• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurogamer review Mario Kart Wii

Christine

Toy Soldier said:
No...false.

AdmiralViscen is right. Games have already proven that tilt racing works despite the lack of tangible resistance...mainly because all it takes is a few laps of playing these games to naturally determine where your wrists are tilted when you've reached your maximum turning positions. Once you've learned the proper responsiveness and your tilt sensitively, tilt steering can be fantastic...not to mention obviously being a ton of fun. And it's a surprisingly easy learning curve, really a total breeze.

Yep. One GAFfer (forget his name) has a physical disability and plays EXCITE TRUCK quite competently with one hand. If you can't do it with two, that's your own malfunction.

Gigglepoo said:
I gave Excite Truck a very positive review.

I think some people dug MotorStorm as well.

Meh, that's all from unreasonable motion control evangelicals. Motorstorm was unplayable with motion controls. True story.

Gigglepoo

AltogetherAndrews said:
Meh, that's all from unreasonable motion control evangelicals. Motorstorm was unplayable with motion controls. True story.

I hate MotorStorm (I downloaded the demo and was bored before the first race ended) but Excite Truck was fun because of the controls. I'm not the biggest fan of motion or pointing controls, but ET was still really impressive.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
I thought Motorstorm felt good with tilt controls on bikes, I should try some more of that, I stuck with stick controls for the most part. Sixaxis works great for Warhawk I think.

herod

I may mellow - does anyone know if any tracks are locked out of multi until they've been 'won' in single player GP?

Proven

herod said:
I may mellow - does anyone know if any tracks are locked out of multi until they've been 'won' in single player GP?

Probably fucking not. It's been a mainstay in every game, console and portable iterations, for the final cup, or the last two cups, to be locked.

Then again, unless Nintendo Power is my savior, they took out 2p offline grand-prix, so fuck them unless it's in.

But as someone else said, we only get one Mario Kart per system. I'll either end up buying this or start visiting friends more often rather than have them come over. Or steal their memory data. Either way, this won't be day 1 for me until this is cleared up towards the positive. I don't even care about team play battle mode as I'm crazy and actually prefer it that way along with playing with more than four people, even if it takes CPU padding.

NeonZ

No local multiplayer GP is disappointing, but I feel that the optional CPÙs in VS more than make up for that. The CPUs were basically the only reason I used multiplayer GP in the previous Mario Karts, but now that isn't necessary.

The only real problem is that it won't be possible to unlock anything in the multiplayer, but that isn't too bad.

levious

Proven said:
Probably fucking not. It's been a mainstay in every game, console and portable iterations, for the final cup, or the last two cups, to be locked.

I thought in mario kart 64 the only thing you unlock are the different cc classes?

Gigglepoo

Kabuki Waq said:
err ok. :lol

I freelance for a site you know and run the video game section of a site you've never heard of, but I'd rather hide behind my Raptor Rex avatar and incredibly meaningful name. :D

levious

that'd be an awesome tag line for a website, "the site you don't know"

zigg

Seconding the Excite Truck love here, I gave it an awesome review (albeit quite late) as well.

Considering that I know how motion-control racing should be done, I'm very, very apprehensive about how it sounds Mario Kart Wii is doing it.

Gigglepoo

levious said:
that'd be an awesome tag line for a website, "the site you don't know"

Ha! My boss would be angry if he knew I wasn't pimping his baby right now. But then I'd be a dirty viral marketer.

This thread is about the co-op travesty of Mario Kart Wii! We cannot stand for this injustice! Also, is Koopa Troopa in the game? Because if he is left out again...

levious

it could turn out to be the travesty that wasn't. Which would be hilarious and make me feel stupid for giving a crap about something IGN said... again.

Davidion

Motion sensor driving using the wii remote works great for Excite Truck. If you think it doesn't, then you've either never played ET or you suck at the game. Such controls would work equally well for MK or quite frankly, all other driving games out there if the implementation was done right.

The only real concern is the lack of modes that people are talking about. MK needs more modes, it's a part of its charm.

Gigglepoo

levious said:
it could turn out to be the travesty that wasn't. Which would be hilarious and make me feel stupid for giving a crap about something IGN said... again.

I'm also really hesitant to believe they took it out. I'm not sure if it's my own delusion or my general mistrust, but I need some serious confirmation before I'll believe this crap.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
No 2p Local Gp? I'll believe it when I see it, but if I do see that its not in the game then don't come near me because I'm likely to kill someone.

Tanned Greyface said:
Is the wheel used for the motorbikes as well?

Yep, tilt steering is universal for all vehicles, though obviously the bikes handle differently, so you'll have to adjust your steering accordingly (be it via the Wheel, the Wiimote, or a traditional analog stick).

egocrata

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
its funny how tools dont read the complaints and like to just ride the nostalgia train.

