• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about the Gen 6 Pokemon designs? (Gif/Pic warning)

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Ya'll go ahead and laugh, Litleo is gonna evolve into a badass manticore and eat yo little Gogoats and Froakies.

7xrz.jpg

Look at the tails.

May I direct you towards another monster collecting game that might be more your speed?
images

Also I will punch anyone for talking mess about Trubbish.

JoeM86

With the exception of the new Mewtwo form, I can honestly say that I haven't found myself impressed with any of the new Pokemon in the least. Maybe I'm just not as impressed with new Pokemon in general because a new batch of Pokemon isn't as "special" of a thing as it used to be (what with Gen VI arriving so quickly after V)?

Or maybe they really are just unimpressive? I dunno, but I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come.

That's really only in the west though.

The lifetime of Gen V isn't even the shortest for any region. The shortest for Japan is exactly three years: November 1999 to November 2002 for Generation II while the shortest for the west is the first generation: September 1998 to October 2000.

This does come "faster", since the last generation lasted four years, but it's not ultra fast. It is because of the worldwide launch, and that's a worthy trade-off

We're now just over a month away, and a significant number of new Pokemon and Mega Evolutions have been announced (which have been added to the OP). I'm still really impressed with the designs of this generation, overall and I'm really looking forward to Corocoro this week and what new Pokemon and Mega Evolutions will be announced.

My current top ten of the brand new ones, so far:

1. Chespin
2. Xerneas
3. Talonflame
4. Gogoat
5. Pangoro
6. Bunnelby
7. Honedge
8. Clauncher
9. Spritzee
10. Helioptile

One month away and Helioptile is still the king of Gen VI. Maybe I have a predisposition for lizard Pokémon or something, but there's just so much I love about Helioptile.

I cannot friggin' wait to see its evolution.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm going to bet that helioptile's evolution is going to have solar power panels for frills and that's going to be awesome.

Toparaman

Banned
I agree, the designs look very nice this gen. My starter is going to be Froakie, just so that I can say "FROAK YOU!" during battles.

Hiltz

What's the deal with Mewtwo? Is that a form or evolution? Is it still unknown?

It's a temporary evolution that requires the player to have a a mega watch gadget and Mewtwo must be holding a mega stone item. Once you've met these requirements, Mewtwo or any other pokemon capable of a Mega evolution, will transform during battle, but once the battle is finally over, the pokemon will revert back into its normal form.

Ultimadrago

Man, these last couple generations have beaten the ever-loving crap out of previous ones in terms of design.
I'm happy to see it happen and am looking forward to seeing more from this one.

I already like these guys better than Gen 5. My biggest problem with Black and White, apart from the insane wild encounter rate, was that I just couldn't find that many dudes I wanted in my party. And so many of them just had terribly limited move pools, or relied heavily on egg moves that you couldn't even get early in the game. Hopefully these games will be better about that.

Cryxok

weren't Xerneas and Yveltal confirmed as Fairy-type and Dark/Flying type respectively? or was that just a Hiro/wpm thing?
EDIT: I believe they were when their signature attacks were revealed

Raonak

Banned
Much Better than genV, which was probably the worst gen designwise.

mewtwo megaform and slyveon look terribad though.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Weird, I thought Gen V was pretty well-regarded? There was a lot of them, but Palpitoad and Throh and Sawk are some of my favorite Pokemon of all time now.

Anyway, I pretty much like every Gen (Gen IV, looking back, is probably my least favorite...and not because of the Evos, I like most of them, the other Pokemon are kind of boring outside Scorupi, Kricketot, Carnivine, Spiritomb, Snover, Hippopotas, Croagunk, Turtwig, and Gible), with Gen III being my favorite, and so far I feel these ones are pretty good, not too complex, but there's some quirky designs which I like such as Honedge, Helioptile, Skrelp, Spritzee, Flabebe and Honedge. I hope we get some humanoid ones, those are my favorite.

The only ones I don't care for much is Vivillion (Gen V had awesome bug Pokemon, shame to get such a plain Bug/Flying) and Fennekin, while Chespin and Froakie are neck-to-neck and I'm still deciding who to get. Oh, and Sylveon, but I never cared for Eevee evolutions, but I actually like all the other Fairy-types.

As someone who initially was very put off by both Gen 3 and 4, I think everything they've shown so far about Gen 6 designs is very promising. I like that the mega evolutions aren't super overdone and don't look like weird fan made pictures.

This is also the first gen that I like more than one of the starters. It's also a shame that they are letting you choose one of the original three when the starters look so promising. I could never skip the opportunity to make a new Charizard.

Yeah, there are a lot of great designs so far. Here's hoping the Gen keeps it up!

I desperately need to know what manner of badass Pokemon Helioptile evolves into. And I need a Spritzee, and I need it to evolve into something that confirms that it is, in fact, based on a plague doctor.

Toxi

Banned
Apparently, Generation 1 was the pinnacle of unique Pokemon designs that all looked different from each other.

