• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atlus releasing an SMT game on NA PSN tomorrow [SMT: Nocturne - $9.99]

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the fact we're not talking about the JP version sort of makes that theory fall apart.

But if they DID rerelease Nocturne, would they be able to stick with the original Dante version? Because if not, then they'd likely go to the Raidou edition (or possibly the Non Maniax edition, but based Atlus wouldn't do that I'm sure), which has thus far been Japan only.

Oh yes, ps2 classic actually do,instead being called VM2(as standard ps2 virtual save), the classic files are created as two memory cards VME (and PARAM.SFO file with 20 byte injected as "signed" when you transfer to USB).But it is still virtual memory card,it just get mounted(or un-mounted) when you start(quit) specific game.This is why you decrypt with ps2 classic gui.

This is sort of correct. PCSX2 saves and VIC saves are basically the same. However, there is a difference. At the end of the VMC file, there's an SHA1 hash. Before you encrypt a P CSX2 save you should run a program to recalculate the hash. If you do that, you should be fine.

A lot of people think DDS is actually harder since you've got less flexibility to deal with a roadblock boss.

Yeah, this was exactly the issue for me. I don't think I've ever been stuck long on a boss in a Megaten game with fusion since I can pretty much always just go build the team I need for the encounter, but it's actually fairly easy to have a team that's nowhere near prepared for a specific encounter in DDS (much moreso in 1 than 2, I think.)

Of course now that I said this, Aeana's going to make fun of me for having trouble my first time through DDS1 and ask why I took so many hours to beat it. ;_;

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I still remember my experience playing DD2..........

"Oh cool, these A B C dudes seem cool, I wanna play as them."

Leveling up A B C

Then the game kills off B.

o_O

"Oh alright, let me levels up A D C instead, since D seems cool too."

Leveling up A D C.

Then the game kills of D.

o_O "Oh for fuck's sake"

Then I substitute D with E since I HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE.

"FINE!"

Leveling up A E C with E lagging off behind in terms of level since I ignored him for a long while SINCE ALL OF MY FIRST CHOICES ARE GETTING KILLED.

AND THEN THE GAME KILLS OFF E.

AND THEN SUDDENLY END GAME DUNGEON!

And then the game hands me over B D E to me again, but they do JACK SHIT damage right now since now it's the FINAL DUNGEON and they haven't been leveled up since THEY'VE BEEN GONE ALL THE TIME.

Ahhhhhh memories, memories.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Hopefully Dante doesn't make this difficult to do.

It'll most likely be Raidou if it's Nocturne.

But isn't Digital Devil Saga 2 and Raidou 2 still needing to be put up?

PCH

Neo Member
This is sort of correct. PCSX2 saves and VIC saves are basically the same. However, there is a difference. At the end of the VMC file, there's an SHA1 hash. Before you encrypt a P CSX2 save you should run a program to recalculate the hash. If you do that, you should be fine.

Well, i did not play with VME for long but the method i posted work as i have try it.

What you said about VMC is not true, original VMC (virtual memory cards on PS3 are called VM2 for ps2 card and VM1 for ps1 card) are almost the same as ps2/ps1 memory cards, if you could grab it straight from a ps3 hdd and rename it, they would work in PCSX2 or ps1 emu - no problem.

What this confusion comes from is, most likely, when you export single save(either ps1 or ps2, by the way you cannot export whole memory card) from ps3, it becomes PSV and it does have special header which does include sha1 hmac digest as well as key seed for aes 128 cbc(vtrm).
So once you export PSV save file, all you need is cut this header and PSV save becomes standard save(program like psveporter do just that). You cannot do it in reverse because of signature.

Ps2 classics use VME which is bit different but it is still virtual memory card, it is just encrypted.To decrypt use VMC key(AES encryption in CBC) and to encrypt klicensee is used.Anyway, the method i posted works just fine.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Ill just put this up in advance just in case the "wrong" title is released.