Yaaaaaay! Let's complaint about issues of a game no one has played yet, issues that according to several articles (NP) they are not there!

Blackhead

Redarse
Toy Soldier said:
Yep, tilt steering is universal for all vehicles, though obviously the bikes handle differently, so you'll have to adjust your steering accordingly (be it via the Wheel, the Wiimote, or a traditional analog stick).

Are there videos of people as they play the game?

egocrata said:
Yaaaaaay! Let's complaint about issues of a game no one has played yet, issues that according to several articles (NP) they are not there!

no lets give games free passes without playing it!

talking head said:
so does the game only come with one plastic wheel? will they be sold separately, and for how much?
Here in Europe it's sold seperately for a price of 9,99€ iirc (just under 10€ for sure).

Shiggy

talking head said:
so does the game only come with one plastic wheel? will they be sold separately, and for how much?

Yes, there will be only one Wii wheel included with the game. You might want to buy an additional one for EUR/USD 9.99.

andthebeatgoeson

Reggie needs to clone himself and make the clone adept at online infrastructure. WTF is with Nintendo? They need another guy like Reggie in the online department that can change the companies direction. Maybe like a mini-japaneses-Reggie who kicks ass online.

I say this because I give Reggie the credit with the improvements in marketing by NOA. And the companies online direction is dysfunctional. They need someone to tell them how to make online games. They just seem confused.

man, we need some solid confirmation/proof that 2 player GP does or does not exist

that would honestly be the biggest fucking omission in the history of god damn videogames

Lobster

Banned
Mike Works said:
man, we need some solid confirmation/proof that 2 player GP does or does not exist

that would honestly be the biggest fucking omission in the history of god damn videogames

Didn't we see before 4 player Grand Prix?

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
I can't believe this comes out 2 days before GTA IV. That's almost criminal.

Lobster said:
Didn't we see before 4 player Grand Prix?
i do remember reading that. but now we're reading that there isn't even 2 player GP. which would just be simply ridiculous.

i just want confirmation.

Tenbatsu

grounded_dreams said:
Can anyone tranlate the Q&A on the site:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wii/rmcj/q_and_a/index.html

Can convert it with a translator site because its using adobe flash.

1. What do you need to play Mario Kart Wii?
- Wii console, Mario Kart Wii Software. Multiplayers you will need multiple controllers.

2. Are you able to get the Wii handle seperately?
- Yes, available from Apr 10th 08 at 1200yen.

3. Is the game only playable with the Wii Handle?
- No, you can also use the Wii remote, GC controller, Classic, Nunchuk + Wiimote too.

4. What is the max amount of players?
- 4 offline, 2 online.

5. What do you need to enjoy Nintendo Wi Fi connection?
- Connect your Wii to the net.

6. Similar as Q.5.

Lobster

Banned
Tenbatsu said:
1. What do you need to play Mario Kart Wii?
- Wii console, Mario Kart Wii Software. Multiplayers you will need multiple controllers.

2. Are you able to get the Wii handle seperately?
- Yes, available from Apr 10th 08 at 1200yen.

- No, you can also use the Wii remote, GC controller, Classic, Nunchuk + Wiimote too.

4. What is the max amount of players?
- 4 offline, 2 online.

5. What do you need to enjoy Nintendo Wi Fi connection?
- Connect your Wii to the net.

6. Similar as Q.5.

Wait what?

2 people online on the same console?

Please don't be a mistranslation..Please don't be a mistranslation..Please don't be a mistranslation..

Shiggy

Lobster said:
Wait what?

2 people online on the same console?

Please don't be a mistranslation..Please don't be a mistranslation..Please don't be a mistranslation..

It was already confirmed ;)

Amir0x

Banned
Tenbatsu said:

Nice. Like Nintendo's trend of doing this in many of its major titles. Give me options. I want to use Gamecube controller when I can, so good!

It would be nice to get Super Mario Kart on VC in the weeks leading up to this game's release. I'm having trouble getting hyped based on what we know about the game now.

EphemeralDream said:
It would be nice to get Super Mario Kart on VC in the weeks leading up to this game's release. I'm having trouble getting hyped based on what we know about the game now.

I'd say that's almost a certainty.

Jaded Alyx said:
I'd say that's almost a certainty.
Not quite. Nintendo has yet to upload any SNES games that utilized special chips (in Super Mario Kart's case, the DSP-1) although one looks to be on the way (Kirby's Dreamland 3). Besides Nintendo might hurt sales of MK Wii being that SMK's awesomeness is not bound by space and time.

Top Bottom