Also, Generation 5 has the best designs. The starters, monkeys, and legendaries suck, but everything else is solid gold. Gen IV looks... Okay so far. The mega evolutions mostly look like ass, but the normal Pokemon are pretty good.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
livc.png
csx.png

... I don't...

td2l.png

Now that's a pokemon!

swirlix.png

Well I guess if there's an ice cream cone there can be cotton candy too. Next up is carmel apple mon. I'll name him Carmelo.

dedenne.png

Pikachu you've let yourself go. Come on, shave your face and we'll hit the gym.

venusaur.png
charizard.png
blastoise.png

DON'T EVEN. Jeez, does Blastoise have enough water guns? You'd think the big one on top would be enough.

zivv.png
megaampharos.png

Why does Mewtwo look smaller and with a younger cute face? And that Gamecube handle... This dude on the right looks majestic though.

Overall this batch is looking better than some previous gens. Revisiting the original designs is turning out to be a disaster though.

ivysaur12

Banned
Almost all the designs are fantastics, and the Mega Pokemon have really impressed. Mega Charizard just looks phenomenally badass.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Much Better than genV, which was probably the worst gen designwise.

mewtwo megaform and slyveon look terribad though.

Personally I'd say Gen II has the worst gen in design. Yes, even worse than the "feared" Gen IV.

V is one of the best gens in design. No gen will give you a clay mecha, a badass eagle, and a cute little spider.

Jeels

I hope mega evolutions don't count as real pokemon in their "counter". Aren't those things only temporarily available?

Evilisk

I haven't been interested in ages Pokemon in but these look so boss

ueau.png
pangoro.png
honedge.png

The rest are all pretty meh to me though

megamawile.png

I'm personally disappointed that Mawile didn't just get another evolution (mega evolutions are only temporary right?)

dedenne.png

Can't not see Raichu in this

Toxi

Banned
It bothers me how people act like Vanillite and its kin were the first Pokemon shaped like food. Did they just forget the psychic coconut seeds that conveniently look like chicken eggs?
exeggcute.jpg

Personally I'd say Gen II has the worst gen in design. Yes, even worse than the "feared" Gen IV.

V is one of the best gens in design. No gen will give you a clay mecha, a badass eagle, and a cute little spider.
Gen 2 and 4 are so fucking boring. Gold and Silver were good games, but the new Pokemon that came with them were a snore-fest. If Octillery and Forretress never existed, I'd probably consider Gen 2 worse than Gen 4.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hell, Vanillite isn't even a food. Same with Swirlix.

I'm personally disappointed that Mawile didn't just get another evolution (mega evolutions are only temporary right?)

Think of it this way though - you still use Mawile without evolving it!

The designs seem good so far. I love the megaevolutions. The normal guys seem okay so far too. Can't wait to see all of the others.

I really like the legendaries and some of the mega evolutions are great. Everything else is mediocre. This will be a day one purchase regardless,

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
It bothers me how people act like Vanillite and its kin were the first Pokemon shaped like food. Did they just forget the psychic coconut seeds that conveniently look like chicken eggs?
There's a difference between eggs, which have been prevalent and present for a long time in the history of Earth life, and ice cream cones and cotton candy, which are recent human inventions made to tickle our sweet tooth. Though I don't particularly care for Executes design either, it's just a bunch of eggs.

Chespin's design is pretty nasty. Although, Gen 6 seems consistently better than Gen 5. I really like Froakie's. He gon be my starter.

RomanceDawn

There is no Pokemon design that I hate or even dislike. When I was younger I used to think many of them looked stupid, especially in gen 3, but once I understood the inspiration behind each and their given names I was able to appreciate what the designers were going for.

I think the Blob Fish and Proboscis Monkey look like characatures of a "typical" fish or monkey but that's real life and they just look different is all. So I kind of look at all the different Pokemon that way too.

CorvoSol

Mega Charizard is pretty good. Mega Mewtwo will never be as cool as OG Mewtwo. Fuck Dragon Ampharos on the grounds that a sheep became a dragon but not the goddamn Charizard. Everything else is fine as far as I care.

People hating on Chansey's design boggles.

Toxi

Banned
There's a difference between eggs, which have been prevalent and present for a long time in the history of Earth life, and ice cream cones and cotton candy, which are recent human inventions made to tickle our sweet tooth. Though I don't particularly care for Executes design either, it's just a bunch of eggs.
So then do you have a problem with Diglett, which is based on a whack-a-mole? Are naturally occurring whack-a-moles just more sensible than naturally occurring ice cream cones? How about naturally occurring mimes? Have mimes been prevalent and present for a long time in the history of Earth life?

God, the weird logical hoops Pokemon fans force themselves through to convince themselves that the newer designs are "worse".

People hating on Chansey's design boggles.
Who's hating on Chansey's design? I'm just joking about the people complaining about "variety" when there were five pink blobs in Generation 1.

Wigglytuff's my personal favorite of the pink blobs thanks to that awesome Green sprite.
Spr_1g_040.png

Top Bottom