• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yeah baby! AVATAR is officially getting an IMAX release!

Status
Not open for further replies.
jamescameron.jpg

LOS ANGELES, Nov. 6 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ - IMAX Corporation (NASDAQ: IMAX; TSX: IMX) and Twentieth Century Fox today announced that they have reached agreement on material terms to release the highly anticipated 3D motion picture Avatar in IMAX(R)3D simultaneously with the motion picture's premiere in conventional 3D theatres on December 18, 2009. Avatar is directed and written by Academy Award Winner James Cameron and stars Sam Worthington, Zoe Saldana, Stephen Lang, Michelle Rodriguez and Sigourney Weaver. Cameron will also produce with his Lightstorm Entertainment partner, Jon Landau. Avatar will be digitally re-mastered into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience(R).

"Our goal with Avatar is to revolutionize live-action 3D moviemaking, and I have no doubt that it will look and sound incredible in IMAX 3D," said director James Cameron. "The larger field of view and powerful surround sound of an IMAX(R) theatre will completely immerse the audience in a way that cannot be experienced anywhere else."

"We are delighted to be releasing Avatar in all available theatrical formats, and by including the premium IMAX 3D format, we can give consumers the entire spectrum of choice at the box office," said Bruce Snyder, President, Domestic Distribution, Twentieth Century Fox. "The IMAX theatre network is increasingly becoming an important part of our distribution strategy, as it continues to expand with its new digital projection system."

"Avatar is one of the most anticipated movies of 2009 and it is a powerful addition to our film slate," said IMAX Co-CEO's Richard L. Gelfond and Bradley J. Wechsler. "We are particularly pleased with Twentieth Century Fox's increasing interest in the IMAX theatre network, which is largely fueled by the rollout of our digital projection systems and IMAX's track record of strong box office performance."

"James Cameron is a genius filmmaker. His vision and 3D expertise make Avatar a natural fit for IMAX and we believe it will resonate with our audiences as well as the millions of James Cameron fans across the globe," added Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment. "Every aspect of this film was meticulously designed for 3D, so when audiences experience this revolutionary film in an IMAX 3D theatre, they will feel as if they are actually IN the movie.

Avatar is the story of an ex-Marine who finds himself thrust into hostilities on an alien planet filled with exotic life forms. As an Avatar, a human mind in an alien body, he finds himself torn between two worlds, in a desperate fight for his own survival and that of the indigenous people. More than ten years in the making, Avatar marks Cameron's return to feature directing since helming 1997's Titanic, the highest grossing film of all time and winner of eleven Oscars(R) including Best Picture. WETA Digital, renowned for its work in The Lord of the Rings Trilogy and King Kong, will incorporate new intuitive CGI technologies to transform the environments and characters into photorealistic 3D imagery that will transport the audience into the alien world rich with imaginative vistas, creatures and characters.

About IMAX Corporation

IMAX Corporation is one of the world's leading entertainment technology companies, specializing in immersive motion picture technologies. The worldwide IMAX network is among the most important and successful theatrical distribution platforms for major event Hollywood films around the globe, with IMAX theatres delivering the world's best movie presentations using proprietary IMAX, IMAX 3D, and IMAX DMR(R), technology. IMAX DMR is the Company's groundbreaking digital re-mastering technology that allows it to digitally transform virtually any conventional motion picture into the unparalleled image and sound quality of The IMAX Experience. IMAX's renowned projectors display crystal-clear images on the world's biggest screens, and the IMAX brand is recognized throughout the world for extraordinary and immersive entertainment experiences for consumers. As of September 30, 2008, there were 320 IMAX theatres operating in 42 countries.

IMAX(R), IMAX(R) 3D, IMAX DM(R), IMAX(R) MPX(R), and The IMAX Experience(R) are trademarks of IMAX Corporation. More information on the Company can be found at www.imax.com.

This press release contains forward looking statements that are based on management's assumptions and existing information and involve certain risks and uncertainties which could cause actual results to differ materially from future results expressed or implied by such forward looking statements. Important factors that could affect these statements include ongoing discussions with the SEC and OSC relating to their ongoing inquiries and the Company's accounting, the performance of films, the signing of theatre system agreements, the viability of new technologies, businesses and products, the timing of theatre system deliveries, the mix of theatre systems shipped, the timing of the recognition of revenues and expenses on film production and distribution agreements, risks arising from potential material weaknesses in internal control over financial reporting and fluctuations in foreign currency and in the large format, general commercial exhibition and out-of-home entertainment markets. These factors and other risks and uncertainties are discussed in the Company's most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K and most recent Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q.

http://au.sys-con.com/node/737829

I had been hoping for this announcement for a long long time. Now the experience will be truly epic. I mean let's face it, James Cameron and IMAX just makes sense.

I'm obviously not as up do date on movie production developments as you are, so it surprises me that you seem surprised. Was there ever a chance of this not happening?

Ceres

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
...didn't you just make an official Avatar thread?

He was laughed at by mods because the movie is so far away and it was renamed to "I'm bored, so let's talk about James Cameron's Avatar"

madara

Uhmm isnt this the only way to view this movie properly so why the surprise? I figured I still have to drive 2hrs to even be able to view this thing right.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
mmmm, there can not be enough avatar threads.

DJ_Tet

Banned
It's a good thing accusing people of viral marketing is a bannable offense here.

Otherwise I'd be tempted.

I've seen nothing to make the movie in any way exciting. Certainly not worthly of ALL THESE SAD THREADS.

Prove me wrong, Cameron.

Hey, I tried to make an official thread at the request of other users, but people didn't seem to like that idea. And yes, whilst there are a lot of threads you might notice the long time period that they've come up over.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Scullibundo said:
Hey, I tried to make an official thread at the request of other users, but people didn't seem to like that idea. And yes, whilst there are a lot of threads you might notice the long time period that they've come up over.

You could always just use one thread for any and all news until release, like the Dragon Ball movie thread.

Count Dookkake said:
Where's that trailer?

There shouldn't be another Avatar thread until a trailer is released.

This is like making Detox threads despite the fact that no official songs from the album have been released

Scullibundo said:
Exactly what I tried to do.

Alright. Time to stick to this thread. No need to give it an "Official Avatar Thread!" for official threads are disliked if created 2 weeks before it's release. For movies, "Rottenwatch: Avatar" takes the shape of an official thread, from what I've seen.

I try to bump the old "Watchmen trailer" thread from time to time without creating a new one and it works like a charm.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
... why do people care about non-IMAX films being released on IMAX screens? So silly.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Scullibundo said:
You wouldn't go see something like RotK if it had been announced for an IMAX released?
Sitting through ROTK in a normal theater was painful enough...

But really, no. I've only seen one non-IMAX movie on IMAX and that was I Am Legend just to see the Dark Knight proloque, and it was an all-around stupid experience. The sheer size of the screen rendered cinematic composition a moot art, and that is a terrible, terrible thing.

And if it were at one of those fake IMAX screens, you know, the ones that are IMAX only because of the projector and not because of the theater, it'd be the same damn thing as a regular theater, just more expensive.

IMAX is cool when the nature of the filming and subject lend themselves to getting lost in the screen, and when the super high resolution yields amazing details in nature. Otherwise, hell no. In my mind the conversion process is somewhat less retarded than colorization, but retarded nonetheless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom