• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry criticize Sony's communciation about cross gen titles

LOL. Later clarified. Ya, 3 months later in September when PS5 was only a few months from launch.

Why not tell gamers in June (when the summer 2020 show happened), that PS4 versions are coming too? Same goes for Ragnarok. But that one wasnt told until last week.

And Sony said GT7 is a PS5 exclusive in their Dec 7 2020 video. Cant hide from that one. And as per articles these games have been in development with PS4 the whole time, yet they delayed communication.

What you see in ad for Miles - PlayStation exclusive.
What you see in ad for Horizon - PlayStation exclusive
What you see in ad for GT7 - PlayStation 5 exclusive
What you see in ad for Deathloop - PlayStation 5 Console exclusive
What you see in ad for Athia - PlayStation 5 Console exclusive
What you see in ad for Demon's - PlayStation 5 exclusive
What you see in ad for Ghostwire - PlayStation 5 Console exclusive
What you see in ad for Ratchet - PlayStation 5 exclusive
What you see in ad for Godfall - PlayStation 5 console exclusive
What you see in ad for Sackboy - PlayStation exclusive

Also in additin Village, NBA...these games were coming to PS5, but obviously didn't had "exclusive" banner. This was just an ad for PS5.

Last edited:
But they clearly said they were coming to PS5 and didn't announce them for PS4 when at the same PS5 reveal event they announced PS4 versions for some of their other PS5 games. At this point you just wanna pretend to be blind. They also failed to mention those games coming to PS4 in many articles and interviews they didn afterwards. How obvious can it be?

Look what've said above. It can't be more clearly. Even PS5 ad have terms PS5 exclusive and PS exclusive. Your problem how you read it.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What you see in ad for GT7 -
PlayStation exclusive

Also in additin Village, NBA...these games were coming to PS5, but obviously didn't had "exclusive" banner.
The Wire Wow GIF

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What you see in ad for GT7 - PlayStation 5 exclusive

Also in additin Village, NBA...these games were coming to PS5, but obviously didn't had "exclusive" banner. This was just an ad for PS5.
GT7 says PS5 Exclusive. Just like Ratchet, Demon Souls and Destruction All Stars. Check again.

They lied about GT7.

EDIT: i see you edited your post. But didnt bother editing your argument which has now fallen apart.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
What you see in ad for GT7 - PlayStation exclusive

Also in additin Village, NBA...these games were coming to PS5, but obviously didn't had "exclusive" banner.
Maybe you should watch the video I posted for GT7 at the 20 second mark.

It's clear cut Sony mislead gamers trying to make many of these games seem like PS5 only. GT7 is the worst as they still said PS5 exclusive in a Dec 7 2020 video.

If they were honest, they would had clearly said the cross gen games were coming to PS4 the same day as the game promoted on PS5. Instead they played cloak and dagger. It took a full year for Sony to finally admit Ragnarok and GT7 are coming to PS4 as they showed them as PS5 games last summer during their June 11 2020 show.

GT7 says PS5 Exclusive. Just like Ratchet, Demon Souls and Destruction All Stars. Check again.

They lied about GT7.

It's clear cut Sony mislead gamers trying to make many of these games seem like PS5 only. GT7 is the worst as they still said PS5 exclusive in a Dec 7 2020 video.

I've mentioned that and i've edited that before you replied

I've mentioned that GT7 is an outlier. Cheers

If they were honest, they would had clearly said the cross gen games were coming to PS4 the same day as the game promoted on PS5. Instead they played cloak and dagger. It took a full year for Sony to finally admit Ragnarok and GT7 are coming to PS4 as they showed them as PS5 games last summer during their June 11 2020 show.

Ragnarok was just teased. Ragnarok WAS NOT announced for PS5 only. It was never announced for PS5 only. Now you're spinning.
Last year in June was just a showcase for PS5. Gameplay demos and trailer which were running on PS5 to show what PS5 can do, of course you'll do that for first showing.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Btw. edited that for GT7. It says PS5 exclusive. Like i've said before, it was advertised as PS5 exclusive before.
We still don't 100% know if GT7 is PS4 and 5 or just 5. Yes they did not clarify it, but the statement did read as "exploring." As of now, their site still says PS5 only.
:pie_thinking:

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Exactly. I have mentioned this before but Jim Ryan told everyone that Horizon and Miles were cross gen 6 in September right after their conference. The same conference that ended with the GoW trailer. Why not say the same about GoW then?

Then a couple of months later, right at launch, he was asked point blank is GOW next gen? He refused to say. Literally said I have nothing to say about it right now. Why? Because it's launch and you want to mislead people who are buying your console? Of course.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I've mentioned that and i've edited that before you replied

I've mentioned that GT7 is an outlier. Cheers

Ragnarok was just teased. Ragnarok WAS NOT announced for PS5 only. It was never announced for PS5 only. Now you're spinning.
Sackboy, Horizon 2, Spidey MM, Ragnarok and GT7 were all shown during June 11 2020 show as PS5 games.

Sackboy, Horizon 2 and MM were stated as cross gen in Sept 2020, and Ragnarok and GT7 a week ago (June 2021).

You tell me why these 5 games were delayed telling PS gamers they're cross gen, when they could had told gamers in June 2020.

Exactly. I have mentioned this before but Jim Ryan told everyone that Horizon and Miles were cross gen 6 in September right after their conference. The same conference that ended with the GoW trailer. Why not say the same about GoW then?

Then a couple of months later, right at launch, he was asked point blank is GOW next gen? He refused to say. Literally said I have nothing to say about it right now. Why? Because it's launch and you want to mislead people who are buying your console? Of course.

Why he should if game wasn't that far in development ( back then ), hm??

Sackboy, Horizon 2, Spidey MM, Ragnarok and GT7 were all shown during June 11 2020 show as PS5 games.

Sackboy, Horizon 2 and MM were stated as cross gen in Sept 2020, and Ragnarok and GT7 a week ago (June 2021).

You tell me why these 5 games were delayed telling PS gamers they're cross gen, when they could had told gamers in June 2020.

Of course they were showed on PS5 because it was first PS5 showcase. How can you even conclude that they only come on the PS5 if shown on the PS5 ( same can be applied for multiplatform cross-gen games too like NBA, OMG, NBA is showed and it won't come to last gen consoles, only next-gen, :/ )?? Where the hell during that conference Sony announced games as PS5 only. A hint - you won't see it. From start till dead end of that conference. You'll only see in some trailers/gameplay showcases - Captured on PS5. Captured on PS5 surely can't mean it's coming to PS5 only. At all.
Go check individual trailers which appeared later and you'll see term in the end - "PlayStation exclusive" and that can mean or it is PS5 only or it is PS4 only or it is both. Later Sony clarified which games. End of story.

Last edited:
Ever heard of pacing? Ever understood the need to control the flow of gameplay so as not to burn the player out? The usefulness of integrating exposition/dialogue into gameplay without cutaways?

The most galling thing about this whole topic is the offensive levels of ignorance shown about the art of game design. And a frankly moronic obsessions with doing a thing because you can *ALWAYS*, and not only when it suits what's needed situationally.
Ignorance isn't nearly as galling as being knowledgeable... and then using said knowledge to portray a false narrative. You may be a developer with all the experience in the world, just as I may have absolutely none. That being said, you're absolutely full of it. You think just because you're a developer, that you can spin and twist your way through a narrative and nobody will be the wiser?
I covered this point in my post. Internal review will dictate whether to proceed or not. This is evident based on Playstation studios' product being a mixture of PS5 only and PS4/PS5 versions.

The plain fact is that if they could profitably do PS4 versions of Demons' Souls and Returnal, why wouldn't they? Its about opportunity cost, timescaling, and potential return on investment as to which why they'll go.

Anything is possible. It just comes at varying levels of risk and expense. Even if a variant build was farmed out to an external party everyone involved will have shared access to code and data repositories, with the lead SKU dev-team contributing to the master branch and the sub SKU teams deriving their stuff from that. Lead remains lead.

Is it more work? Of course. But that's only an issue if there's a lot of pressure to deliver a certain day/date. Give me a well-run multiplatform project over a single-SKU clusterfuck of strategic-steering mismanagement and creative vacillation any day of the week.

The specific issue with the Xbox scenario is the shared GDK feeding into 5 distinct variant profiles all bound together via the whole smart-delivery mechanism. Doubly so as the two Series SKU's being basically the same in terms of hardware feature-set but at different configurations in terms of memory and bandwidth. That leaves zero wiggle-room for diversification in approach between the Series SKU's because they basically are the same, just one is weaker than the other.

