• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Devil May Cry 4 SE: Vergil, Trish & Lady Playable, Release Date 18th of June

Yuterald

I played and 1000d DMC4, putting in countless hours. I have this preordered on PSN, Xbone, and PC. And importing the regular and pizza box editions.

Go buy it.

EDIT: Double post. Sorry about that. Not used to posting mobile.

Shiiiit. I like DMC4 a lot, but I don't buy multiple versions of the same game for any series haha!

I'm excited about it, honestly. I feel like a few folks are assessing it unfairly because it's not the thing that they wanted Platinum to work on, which is weird when you consider how often we see the "Platinum should make everything" notion.

Yeah, pretty much. I completely understand people being cautious of it after how Korra turned out, though. (I enjoyed the combat, but everything else was trash)

Shiiiit. I like DMC4 a lot, but I don't buy multiple versions of the same game for any series haha!

Well hey, you're getting more than twice the amount of characters the original game had. That's more than what most updated re-releases do!

The potential of Transformers is gonna depend on if Activision doesn't give them a budget consisting of peanuts and a slice of bread like they did with Korra.

Since it's Activision and it's a liscensed game.......hopes aren't high.

Yuterald

Well hey, you're getting more than twice the amount of characters the original game had. That's more than what most updated re-releases do!

Oh, yeah, I still have an original DMC4 copy, but I'll be getting the special edition, for sure. Just haven't decided how to go about it yet.

Dahbomb

If you Platinumed/1000 GS DMC4 before that doesn't mean shit.

Because the achievements for DMC4SE are way harder and longer to achieve.

Yuterald

If you Platinumed/1000 GS DMC4 before that doesn't mean shit.

Because the achievements for DMC4SE are way harder and longer to achieve.

Yo, "completing" vanilla DMC4 was nothing to sneeze at back in the day. I put 100+ some hours into that game. I probably won't ever see all the content in this SE version because I don't have the time/willpower to devote the kind of time when this first launched. I'm pretty content with my understanding of DMC4 and what I've accomplished with it.

MrFatCat

Banned
DMC3 was my first game back in the day, i'm just hit 14 at the time. My family is poor (in Vietnam no less) but i managed to get enough money to buy a ps2 and my dad took me to the game shop. The shop owner introduce us to a game he said "it's very good", and hand me the DMC3 game. It was a precious moment of my life when dad and i turn the ps2 on and insert the disc, then Dante appear and kick the warning screen open and i was like "oooohh", and together with my dad we play from the beginning till the end where Vergil took the Yamato to Mundus himself. I knew English so i understand everything and cry when Vergil fell down but my dad didn't so he just watch it for the action lol. I played lot of games since then, but Dante, Vergil and Lady still hold a special place in my heart to this day.

A few years later, i heard DMC4 is out but my family didn't have enough money to buy a PS3 so i have to go to the ps4 shop and watch people play on the weekend. I used to imagine my own story based on the Dante and Nero i saw on the tv in my bed at night. Then i took the paper out and start to draw my own Dante and Nero story. I was obsessed with how Dante come to kill the guy in the church when he is the good guy, and assumed he was possessed by demon or something lol. Great times.

So many years it has been, i'm a grown up man now, and whatever i look for gaming news nowadays i look for news about Devil May Cry, it was my beloved games, not Street Fighter, not Resident Evil, but this game, this badass amazing hero with a red coat that talk trash and kick ass, his serious, equally awesome brother with his sword and lady with her sad story about her father, all of this has been a part of me and i will never forget the sons of Sparda as long as i live.

So there, sorry for the long rant and poor use of English. Just wanna let u know that in a faraway country like Vietnam, Devil May Cry still have fans. So I hope Capcom will continue to support the franchise and will keep DMC alive forever. It's about time they make a new game, the wait has been too long.

Squishy3

If we're talking about how many copies of DMC4 we have, I was cleaning out my room this past week and found 5 Xbox 360 discs.

I also own a digital version and a physical copy of the PC release and naturally have SE ordered.

DMC3 was my first game back in the day, i'm just hit 14 at the time. My family is poor (in Vietnam no less) but i managed to get enough money to buy a ps2 and my dad took me to the game shop. The shop owner introduce us to a game he said "it's very good", and hand me the DMC3 game. It was a precious moment of my life when dad and i turn the ps2 on and insert the disc, then Dante appear and kick the warning screen open and i was like "oooohh", and together with my dad we play from the beginning till the end where Vergil took the Yamato to Mundus himself. I knew English so i understand everything and cry when Vergil fell down but my dad didn't so he just watch it for the action lol. I played lot of games since then, but Dante, Vergil and Lady still hold a special place in my heart to this day.

A few years later, i heard DMC4 is out but my family didn't have enough money to buy a PS3 so i have to go to the ps4 shop and watch people play on the weekend. I used to imagine my own story based on the Dante and Nero i saw on the tv in my bed at night. Then i took the paper out and start to draw my own Dante and Nero story. I was obsessed with how Dante come to kill the guy in the church when he is the good guy, and assumed he was possessed by demon or something lol. Great times.

So many years it has been, i'm a grown up man now, and whatever i look for gaming news nowadays i look for news about Devil May Cry, it was my beloved games, not Street Fighter, not Resident Evil, but this game, this badass amazing hero with a red coat that talk trash and kick ass, his serious, equally awesome brother with his sword and lady with her sad story about her father, all of this has been a part of me and i will never forget the sons of Sparda as long as i live.

So there, sorry for the long rant and poor use of English. Just wanna let u know that in a faraway country like Vietnam, Devil May Cry still have fans. So I hope Capcom will continue to support the franchise and will keep DMC alive forever. It's about time they make a new game, the wait has been too long.

That's a fantastic post.

Mizerman

Memories...

Back in my PS2 days, I remember renting this game called...Devil May Cry. I was just there one day noticing the cover with a white haired dude with a freaky looking sword in one hand and a shotgun in another. Looking at it, I was like "I gotta check this out." Before I knew it, I was back at the house and inserting the disk.

From seeing Sparda for the very first time while being introduced to Dante and Trish, I had a feeling that I was gonna get hooked on this game.

I was right and I enjoyed every minute of it.

Although I would consider myself a novice at best within the genre, Devil May Cry got me hooked completely. The story was decent enough and the characters (especially Dante) were larger than life. It was just awesome.

More importantly, I was glad to pick up the HD Collection years later as I can relive the series and getting my feet further wet in DMC3.

And with DMC4: SE around the corner, things are just gonna be excellent.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I jumped ship to the PS2 after the Dreamcast was out for a while. I had gotten the DC on 9-9-99 and I also got the PS2 on release. I was big into games like Tekken Tag Tournament, Dark Cloud, and various other titles that came out during that time. I was wanting an action game that let me do more in terms of game play.

I went to Babbages at the mall and they had a kiosk with Devil May Cry up at the counter. I had already known about Dynasty Warriors and action games, but DMC was different. You could actually combo the enemies and keep them up in the air with your guns. It thought it was absolutely amazing. I had never seen anything like it before. I ended up putting in a pre-order for the game because it was coming out around my birthday that year. I ended up picking it up and going to a friend's house. We played past the spider and I took it back home. I was around 15-16 at the time. It was an amazing experience. DMC2 went under my radar because it didn't impress me as much and around the time DMC3 came out I fell right back into the series. God of War 1 came out around the time DMC3 came out. They were only a couple weeks from one another.

I ended up loving DMC3 and the SE was one of the best experiences I had on the PS2. DMC4 I was working at EB Games at the time and I bought it the day it came out. It was an excellent game, but now it's finally getting the treatment it deserves. The SE to DMC3 was fantastic. I thought about DMC3:SE for years after it came out. DmC I just bought digitally online when it launched and I did the same with DmC:DE.

My first experience was a fantastic feeling. Actions games were almost limited to the arcade where fluid movement and combos didn't shine through other than fighting games or games where the character was only able to perform grounded attacks or string combos. DMC made me feel like I had control over my character and that followed me onto other games such as God of War and of course Ninja Gaiden. I had DMC1 before I had Ninja Gaiden. It was a remarkable time and I'll always remember what it did for me.

Edit: This is also something: I was introduced to Resident Evil 4 the very same way. One day I went to EB Games and I went inside to look for games. I saw they had a demo on their GameCube kiosk for Resident Evil 4. I played it and my jaw dropped. I was excited for one and I needed to reserve it. I remember I had it reserved that day and I also had gotten the demo that the store had. I believe I was playing Crystal Chronicles at the time on GC. I played that demo multiple times and even noticed some of the small changes they made with the final version. I remember it very well because I also received a behind the scenes or making of disc for RE4. It was a great time. I really haven't felt that way over a demo in a very long time, but Capcom has done a very good job at it. My dad was great, he bought me whatever I wanted because he knew these games were good and I really appreciate that. I feel lucky that I was a part of that experience.

Kind of an interesting case for me considering I got into this series way after the fact (summer of 2012, actually), but admittedly it still had enough impact on me even with what little experience in the genre I had prior with Ninja Gaiden and Bayonetta. A pawn shop I used to frequent had all three PS2 games for about 20 bucks total, and since the PS3 was being used by the rest of the family, I went with those three just so I could have all the time I wanted to sink into them.

DMC 1 had me intrigued though admittedly slightly infuriated as my first experience was on Easy Automatic. I never fully got to enjoy that game's combat until years later, but I wanted to see as much as I could while trying to get myself adjusted to that game's controls and constantly switching camera angles. And then DMC 2 I played two thirds of just to see why it was as bad as people said, and yep it was pretty clear. The fact I played that long before finally giving up is still kinda nuts. It stays on the shelf forever to serve as a reminder.

But then DMC 3 was where I hit my stride with the series, and the impact was increased greatly after slogging through that previous game. Everything from the pace, the controls, all of it just felt so much better. I could actually pull off the dodge rolls and stuff more consistently, actions felt way more responsive due to the speed increase, and the style meter impacted how I play these games by quite a significant margin. Actually fully understanding the move list of a single weapon and putting together stylish combos with little mental overhead made me feel so accomplished.

Admittedly, I still enjoy NG and Bayo more as a matter of taste and the former being my very first experience with character action, but DMC 3 did a hell of a lot to make me better at those games in terms of reaction times and performance during gameplay. Hell, it also gave me incentive into looking at advanced combat guides to see how far I could push myself for that and other games. Eventually leading me back to DMC 1 a year or two later and finally getting through it on normal mode.

So yeah, not necessarily a nostalgic look back, but still pretty significant for me personally.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
Great stuff, MrFatCat. Thank you for sharing and welcome.

I'm going to be straight honest. I played DMC1 at launch, and while I loved the atmosphere, I didn't really get that much satisfaction from the combat. It was responsive and fun, but I beat it once, put it away, and forgot about it. I was pretty ass at videogames in general at the time.

Years later, I visited a friend in college who was stuck on a game and asked us to come over to help. It was DMC3. He borrowed it from one of his friends and couldn't beat Agni and Rudra. He showed us the opening cutscenes and my jaw dropped. It was like nothing I'd ever seen before - so sublimely over the top and creative. Just pure, unadulterated style. And when I saw free ride in the cutscene, and then was shown you could do it in game? I was blown away.

We spent all evening progressing in the game. Dying, trading the controller, rarely weapon switching, lots of mashing, no enemy step. It asked if we wanted to switch to Easy mode. My friends and I said, "fuck that!" We started getting the hang of pause combos. Really ugly stuff, but we had an amazing time. And with a lot of perseverance, we beat the game over the next few days.

At some point, my friend loaned the game to me, and I spent days playing it, unlocking difficulty after difficulty, and repeating bosses over and over just to experience them. The combat just fascinated me, and felt so unique. I must have played almost a hundred hours like that, not really understanding the combat, but understanding that what I was controlling in my hands was just damn special.

It wasn't until I looked up a video called Hell Sloth is Dead that my understanding of DMC was completely turned upside down. My mind was shattered. I watched it and rewatched it. I didn't understand. How was he doing these things? How were these things even possible? It was as if I hadn't even been playing the same game. I hastily went online, created a forum account on some gaming site, and asked on a messageboard how the player was able to accomplish these feats.

That's when I learned about ESCs, buffers, cancels, i-frames, etc., etc. There was an entire world of combat underneath the layer that I had been playing for months. That moment completely changed the way I approached games and combat (it didn't hurt that I was also playing a lot of fighting games at the time). And after digging back into DMC3, I went back and replayed DMC1 with new eyes and a newfound appreciation. My approach to game combat in general broadened, and I recognized/understood key combat design choices.

The DMC series is one of a kind. There were countless imitators, but there is a tangible feel to the combat that is just unlike anything else. And I seriously think it just helped me to be better at games.

Dahbomb

I bought a PS2 for TTT1 as I was a big fan of Tekken from the PS1 days. Great game, I played the hell out of it of course.

I too belonged to not that rich of a family. I could only afford to get TTT1 on PS2, no extra controller and no memory card even (so most of the time I didn't even play with unlocked characters!). I didn't have enough money to buy new games but in a magazine I saw previews for DMC1. I managed to acquire the demo for DMC1 from a magazine disc and when I played the demo I knew that I would save up for this game. I saved up all my allowance, all my lunch money, did work for other people to afford getting DMC1 day 1. I was 12 at that age living in Pakistan.

What drew me into the demo particularly was the fluidity of the combat. It wasn't years later that I actually understood what the reason for that combat feel was but as I learned it was because DMC1 was running at 60FPS. I was a big RE/Dino Crisis fan as well as a huge Capcom fan so everything in DMC1 clicked with me. I was also a big fan of beat em up games in the Genesis/SNES/early arcades era so that was another big plus for me. Oh yeah I loved Symphony of the Night too. It was the culmination of everything I liked in games at that time all coming with ridiculous graphics, amazing art and tight as fuck game play. Oh and Dante was one of the most bad ass and cool as fuck characters I had experienced at that time.

Did I tell you how I didn't have a memory card back then? I played DMC1 without a memory card and used to leave my PS2 on over night hoping that the light wouldn't go out (it usually did because it was Pakistan). Usually I would have to start from scratch but I didn't mind because I was use to this playstyle from the NES days (no saves back in the day, gotta beat that Contra without saves son!). I guess that's what resulted in me being good at DMC1 vs being good at the later DMC games... I knew every pixel of the areas in DMC as I had played them so much.

When I finally got a memory card, I was blown away by Hard and then even more so by DMD mode. At that point I had not experienced such a difficulty difference. Not only was I allowed to keep all my upgrades but the difficulties were very different. Enemy placement was different, moves had didn't damage ratios etc. DMD was another beast and was among the most challenging game play I had experienced at that time. I persevered through it and was simply in awe at the masterpiece of the game. I remember I didn't like DMC1 as much when I beat it the first time on Normal but I liked it more on Hard and even more on DMD mode. That was a very rare thing for me when it came to gaming because as a kid I just used to play on the default difficulty or easy mode (back then normal difficulties were pretty hard).

I got so interested in DMC that I started looking online for cheat codes and strategies. I even managed to get a strategy guide from the game from the friend although it was utterly useless for me aside from finding the last few blue orb fragments. Online didn't help much either, I didn't get any great tips for the game or stuff I didn't know. I started making some tips/tricks for DMC1 back in the day, advance stuff that I saw that people didn't talk about. I used to post on Gamefaqs for a bit then migrated to IGN for whatever reason. My very first post on IGN was a length FAQ style post that I am sure confused a lot of people. By now technology for DMC1 has come a long way but I was definitely a pioneer back in the day among with quite a few other players.

Fast forward to DMC2 getting announced and of course I was stoke. This was also fresh off of the Matrix movie so some of the stuff they were adding to DMC2 like wall run and two some time hyped me up because it was the next level of "cool" for me. Well I don't need to describe the gut wrenching disappointment I felt when I played and finished DMC2. I returned the game within a week and looked for other action games to quench my thirsty (hell I even tried out stuff like Chaos Legion but nothing scratched that itch). Used to spend all day at my friends house playing on his Xbox 1 and NG until I finally got my own Xbox.

Fast forward again to DMC3 being unveiled in PSM. I was ecstatic that DMC wasn't dead although I was less than thrilled about the design of Dante. And then came the LEGENDARY E3 trailer. So many feels were had... you guys just don't know. I always knew that Nelo Angelo was Vergil so seeing him for the first time in action like that and him whooping Dante was exhilarating (Nelo Angelo was my favorite character in DMC1 as well). Everything about DMC3 was just bad ass and cool. When that part in the trailer with the Swordmaster Aerial combo comes with the enemy steps... I lost my shit! I was like "THEY PUT MARVEL 2 COMBOS IN DMC HOLY SHIT!!!!" The cutscenes were amazing, to me they felt on par with MGS2 (and that was cutting edge at the time).

Then the demo was released on RE:Outbreak 2 which I managed to get and man that demo was just something else. Never had I felt such replayability in a 30 minute demo. The pacing, the combat, the options, the swag... it was just through the roof! The boss fight was hard as fuck but very good. The combo potential of DMC3 was super obvious in the demo and with the promise of 8 more weapons and fully decked out Styles I knew that this game was going to have some of the most insane combo videos ever (so something like HSID wasn't a shock to me even though it still blew me away). Then the game released... I remember I was actually running a fever because I had over hyped myself for the release. I was also really anxious as I thought Capcom could've fucked it up like they did DMC2. The game was super hard but I didn't give a fuck... I was having the time of my life! I finished the game at 24 hours but from start to finish it was one hell of a ride. During this time I was also very active on the DMC boards at IGN (I started being active around DMC2's time because I was always checking it out for new info) so I saw a lot of people asking for help for Cerberus and A&R. Made a bunch of posts about the strategies to beat them that still gets used today (the infamous Revolver trick against A&R, I was among the first to post it on IGN).

After that is when the classic DMC3 vs GoW vs NGB arguments started to happen. It was all in good fun, I enjoyed all 3 games. Soon afterwards DMC4 was announced at the start of a new console generation. Prominent DMC fans told me that I should check out NeoGAF as it's a place for more intelligent discussions as it has more exclusivity. I was ALL ABOUT long discussions at that time... if you thought my posts are wordy now they are NOTHING compared to what they were back in my IGN days. Luckily I had just gotten my college email id and was accepted into GAF within a few weeks. I also started to get some hype rolling for DMC4 on GAF and of course the infamous multiplatform incident happened which was my experience of a GAF meltdown. I had the honor of making the DMC4 OT on GAF mostly because a lot of my posts at IGN were basically like OTs in terms of length!

