• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 SE: Vergil, Trish & Lady Playable, Release Date 18th of June

Does anyone know as to why Japan gets it early? I know certain regions get games early unless theres a worldwide simultaneous release (MGSV for example) but considering its digital only in the EU and NA why?

I love all the struggle stories in here.

"I worked chores and saved up lunch money so I could buy a PS2/DMC3".

Damn the THIRST was real! I can relate to all of this. Saving up $60 for a game was pretty crazy as a teenager back in the day.

Also damn Seven Force what would've happened if your sister never won that raffle? You probably wouldn't have played DMC3 until long after the fact!
The thirst to juggle marionettes with pistols was real...

Man I know the DMC5 hype train has died down for E3 at least, but here's hoping to we get some kind of teaser.. Itsuno please...

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Does anyone know as to why Japan gets it early? I know certain regions get games early unless theres a worldwide simultaneous release (MGSV for example) but considering its digital only in the EU and NA why?

Probably at least partially because it's digital only. PSN only updates on Tuesdays in the US, and it must release at the same time on both consoles.

Seyavesh

BRING BACK SWORD PIERCE
DVcKOp9.gif

In 2004 I was in college and a group of friends would hang out in a lobby, I would bring my Dreamcast and we would spend hours playing the classic fighters like alpha3, CvS2, and Third Strike. We were discussing some great action games and at the time I mentioned Ninja Gaiden. On xbox it was really a great game, a friend mentioned I should try Devil May Cry 3. "Dont get the regular one, try the special edition" I had heard of the series but never actually played any of them.

I never had a PS2 at launch, I think I remember my brother and I sharing a used PS2 for a while in 2001, then he sold it so he could buy a Guitar. years later I purchased a used PS2 thin for myself and was catching up to games I missed out on. My entry to the series was DMC3 SE. The intro to Mission 1 really got me pumped. I mean listening to this really got me into the level and beating the crap those enemy's felt satisfying. Mission 2 got even better. Fighting that boss and experimenting with the styles was a good test. When I got to cerbus I thought "Ok, this is going to take some practice" I grinded out a couple of orbs to increase my health and finally beat him. Then went back to mission one to test his weapon and it was amazing. When I got to Agni and Rudra I was like "Holy Shit". 2 guys with equal footing at the same time was great and their theme made it even better. Then the first fight with Virgil, what a satisfying fight. This is one of my favorite games and made me a fan of stylistic action for life.

When I heard DMC4 was announced years later, I was excited. I didn't need a demo to convince me that I was going to enjoy the combat, but It was a good chance to test Nero's capability. I remember my room mate at the time was having a hard time beating the 1st version of the savior. I was playing the fight for him and found out why. He was using the easy mode. Whenever the Savior would hide in the statue, Nero would do a snatch instead of a regular Devil Bringer. I told him a bunch of times to disable that. Highlight of DMC4 was Credo fight it just reminded me of fighting Vergil. The most satisfying boss fights are one on one with almost equal footing. No gigantic monster where you only fight the upper torso, no extra enemies to lend a helping hand. Just you and them with a "If you want something done, do it yourself" attitude. I remember breaking my first 360 controller because I beat the Bloody Palace with Nero and holding down the left bumper to charge his gun took its tole.

Sesha

Well, at least you get to choose DMC3 or DMC4 costume in SE.

True, though the fact that it's a pre-order bonus makes me want to retch.

BRING BACK SWORD PIERCE
DVcKOp9.gif

And bring back the little punt kick Dante does when he turns around to attack an enemy.

And Wall Hike. DMC2-style Wall Hike, performable both from the ground and in mid-air. Not the mid-air only garbage from DMC3.

So what are the odds DMC5 might be PS exclusive again? Looking at this past insider information peak..
There will be tears and gnashing of teeth.
GAF will both love and hate EA.
Ubisoft will continue to Ubisoft us all.
Sony has several nice montages. And hats.
MS realises that runner up medals don't please investors. Or publishers.
There will be more colours than brown, blue or orange.
And the Verendus saying Sony moneyhatted another Capcom game correct? DMC5 exclusive would definitely result in gnashing of teeth.. Seems like a good chance it could happen..

Frantic

BRING BACK SWORD PIERCE
I'd like it if Sword Pierce brought the hit enemy to Dante and would continue to drag them towards him even if he moves - give him some sort of "drag in enemy" move with his main weapon. And if the enemy is too big/heavy to be dragged, they could just be staggered towards Dante intermittently.

Also, Round Trip needs faster startup + air okay. Need more air moves in general. Stinger, High Time(even if it's just a launcher that doesn't move Dante himself), Sword Pierce... maybe a reverse "Prop Shredder" that ground bounces enemies, or something.

I've got too many ideas I'd like to see in a DMC5. :<

And Wall Hike. DMC2-style Wall Hike, performable both from the ground and in mid-air. Not the mid-air only garbage from DMC3.
You could do it from the ground in DMC3, too. It was easier from the air, but you could do it from the ground.

