• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about the Gen 6 Pokemon designs? (Gif/Pic warning)

Espada

What's the deal with Mewtwo? Is that a form or evolution? Is it still unknown?

It's a new form.

Anyway, I really like the variety of colors and shapes among them. Of course it's too early to say that this generation will have mostly excellent designs. People really need to tone down their expectations to avoid getting burned.

Froakie, Yveltal, Clauncher, and Noivern are my favorites thus far.

SYNTAX182

I gotta hand it to these devs. For how long the series has existed, it's pretty amazing how they can consistently release memorable designs.

The more I look at these new ones, the more I like them. I hope their shinies look great.

I hope there's an equivalent of the Shiny Charm in X and Y so I can waste countless hours breeding to get shinies of these Pokemon.

I hope none of them have the equivalent of Garchomp's shiny form.

With the exception of the new Mewtwo form, I can honestly say that I haven't found myself impressed with any of the new Pokemon in the least. Maybe I'm just not as impressed with new Pokemon in general because a new batch of Pokemon isn't as "special" of a thing as it used to be (what with Gen VI arriving so quickly after V)?

Or maybe they really are just unimpressive? I dunno, but I hope this isn't a sign of what's to come.

They just don't give a fuck anymore, *sigh*

Responses like this piss me the fuck off. Especially since nothing outta gen I was clever or complex. Pretty much just animals with some mods. The nostalgia in me keeps gen one in first place design wise but to imply that the creators dont give a fuck anymore is blantantly false. Seriously. Who do some posters think they are calling devs lazy?

harmonize

(what with Gen VI arriving so quickly after V)?
I'd imagine not having a Pokemon on their new handheld hasn't really bode well for hardware sales; they need that upward spike pronto, especially for the North American market.

And it's not all that soon after V, the transition between II and III was shorter than this.

GhaleonQ

It looks like I'm coming down with the consensus. I love the palettes and a lot of the "patterns." They feel more modern than the cute, simple primary colors and shapes of early monsters. However, I feel like the shapes and overall structure of the monsters leaves something to be desired. They don't look like animals. They look like notebook doodles.

Notebook doodles can be cool-looking, however, and I think they are reasonably "cool." I'm very optimistic for this batch.

I like this thing

qx0.png

It's 3 years between Black/White and X/Y in Japan. The generation gap only feels short because of the simultaneous worldwide release for Gen 6.

Like every design except Sylveon and Newtwo. I don't completely hate Sylveon's design anymore, Newtwo remains an abomination.

Responses like this piss me the fuck off. Especially since nothing outta gen I was clever or complex. Pretty much just animals with some mods. The nostalgia in me keeps gen one in first place design wise but to imply that the creators dont give a fuck anymore is blantantly false. Seriously. Who do some posters think they are calling devs lazy?
That's why they were the best! No icecream cones!

Toxi

Banned
Grimer, Muk, Magnemite, and Magneton are all cool!

This thing is just wrong:

Other pokemon in GenVI were cool, but not BenAndJerryMon....
No, it's awesome. What's not awesome about an ice cream cone made of ice and snow? It's certainly not a more ridiculous idea than a floating metal eye with magnets and screws attached.

I'd also argue it's plenty cool.
Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all night.

qx0.png

Is that suppose to be the final evolution of Woobat?

If so, Woobat redeemed.

It isn't supposed to be the final evolution of Woobat. It's Flying/Dragon, for one thing, its theme is sound instead of "<3", and its color scheme is way different. I like Woobat's evolution anyways.

Scatterbug line looks Paper Mario-esque

The only two I don't like are Helioptile and Litleo. Something about them just looks...off. I think it's the eyes. Other than that they all look great. Dat majestic Xerneas.

Also Scatterbug and Talonflame are pretty bad names.

There's not been a single one I didn't like. They've been good about having good about their silouettes being strong; this is a make-or-breaker.

The only two I don't like are Helioptile and Litleo. Something about them just looks...off.

There's a reason I put them next to each other :p

They might even be Pokemon 'twins', further evidenced by their 'XXX/normal' typing. Maybe they'll be early Pokemon, maybe they'll be version exclusives.

Shoyz

Everything apart from Mewtwo and the Eeveelution are okay.

The Mewtwo and Eeveelution are godawful. I wish they'd stop touching the originals.

Outside of Clauncher and Noivern, I think they look awful.

Edit: Gogoat is not terrible either, but I can't say I like it. Also this is two gens in a row where I'm going to have to instabox my starter.

man i hate icecreammon as well but trubbish is top tier

I don't think the Vaniluxe line is any worse than the Trubbish or Magemite lines, to be honest. I think that the ice-cream ones also get a lot of unfair hate purely because they were designed by James Turner, but I know you've not said that yourself.

It's interesting to me that they've not shown off anything like that line though - the real WTF ones like Magnemite, Flitwik, Wobbufett, and so on.

The Mewtwo and Eeveelution are godawful. I wish they'd stop touching the originals.

Yeah, but then Tangela, Mamoswine, and Togetic wouldn't have become awesome.

Sponge

Banned
Grimer, Muk, Magnemite, and Magneton are all cool!

This thing is just wrong:
584Vanilluxe.png

Other pokemon in GenVI were cool, but not BenAndJerryMon....

You do know that thing is just an icicle made to look like an ice cream cone? I don't see the big deal about Vanilluxe.

He has Slime's face for crying out loud, how can you not love him?

slime7910.jpg

Top Bottom