• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big Brother Canada Season 5 |OT| - Newbs vs. Vets

Status
Not open for further replies.

UberTag

BBC-logo.png

Episodes Air Wednesdays @ 9, Thursdays @ 8 and Mondays @ 9 on Global

Date the houseguests entered the house = Saturday, March 11th {Day 1}
Current Day in the BB Game = Day 69

Official Website
Big Brother Canada 5 on WikiPedia
RobHasaWebsite Big Brother Canada 5 Coverage w/ Jordan Parhar
Ongoing Big Brother Canada 5 Feed Summaries @ OnlineBigBrother.com
Big Brother Canada on Twitter
Big Brother Canada 5 Quotes & Spoilers on Twitter
Hamsterwatch on Twitter
Previous Season Threads - BBCAN 1 / BBCAN 2 / BBCAN 3 / BBCAN 4

As always, I'm going to reinforce spoiler protocol for this season in the OP.
If a spoiler comes out from an episode taping PRIOR to an episode airing (these episodes aren't aired live), keep the discussion to spoiler tags only.
You're free to discuss developments from live feeds without tags.

BBCAN Discussion Forums to follow developments, discussion, speculation and spoilers away from the GAF OT...
- Reddit
- Survivor Sucks
- Joker's Updates

Pick your favorite houseguest to root for...

THE FINAL 3

400a53a3e87b.png
c4d047f9c5e7.png
d8cafc189364.png

Demetres Giannitsos - This confident, self-possessed beefcake loves to workout, and is looking to align with alpha males to make it to the end.
Karen Singbeil - This mother of three thinks her ability to adapt will give her an edge in the house.
Kevin Martin - Kevin is looking to take fewer gambles with his game after falling victim to the first-ever BBCAN triple eviction in BBCAN3.

THE JURY - Comprised entirely of two-time losers and one-time casting washouts.
69a567c1f9e1.png
0c3d3e3ef1ba.png
26f216dda78d.png
d08026ef5f4a.png
d5c65c6eeee8.png
2359a38ff172.png
ae23f4b04481.png
7e6914c92be0.png

Bruno Ielo - Bruno is looking for a second chance after a coup d'état twist led to his departure in BBCAN3.
Dillon Carman - This professional boxer and current Canadian Heavyweight Champ is a strong and powerful competitor, but a teddy bear at heart.
Dre Gwenaelle - Brains, beauty and a sassy attitude, Masters student Andre ”Dre" Gwenaelle is a force to be reckoned with.
Ika Wong - Unapologetic and sassy, Ika shredded her chance to win along with those letters in BBCAN2, and is looking to take this second chance one week at a time.
Jackie McCurrach - Fun, outgoing, and silly, this fiery redhead is a guys' girl who plans to focus on mental strength, and keeping her head in the game.
Neda Kalantar - An admitted BBCAN strategist, Neda is looking for redemption after her game was cut short by her closest ally in BBCAN2.
Sindy Nguyen - A competition beast in BBCAN3, Sindy is looking to improve her social game for a second shot at the win.
William Laprise Desbiens - This French-Canadian is looking to be himself and have fun in the house...but if he has to do some backstabbing in the process, he will.

Tregard

Soothsayer
Excited to see Karen pull out a win against all odds. This looks like a great cast, a little disappointed it's not International All-Stars as was rumoured, maybe another time.

But I'm definitely excited by most of the newbies, and the returnees all seem suitable (with an S)

Kevin Martin, let's go PogChamp

Edit: But I also loved Neda's game the first time around.

Edit2: For those who don't know Kevin Martin streams poker on Twitch all the time and is pretty good friends with Jason Sommerville through that.

UberTag

How can Americans watch this?
They can't... legally. That said if you employ a VPN to change your IP region to Canada, you should be able to watch the live feeds at no cost off the official BBCAN website.

That's far less effort than Canadians have to make to watch the BBUS feeds.

My cousin somehow got free tickets to the secret taping they did tonight (between 3-8 p.m. saturday) and she took my wife with her. The two of them are HUGE fans of BB. I'm just an occasional watcher though. My wife isn't home yet, but I'll ask her if there was anything juicy that people might want to know and them post them here in spoiler tags.

UberTag

My cousin somehow got free tickets to the secret taping they did tonight (between 3-8 p.m. saturday) and she took my wife with her. The two of them are HUGE fans of BB. I'm just an occasional watcher though. My wife isn't home yet, but I'll ask her if there was anything juicy that people might want to know and them post them here in spoiler tags.
Much appreciated. Always happy to hear anecdotal impressions from fellow BB fans about what we can expect to see later this week. I've actually got plans both Wednesday and Thursday night so I don't expect to be watching these episodes until sometime afterwards.

I suspect the live feeds won't kick off until Thursday night... but I could be mistaken on that.
There will be a direct link in the OP of this thread once they're up. This OP will be dynamically changing throughout the season to keep up with current events in the house so don't overlook it.

Koomaster

*scans contestant names* Okay, nobody named Topaz so Gary may have a shot this time around. xD

My friend and I talk about this show all year round; we can't wait for the premiere. :D

UberTag

One light spoiler I can pass along from the premiere taping about the first HOH competition...
houseguests compete against one another in pairs; each pair consisting of one newbie and one vet. The winning team will decide which among the two will be HOH for the week. Presumably they'll pledge safety to whomever is not HOH.

Parch

The Champ is here. That's an interesting casting choice. I wonder how many of them will realize he's the heavyweight champ. He'll probably get labelled as the strong as an ox, thick as a brick type. There is a bunch that seem to be into working out so maybe there will be a fitness alliance.

The drama queen returns with Gary back in the house. He made me laugh and is a pretty good player too. A lot of the returnees are really good players so it'll probably be a noob slaughter. I'd have to make Neda the early favorite but you never know. If other vets get convinced that the better vets are really serious threats there might be some surprise early evictions.

Okay, my wife just got back from the secret taping and it went on longer than expected. She said that there wasn't really anything juicy that was revealed during it. All they did was introduce the contestants (4 at a time for the eight newbies and one at a time for the returning players) with very short interviews before they entered the house for the first time.

All of the people in the audience were told not to post anything online that might reveal any surprises or secrets. Despite this, my wife said that there really wasn't anything juicy or revealing to report, that it was mostly all of the introductory stuff that they had to take care of before the game actually begins.

One more thing that my wife mentioned was the hostess. I've commented before to my wife how much better and personable the BBC hostess is compared to the American hostess. She's bubbly, energetic and funny. But my wife was surprised at how much more funny she is in person that doesn't come across during what is actually aired on television. Her sense of humour and excitement for the show really came through while she ad libbed with the audience between takes. She said that her enthusiasm really showed how big a fan of the show she really is.

So that's pretty much it. Sorry that it wasn't anything more!

UberTag

Yeah, Arisa is like the anti-Julie Chen when it comes to her hosting duties.
Studio audiences always rave about how much she engages with them.

Thanks for the impressions, PeteZa. Hope your wife enjoyed the taping.

One light spoiler I can pass along from the premiere taping about the first HOH competition...
houseguests compete against one another in pairs; each pair consisting of one newbie and one vet. The winning team will decide which among the two will be HOH for the week. Presumably they'll pledge safety to whomever is not HOH.
LOL, my wife strictly forbade me from mentioning this tidbit in my post! She said that this was the only "juicy" tidbit that they revealed during the taping and that she wanted to respect the wishes of the show by not mentioning it.

I groaned when I heard the theme of this season, but upon seeing the returnees, I think they actually cast this sensibly, with good players and/or game players who will actually do something. Not a single one makes me go WTF like some of Survivor's "game changers" cast. (I personally don't like Ika, but I recognize how iconic her shreddies moment is to bbcan)

Yeah, Arisa is like the anti-Julie Chen when it comes to her hosting duties.
Studio audiences always rave about how much she engages with them.

Thanks for the impressions, PeteZa. Hope your wife enjoyed the taping.
No problem! She enjoyed it quite a bit. I also forgot to mention that I also have another unusual BBC connection in that one of my friends is a cinematographer who has the job of controlling several of the remote-operated cameras that are hidden in the rooms.

Swass

Hate these kinds of seasons, newbies are just fodder.. US all-stars vs bbcan all-stars would have been so much better.

That said go Neda.. be the first 2 time winner, though I could see the show rigging it for Gary to win, redemption for the Topaz flub.

Arisa is my favourite Big Brother host of all time

Davina still holds that title for me, though Julie has been a lot of fun lately, especially at the BBOTT finale.

UberTag

That said go Neda.. be the first 2 time winner, though I could see the show rigging it for Gary to win, redemption for the Topaz flub.
It's hard to become a 2-time winner when you haven't managed to win once. Let Neda net her first win before talking about a potential second.
As for what the show wants, I remain ever convinced that they'll want Kevin to win until he does. I referred to him as Production Pet back in Season 3 for a reason.

Tregard

Soothsayer
I think Dallas is a strange pick over the likes of Mitch or Ramsey, maybe he was just super enthusiastic about it

I think Dallas is a strange pick over the likes of Mitch or Ramsey, maybe he was just super enthusiastic about it

I basically had a "Who?" moment when I saw Dallas as a returnee. Strange choice indeed. Ramsay would have been nice to have a second chance due to the circumstances of his self-eviction.