1348913243096.gif

Soriku

I still remember my experience playing DD2..........

"Oh cool, these A B C dudes seem cool, I wanna play as them."

Leveling up A B C

Then the game kills off B.

o_O

"Oh alright, let me levels up A D C instead, since D seems cool too."

Leveling up A D C.

Then the game kills of D.

o_O "Oh for fuck's sake"

Then I substitute D with E since I HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE.

"FINE!"

Leveling up A E C with E lagging off behind in terms of level since I ignored him for a long while SINCE ALL OF MY FIRST CHOICES ARE GETTING KILLED.

AND THEN THE GAME KILLS OFF E.

AND THEN SUDDENLY END GAME DUNGEON!

And then the game hands me over B D E to me again, but they do JACK SHIT damage right now since now it's the FINAL DUNGEON and they haven't been leveled up since THEY'VE BEEN GONE ALL THE TIME.

Ahhhhhh memories, memories.

lol. Yeah that's why you just stick with Serph, Gale, and Cielo.

Well at the very least it won't be Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner - Raidou Kuzunoha vs. the Soulless Army, because that was already released last month.

In the end, I have all of the PS2 games (and no PS3), so it doesn't really matter to me, but it's still fun to watch all of the speculations.

randomkid

Insufficient moral fiber.

(Or getting lost a thousand times in that fucking pit-floors dungeon with the glowy heads.)

I feel like if Aeana ever streamed herself playing one of these games it would basically just be her blazing through menus at inhuman speed with maximum efficiency.

I'm torn between desperately hoping it is Nocturne, and desperately hoping it isn't one of the devil summoner games.

Raidou 2 is fantastic you goober

I already own all Atlus developed PS2 games in their original forms, but I'll still buy whatever it is they put up on PSN anyway!

Dammit Atlus, my money! You're taking it all!

I'm torn between desperately hoping it is Nocturne, and desperately hoping it isn't one of the devil summoner games.

Raidou 2: Attack of the Colon also has the best implementation of the SMT Law/Chaos morality system. It's refreshing to have a morality system not defined by crazy fanatics like every other SMT morality system.

totowhoa

Banned
Well I wouldn't call Raidou 2's combat fantastic, but it's fun enough, and a major improvement over the first.

Totally agree, but it lacked enough variety that it still wore with time for me quick enough. I tend to feel that way more often with action rpgs over traditional jrpgs, which seems counter intuitive at first.

I'm really interested in reflecting on why that may be now.

And maybe one day I'll beat a Raidou game.

Well I wouldn't call Raidou 2's combat fantastic, but it's fun enough, and a major improvement over the first.

I would have preferred if the games were turn based(or at least pseudo turn based), the best parts about the combat were the things that turn based SMT games already do. I despised the action portion of the combat. I'd say raidou(as a character) is probably the most mediocre character I have controlled in a action game so far. Horrible animations, move set is essentially nonexistent, sword impacts like it was made from cardboard ect. It also doesn't help that the enemies in the game are pretty lame to fight as well. They just threw all of the demons in there without a second thought. I would have preferred less but more animated demons.

I'd like to see them give the action RPG one more go but I'm not sure if they should try and make it play like a actual SMT game in real time, elements from SMT maybe but not what raidou did. But yeah, as a whole the game is okay. If you critique the combat and compare it to other action RPGs, you see that they didn't really think it through.

Funny thing is I'd apply this to every SMT game, they're merely adequate, but these games tend to be greater than the sum of their parts.

Funny thing is I'd apply this to every SMT game, they're merely adequate, but these games tend to be greater than the sum of their parts.

I disagree, SMT is one of the few turn based games I can actually tolerate. Very few JRPGS(edit: actually, I'm pretty sure there are none) I can think of that could even be mentioned in the same sentence as soul hackers when it comes to combat speed. And the combat has the right amount of depth too, the team building aspect is deep enough, the exploiting weakness is addictive and it isn't convoluted as fuck or super duper basic like other turn based JRPGs I have played.

