• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about the Gen 6 Pokemon designs? (Gif/Pic warning)

malamar.png
qx0.png

Malamar and Noivern are the best of the lot, IMO. My favorite Pokemon designs in a long while. They both have a guaranteed spot in my first party.

brinstar

the only design of the new ones that I find boring is Bunnelby. But I suppose it isn't really meant to be exciting.

And I don't get the whole dictation of what a Pokemon can or can't be.

And I don't get the whole dictation of what a Pokemon can or can't be.

The thing is that a 'Pokemon' is literally whatever Game Freak decides. It is as arbitrary as that.

I think it is unreasonable, verging on irrational, to expect to like every single design that they put out. I also think it's irrational for people to cry foul over the entire bestiary over one or even twenty designs you don't like. There are over 700 designs, made by dozens of people, designed over 20 years. You're probably not going to like all of them; it's only natural.

I think it's foolish to decry new designs based on this and that as not being real or worthy Pokemon when Ditto has existed since the first generation. Yes, I know he has a concept/gimmick behind him. So does Vanillite. It does not improve Ditto's actual design - it is literally a squiggly line with the smiley face of a stick figure.

Rant over, taking deep breath.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
When did the mega versions of pokemon gen 1 starters get announced?

They look terrible. Especially Blastoise. Charizard is passable.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
I think it's foolish to decry new designs based on this and that as not being real or worthy Pokemon when Ditto has existed since the first generation. Yes, I know he has a concept/gimmick behind him. So does Vanillite. It does not improve Ditto's actual design - it is literally a squiggly line with the smiley face of a stick figure.
Some concepts are more justified than others (IMO of course). If we're judging them only by design then yeah Ditto sucks. It's like a toddlers doodle. If we factor in the story behind the design then it works. Ditto looks so bad because it can transform into anything and instantly look better. Ok, that's pretty cool. He looks lame but it makes sense. With Vanillite and evolutions the design intentions are so obvious that it's ridiculousness outweighs the concept. The defenders will say Vanillite is a fallen icicle and snow has piled on top but we all know it was designed to look like an ice cream cone. It's design is so blatant and far fetched that I cannot take it seriously.

For each pokemon there is a concept and a design. Different people will attribute different weights to each for different pokemon and come to different conclusions.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Honestly just ignore people when they say "what a real Pokemon is". It's a fanboy prattle that makes you want to hate the fanbase/parts of the would-be fanbase.

WTF there's a "Mega" Charizard now? Charizard is already badass enough.

I dunno, I actually think it needs a Mega to survive nowadays :p

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I feel that they look kinda dopey. It is the round eyes. In Gen 1 the eyes were rarely circles.

I've been trying to figure out why I hate all the pokemon from DS/3DS and this is basically it.

They all look like they're the product of Ditto sex.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I've been trying to figure out why I hate all the pokemon from DS/3DS and this is basically it.

They all look like they're the product of Ditto sex.

Erm what, just by looking at the Kalos starters alone we got different eyes.

Hell if anything, Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur all share the same "wide, concave" eyes. It took Gen 3 to make the mons different in eyes. And no, 2 doesn't count just because Cyndaquil has a case of Brock.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Erm what, just by looking at the Kalos starters alone we got different eyes.

Hell if anything, Squirtle, Charmander and Bulbasaur all share the same "wide, concave" eyes. It took Gen 3 to make the mons different in eyes. And no, 2 doesn't count just because Cyndaquil has a case of Brock.

Yes. Different, round eyes.

RomanceDawn

I hate Talonflame's name. That's the only major critique I have of Gen 6.

This is by far the worst thing revealed to us so far. Two words, no pun like combination it just seems so lazy compared to everything else we've seen so far. Even Krabby and Dewgong seem more creative name wise.

Though if there is some explanation on the name I might buy it. Just like Altaria at one time, I may be missing the point of reference beyond the obvious.

EDIT
I just read a possible origin. Instead of just Talon and Flame some think it could be Talon and Inflame. That isn't so bad the more I think about it.