Dahbomb

Frantic most of your suggestions are in SE for the other characters. So it's clear that Itsuno wants to improve those moves in that way.

I really want more moves like Rising Star/Million Stab in the game. Moves where you can hold down the input or add an input to change the follow up so you can close the distance and go straight into a combo.

That's the type of high octane, fast paced game play that DMC is about.

As far as new moves or move changes I would like to see, here are a few of my suggestions:

*Aerial Pop Shredder for relaunches with Rebellion (because relaunches are the next level shit that got introduced in DMC4)

*Bring back Hammer and give it a ground bounce like the new Vergil Starfall.

*If they bring back an A&R then the Jet Stream move needs to be reworked because the travel speed is too slow compared to Stinger/Straight/Reverb Shock. A lot of the time you will use it and the enemy steps resulting in you just stuck in an animation.

*Alternate crazy cancels. You can hold Triangle during Stinger to go into Million Stab... how about holding O (or whatever the Swordmaster equivalent is) to go into Dance Macabre instead? Or for even crazier options, holding down Square during Stinger can give you Fireworks (MVC3 style)?

*Can we get a super move for Dante too? Shit is hype son!

Sesha

I really wish they did that with Kick 13. Have the single kick be the default one, and the combo when you hold down the button.

Also, Round Trip needs faster startup + air okay. Need more air moves in general. Stinger, High Time(even if it's just a launcher that doesn't move Dante himself), Sword Pierce... maybe a reverse "Prop Shredder" that ground bounces enemies, or something.

Everything should have more aerial moves. Take Beowulf for example. I would do something like this:

- Remove the style system. Give Swordmaster moves new inputs using the standard melee button.
- Add Divine Dragon to Beast Uppercut / Rising Dragon.
- Zodiac is melee + whatever Circle / B does. It has an aerial version as well.
- The Hammer is lock-on + forward + melee in mid-air.
- Add a mid-air launcher resembling Chun-Li's Tenshokyaku. Input is lock-on + back + melee.
- Volcano is already performable in mid-air. Change the input to back-forward.
- Make Tornado a standard move, have it be a bit similar to Trish's Spinning Bird Kick. Input would be 360 degrees + melee. Give it an aerial version.
- Make Real Impact a super move, although you wouldn't need to be DTed to perform it, it could use one DT orb or something. Input is lock-on + back + melee + O / B.

Bam. All style moves are now integrated, eliminating the need for style switching, and 5 moves have been added to Beowulf's repertoire.

You could do it from the ground in DMC3, too. It was easier from the air, but you could do it from the ground.

Ah yes, I forgot. But you can only do the vertical one from the ground, not the horizontal one. I want to see that back along with Wall Hike in general, as well as a tweak to make it easier to perform.

Wall run needs a lot of changes:

*Allow user to cancel out of the animation. It's really weird that once you activate Wall hike you have to sit through the whole animation or until you run out of space. Just press jump to literally jump out of wall run or you can make it so that you have to hold down O to keep the wall run up (and letting go takes you out of wall run).

*Allow directional changes during wall run and allow for more directional variations than just vertical and horizontal.

*Increase travel distance. Come on son, Dante ain't fucking Prince of Perisa or Ryu Hayabusa... he should be allowed to wall run longer!

*Allow some actions during wall run. Stuff like being able to shoot while wall run or do a wall run slash is stuff that needs to be in the game for maximum swag.

All of these are excellent suggestions. I think you should be able to hold down circle to dictate the duration of the wall run.

As far as new moves or move changes I would like to see, here are a few of my suggestions:

*Aerial Pop Shredder for relaunches with Rebellion (because relaunches are the next level shit that got introduced in DMC4)

*Bring back Hammer and give it a ground bounce like the new Vergil Starfall.

*If they bring back an A&R then the Jet Stream move needs to be reworked because the travel speed is too slow compared to Stinger/Straight/Reverb Shock. A lot of the time you will use it and the enemy steps resulting in you just stuck in an animation.

*Alternate crazy cancels. You can hold Triangle during Stinger to go into Million Stab... how about holding O (or whatever the Swordmaster equivalent is) to go into Dance Macabre instead? Or for even crazier options, holding down Square during Stinger can give you Fireworks (MVC3 style)?

*Can we get a super move for Dante too? Shit is hype son!

I love all of these too, but I want them to drop Swordmaster for future games and just integrate the Swordmaster moves into the melee button. I think we have enough ground moves already, and making 8-10 moves for the standard melee and Swordmaster each would take a lot of time, money and effort, which might detract from other aspects of development. Giving Nero two unique Buster actions for nearly every enemy in the game probably took a lot of time and money to do. I'd imagine 20 moves for a single weapon for Dante would be similarly intensive, possibly even more so.

Dahbomb

Wall run needs a lot of changes:

*Allow user to cancel out of the animation. It's really weird that once you activate Wall hike you have to sit through the whole animation or until you run out of space. Just press jump to literally jump out of wall run or you can make it so that you have to hold down O to keep the wall run up (and letting go takes you out of wall run).

*Allow directional changes during wall run and allow for more directional variations than just vertical and horizontal.

*Increase travel distance. Come on son, Dante ain't fucking Prince of Perisa or Ryu Hayabusa... he should be allowed to wall run longer!

*Allow some actions during wall run. Stuff like being able to shoot while wall run or do a wall run slash is stuff that needs to be in the game for maximum swag.

Frantic

I really want more moves like Rising Star/Million Stab in the game. Moves where you can hold down the input or add an input to change the follow up so you can close the distance and go straight into a combo.
They could do a lot with this, honestly. As is, Stinger > Million Stabs input is Forward + Attack, then neutral + A. Holding F + A just does Stinger without the cancel, so they could add an extra input there - holding F+A would give one move, and neutral+A would give another, while not holding A at all will do the normal F+A move.

Like, Gilgamesh has Kick 13 for F+A. Just normal F+A would do the DMC1 Kick 13. Holding Neutral+A go into the auto-combo, while holding F+A would go into a Lunar Phase-ish move or something like that. It would be a fairly simple input method that wouldn't really be different than it currently is in DMC4. This would honestly be really helpful for a character like Trish, too, who has more limited inputs(though for Trish, I would hope they make /\+O inputs be stuff like Round Trip and V Divider, so that she can have Stinger with F+O instead)

Stuff like this could also work. It also wouldn't really complicate the controls, imo.

So what are the odds DMC5 might be PS exclusive again? Looking at this past insider information peak..

And the Verendus saying Sony moneyhatted another Capcom game correct? DMC5 exclusive would definitely result in gnashing of teeth.. Seems like a good chance it could happen..

what peaks my interest is Langdon doing interview for 4SE promotion... isn't Southworth being there more likely

What does a Platinum game have anything to do with Devil May Cry?

Nothing. I just wanted two awesome action games ;-;

I've got nothing that can play DMC4SE. So I'm gonna have to wait awhile. Which sucks because if Capcom is doing their infamous test with this I'll be sad I couldn't help.

Dahbomb

Nothing. I just wanted two awesome action games ;-;

I've got nothing that can play DMC4SE. So I'm gonna have to wait awhile. Which sucks because if Capcom is doing their infamous test with this I'll be sad I couldn't help.

You don't have a PC? Game can run on a toaster...

I have to wonder how the increased system requirements will affect people with lower end video cards. I had an awful video card in this pre-built PC (AMD Radeon HD 7450), yet I was still able to get around 45-50 FPS in the benchmarks. Hopefully the fact that the port is being updated to accommodate for newer hardware will mean that the video settings will be robust too. I'd like to stream this in 60 FPS, but that will require me to run the game at 1080p fullscreen for Shadowplay to pick it up.

The suggestions in this thread have been great. I've always wanted the main defensive options to not be tied to a style switch for Dante. One of the main issues with playing DMC4 Dante at a high level is how often you have to switch styles, which is something many can't do. Donguri must have insane APM to switch that often, but it's also the reason why DMC4 Dante is just barely now reaching his full potential almost a decade after the game released. I think it could be possible to have the defensive and offensive moves permanently mapped to the controller to reduce all the d-pad switching that has to be done to play expertly.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Ugh I don't know if I should get it on PS4 or PC. Halp!

If you're the type of person who eventually might double dip, then I'd suggest getting it on PS4 first. It'll go on sale at a steeper discount on PC before it goes on sale for PS4. If you're only getting one? Go PC. The future mods will ensure that you can vary up your experience in the long term.

The only advantage of PS4 is that you'll be able to record and upload video without needing a capture device.

Dahbomb

I think D-pad switching should only be reserved for stuff that you want to be doing occasionally in battle, not all the time (like you can change the properties of your Devil Trigger to say Quicksilver/Doppelganger or other forms). It's not just that it requires insanely high APM, it's unnecessarily cumbersome and you have to not have your thumb on the stick to use it (unless you use keyboard for style switches which shouldn't be what a DMC game be designed around).

The suggestions I have made allow Dante to have the same amount of options as he does in DMC4 but with no actual Style switching. You have one modifier that you can hold or tap once (as an option) that changes the actions of your control to their Style variants. Sort of like the Stance change in DmC but with a much broader scope.

So I've been going back through the Capcom Unity stream footage of all the characters, since I missed all of them aside from Vergil and only saw the combat intros a for Trish and Lady.

Just going back through all these videos and promotional material up to this point is doing a pretty good job of keeping me excited until release. I wanna play these new characters so fucking bad.

Top Bottom