DMC4 came and went (along with a bunch of crazy theories and speculation) after which there was a mysterious lull in the franchise. Then DmC came and I am sure all of you are familiar with what happened there. DMC2 was a low point for me for the series because the game was ass but DmC was a different low point ... it was when the fanbase and the developers/game media showed their ugly sides and it just wasn't a good look all around. DmC is no where near as bad as DMC2 of course but the game definitely set DMC as a whole back a few years.

However, Capcom rebounded the series well with both DmC DE and DMC4SE. It has restored my faith in the franchise and Capcom's handling of it (some what, there were still missteps). DmC DE when all is said and done will go down as a very solid, competition action game with a good amount of depth (the writing is still terribad thoguh but it will be remembered for its solid combat). People will continue to buy it on these new systems down the line as good games will get played and bought. DMC4SE of course has yet to be released but barring some weird console specific issues it should do fine. DMC4SE for the hardcores is basically going to be all about Vergil swag with the occasional Lady/Trish flourish. And people who are fan of DMC4 combo videos are going to be in for a treat, I know so because I have followed DMC so long I know about the mechanics of the games and know what elements of something has the ability to be pushed in terms of high level play.

And that's where we are at now. I feel that Capcom has learned from DmC and hopefully they take some of the positives from it to make DMC5. If I am being completely honest... even though DMC5 would have me super omega hyped, I am still extremely anxious about it. So many things can go wrong with it and while Dragon's Dogma was great by Itsuno I don't know how he can deliver with DMC that would allow it to match with something like Bayonetta 1/2 that have come and gone since then? Is Itsuno going to be able to shake off the rust? Is Capcom going to give him the appropriate time and resources? Is the writing going to be half decent this time?

I don't want Capcom to make a misstep with DMC5 and then have the series go back to being a giant question mark again. I am hoping for a safe yet very solid DMC5 so that Capcom can hopefully take a risk with the series again. Not "reboot" type risk but more like providing a female lead (like Dante's daughter), try to change up some long held mechanics (like R1 + Left/Right + X to roll, I feel like that is an antiquated method of dodging) and try to incorporate more lore elements into the mix. Hell maybe try an open world DMC game or maybe a DMC game with RPG mechanics... who knows. All of this stuff wouldn't be possible if DMC5 isn't made first and it's not successful.

Please Capcom if you listening here... please don't fuck it up. Let DMC5 be the DMC3 of the series again. Let the rule of odd number DMC games hold true.

Ushiwaka

Amazing story. And I totally feel you man, I got to the PS2 games late, and DMC3 was my first DMC game. Through that I discovered the DMC series and then Clover and so on...

I actually saw the game in a class. One of my classmates had the game, and when I looked at the cover, it was pure awesomeness, Dante, that long sword, that pose... And then when I got it, man it was such an awesome experience... My English was shit back in the day, so I couldn't understand anything, but it was FUN! Dante was the definition of "cool" back then... I remember when I got to Nevan, It was so hard I thought she was the final boss. lol. I loved everything in that game. I remember some of the levels and enemies even scaring me! Really great times... I played the game for the years to come, loving the minimal story and awesome characters. If I never saw DMC3 in that class, I think my gaming tase or even my life would be different. I played games regularly, but DMC3 was the game that made me a "gamer", someone who really cares about games and loves them.

Words cannot express how much I love DMC3 and how many good memories I have with it.

P.S: I love the DMC community in GAF. You guys are awesome.

TreIII

Wow. Such amazing stories here. It almost makes me feel bad that I don't have something nearly as profound to contribute. But in any case...

After the Dreamcast (which was great, but wasn't long for this world), I soon came face to face with the realization that I was going to need another console to keep up with what was good. And well, the PS2 was looking increasingly like a valid option for me to save up for, but I needed something a bit more to really make my day. And that's when I had a chance to try the DMC demo over a high school pal's place (after helping him with his CVX playthrough). Needless to say, I was hooked! And just like that, I had a reason to work towards owning a PS2.

The original DMC still holds a special place in my heart. So when that sequel started coming down the pipeline, I was so amped to play as one of the newest faces in my personal gaming pantheon...only to be letdown so severely because...DMC2 was DMC2. Bummer. At least I had Viewtiful Joe (on GC and later PS2), in the meantime.

Then DMC3 started making waves. But it wasn't until a college pal got a chance to import it that I was convinced that "Dante's Back". And HOW. That college game room had us all huddled around the big screen, trying to find the best weapon/style configurations, strategies and etc. in order to beat the bosses and figure out how stuff worked. It was a magical time, that took me back to those younger days in the 90s when my elementary school age friends and I were comparing strategies for the likes of Megaman and Castlevania for the NES and SNES.

Then there was DMC4 and later DmC, last gen. What can I say about those titles that hasn't been said? The most I can add is that both of those titles squandered so much in the way of momentum built upon by its immediate predecessor, which just makes this lead-up to its potential successor all the more an odd, yet exciting time. With that, I'm just watching and waiting, and hoping that Itsuno, Neo_G and crew will give me something that truly give us life and MOTIVATE us all over again...

I remember seeing a footage of Dante launching a Marionette into the air then keeping it afloat with guns. I thought it was insanely cool. It was on the old show "Extended Play" (X-Play now I think?).

Got a PS2. Tried to get the entire series but only found 2 and 3:DA. I thought I should play chronologically with what I have so I started with 2. It left a VERY bad taste in my mouth. Something with the music, the repetitive environment and the floaty physics made me feel ill.

Tried 3. The intro blew me away. I got my ass kicked over and over by Cerberus so I got prompted with Easy and went with it. I remember cheesing Gigapede with Lv2 E&I. I remember being happy when I got Beowulf since I thought it gives a damage boost to all weapons. I had a very difficult time playing but somehow enjoying it. When I finally beat the game, I felt like a champ after conquering the game. Continued on Normal while farming M2 on the side. It just clicked. I "got" it. I was stringing combos between weapons.

Suddenly, HSID was released. I WTF'd at how he was chaining the same moves over and over so I went to GameFAQs to look around. I learned and practiced how to JC. I was getting addicted to watching combo vids. I remember some vids like Azure Macabre, Vermillion Phantasm, Twosome Time, Deadly Eclipse, etc... I got to know a lot of people. Some names might ring a bell: EthSky, Pokey, Alexx, Joch, xarugas, integsta, Oreo, Brea, DMA, Versailles Merchant, etc. I witnessed the birth of TrueStyle Tournament. I invented DWD as a joke challenge but Pokey took it seriously. I eventually did the challenge myself, including on BP with Vergil. I was addicted. I maxed out the clock on DMC3 twice, then twice more on SE. I never bothered trying to SS everything though, since I think it's just tedious to do.

I eventually found DMC1, which I also really liked. It was different, and it kinda scared me too. I didn't like the underwater segments though.

Upgraded my PC to play DMC4. VERY disappointed. Big boring stages, dice puzzle (which you don't easily naturally figure out) lots of nerfs to things I liked (JC Shotgun, RG rage buildup, etc), story that went nowhere, Nero's existence, Vergil's absence, Agnus' stupid face, the Shakespeare cutscene, etc.. It just lacked the style and snappy action of DMC3, which was topped with classy banter.

I bought DmC for my PC, which I liked more than DMC4. DmC Vergil was an awesome upgrade to DMC3 Vergil. I dug the new take on the same lore. I liked the different kind of presentation, which felt like watching a TV series. Playing 60FPS from the start was nice. I got to try the PS3 version much later and I hated 30FPS.

Gonna pre-order DMC4:SE so I can finally fulfill my old dream of playing DMC on a handheld via remote play. RIP DMC PSP, the reason I bought a PSP in the first place.

Sesha

pour-one-out.jpg

One for my homie, Raiden.

Edit: Or not, lol

56642915b5853814bdb39d2aac424509.png

Well my story was I was always hoping for some kind of great action game to come out (like SOTN but in 3d). I remember that Vampire Hunter D game for PSX which was clunky as fuck. Found out about DMC1 through downloading videos off IGN's website and determined this was the type of game I wanted forever (even made a fan website for it before it released). I think I was 14 or 13 at the time, so I (like Dahbomb) did a bunch of chores and jobs to save up money and got a PS2 exclusively for DMC1.

For DMC2 I never bought it, because I read a review in EGM (where they all rated it around 7), and decided not to buy it given the disappointment those reviewers showed. I only bought it years later to see how bad it was..

DMC3 remember replaying the E3 trailer over and over again (along with the intro sequence). I was wondering when I first saw the trailer who was this other guy (Vergil), and get pretty psyched for release. Bought it in 2005 when it came out (freshmen in college), I actually only played the first 5 levels and quit because it was hard. Picked it up again in the summer and beat the game up to DMD mode, and DMC3 never left my PS2 until God Hand arrived..

DMC4 kind of staid off my radar for some reason, but I didn't have a PS3 or xbox360. So I bought it in 2009 when I built a new computer. Game looked gorgeous on my new computer, but I remember being disappointed in no Vergil, and no substitute for Vergil's play style (Dante's dark slayer style wasn't enough). I wish they let Nero use Yamato outside cutscenes and Devil trigger .... sigh.

Sectus

I think I have the least motivational story. I tried DMC3 around the time it came out, and at the first boss I thought "This is frustrating, I give up." In my defense, that was my first character action game. DMC4 was the first game in the series I really got into, and the more I played it, the more I liked it.

It also started my (un)healthy obsession with Lady. And here's proof with some super awesome badass artwork I commissioned of Lady:
lady_from_dmc4_by_mel_rubi_by_tzarsectus.png

Sectus

I did finally play through DMC3 after playing through DMC4 a bazillion times. I only played though it once though. And then I continued playing through DMC4.

I enjoyed my playthrough of DMC3, but I just have so much more fun playing DMC4.

Sesha

Yeah, Sectus, go back and play 3 more so you can see how awesome Lady is in 3 and commission a picture of the superior version of her. :p

Who did that, btw?

My first DMC game was DMC1. Borrowed it from my cousin, had a ton of fun with it, but I didn't finish it for a while (got caught up with other games as a kid). I eventually finished it around the time that DMC3 came out. Got the original DMC3 and thought it was amazing. Then something happened with the disc (my PS2 had trouble reading it) and I went and got the SE. Best purchase of my life, game was absolutely fantastic and I LOVED Vergil mode.

I also got DMC4 and thought it was great, though didn't get too much into it because I couldn't get used to the Red Queen revving mid-combo. Though with this SE I'll definitely try a bit harder to learn it.

Funny enough, even though it's a bad port, I'm playing DMC3SE on my laptop atm with keyboard controls and it's surprisingly fun. Once you know your ghost keys you can configure it so that your input won't get screwed by pressing 4+ buttons

See this whole page? This shit right here? This is the kind of feel good shit that needs to be on Gaming side more often.

I didn't have a PS2 at launch, so my PS2 experiences for it's first few years were playing what I could at friends houses. I remember seeing a preview for DMC1 in Tips & Tricks (God, I loved that fuckin' magazine) upcoming games section, and the gothic nature (I had just recently finished SoTN at the time, it's one of my personal GOATs) drew me into it. I convinced a friend of mine to ask his parents to get it for him, because he asked me what PS2 games he should ask for his birthday. He got it, and I played it at his house whenever I got the chance. I was pretty ass, and it took me a month or two to beat the game, but I did it. The combat felt so smooth, Dante had such a cool ass design, and launching enemies into the air and juggling them with the guns seriously never got old.

We rented DMC2 from Blockbuster shortly after it's release and gave it back the next day.

I didn't get around to asking for a PS2 from my parents until DBZ Budokai 3 came out (I know, of all the games, right?) Around that same time, I heard about DMC3, and wasn't really excited for it after 2, and it wasn't until the 2004 E3 Trailer that I got fully on board. Unfortunately, my PS2 ended up getting broken a couple of months before release, so I wasn't able to play it at first. None of my friends had bothered buying it because they got burned from 2. My parents financial situation was pretty bad at the time, so it seemed like getting my PS2 repaired was out of the question. One day though, my older sister drops by with a present: A new PS2. She worked at a library, and there was a raffle there, with one of the prizes being a PS2. She ended up winning, but knew I needed a PS2, so she gave it to me instead. Ended up trading in a bunch of games to be able to get DMC3, and played the shit out of it. Thing is, I still kinda sucked, so I never actually beat the OG version of the game. I still tried best I could, though. It was the only game that felt like all of the crazy awesome shit you usually see reserved for cutscenes was doable in game. I loved the over the top story. Vergil was and is still my favorite rival in all of gaming. Everything about the game was so damn right. When the SE was came out, I actually skipped out on a date (yeah my priorities were all fucked up at the time) to pick it up and spent all night playing it.

I saw DMC4 in Game Informer, and the image of Dante pointing a gun right at Sanctus head before "killing" him had me all "whoa what the fuck this is gonna be baller as fuck"
Unfortunately, I didn't have the money for any of the HD consoles, so I never got to play DMC4 much (outside of store demos) until I was finally able to afford my own PS3 in 2010. Played it, loved it, and waited with bated breath for the next one.

I played an hour of DmC at a friend's house, realized it wasn't for me and bailed. Bought the DE on PS4 launch week, and enjoyed that version way more.

Everything about DMC3 was just bad ass and cool. When that part in the trailer with the Swordmaster Aerial combo comes with the enemy steps... I lost my shit! I was like "THEY PUT MARVEL 2 COMBOS IN DMC HOLY SHIT!!!!"

That was the exact moment that sold me on the game. I was already a big fan of MvC. (And MvC2 was pretty much the first time I started learning about fighting games in a competitive sense), so seeing that felt like an extension of all the crazy shit (especially the aerial combat) you could do in that game. I had to have it.

Dahbomb

I love all the struggle stories in here.

