• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

College Football 2016 Week Twelve: Why bother? Just give tOSU the trophy.

K.Sabot

How though, the committee had already written louisville out

there was a road for louisville, it's gone now.

as for how it makes things interesting, that gives Oklahoma 2 quality losses
KuGsj.gif

espn reporting this like the media when trump won

Seeing as Oliver is a true freshman, and we don't know the extent of the knee injury, I don't see how he's done as of tonight playing for this team.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
How though, the committee had already written louisville out
I'm really not understanding this disrespect card you Louisville fans have been playing. You were ranked 5th, with two weeks left in the season. Of the four teams ranked above you, one is undefeated and another is the team in your same division who beat you. The other two will play each other next weekend. Were you guaranteed a spot in the playoffs? No. Did you need things to fall your way for you to get in? Yes, but this is college football. Crazy shit happens. Ask Oke State fans. You couldn't have been better positioned given who you'd lost to.

I'm really not understanding this disrespect card you Louisville fans have been playing. You were ranked 5th, with two weeks left in the season. Of the four teams ranked above you, one is undefeated and another is the team in your same division who beat you. The other two will play each other next weekend. Were you guaranteed a spot in the playoffs? No. Did you need things to fall your way for you to get in? Yes, but this is college football. Crazy shit happens. Ask Oke State fans. You couldn't have been better positioned given who you'd lost to.
The comittee not moving the wolverines at all after losing to an unranked Iowa basically put their cards on the table, they would take 2 big ten teams before us, even if it had to be a two loss team, that's why

Sheesh. As an Alabama fan, I was kinda hoping Lamar Jackson and his game-breaking ability stayed far the hell away from the playoffs, but I'd hate to see this game cost him the Heisman. Dude's electric.

Also, this is my first post on GAF, so, hi everyone :)

mre

The comittee not moving the wolverines at all after losing to an unranked Iowa basically put their cards on the table, they would take 2 big ten teams before us, even if it had to be a two loss team, that's why
I don't think that's a reasonable way to look at it. The 2 B1G teams in front of you still had to play each other, and one of them is going to be completely out of it after next weekend. Your biggest roadblock wasn't from the B1G teams, but rather Clemson. Barring a complete melt down, I don't see any argument for both Clemson and Louisville being in the 4 team playoff. You needed Clemson to lose and not be the ACC champ. Of course, it's all a moot point now anyhow.

Sheesh. As an Alabama fan, I was kinda hoping Lamar Jackson and his game-breaking ability stayed far the hell away from the playoffs, but I'd hate to see this game cost him the Heisman. Dude's electric.

Also, this is my first post on GAF, so, hi everyone :)

There was a segment on the video screen at my local gas station with Scott Van Pelt stumping for Louisville because he wants teams in the playoff that face Alabama to be teams that actually have Quarterbacks.

Of the teams ahead of Louisville in the most recent poll, the only one I would deem lacking in a QB is Michigan (even with a healthy Wilson Speight).

Even if you extend it beyond the teams ahead of the Louisville, I think the only other two teams that could be lumped into this were Penn State and Wisconsin, and Wisconsin has shown that they don't really need top level QB play to win.

Frankly I don't think there is any QB in CFB good enough to beat this incarnation of Alabama without help.

There was a segment on the video screen at my local gas station with Scott Van Pelt stumping for Louisville because he wants teams in the playoff that face Alabama to be teams that actually have Quarterbacks.

Of the teams ahead of Louisville in the most recent poll, the only one I would deem lacking in a QB is Michigan (even with a healthy Wilson Speight).

Even if you extend it beyond the teams ahead of the Louisville, I think the only other two teams that could be lumped into this were Penn State and Wisconsin, and Wisconsin has shown that they don't really need top level QB play to win.

Frankly I don't think there is any QB in CFB good enough to beat this incarnation of Alabama without help.

I agree on you about Michigan. I think we'd beat them about as bad as we've beat anyone this season. I still have a lot of respect for Deshaun Watson and Clemson, but I don't think their defense can measure up to last year's unit. Ohio State is the only squad in the country that I think has any sort of shot at beating us, and I'm not even really worried about them. For all the credit JT Barrett gets, I don't see him being an effective passer against us. This isn't the 2013-14 edition of the Bama defense that was extremely susceptible to the deep ball (though it is still the team's only real relative weakness).

Lamar was the only wild card, and he's out of the picture now.

Herman is gone, Oliver will be as well

Herman maybe but it would honestly have to be a top tier school. Texas yes. LSU yes. Auburn yes. I can't think of any other schools he would leave for that will probably have a coaching job open. Notre Dame and Tennessee should be open but they won't be. Oliver isn't going anywhere.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Herman maybe but it would honestly have to be a top tier school. Texas yes. LSU yes. Auburn yes. I can't think of any other schools he would leave for that will probably have a coaching job open. Notre Dame and Tennessee should be open but they won't be. Oliver isn't going anywhere.

If LSU steals Jimbo we would accept Kissing Tom with open arms despite his dreadful past associations.

I don't think that's a reasonable way to look at it. The 2 B1G teams in front of you still had to play each other, and one of them is going to be completely out of it after next weekend. Your biggest roadblock wasn't from the B1G teams, but rather Clemson. Barring a complete melt down, I don't see any argument for both Clemson and Louisville being in the 4 team playoff. You needed Clemson to lose and not be the ACC champ. Of course, it's all a moot point now anyhow.
So the comittee doesn't consider loses to unranked teams if your a traditional power, and you get credit for a game you haven't played yet? Why even bother with the appearance of a selection committee, just put bama, Ohio st as permanent 1 and 2 even if they have losing seasons

andycapps

So the comittee doesn't consider loses to unranked teams if your a traditional power, and you get credit for a game you haven't played yet? Why even bother with the appearance of a selection committee, just put bama, Ohio st as permanent 1 and 2 even if they have losing seasons

The committee should have dropped Michigan after their loss. At least some. To have the same ranking after losing a game to a team you're favored by 24.5 points is inexcusable.

The committee should have dropped Michigan after their loss. At least some. To have the same ranking after losing a game to a team you're favored by 24.5 points is inexcusable.

I agree honestly OSU should have dropped more when they lost maybe another spot or two as well as Clemson/UM dropping a few more. I get why they didn't I would still put them ahead of Louisville and Washington so then it's kind of like well what can we do?

Complaining about Michigan not dropping in a weekend where 2-4 all lost is honestly kinda stupid. Up to that point, there was enough of a cushion between the top 4 and everyone else in the country that it hardly mattered. They were ranked where they should've been; even with the loss, they had more top 25 wins than Louisville did, and anyone who'd been paying attention knew Louisville probably had another loss coming. Is what it is.

Complaining about Michigan not dropping in a weekend where 2-4 all lost is honestly kinda stupid. Up to that point, there was enough of a cushion between the top 4 and everyone else in the country that it hardly mattered. They were ranked where they should've been; even with the loss, they had more top 25 wins than Louisville did, and anyone who'd been paying attention knew Louisville probably had another loss coming. Is what it is.
Losing to an unranked team should drop you no less then 3 spots, but the comittee picks their top 4 and forms the rest of the top 25 to justify it, so when 3 of their top 4 lost at the same time it became impossible to do so, so let's just not move 1, and swap #2 and 4

You couldn't really drop anyone that wasn't Washington last week though. Can't have Clemson under Louisville. Sure, drop Michigan, but their resume was still better than y'all's. They've got good wins and blowout performances, while y'all were going to the wire with UVA and Duke.

This is all moot now, anyways, but no one had it out for Louisville. Their resume just didn't hold up.

cdyhybrid

You couldn't really drop anyone that wasn't Washington last week though. Can't have Clemson under Louisville. Sure, drop Michigan, but their resume was still better than y'all's. They've got good wins and blowout performances, while y'all were going to the wire with UVA and Duke.