Pretty fun premiere. I honestly did not expect that HOH winner at all - but I'm happy with it.

Going to vote Cassandra for the time warp; I want her to be as vicious as she wants without immediate repercussions. Neda will probably win though, lol.

Not too happy with the twist. It's just a little too obviously "Help a vet get as far as they can." Why would anyone vote for one of the new people after a single episode?

Happy with the HoH result though!

Helen Shivers

Neo Member
Please vote for Cassandra, she needs this twist to stay in the game, she can not win competitions and her gameplay is fresh in everyone's minds because she is from last season. With her safe until jury she will be free to stir many pots and cause messy entertainment for the next month. If you are a Neda fan, please vote Cassandra. This twist is not for Neda, you KNOW Neda would not want to sit on the sidelines and be BB13 Dani Donato for half the season. You want to see Neda be the brilliant gameplayer she is, do not disservice her by giving her this safety. Also think of how difficult it would be for Neda to win the game if she somehow made final 2, everyone will use this twist against her. Please vote for Cassandra! Thank you.

I'm voting Karen. Mamma's already received a blessing, and is going to need all the help she can get to stick around with these horny children.

UberTag

The OP has been updated with tonight's HOH winner.
You can vote for the Time Warp recipient until 3pm Eastern / 12pm Pacific.

I'm expecting Gary to win it... but I'll be fine with just about anyone except Kevin.

Going to vote Cassandra for the time warp; I want her to be as vicious as she wants without immediate repercussions. Neda will probably win though, lol.
Please vote for Cassandra, she needs this twist to stay in the game, she can not win competitions and her gameplay is fresh in everyone's minds because she is from last season. With her safe until jury she will be free to stir many pots and cause messy entertainment for the next month. If you are a Neda fan, please vote Cassandra. This twist is not for Neda, you KNOW Neda would not want to sit on the sidelines and be BB13 Dani Donato for half the season. You want to see Neda be the brilliant gameplayer she is, do not disservice her by giving her this safety. Also think of how difficult it would be for Neda to win the game if she somehow made final 2, everyone will use this twist against her. Please vote for Cassandra! Thank you.
Yeah I don't think I love this vote either but it is what it is and I'll vote for Cass.
Vote%20for%20Cass.png

Even though I don't like Ika as a person, she is entertaining. She had a very expressive bitchface for every vet that walked in the door lol
I liked Neda's "are you internationals, have you played before?" Girl's in the house for 5 seconds, already trying to figure shit out.

Apparently spoilers are out there? Noms, veto winner, whether veto was used, who was evicted, and the winner of the fan vote:

Potentially MASSIVE spoilers for tonight's episode:
Noms:
Mark and Demetres
Veto winner:
____Bruno____
Was veto used/replacement nom?
_______Not used_____________
Evicted:
____Mark____
Winner of the straight to jury fan vote:
____Neda____

Evicted:
____Mark____
Winner of the straight to jury fan vote:
____Neda____
There were definitely some newbies (and Bruno) that I would have rather seen gone first, but Mark wasn't a worst case scenario. I am a little disappointed I won't get to see him on the feeds for at least one week, though. Neda winning the twist comes as no surprise. Don't like her at all, so I hope this will mean instant backlash as soon as the twist is over.

Votes, which strongly suggest the current house divide:

Neda Sindy Ika Cass Gary William & Dre VOTED TO EVICT Mark.

There were definitely some newbies (and Bruno) that I would have rather seen gone first, but Mark wasn't a worst case scenario. I am a little disappointed I won't get to see him on the feeds for at least one week, though. Neda winning the twist comes as no surprise. Don't like her at all, so I hope this will mean instant backlash as soon as the twist is over.

Votes, which strongly suggest the current house divide:

Neda Sindy Ika Cass Gary William & Dre VOTED TO EVICT Mark.

Yeah, I'm surprised she didn't go for any of the vets, but if it had to be a new player, I'm happy with the results.

If the 7 people who voted to evict Mark aligned....WHEW. That would be an amazing alliance.

Apparently Sindy (and potentially Ika?) were swing votes and Neda/Ika had a fight with Sindy tho.

Karen is really taking charge, she's going to be ruthless.

Her even considering putting up Kevin has me worried, though. Please don't come for my boy. :(

Tregard

Soothsayer
Yikes,
Demetres
is HOH. Not sure who they'll go after, but I'm certainly not happy about it.

Depending on how much Cassandra got to him, I could see him going for Dillon. Cynic in me says Dillon & Karen, but he should probably gun for some vets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom