• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about the Gen 6 Pokemon designs? (Gif/Pic warning)

I've been pleased with all designs thus far, save for this thing:

honedge.png

All Pokemon that are based on objects really bother me (including Pokeballs, magnets, chandeliers, et cetera). I mean, Pokemon was based on bug collecting, and the primary appeal to catching Pokemon is the imaginary bond with you and your lively critters, whereas I don't feel much life coming out of gears and such.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
So then do you have a problem with Diglett, which is based on a whack-a-mole? Are naturally occurring whack-a-moles just more sensible than naturally occurring ice cream cones? How about naturally occurring mimes? Have mimes been prevalent and present for a long time in the history of Earth life?
... We were talking about the food pokemon?

81.png

That magnet design...I mean come on. :p

Honedge is a brilliant design and concept in my view. It's very sharp. It's on the cutting edge of Pokémon design.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not biased to any one generation. All of these motherfuckers are retarded in my view:

160px-599Klink.png
200px-082Magneton.png
180px-609Chandelure.png
160px-101Electrode.png

P.S. Nice puns.

JoeM86

Don't get me wrong--I'm not biased to any one generation. All of these motherfuckers are retarded in my view:

160px-599Klink.png
200px-082Magneton.png
180px-609Chandelure.png
160px-101Electrode.png

P.S. Nice pun.
Ok, good. So many just insult the new generations because of these styles of Pokémon, when they have existed all the time.

Shengar

The Pokemon designs of Generation 6 is rather mixed for me. Some are excellent (Xerneas, Chespin, Clauncher, Noivern), some are decent (Ponchom, Vivilon), others are flawed (Silveon, Malamar), and borderline stupid (Fletchling, Scatterbug, MegaAbsol). I doubt it Gen 6 will surpassed or even just matching the excellencies of Gen 3 and Gen 5. This is like a cycle where odd numbered Gen Pokemon have excellent design while the even numbered are borderline horrible. They could prove me wrong though.

It bothers me how people act like Vanillite and its kin were the first Pokemon shaped like food. Did they just forget the psychic coconut seeds that conveniently look like chicken eggs?
exeggcute.jpg

Gen 2 and 4 are so fucking boring. Gold and Silver were good games, but the new Pokemon that came with them were a snore-fest. If Octillery and Forretress never existed, I'd probably consider Gen 2 worse than Gen 4.

Exeggcute evolved into a fucking dancing coconut, Vanillite stays ice cream all along. It bothers me, until somebody in GAF mentioned that they are actually ICICLES.
God blessed that user since I'm not despised that Ice Pokemon more than ever before.

Lord Phol

honedge.png

All Pokemon that are based on objects really bother me (including Pokeballs, magnets, chandeliers, et cetera). I mean, Pokemon was based on bug collecting, and the primary appeal to catching Pokemon is the imaginary bond with you and your lively critters, whereas I don't feel much life coming out of gears and such.

I get your point but I really like the sword and Chandelure is one of my favorites. Human-like pokemons like Mr Mime and Jynx on the other hand just freak me out.

Pretty much enjoy every 6th gen pokemon so far barring Swirlix and Spritzee.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The thing is though there's no such thing as "animated object" Pokemon.

Also Honedge is like one of the most creative Pokemon designed lately. Seriously, the blade itself creating a pseudo-face when sheathed is really cool.

Same with Klinklang (the gear). Yeah it is sticking another gear with it when it evolves, but see, unlike magnets, what do you think is the logical way to "improve" a gear? You add more to it.

Exeggcute evolved into a fucking dancing coconut, Vanillite stays ice cream all along. It bothers me, until somebody in GAF mentioned that they are actually ICICLES.
God blessed that user since I'm not despised that Ice Pokemon more than ever before.

Actually Exeggutor becomes a specific youkai - a tree that has human heads.