Updated the OP with the latest batch of Pokemon. This could be, and probably is, the final group of Pokemon we'll know about before release leaks start happening. By my count, we have 37 brand new Pokemon (including Orotto), which is about as many as was revealed during Ruby & Sapphire's pre-release. Although not a direct correlation, the number of Pokemon released before does have a lose relation to the amount of new Pokemon in the generation (DP had ~28, BW had ~50), so I reckon we'll see somewhere between 120 and 140 new Pokemon when all is said and done, but we don't know how, or if, the Mega Evolutions are going to affect that number. We already know about 12 of them.

Overall, I'm very happy with the designs of the new Pokemon. DI espite initial shock/disappointment even Quilladin has grown on me, and I think I will stick with Chespin as my starter.

27.jpg

26.jpg

I also appreciate that switching to 3D models has allowed some new experimentation with things like Meowstic's ear/eyes, Braixen's fire-wand, Furfrou's coat, and Helioptile's frill; concepts that would have been difficult to convey, even with BW's moving sprites.

Maedhros

Chespin evo looks like fucking garbage. Terrible, terrible evolution. I hope the third saves it.

Fennekin evo is... meh

Froakie evo remains the best. I hope it continues going this way.

Jarekx

Man, I'm already having trouble choosing a team just based on these designs. I want to use too many of them!

Gen VI is shaping up so very nicely!

Forkball

I think they're quite good. I actually like the sword, and the fighting panda looks amazing. The 3D models should suit these new designs well.

Camjo-Z

Ugh, Dedenne. I wish they'd stop putting Pikachu clones into every generation, Pichu was ok since he was actually related to Pikachu and Plusle & Minun were to show off double battles I guess, but Pachirisu was just useless and Emolga even more so since he looked exactly like Pachirisu but wasn't related in any way.

Not too many I'm in love with yet but at least there haven't been any I especially dislike so far, which is more than I can say for some of Gen 5's 'Mons. Klingklang and Cryogonal didn't even look like they were living things let alone Pokemon, and Druddigon is probably my least favorite Pokemon design of all time. Literally looks like a kid's crayon drawing got turned into an official design.

DigitalOp

Banned
PSY・S;82107721 said:
Quilladin looks much better in 3D.

I have to agree. Doesn't look as bad anymore but the Pignite resemblance is uncanny....

Idk why I picked such an infernal thing in B/W... Its so basic... Boring... Uninspired.. Hands down the worst starter Ive ever picked in my Pokemon history...

Im def going Samurott in my replay for X/Y transfer...

Mr-Joker

Banned
Chespin's EVO reminds me of Crash Bandicoot for some reason.

It's because of the nose, hair and ear.

Ugh, Dedenne. I wish they'd stop putting Pikachu clones into every generation, Pichu was ok since he was actually related to Pikachu and Plusle & Minun were to show off double battles I guess, but Pachirisu was just useless and Emolga even more so since he looked exactly like Pachirisu but wasn't related in any way.

Pachirisu isn't unless as it has a high special defence, which surprised me in my Pearl play through and Emolga is going to be uber in sky battle.

Not too many I'm in love with yet but at least there haven't been any I especially dislike so far, which is more than I can say for some of Gen 5's 'Mons. Klingklang and Cryogonal didn't even look like they were living things let alone Pokemon

I love it how you just mention the gen 5 Pokémon but completely ignore the gen 1 Pokémon.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
As usual, hit and miss. But those cotton candies, Litleo and Dedene can't detract from some of the really fucking awesome additions. Tyrunt! Pangoro! Malamar! Froakie's evolution! Mega Blaziken! Xerneas! And a whole bunch more!

So, yeah par for the course really.

Camjo-Z said:
Druddigon is probably my least favorite Pokemon design of all time. Literally looks like a kid's crayon drawing got turned into an official design.

He's my favourite of the 5th gen! Something about his... basicness, compared to some of the other Dragon Pokemon that now exist, really appeals to me. Also for some reason he reminds me of these things:

tumblr_lls3grtgQw1qg7pqbo1_400.jpg

Josephl64

The only ones I really like are:

-Fennekin and evo
-Xerveas and Yveltal
-Fletchling and evo
-Pancham and evo
-Clauncher
-Helioptile
-Furfrou

At least this gen seems to be better with designs than the last gen which I skipped out on

Camjo-Z

Pachirisu isn't unless as it has a high special defence, which surprised me in my Pearl play through and Emolga is going to be uber in sky battle.

