• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone pick up that Messiah Generation Nex ?

You know, that sleek little redesigned NES/Famicom? IGN gave it glowing reviews, and I was wondering if anyone here has bought one?

I'm thinking about it as my NES is a little worse for wear, and I have a shit ton of games. Nothing beats those 8 bit sports titles IMO. (Ice Hockey, Double Dribble, Tecmo Super Bowl and Excite Bike) Now if I could only find a cheap copy of Dusty Diamonds All-Sar Softball....

Well their website shows all of the working/non-working/buggy games. Most of them work, I think it was like 750 games out of 780 tested.

I've had one for a while now with the wireless controllers. I have not had any issues with the little guy. Truth of the matter is that I enjoy showing it off more than I do playing it. The Nex looks precious sitting next to the 360, and ends up getting more requests for a test drive.

Un4

BobJustBob said:
Ha, I thought this was about some remake GOTY version of the game Messiah. I was excited for a minute. :/
Same here.. damn that was an awesome game.

Old thread I know, but just wanted to add some new thoughts. I got a new 72-pin connector for my old NES at estarland, wasn't hard to put in, and it's like having a nearly new system. Everything is working great now, no blinking lights, plus full compatibility of course. Someone on this board recommended it to me, and it's definitely worth it for ten dollars.

I would highly, highly recommend doing this over getting a NEX if you have an old, slightly wonky NES. I regret getting the NEX now, because the quality isn't great and this is better, although I guess it's alright as a backup.

Weird, I was thinking of bumping this thread. :lol I tried replacing the 72 pin connector in my NES along time ago and now the games won't go in right.

Anyways, I got a NEX for my birthday last week and I love the thing. Totally rekindled my love for all those old games. Got the wireless controllers too, and they work well. I love how tiny everything is.

My only problem with it is the games are a bitch to pull out.

All in all I hope this company gets licensing for other systems, like the Genesis. Even though you can buy a used one for like $20, I'd consider purchasing a "remake"- it's not really any different than buying all of the GBA revisions.

Ranger X

I bought the NEX when it came out and it's pretty cool.

Plus:

- pads are the best NES third party pads ever
- first round d-pad i liked in my entire life
- sleek design
- wireless
- The games START ON FIRST TRY.

Sucks:

- sound chip.

There's 95% of the NES catalogue that is compatible with the machine.
99% of the NES catalogue has been tested. Lucky as i am, i fell on 3 games that don't work:

Dracula's Curse (i could have bet my life)
Rad Racer 2 (same same)
MC Kids (wasn't tested by Messiah)

The problem with the sound chip is first of all the volume. It WAY UNDER the volume of the real NES. You have to crank up your sound system volume to hear something and you're gonna suffer from some more background noise.
Also, the chip seems to be rushing with samples. Try pretty much any NES games with samples and you'll get click sounds and other glitches. I don't know if it maybe some mapper thing but recent NES games are rushing in the sound department too. Try Kirby's Adventure for a good example.

Overall, i'm satisfied though. All my other NES games work like a charm and they actually start at THE FIRST FUCKING TRY. yay ;)

Johnas

GitarooMan said:
Old thread I know, but just wanted to add some new thoughts. I got a new 72-pin connector for my old NES at estarland, wasn't hard to put in, and it's like having a nearly new system. Everything is working great now, no blinking lights, plus full compatibility of course. Someone on this board recommended it to me, and it's definitely worth it for ten dollars.

I bought one of these a few years ago (two actually, off Ebay) and it was really simple to install. All games work great, the only downside is that games are harder to insert (I guess my old one was really loose, although I don't remember games being this hard to insert when the system was new) and sometimes it's hard to make the cart stay pushed down initially. But I'll probably never see a blinking blue screen again.

Ancestor said:
I bought one of these a few years ago (two actually, off Ebay) and it was really simple to install. All games work great, the only downside is that games are harder to insert (I guess my old one was really loose, although I don't remember games being this hard to insert when the system was new) and sometimes it's hard to make the cart stay pushed down initially. But I'll probably never see a blinking blue screen again.

Yeah, I noticed they are harder to put in, but that's a small tradeoff for the benefits. It good to be able to play Castlevania III (doesn't work on NEX because the chip in the cartridge is not properly emulated) and other stuff with no blinking. I noticed in the instructions that when reinserting the caddy, you have to carefully make sure the tab is under the circuit board, I don't know if this is causing others people's problems with inserting cartridges.

As for the NEX, yeah, the sound is a problem. The volume is way, way, low on a lot of games and some of the colors are off a little. I think it's solid though, although a bit overpriced. A good second option if you have trouble fixing the pin connector or don't have an old NES.

Top Bottom