And stuff like that is common in Pokemon. Swirlix for instance is not a living cotton candy. Also I was probably that user. :p

... oh wow OP, I tip my hat to you. I honestly thought this would be a bitching thread. Yeah, they're great. Chespin in particular looks so good, and Fennec foxes are like my favorite animal so I love Fennekin.

Shengar

My man, for real?
Malamar is this right?
malamar.png

I like squids. They are my favorite sea animal, and that is the reason why Malamar design is flawed, not an outright stupid one. I like the color tone, and the tentacle, but the way they turn it upside-down make its two big tentacle act like an arm and walk on its cape become a major turn off for me. Instead of psychic-floating killer squid, Malamar looks like an evil professor or something, which is I think the design they aimed for. I could turn my head upside down, but that eye, "feet", and the beak wouldn't let me do so.
Actually Exeggutor becomes a specific youkai - a tree that has human heads.

And stuff like that is common in Pokemon. Swirlix for instance is not a living cotton candy. Also I was probably that user. :p
A youkai, that is actually better than dancing coconut. I also thought at first that Swirlix actually dandelion seeds, and I still think it as one. And that user is you after all, thank you for removing that salt over Vanillite design as living food. (though we already have Cherrim one generation before, but hey it at least from a fruit :p)
Don't you dare talk shit about malamar. :(

Probably my current favourite design.
I don't talk shit about it (yet). I have my own reasoning why I don't like it as I stated above, and I wouldn't shitting on anyone who love it.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Malamar is a goddamn evil wizard/mindflayer and that is awesome.

Also I was mostly kidding around. You can have whatever opinion you want. Just wanted to express my love for his design a bit. :p

Mind_flayer.jpg

BooJoh

honedge.png

I'm the complete opposite. I love Pokemon that are based on objects. Honedge is one of my favorites of Gen 6 so far. I loved the Klink line, Rotom and its forms.

But my tastes have always leaned toward the "techy" and the "medieval" since gen1 where my favorites were Porygon and Dragonite. Now I swear by Porygon2, found new runners-up in Escavalier and Klinklang, and Honedge just scratches that itch all over again.

Different strokes for different folks. There are going to be over 700 Pokemon now, nobody is going to like every single one, and every hated Pokemon will have someone out there who loves it.

nacimento

Gen 2 and 4 are so fucking boring. Gold and Silver were good games, but the new Pokemon that came with them were a snore-fest. If Octillery and Forretress never existed, I'd probably consider Gen 2 worse than Gen 4.

But gen 2 has Tyranitar, the GOAT.

160px-599Klink.png
200px-082Magneton.png
180px-609Chandelure.png
160px-101Electrode.png

P.S. Nice puns.

Magnet pokemon were based on the fact they lived in power plants (they were not forward thinking), sword pokemon makes no sense looking back or forth.

JoeM86

Magnet pokemon were based on the fact they lived in power plants, sword pokemon makes no sense

That's because you're ignoring the entire concept of it.

Honedge comes into being when a departed spirit possesses a sword that once belonged to humans. It can use the blue cloth attached to its hilt as nimbly as an arm. Pokémon Trainers who carelessly take this blade in hand may find the blue cloth wrapping itself around them and draining their energy!

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Malamar is this right?
malamar.png

I like squids. They are my favorite sea animal, and that is the reason why Malamar design is flawed, not an outright stupid one. I like the color tone, and the tentacle, but the way they turn it upside-down make its two big tentacle act like an arm and walk on its cape become a major turn off for me. Instead of psychic-floating killer squid, Malamar looks like an evil professor or something, which is I think the design they aimed for. I could turn my head upside down, but that eye, "feet", and the beak wouldn't let me do so.

A youkai, that is actually better than dancing coconut. I also thought at first that Swirlix actually dandelion seeds, and I still think it as one. And that user is you after all, thank you for removing that salt over Vanillite design as living food. (though we already have Cherrim one generation before, but hey it at least from a fruit :p)

Yeah Malamar is supposed to invoke the "mind flayer" feel. I thought it's pretty unique in that it uses the tentacles as "hair" than the usual mouth, and it uses the beak design commonly found in Japanese design. I just love the omnipresent evil look that fits its pokedex.