There is no comparable restriction on the Playstation side. You either spec for PS4 family and go up to PS5, or vice-versa. With clear distinctions in hardware and user interface featureset intrinsic to the implementation.
In this post you attempt to explain Sony's reasoning for doing a crossgen game. You ultimately pass it off as being a risk/reward scenario for each situation. Sounds good to me. However, you then go to explain in detail as to why that doesn't pertain to Xbox.
The Xbox strategy is all about uniformity of experience. The idea being something like you buy Forza and play it on your 65" big tv with your Series X, but when your partner needs screen-time you can simply switch to your office setup with a 1440p monitor attached to a Series S and continue where you left off.

Great idea, nothing wrong with it. But it demands that every SKU is exactly the same in terms of content, achievements and progression. So from a basic design perspective hands are tied, however that shouldn't preclude the higher spec SKU from employing techniques uniquely suited to its hardware to maximize benefit. For instance, PS4 Pro having special provision for checkerboarding in hardware giving some impetus for additional work on the renderer end. And if they are looking into the engine to provision support for that, they might find time to add other small tweaks.

Series X versus S doesn't have this as far as I know. The uniformity goes down to API/hardware level, meaning that the only meaningful difference between the two SKU's is likely to be in config files and other parameters. There is no reason to do more than that.

In a situation like that, common sense dictates that if you want the best result across both SKU's you max out the low spec profile, as that's the likely candidate for critical fails in terms of function and performance, then see what resources you have left over on the upper profile and just tweak up the config parameters higher.

This is the argument for why S "holds back" X. There's nothing whatsoever to be gained from diversifying the builds in terms of production efficiency, and a hell of a lot of potential issues to be solved or circumvented if you do.

That you also have to OG One, One S, and One X, and PC (at its multifarious specs and steppings) to deal with on top of that, from the same GDK.... fucking hell! I think this should make it evident why devs were less than stoked about this state of affairs.
In one of the most elaborate spins I've seen in quite some time... You twist and weave your way through a narrative that boils down to "Xbox Series S will hold back current gen, and the Series X", while simultaneously claiming that "PS4 won't hold back current gen games for PS5". It's also worth mentioning that in this post you admit to having relatively no experience with the Xbox Series S or X, or I'd assume you'd know which features it had or didn't have.
You are assuming the Xbox model which demands cross-save and cross-progression as mandatory. PS4 to PS5 does not require this.

In actuality, the reverse is true. PS5 must allow PS4 SKU's to run in native PS4 modes on PS5.
Despite just previously admitting "Series X versus S doesn't have this as far as I know." you then proceed to accuse others of assuming what Xbox does or doesn't do. While doubling down on your assertion that hardware specs matter when it comes to Xbox, but doesn't when it concerns Playstation.
I understand. But what needs to be factored in is that like any constraint, if you design intelligently you can work around it and even use it to your advantage.

For example, setting up a tunnel with a blind corner is not only a good way to hide heavy asset switching, but it allows you to do a more impactful reveal of a new scene or vista as its a surprise. A great example of this is in Dark Souls 3 where you exit from the catacombs out to the snowy city.

As I stressed before, just because you can, doesn't mean you should always. Punctuation is important in writing understandable sentences, and the sames goes for the visual grammar of storytelling in a game.

I think the key thing that a lot of people missed about Cerny's presentation was that it was a repurposed GDC address. It was intended for industry professionals who are as concerned with process as much as (if not more than) result. As a gamer you might be irked by a slow transition, but trust me, its nothing compared with having to put up with them dozens of times over a working day as you are iterating and testing the thing!
Once given a clear and precise example in which development would indeed be held back under the current situation on even PS4/PS5. You completely switch gears and dismiss the use of tunnels, elevators, etc... as necessary areas needed to allow the next level/area to load. And instead portray them as being crucial for the storytelling and even go so far as to say it can be an advantage. Especially as it pertains to the "grammar" of storytelling in a game. To reassure the reader (who's likely got a raised eyebrow at this point) that you're not completely full of shit. You make sure to reassert that they're simply "as a gamer", while you're the "industry professional", and to simply "trust me".
Its still a fallacious argument where factoring in more resources at the outset must produce a better end result than one that receives the benefit of the same resources later on in development.