"I worked chores and saved up lunch money so I could buy a PS2/DMC3".

Damn the THIRST was real! I can relate to all of this. Saving up $60 for a game was pretty crazy as a teenager back in the day.

Also damn Seven Force what would've happened if your sister never won that raffle? You probably wouldn't have played DMC3 until long after the fact!

I learned about Devil May Cry 1 through an old video review disc that came with a magazine, looked for the review online but for the life of me I couldn't find it. I should probably try and find the disc so I can upload that review. Either way though, everything about the gameplay and visual style of the game looked really cool, and I was a huge fan of the Resident Evil games at the time, so hearing that it had started as a Resident Evil title, which the review mentioned, immediately piqued my interest. Plus at that time, for me, Capcom could basically do no wrong.

Unfortunately I didn't have a PS2 at the time, and wouldn't for several more years. I ended up going for the Gamecube instead since it had the allure of shiny new Resident Evil games. In fact, it wasn't until DMC1, 2 and 3 were already out that I finally got ahold of any of them, guess I was lucky in that I didn't have to suffer through the disappointment of DMC2 without knowing if the series would make a comeback.

I started with the first game in the series and was just really, really impressed with it overall. At first it felt like a Resident Evil game in tone and gameplay, but the action quickly presented itself and I was hooked, the way you moved felt so fluid and the control was just great. Enemies were smart, had tons of moves, and I'd end up playing through it three times in total before I even moved on to the next game in the series. Not DMC2 as it were, as I'd seen plenty of thrashing of that game even though I knew generally little about the series. The complaints from fans I'd noticed online was enough to keep me from touching it, though I'd go back to it years later just to see.

I finally got DMC3 a few months later, and it was a game I completely fell in love with, everything about it felt like it had been tailor-made for me. The control was even better, the action was completely off the wall (and with better cutscene choreography than I had ever seen in any video game before), the goofy humor was just my style, the characters were all great, and being in high school at the time I was totally down with the butt-rock (ain't even gonna lie, I still love it). It quickly became my favorite game of all time and even today I'm totally obsessed with it.

Yeah, probably. My sister did have an Xbox and a copy of Ninja Gaiden that my cousin gave her, so I had some kind of action game fix.

I was arguably worse at that than I was at DMC, though, haha. Wasn't until DMC4 that I actually started leveling up a bit.

I just noticed that my PSN preorder is unlocking on the 23rd. So is the 18th for Japan or something? Or is PSN just releasing it late? That would suck.

Dahbomb

Yeah the OT should be going up soon in 3 days. Unfortunately it's going to get lost in the shuffle thanks to E3.

If anyone wants to make banners and/or logos for DMC4SE then feel free to make then and post them.

Sectus

Yeah, Sectus, go back and play 3 more so you can see how awesome Lady is in 3 and commission a picture of the superior version of her. :p

Who did that, btw?

Sorry, I much prefer DMC4 Lady. That artwork was done by Mel Rubi, he's done a lot of artwork for Red Sonja comics.

Lord Dante

Neo Member
Me and my cousin were huge Resident Evil fans at the time and when my aunt bought a PS2 for his birthday, one of his first games was Devil May Cry. At the time I had no idea it was an RE4 prototype so I was amazed how it kinda played like RE (especially the door opening sound effects) but with more action. Since then, my love for this series grew.

DMC2 came out -- and while I was disappointed but I did admire the customizable DT, the character designs, and graphics. Combat was... no comment.

Then DMC3 came out and I was breathless. The combat, characters, enviroments, weapons -- amazing! I picked up the Special Edition shortly afterwards. Playing as Vergil was so much fun!
When DMC4 launched, I was amazed by its visuals, combat and enemies. The enviroments were gorgeous and all but it's a shame that production was rushed. I wanted to know where Nero came from and what was next for Dante and the girls. But I'm definitely picking up the Special Edition to play as Trish -- I never got the chance to unlock her in DMC2.

I hoped and prayed that one day we'd get a DMC5 but unfortunetaly that never happened. I'm still awfully salty with Capcom's decision to reboot the franchise and having the journalists jump all over the fanbase as if we were the bad people for not accepting the changes. DmC was just not my cup of tea -- the boring characters, step down in combat, awful edgy story and music just didn't appeal to me.

I lost hope. But now I've regained it again thanks to DMC4SE. And maybe one day we'll see our uncle Dante again.

Y8HjBwQ.jpg

Sesha

Sorry, I much prefer DMC4 Lady. That artwork was done by Mel Rubi, he's done a lot of artwork for Red Sonja comics.

600full-devil-may-cry-3%3A-dante%27s-awakening-screenshot.jpg

You take that back.

Not familiar with his work, but from a quick google search the style is very reminiscent of Frank Cho.

Top Bottom