• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Can we talk about the Gen 6 Pokemon designs? (Gif/Pic warning)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, Tyrunt is tied with Noivern for my most favorite Gen VI mon (Chespin is my favorite Gen VI starter, but not my favorite Gen VI mon :p)

ash_ag

StreetsAhead, dude, I just entered the thread after a while and saw the updated OP with all Gen VI Pokémon gathered. Oh man, my hype is high right now.

Camjo-Z

Y'alls are crazy, why would you even mess with keeping the Gen 1 starter on your main team? I want some new Pokemon, yo. I'll level up the Squirtle later to get Mega Blastoise, but definitely not for the main story.

I refuse to use older Pokemon on my team in new games. I was going to use Chingling in D/P but then realized it would eventually become a filthy heathen Chimecho, and I wasn't having any of that. My X/Y Bulbasaur is going straight in the box until I finish the game!

i really dont like them... its funny to see the current style try to be implemented into the old designs of venusaur/charizard/blastoise... it just doesnt work...the gen 1+2 style had so much more variation and personality in the designs than the current ones.

there are a couple i liked and then i see the evolution and just lose hope.

Hedge

I'm really split. I love the design of Mewtwo Y, but I don't quite like Y-legendary as much as X-legendary. :C

Can't say I'm loving them for the most part :/

Which sucks cause I LOVED EVERYONE in the 5th gen (beside the starters and thatone Dragon legendary Karumie or w/e ... ugly fuck)

The Fox is gonna be my starter if the mid stage evolves follow through to the final forms (she looks like a Magic girl ... would be interesting if she's the first to have a gender difference model like the Lion. One is a Wizard and the other a Witch or something!).

Toxi

Banned
i really dont like them... its funny to see the current style try to be implemented into the old designs of venusaur/charizard/blastoise... it just doesnt work...the gen 1+2 style had so much more variation and personality in the designs than the current ones.

there are a couple i liked and then i see the evolution and just lose hope.
Do I need to bring up the 5 pink fat fairies and two purple blobs again? How about the three evolutions that were just sticking the previous form together, or the hilarious transition from "spiral-bellied polliwog" to "spiral-bellied polliwog with angry eyes"?

I think when people speak of "variation and personality", what they really mean is "They were the Pokemon in the games I played as a kid."

(I do prefer Sugimori's older art style, but that has nothing to do with the Pokemon's actual sprites or designs)

Jezan

That's because you're ignoring the entire concept of it.

Honedge comes into being when a departed spirit possesses a sword that once belonged to humans. It can use the blue cloth attached to its hilt as nimbly as an arm. Pokémon Trainers who carelessly take this blade in hand may find the blue cloth wrapping itself around them and draining their energy!
And that's the problem I have with it, why all Honedge Pokemon possess a sword? when it would be easier to drain energy if they possessed something else commonly used by humans, like a cellphone but then that would clash with Rotom design. But if all Honedge Pokemon are classified as Honedge because they possess a sword, then where is that same species ghost possessing other stuff, wait maybe Rotom and Honedge are the same kind of ghost possessing different stuff? Banette? What is Ghost type?

Honedge and Litleo are the only ones I don't like.

Edit: Is "possess" used correctly? My brain hurts now

(I do prefer Sugimori's older art style, but that has nothing to do with the Pokemon's actual sprites or designs)

I was wondering if this was just me. Gen I has my favorite art style, but there are more individual monster designs that I like in Gen II.
And in Gen IV, please don't hurt me.

Toxi

Banned
I was wondering if this was just me. Gen I has my favorite art style, but there are more individual monster designs that I like in Gen II.
And in Gen IV, please don't hurt me.
Everything looks better in old Sugimori-style art.
tumblr_lmojp0q7hI1qjiyxdo1_500.jpg

And that's the problem I have with it, why all Honedge Pokemon possess a sword? when it would be easier to drain energy if they possessed something else commonly used by humans, like a cellphone but then that would clash with Rotom design. But if all Honedge Pokemon are classified as Honedge because they possess a sword, then where is that same species ghost possessing other stuff, wait maybe Rotom and Honedge are the same kind of ghost possessing different stuff? Banette? What is Ghost type?

Honedge and Litleo are the only ones I don't like.

Edit: Is "possess" used correctly? My brain hurts now
Maybe Honedges are the spirits of people buried with their swords, ala Yamask possessing its burial mask.

Ran rp

I have to agree. Doesn't look as bad anymore but the Pignite resemblance is uncanny....

Idk why I picked such an infernal thing in B/W... Its so basic... Boring... Uninspired.. Hands down the worst starter Ive ever picked in my Pokemon history...

Im def going Samurott in my replay for X/Y transfer...

Quilladin looks like a fusion of Chespin + Gengar to me.

Now that we finally have goats, lions, squids, frill-necked lizards and T-Rexes, I'm hoping we'll also get a combination of flamingos, peacocks, koalas, and dolphins too. Any others? I know proboscus monkeys are commonly requested.

the gen 1+2 style had so much more variation and personality in the designs than the current ones.

35.png
39.png

61.png
62.png

82.png
51.png

91.png
92.png

dat variation.

I know we have the other thread for Tyrantrum/Aurorus discussion, just updated the OP for completeness (aka OCD).

Seriously, though, a T-Rex Pokemon called Tyrantrum that looks like a King?
It. Works. So. Well. It. Hurts.

tyrantrum.png

Gen 6, if you keep it up, you might be my favorite gen.

Neiteio

I know we have the other thread for Tyrantrum/Aurorus discussion, just updated the OP for completeness (aka OCD).

Seriously, though, a T-Rex Pokemon called Tyrantrum that looks like a King?
It. Works. So. Well. It. Hurts.

tyrantrum.png

Gen 6, if you keep it up, you might be my favorite gen.
I love this design! The sharply defined jawline; the dimensionality to the brow and beard, which evoke a king's crown and collar, respectively; the layers to the limbs and tail, like craggy fault-lines; and the mesmerizing repetition of hexagonal scales colored red and gold, like sediment layers. PERFECTION.

Top Bottom