I feel like if Aeana ever streamed herself playing one of these games it would basically just be her blazing through menus at inhuman speed with maximum efficiency.

Every single game that comes out we see other mods putting up 30 hour times or whatever and Aeana is like "what, you didn't beat it in 15? how can you be so slow?"

Sophia

Every single game that comes out we see other mods putting up 30 hour times or whatever and Aeana is like "what, you didn't beat it in 15? how can you be so slow?"

I had someone once tell me that it looked like a gameplay video of mine was speeded up because I was blazing through the menus insanely fast and efficiently. Seeing as Aeana's probably even better than me, one can only imagine what her playing looks like...

And speaking of efficiency, I'd have to disagree with this too. Part of the reason I love almost every post-Nocturne SMT game is that the Press Turn and it's variants makes for very speedy, strategic, and enjoyable battles.

Xenus

Aeana , well most of the world would be horrified by my playtimes then. I'm far too completionist and grind happy for my own good.

Well, I certainly don't agree with that. Press turn is one of my favorite combat systems in RPGs.

The "press turn" is actually what lead to my comment. I'm not putting it down; in fact, I'm happy the system defines its rules clearly (essentially rock-paper-scissors) and doesn't get overcomplicated or confusing. So I'm able to get into a rhythm and pay attention to the few key variables (elements, items).

There are other games where the fighting system IS the one defining element in the game, and innovates in many ways in that regard; and yet, they often pale in comparison to SMT when it comes to story-telling, character work, world building...etc

I disagree, SMT is one of the few turn based games I can actually tolerate. Very few JRPGS(edit: actually, I'm pretty sure there are none) I can think of that could even be mentioned in the same sentence as soul hackers when it comes to combat speed. And the combat has the right amount of depth too, the team building aspect is deep enough, the exploiting weakness is addictive and it isn't convoluted as fuck or super duper basic like other turn based JRPGs I have played.

Missed out on that one :(

Soriku

I would have preferred if the games were turn based(or at least pseudo turn based), the best parts about the combat were the things that turn based SMT games already do. I despised the action portion of the combat. I'd say raidou(as a character) is probably the most mediocre character I have controlled in a action game so far. Horrible animations, move set is essentially nonexistent, sword impacts like it was made from cardboard ect. It also doesn't help that the enemies in the game are pretty lame to fight as well. They just threw all of the demons in there without a second thought. I would have preferred less but more animated demons.

I'd like to see them give the action RPG one more go but I'm not sure if they should try and make it play like a actual SMT game in real time, elements from SMT maybe but not what raidou did. But yeah, as a whole the game is okay. If you critique the combat and compare it to other action RPGs, you see that they didn't really think it through.

Raidou isn't the most complex action character to play, but bosses were designed pretty well (especially considering that Atlus rarely makes non-turn based RPGs), and regular enemies aren't bad either, so the game is still fun to play. The animations for demons aren't far off from the other games (SMT games aren't known for their animations anyway).

I had someone once tell me that it looked like a gameplay video of mine was speeded up because I was blazing through the menus insanely fast and efficiently. Seeing as Aeana's probably even better than me, one can only imagine what her playing looks like...
I'm starting to put together the origin of ModBot.

Raidou isn't the most complex action character to play, but bosses were designed pretty well (especially considering that Atlus rarely makes non-turn based RPGs), and regular enemies aren't bad either, so the game is still fun to play. The animations for demons aren't far off from the other games (SMT games aren't known for their animations anyway).

The puzzle that some bosses had were pretty cool, regular enemies were just bland to fight imo and animations are extremely important for a action game.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Which SMT games are available on PSN in Japan? According to Wikipedia none of them are but that can't be correct.

There are hardly any PS2 classics on the JP store. Its one thing that always boggles my mind. The fact that you guys in the US got Raidou also and Japan didnt made me go wtf further. I still keep checking every now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom