• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about the Gen 6 Pokemon designs? (Gif/Pic warning)

I'm not going to lie, I'm really excited for October. Pokemon X & Y look like they're introducing a whole lot of new things, from a new type, to new battles, and new ways to interact with your Pokemon.

That being said, what has me most excited is the Pokemon designs themselves. They're overall pretty freaking awesome and I feel like they all 'go' together quite well.

Currently, I would say that my favourites are Chespin, because of his adorable/ridiculous hat, Gogoat, Helioptile because of his frilled-neck, Skrelp, and Talonflame, because he looks pretty badass for what will probably be the evolution for an early-route bird, like Pidgey.

There's a few I don't like as much, for sure, but that happens every generation - heck in a series with over 670 designs, and counting, liking them all equally would be a huge feat. Anyway, here are the 40 that have been revealed so far.

The Starters

q4k.png
quilladin.png

n91.png
braixen.png

vuy.png
frogadier.png

Chespin (Grass) --> Quilladin (Grass),
Fennekin (Fire) --> Braixen (Fire)
Froakie (Water) --> Frogadier (Water)

The Legendary Pokemon[/U]
kfyy.png
fzjw.png

Xerneas (Fairy), Yveltal (Dark/Flying)

The Regular Pokemon
fm02.png
3g9.png

Fletchling (Normal/Flying) --> Talonflame (Fire/Flying)

h5rd.png
wp1w.png
znw.png

Scatterbug (Bug) --> Spewpa (Bug) --> Vivillon (Bug/Flying)

ueau.png
pangoro.png

Pancham (Fighting) --> Pangoro (Fighting/Dark)

skiddo.png
ahcv.png

Skiddo, (Grass) --> Gogoat (Grass)

inkay.png
malamar.png

Inkay (Dark/Psychic) --> Malamar (Dark/Psychic)

csx.png
pyroar.png
pyroarf.png

Litleo (Fire/Normal) --> Pyroar (M/F) (Fire/Normal)

tyrunt.png
tyrantrum.png

Tyrunt (Rock/Dragon), Tyrantrum (Rock/Dragon)

amaura.png
amauraevo.png

Amaura (Rock/Ice), Aurorus (Rock/Ice)

pyu.png
td2l.png

Skrelp (Poison/Water), Clauncher (Water)

grm.png
qx0.png

Flabébé (Fairy), Noivern (Flying/Dragon)

swirlix.png
spritzee.png

Swirlix (Fairy), Spritzee (Fairy)

dedenne.png
bunnelby.png

Dedene (Electric/Fairy), Bunnelby (Normal)

honedge.png
livc.png

Honedge (Steel/Ghost), Helioptile (Normal/Electric)

furfrou.png
meowstic.png
meowstic1.png

Furfrou (Normal), Meowstic M/F (Psychic)

The Additions
x8v.png

Sylveon (Fairy) - alternate evolution of Eevee

venusaur.png
charizard.png
blastoise.png

MegaVenusaur (Grass), MegaCharizard (Fire/Flying), MegaBlastoise (Water)

megablaziken.png
megalucario.png

MegaBlaziken (Fire/Fighting), MegaLucario (Fighting/Steel)

megamawile.png
megaabsol.png

MegaMawile (Steel/Fairy), MegaAbsol (Dark)

zivv.png
mewtwox.png

Mega Mewtwo Y (Psychic), Mega Mewtwo X (Psychic/Fighting),

megaampharos.png
garchomp.png

MegaAmpharos (Electric/Dragon), MegaGarchomp (Ground/Dragon)

The Unknowns
-MegaKangaskan
megakangaskhan.jpg

-Oorotto
oorotto.jpg

Neiteio

They're uniformly excellent so far. My favorites are probably Yveltal, Xerneas, Chespin, Gogoat and Talonflame.

Best gen design wise so far. It couples the simplicity of gen I while retaining the complexity of gen V. Perfect marriage IMHO.

Skelter

Banned
Really liking what they've shown so far. I hope they can keep the cute up. I just started playing Ni No Kuni and man I love their familiar designs. Noivern looks awesome I might even switch him with Crobat. I've been using a Crobat since Gen II.

Jawmuncher

The designs thus far are pretty impressive.
They remind me of Gen 3 which was the last good gen of original Pokemon. Hell I'd argue 3 is the best. So many of my favorite Pokemon there. Regardless X/Y should be a real treat when the entire list is out.

PAULINK

I microwave steaks.
Don't like the starters, but then again I haven't liked a starter since Gen 2 so that's not a surprise. The legendaries look pretty over the top, but the other pokemon I'm seeing in this thread look OK. There were a lot of stinkers in gen 5 that made me think they were running out of ideas so I'm not going to hold my breath.

As someone who hasn't liked a lot of designs from recent gens due to them being over designed, I'm fairly happy so far. Seems a nice medium between the relatively simple gen 1 and 2, and those that came later on.

Salvadora

I'm really pleased with the starter & legendary (not Mewthree) designs.

We've seen relatively few of the others, but I'm confident the majority will be good. There's a few dodgy revealed ones, though. Although some are growing on me.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
Noivern is too damn busy, but most are great. The alternate Mewtwo is pretty bad, though. I hope the OTHER alternate form (there is another, right?) is better.

SoulUnison

Banned
Talonflame is ok as a design, but it's officially the laziest name of any 'mon thus far.
It's just two nouns left as-is and pasted together.

And his French name, "Flambusard," and his, I think Italian name "Fiarrow," are so decent.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Xerneas is like something out of a Miyazaki film. It's awesome.
The other designs are pretty great too.

abrack08

For what they've shown so far, it probably has the best percentage of pokes I really like. Litleo is awful though.

My top 3 are probably Froakie, Clauncher, and Gogoat

The designs thus far are pretty impressive.
They remind me of Gen 3 which was the last good gen of original Pokemon. Hell I'd argue 3 is the best. So many of my favorite Pokemon there. Regardless X/Y should be a real treat when the entire list is out.

was gen 3 your first one, by any chance?

Drago

I only really like less than half of them. A lot of them just look dumb to me I guess. Sylveon is probably my least favorite Pokemon design ever.

I want to see all of the pre/evolutions to older Pokemon though, surely there must be more than Eevee and Mewtwo (yes I know that's a form change).

The last time I cared about Pokemon they actually somewhat looked distinguishable from one another and there were 'only' 150 of them. Seems like a lot has happened since then...

Some of these are excellent (Gogoat, the Scatterbug family, the legendaries, Fletchling and talonflame) but the starters bore the crap out of me.

I feel that they look kinda dopey. It is the round eyes. In Gen 1 the eyes were rarely circles.

I don't like how many of their eyes are circles, but other than that they look pretty cool. I like the eagle one best.

Ya'll go ahead and laugh, Litleo is gonna evolve into a badass manticore and eat yo little Gogoats and Froakies.

7xrz.jpg

Look at the tails.

The ones they've revealed so far all look great. But I'm sure once the whole lineup for Gen 6 is revealed, the chorus of haters will get louder, as will the whining of the Genwunners.

Toxi

Banned
I prefer Gen 5's designs, but Gen 6 still is pretty decent pretty far. I like the pistol shrimp and leafy sea dragon, and I like seeing a dragon pokemon that is based on a fruit bat.

Also, the observation of Litleo's tail looking like a scorpion tail is pretty cool.

Ya'll go ahead and laugh, Litleo is gonna evolve into a badass manticore and eat yo little Gogoats and Froakies.

Look at the tails.

Good catch on the tail. I hope Litleo can be found early, I would love him as my Fire Pokemon (going with Chespin as my starter)

Good catch on the tail. I hope Litleo can be found early, I would love him as my Fire Pokemon (going with Chespin as my starter)
Might just be a regular lion tail
lion_tail_optimized.jpg

Only time will tell....

Maybe it will be this gens version of Growlithe/Arcanine, Houndoom, Ninetales. A two stage fire type.

I want to see the the final evolutions for all the starters, cause I pick my start on which one looks the coolest fully evolved....

Might just be a regular lion tail

Only time will tell....

Maybe it will be this gens version of Growlithe/Arcanine, Houndoom, Ninetales. A two stage fire type.

Wouldn't mind either way. Litleo looks like a Fire version of Shinx to me, which is cool cos I loved Shinx.

Top Bottom