• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Business Insider: Nintendo's stock rose 33% since Friday. It's highest since 1983.

MisterHero

What makes Uncharted 4 a better game by being an exclusive? absolutely nothing besides deducing the amount of potential players.
Sony wants to sell Playstation as a living room media streaming device. PCs can do those things, but typically aren't those things. Consoles are more affordable, accessible, and focused than PC.

The exclusive sells the hardware, not the other way around.

Sure, it would have sold more. And taken little time to port over.

What makes Uncharted 4 a better game by being an exclusive? absolutely nothing besides deducing the amount of potential players.

Exclusives exist to sell the hardware. Every developer would love to be masters of their own fate and build their own console for consumers to buy but only a few can pull it off.

The stealth port begging in this thread is getting ridiculous.

Terrell

I can't believe so much people are going "nitendo haz to go third partyz" in a thread basically saying that they are meeting a great success.
Go on people, you are the best!

I just want to go on the record that this was posted 500 posts ago. And people are still at it.

Nintendo's value goes up by 7 billion dollars in a weekend and people still beg for them to go third party. Incredible.

The begging is never going to stop, it's important to just understand that and move on. Although the veracity of it in this thread clearly shows how Nintendo's success frightens or even downright threatens some people's belief systems. Haven't seen it this saddeningly blatant since the first few years of the Wii phenomenon.

So the performance of their hardware business has nothing to do with whether or not the hardware business continues to operate past NX? That makes sense to me!

The current performance of their hardware business doesn't, no. But stockholders don't have memories like a goldfish, either.

You might have forgotten that Wii-level success is possible in the dedicated hardware segment, but they haven't. And that possibility or even a fraction of it, whether you think it's never again possible or not, means that both Nintendo and their shareholders aren't ready to let go of it. Plain and simple.

Until outright catastrophe happens to the dedicated hardware segment as a whole, Nintendo is going to keep at it and their shareholders will support them.

I wouldn't call it stealth

Yeah, it's about as subtle as a vuvuzela orchestra playing in the middle of a moment of silence.

weekev

Banned
FWIW Nintendo share price went up another 12.83% today. Getting close to the 5 year high of just after Nintendo going mobile was announced.

Haunted

People are fooling themselves if they think this thing has legs. It's this year's Angry Birds.
Wait, which year was the year of Angry Birds?

Nintendo/Niantic/Pokemon Company will be chuffed to bits if Pokemon Go stays relevant for years like Angry Birds has. 7 years and counting, they literally just released a fucking Angry Birds movie in theatres that has already grossed more than $340 millions.

Selling PS4s and PS4Ks.

Sony wants to sell Playstation as a living room media streaming device. PCs can do those things, but typically aren't those things. Consoles are more affordable, accessible, and focused than PC.

Exclusives exist to sell the hardware. Every developer would love to be masters of their own fate and build their own console for consumers to buy but only a few can pull it off.

The stealth port begging in this thread is getting ridiculous.

Sony wanting to sell PS4s has fuck all to do with Uncharted 4 being a better video game by being exclusive to one platform. The argument is that Uncharted 4 is a physically better video game because it's only available for fewer people to play.

Secondly, I am not "begging" for a port. I am pointing out the stupid logic of Speevys comment saying that releasing this game as a third party success is the logical step to make a closed down ecosystem. Basically throwing out their conservative reductionist bullshit logic they have been running with this far.

R

Rösti

Unconfirmed Member
Should I buy some stock?

GAF investors help me out
Do so before July 27 and Nintendo's FY 2016 First Quarter Earnings Release I'd say. That earnings release usually has no briefing, but if the stock continues to rise one might just happen. We'll see how this develops.

I just want to go on the record that this was posted 500 posts ago. And people are still at it.

The begging is never going to stop, it's important to just understand that and move on. Although the veracity of it in this thread clearly shows how Nintendo's success frightens or even downright threatens some people's belief systems. Haven't seen it this saddeningly blatant since the first few years of the Wii phenomenon.
i don't really get this logic though? As publishers Nintendo and Sony are almost polar opposites on game philosophy and brand. Sony's & Nintendo's recent E3 highlighted this even more so. I dunno, I feel like they really compliment each other very well. I couldn't imagine Nintendo not doing everything themselves, including hardware. It's like Apple letting Mac OS run on PC's. It's just not their DNA, they like to the do everything in house. I think Sony and Nintendo parting ways early on was the best thing that happened to the gaming industry.

Zweisy1

You don't have to be an active Nintendo gamer to have a grin on your face over Nintendo showing all these fucking smartphone game developers how its done.

I love Nintendo as a developer and as a company but still.. there's loads of quality devs and games on the mobiles, several of them far more deserving of the success than Pokemon Go.. the games alright, that's about it.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

That's a big part of why I don't think MS putting their games going forward on PC too is going to hurt their Xbox business. There's still a huge market of people who much prefer simple to hook up and use consoles to PCs for their gaming, streaming to the big screen etc.

Even if they sell a few less consoles, they aren't going to care as they make little money on those and will be making more money in software sales to people who have gaming PCs but would have never bought an Xbox that can now buy their exclusives.

While Sony and Nintendo don't have as much incentive to do the same things once they aren't invested in the PC world like MS obviously, I think they could do the same and increase profits for the same reasons. Most of their fans would still buy their consoles as they have no interest in PCs, and they could sell more games to the PC gamer crowd that wasn't buying before. And they can make their own storefronts/ecosystems (if Blizzard and EA can do it, Nintendo and Sony certainly can) and keep 100% of the profits instead of putting their games on Steam or other services.

I just got a gaming PC for the first time (sold my X1) and also have a PS4 and Wii U (along with a Vita and 3DS). I have no problems with buying multiple machines obviously, so I'm not port begging. Just stating that the big profits are in software and finding ways to sell software to as many gamers as possible without going third party is a wise move.

In a decade or two we'll be at a point where people aren't buying dedicated gaming consoles, pcs, movie players etc. Everything will be cloud based and can be accessed from apps on small set top boxes, tablets and whatever else that can run the app as all processing is done cloud side (ala PS Now but perfected with improvements in Internet capacity and technology). It's important for the companies that want too thrive in that environment to build customer bases tied into their ecosystems more so than their hardware so that they seamlessly transition to using those cloud apps when we're at that point. If they're not ready, they'll have a harder time breaking in vs. having something like Steam becoming the dominant platform and companies being forced to put their games there and pay a cut in royalties.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Should I buy some stock?

GAF investors help me out

Buying at a 5 year high? Nope. I'd wait for a while that the Pokemon Go dust settles, the stock is already edging downwards. Go in at $20-25 knowing that NX or Animal Crossing mobile are ahead of us, and the stock has recent precedent of trading at $30.

tanooki27

What exactly would force Nintendo into making annual entries?! Sony? Microsoft? I bet that EA and Ubisoft would want to be free of the tyranny of MS/Sony that forces them to release games that frequent.

Who are these mythical being forcing developers? What sort of boogie men do you think appear as soon as you go third party? They'll be the same company with the same game directors. They'll keep on making games they'd like to make.

they wouldn't be as free to make cool stuff. they'd be more beholden to the platform holders. that's how it works, yah?

Top Bottom