.
Why wouldn't it rate all the stages if you make a 4 stage race? Otherwise there would be no point at all. I don't think we'll get a winning celebration though - but that's something I can live without, likewise I'm not bitter about (probably) not being able to unlock stuff in 2P mode.

dyls

Proven said:

We already know this game keeps incredibly detailed stats. I don't see why it wouldn't tell you everything you'd want to know about each race, all the races combined, all races you've ever raced against friends combined, etc.

As far as unlocking stuff, that is a big question. Hopefully they'll go the Smash Bros. route and have multiple ways to unlock things. And please let us unlock things through online play, Nintendo. That's the only gripe I have with SSSBB—after almost 30 hours of play I had unlocked basically nothing because most of the time was spent online.

But still, custom GPs? Sounds like a great idea to me.

zigg

mio said:

Did you miss the bubble stages, sticky stretchy launchers, and pull stars? (I wonder if there's more that I've forgotten about, actually...) Star bits were probably the least important reason for Galaxy to need the Remote.

MK, on the other hand, seems to have been constructed with the Wheel/Remote as an alternate control scheme. It's a whole different ballgame.

There are two Battle Mode games this time: Balloon Battle and Coin Runners. Losing three balloons doesn't knock out of competition like before; you can reappear and fight until time runs out. Coin Runners in won by the team that simply collects the tallest stack of coins.

This will absolutely ruin balloon battle. There better be a stock option.

Proven

Phife Dawg said:
Why wouldn't it rate all the stages if you make a 4 stage race? Otherwise there would be no point at all. I don't think we'll get a winning celebration though - but that's something I can live without, likewise I'm not bitter about (probably) not being able to unlock stuff in 2P mode.

Yes, MK DS says I shouldn't worry, but with IGN crying doom and gloom I want to stay cautious.

ProfessorLobo said:
This will absolutely ruin balloon battle. There better be a stock option.

From what I've seen in videos, it looks like they want to change balloon battle into more of a points based game, rather than a survival game, with an instant win if you manage to knock off all the balloons of the other team.

Wizpig

beelzebozo said:
still a month for this in the u.s.

christ, i'm dying.
And you're whining* for that, when Europeans don't even have a month for Brawl.

*i know you are not, it's just a premise for MY whining

Glad to see that Nintendo went out to clear up at least some of the mess they created themselves...

Anyway, some more footage from Everybody's Nintendo Channel (I think we see at least one or two never seen before courses too) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cb3Fs5yZqxs

Despite some refreshing additions, this still looks like the good old Mario Kart to me. Looks fucking awesome, in fact. Screw the doubters. Just screw them.

[edit] Alternatively, better quality :

http://www.gametrailers.com/player/32300.html

Wizpig

lopaz said:
I love birdo as much as the next man, but come the fuck on, that's some grade A barrel scraping.
I hate Birdo in the first place, so... not my problem.
[or maybe yes, but i don't care]

Top Bottom