This is all moot now, anyways, but no one had it out for Louisville. Their resume just didn't hold up.
You can't drop anyone except the team that actually lost to a ranked opponent?

🙄

Well…yeah. Everyone else had multiple top 25 wins. I think Washington had 1, and there were already doubts that their performance wasn't just a product of their schedule. *shrug*

I could see if Washington had made a game of it, but they were pretty definitively beat. I think if they win out, they have a great argument, but hey. Gotta win your games.

cdyhybrid

Well…yeah. Everyone else had multiple top 25 wins. I think Washington had 1, and there were already doubts that their performance wasn't just a product of their schedule. *shrug*

I could see if Washington had made a game of it, but they were pretty definitively beat. I think if they win out, they have a great argument, but hey. Gotta win your games*.
*Unless you play in the B1G or ACC. UW had a better win than Louisville but that didn't matter.

There's two weeks left and a lot will happen, and if UW wins out they should be in, but... The playoff arguments are so stupid. There's no rhyme or reason or consistency to any of them. Which is what they want, since the only one that actually matters is the last one - the other ones are just media fodder.

If you (not you specifically, I'm speaking generally) want to argue this bullshit at least be consistent and not a complete homer. That's all I ask.

This isn't about louisville, it's about how the comittee picks who they want and have zero accountability, the bcs would be a better system just go to 4 teams there. Obviously I want 8 team playoff but more then that after last week it's clear the rankings are nothing more then biased opinions that get to pick and choose what they publicly say are factors to justify their pucks that week

*Unless you play in the B1G or ACC. UW had a better win than Louisville but that didn't matter.

There's two weeks left and a lot will happen, and if UW wins out they should be in, but... The playoff arguments are so stupid. There's no rhyme or reason or consistency to any of them. Which is what they want, since the only one that actually matters is the last one - the other ones are just media fodder.

If you (not you specifically, I'm speaking generally) want to argue this bullshit at least be consistent and not a complete homer. That's all I ask.

Y'all pick a different conference that's favored every season lol. I'm of a mind that the SEC typically has the most talent, and even I don't think you can argue the B1G was the best conference this year. (I think Louisville's FSU win was definitely better than Washington's Utah win anyways).

This is always going to happen, which is why expanding to 8 teams doesn't really make a lick of sense. We'll just start arguing about the number 7-10 teams. Year in and year out, there has never been a team in college football ranked 7-10 at the end of a season that had a legit claim to the title. I'd argue the same is true of teams 4-6 most years too.

cdyhybrid

Y'all pick a different conference that's favored every season lol. I'm of a mind that the SEC typically has the most talent, and even I don't think you can argue the B1G was the best conference this year. (I think Louisville's FSU win was definitely better than Washington's Utah win anyways).

This is always going to happen, which is why expanding to 8 teams doesn't really make a lick of sense. We'll just start arguing about the number 7-10 teams. Year in and year out, there has never been a team in college football ranked 7-10 at the end of a season that had a legit claim to the title. I'd argue the same is true of teams 4-6 most years too.
It's not about conferences. It's about saying you have to win your games in the same breath where you say Michigan losing shouldn't matter when it comes to rankings. It's lunacy.

There is no best way to do this. The only way to truly know who the best team is is to decide it on the field. So put as many teams in there as possible and let them figure it out on the field.

I think the eventual sweet spot is 16 teams, but it will take forever to get there, 8 teams is the minimum where you are going to weigh teams from the power 5 more then other confrrences, you need atleast 3 at large spots for non p5 teams to possibly snag. If your the best team in college football 1 more game to win shouldn't be a deal breaker correct?

cdyhybrid

I think the eventual sweet spot is 16 teams, but it will take forever to get there, 8 teams is the minimum where you are going to weigh teams from the power 5 more then other confrrences, you need atleast 3 at large spots for non p5 teams to possibly snag. If your the best team in college football 1 more game to win shouldn't be a deal breaker correct?
Larger amounts of playoff berths would also allow for guaranteed berths for conference champions. In basketball, you know you're in if you win your conference. If you don't, you're leaving it up to a committee, which is your own fault for not playing better.

mre

This isn't about louisville, it's about how the comittee picks who they want and have zero accountability, the bcs would be a better system just go to 4 teams there. Obviously I want 8 team playoff but more then that after last week it's clear the rankings are nothing more then biased opinions that get to pick and choose what they publicly say are factors to justify their pucks that week
For the record, as I've said before, I think they should have kept the BCS system and expanded it to the top 4 teams. We've discussed this before, and I think there was a consensus that while there may have been arguments some years regarding who the top 2 teams were, most years there was a pretty bright line between 1-4 and the rest of the field.

That said, we're only on year 3 of having this committee pick the teams. Yes, I wish there was more transparency, but for our limited, 2 years of past experience, I don't think that you have a strong argument about how the committee picks their favorites and they just stick with them. The committee has shown in the past that they're not afraid to blow up their previous poll when all is said and done.

Prior to last night's loss, Louisville's "sin" was losing to a team in your division, and taking you out of the driver's seat to play for an ACC championship. Conference championships have, so far, proven to be very important to the committee. Rightly or wrongly, that's how it is. So far, every team that has made the play-offs has been the out-right winner of their conference. Will that change this year? Impossible to say at this point until the games are played.

Again, your team was ranked 5th, with two weeks to go and with one of the teams above you guaranteed to get a second loss. I really don't think placing Louisville 5th is a sign of disrespect, but I realize that nothing I say is going to sway your opinion to the contrary.
The absolute only way the playoffs should expand beyond 4, is if you drop 2 games off the regular season. These are college kids playing, not professional athletes.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson

gross gross gross make it stop no no no no no no no no no no no

for fuck's sake, stop making the regular season matter less. Every game is a god damn playoff game.

We've already experienced the watering down of big losses in the CFB Era where a loss is acceptable, 16 team playoffs will mean 2-3 losses acceptable.

Fuck Alabama can rest its starters for the Iron Bowl if it wants (and honestly, it should!) because they can lose to Auburn, win the SEC title, and be into the playoff.

8 teams in the playoffs? 16 teams?! In college football? Seriously, what the hell? There aren't 16 teams with a claim to the title. Ever. That just devalues the regular season. And these are unpaid college kids. They don't need to be playing that many games in a single season. That's unreasonable.

ryseing

The absolute only way the playoffs should expand beyond 4, is if you drop 2 games off the regular season. These are college kids playing, not professional athletes.

What about six with a bye for the top two?

Numbers 3-6 would still be playing 16 games if they make it to the championship. Hmm...

I think the solution might be moving cupcakes to a "preseason", where those programs could still get paid to keep their programs afloat and the big teams can rest their starters without fear of a loss that would count against their record.

Let's be against anybody but traditional powers ever winning, that'll teach em

Oh wait the vast majority of college football teams and fans don't want that? Fuucckk, ummm player safety, for the kids, the kids!

Get the fuck out with all of that nonsense, the season isn't a playoff, see western Michigan

Lol whet? This isn't about protecting traditional powers. Any Power 5 school (and some schools like Houston) can find their way in the playoffs if they schedule well enough and win their games. That's a flimsy argument, as is acting like player safety isn't a legitimate concern. There is absolutely no need to give the 8th ranked team a shot at a title.

Lol whet? This isn't about protecting traditional powers. Any Power 5 school (and some schools like Houston) can find their way in the playoffs if they schedule well enough and win their games. That's a flimsy argument, as is acting like player safety isn't a legitimate concern. There is absolutely no need to give the 8th ranked team a shot at a title.
Eh the only thing is it frequently happens where teams trying to make a strong schedule are shut out or outright refused. Or given only extremely unfair terms to a series.

Be careful the champion of the best conference in CFB (B1G) this year could end up ranked around there when all is said and done.

To me for a team in that position I say sure if you can go out and beat 2 top 8 teams in the last two weeks in the playoffs likely giving them two losses as well I'll have no problem calling you national champion.

Top Bottom