I'm referring more to the general design. Cute, small electric rodent with black dot eyes, pointy ears, and colored cheeks.

It's based off of a lizard with the same color scheme, red head and all. It's my favorite Pokemon BTW...

He's my favourite of the 5th gen!

I'm glad someone likes that thing! Hey, one of my favorites from Gen 5 was Vanilluxe, so clearly nobody need pay attention to what I think looks good. Is it really based off a real lizard though? I checked Bulbapedia but didn't see anything.

Emolga is the best electic mouse/small animal though.

Oh, by "useless" I didn't actually mean useless in battling, I meant that I didn't understand why they just ripped off Pika's design instead of doing something new. Probably should have made that clearer. Pachirisu is personally my favorite of the bunch.

Not too many I'm in love with yet but at least there haven't been any I especially dislike so far, which is more than I can say for some of Gen 5's 'Mons. Klingklang and Cryogonal didn't even look like they were living things let alone Pokemon, and Druddigon is probably my least favorite Pokemon design of all time. Literally looks like a kid's crayon drawing got turned into an official design.

Emolga is the best electic mouse/small animal though.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
I'm glad someone likes that thing! Hey, one of my favorites from Gen 5 was Vanilluxe, so clearly nobody need pay attention to what I think looks good.

Don't worry, we're both leagues better than Mr. Mime fans. I knew one in college. That was a dark time.

Toxi

Banned
I can't imagine what sort of cold, dead heart someone must have to hate a Pokemon because it looks like ice cream. Not because it's ugly, not because it's uncreative, not because it's plain, but because it looks like ice cream. Thank God it's not those boring assholes designing new Pokemon. Otherwise we wouldn't have gotten cool shit like Magnemite.

Also, Malamar's my favorite design now. I have never seen a cartoon squid portrayed in that hilarious upside down manner. It makes Malamar look like an evil penguin.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I'm referring more to the general design. Cute, small electric rodent with black dot eyes, pointy ears, and colored cheeks.

I'm glad someone likes that thing! Hey, one of my favorites from Gen 5 was Vanilluxe, so clearly nobody need pay attention to what I think looks good. Is it really based off a real lizard though? I checked Bulbapedia but didn't see anything.

Oh, by "useless" I didn't actually mean useless in battling, I meant that I didn't understand why they just ripped off Pika's design instead of doing something new. Probably should have made that clearer. Pachirisu is personally my favorite of the bunch.

Emolga doesn't really look like pikachu. Also flying squirrels are awesome.

Meier

I'm always hugely impressed by the art for the monsters. There's a comfort level there in the overall softness of their design. Great color palette.

LordGouda

I want Chespin, Noivern... Hell, I want them all!

The problem is I want a Chespin, but I also want a Bulbasaur... :( Help me, Gaf! I don't want to keep using Charizard. Maybe a Blastoise? Definitely. Thanks for doing nothing, Gaf! :p

The problem is I want a Chespin, but I also want a Bulbasaur... :( Help me, Gaf! I don't want to keep using Charizard. Maybe a Blastoise? Definitely. Thanks for doing nothing, Gaf! :p

I'm going BulbaPin as well. Screw type coverage; Venusaur is amazing and MegaSaur's ability is going to make it an excellent tank and wallbreaker.

New designs are all ace, in my opinion. Helioptile, Malamar and Quilladin have got to be my favourites though. Two of 'em are adorable and one is wicked in both type and appearance.

Yveltal and Pangoro are my favorite X/Y designs so far, but they are all pretty good.

I'll admit I was kind of a genwunner when I first returned to Pokémon a few years ago, but the modern designs have grown on me.

That said, I don't know why people complain about the art design of the new Pokémon so much. If you don't like them, just use the old ones; they're all still there.

The only thing i dislike about XY is thst they put gen 1 starters in. I already played so many pokemon games with charizard i don't want to anymore but i just know Im going to pick him and level him up instead of a cool new one :(

Y'alls are crazy, why would you even mess with keeping the Gen 1 starter on your main team? I want some new Pokemon, yo. I'll level up the Squirtle later to get Mega Blastoise, but definitely not for the main story.

So far it looks like as a whole the Pokemon designs in X/Y are going to be my favorite since Gold/Silver.

Tyrunt might be my favorite fossil Pokemon design ever.

Top Bottom