137747583708967phr.gif

Hahaha yeah, here's Jinmenju

sekienninmenjullxxp.jpg

Well, Cherrim is a cherry so there's that. :p

Swirlix looks like a poodle whose coat became tasty.

That's because you're ignoring the entire concept of it.

Honedge comes into being when a departed spirit possesses a sword that once belonged to humans. It can use the blue cloth attached to its hilt as nimbly as an arm. Pokémon Trainers who carelessly take this blade in hand may find the blue cloth wrapping itself around them and draining their energy!

Sword-mon: im your mom
cubone: mom!

Village

I see heathenistic anit hype ghost fire lantern talk in here.

Anyways i wanna see more sbout that snuck in poke in the R/B starter mega trailer

StayDead

Yeah Malamar is supposed to invoke the "mind flayer" feel. I thought it's pretty unique in that it uses the tentacles as "hair" than the usual mouth, and it uses the beak design commonly found in Japanese design. I just love the omnipresent evil look that fits its pokedex.

137747583708967phr.gif

Hahaha yeah, here's Jinmenju

File:SekienNinmenju.jpg

Well, Cherrim is a cherry so there's that. :p

Swirlix looks like a poodle whose coat became tasty.

Damn that GIF has completely restored my faith in Malamar. I love all the designs but had issues with him, but in that gif he looks like a total badass, damn!

sword pokemon makes no sense looking back or forth.

It's a ghost posessing a sword, not just a sword.

I do hope we start seeing more of the gen 6 new blood soon. The Mega Pokemon hype is cool and all but I've been digging the new generation designs (Pangoro, Malamar, Gogoat and Noivern look awesome) and want some more reveals leading up to release.
Also I will punch anyone for talking mess about Trubbish.

F7JaE2g.gif

Poison is my favorite type and the little guy is weirdly adorable on the show.

I'm not terribly impressed so far, but I really like the designs of Froakie, Talonflame, Gogoat, and Malamar. I'm definitely going to have at least two of those listed on my team

I do hope we start seeing more of the gen 6 new blood soon. The Mega Pokemon hype is cool and all but I've been digging the new generation designs (Pangoro, Malamar, Gogoat and Noivern look awesome) and want some more reveals leading up to release.

Last Corocoro before release should be coming any day now (release is the 14th this month). Should be at least a couple of new ones in there.

Zelias

Banned
Malimar is amazing and will definitely get a spot on my team just for its design alone. I love the whole Mindflayer vibe it has.

Honedge, Pangoro and Noivern are also excellent designs. The starters all look decent, though I prefer Fennekin out of them all. Clauncher looks neat and so does Gogoat.

The rest are meh to awful. Litleo is terrible, I hope its evos are better. Sylveon looks terrifyingly soulless. The Megas are a mixed bag - Mega Absol, Ampharos, Charizard and Blastoise (dat goatee) are all nice, but the other designs don't do anything for me really, though Mega Kangaskhan is a neat concept.

Christopher

I just like the more organic ones that seem like animals and with simple designs. The Frog one for instance is really great.

Kazerei

Banned
Helioptile's evolution is going to be super badass, I can feel it. Pancham and the starters are cute, but the rest of the designs are kinda meh. I suppose they'll grow on me.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I'm always pissed in these topics because the Pokemon brought up as being "the worst of Gen 1" are the ones I like, Magnemite, Grimer, Voltorb, Mr. Mime, I love those dudes, same with the new ones in the same vein.

My only problem with Kling and Vanillite are that there final evolutions aren't different enough (although it's very Retro Gen 1 in that way, plus it makes sense a bit given what they're based on), but I love those motherfuckers. Have you used Klingklang before? Dude is pretty ripped, it took down like half of the B2 E4 for me with Gear Shift + Gear Grind.

Top Bottom