You cannot treat a hypothetical, as a certainty. Especially not with game-dev.

Not every game need, nor should, be built like Rift Apart. Its entirely possible for an enhanced version of high-quality PS4 game to be better than one built exclusively for PS5.

People need to get past this superficial belief that the technology used to create the illusion and the entertainment is the significant element.
Its not that at all, its simply about having a clear vision and executing on it as flawlessly as humanly possible.
Seemingly baffled as to why people aren't just buying into your obvious lack of logic. You claim that a hypothetical can't be treated as certainty. Despite you having done exactly that throughout the thread when you said "Series X versus S doesn't have this as far as I know", and then proceeding to assume that despite admittedly not knowing.
Yes. Because all the handwringing is based on the presupposition that somehow you're missing out. Which as I've explained has no basis whatsoever in reality.

No, you're not informed! Not in the slightestt!

Do you know what the design goals are for these unpublished games? Were you party to the design and team meetings? Have you ever worked in commercial game-dev?

I have. For over 20 years. And it doesn't work like you seem think it does. If your brief is to showcase a particular aspect of the tech you end up enslaved by it; it becomes the point of the exercise not a thing that (rightfully) facilitates and enriches the creative goals of the project.

Like what exactly? The only thing intrinsic to Rift Apart's design is the ability to near seamlessly transition between locations via the titular rifts. You honestly think that shoehorning that into melee combat orientated titles like GoW would be more than a shallow gimmick? Really? Same deal with Horizon. Do you want Aloy to fight robot dinosaurs in a primitive post apocalyptic dystopia or do you want her to be zapping between dimensions willy-nilly?

Have you even thought this through?

Like I said earlier. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. That line of thinking was what led to motion controls getting wedged clumsily into a lot of games that gained nothing from them during the PS360/Wii era!

Like I said, starting out with a brief or an intent to showcase a particular piece of tech is as often a detriment to the end result as a boon. Rift Apart is a great showcase, but its built around it, and happens to be a pretty natural fit for the property. This is not true for every game.

Actually they don't. There's a difference between a PS4 game provisioned with a runtime profile for forwards compatibility and a PS5 version of a PS4 game. There is no equivalent to smart delivery on Playstation. You can have a PS4 and PS5 version installed at the same time. If they wanted to add or change stuff, they could do. That they don't is more about optics and perception than anything else.

What, like the underwater stuff in Horizon: Forbidden West. You think you're getting that level of texture detail and scene density on PS4? Hmmm....

Anyone who's worked in game-dev knows that design has barely changed in two decades. Presentation and scope have improved greatly, but the fundamentals.... not so much. The idea that faster CPU's and more capable GPU's is going to radically change every game going forwards is laughable.

I mean for all the yak about what Rift Apart is doing, Portal explored much the same ground back in 2007. The PS5 allows for a much visually richer implementation, but conceptually I don't see anything that's too dissimilar.

And what I'm saying is don't mistake a tool for the entirety of the construction.

Tools are great, they can allow you to do stuff faster and better than you can with your bare hands alone. But the thought process guiding those hands is what's important, and you simply cannot CANNOT blindly assume that the presence of a tool is the defining factor.

This is what I see being expressed and what I'm objecting to. Its like saying well PSVR exists so lets make everything be in VR or have a VR mode. FUCKING NO!

Its not to deny there are potential benefits, its just the assumption of inferiority that annoys the piss out of me. Its offensively stupid and shallow-minded.
This lengthy tirade fails on several fronts. Are you informed in the slightest? Do you know what the design goals are for these unpublished games? Were you party to the design and team meetings? Oh, I see that you state you have. Or were you just referring to the 20 years in game dev in an attempt to slyly pass yourself off as involved with these games?
Does anyone think the rift feature should be forced fit into GoW? No, but many would like a more seamless game without loading screens, QTE's, tunnels, etc... which is exactly what those devs stated they would like to achieve and tried as much as possible to do on their last one.
Do people want Aloy zapping between dimensions all willy-nilly? Of course not, but being able to perhaps ride one of the flying robot dinosaurs would be nice. Which was apparently a thing but...

The overarching goal is to create entertainment.
Entertainment is created through illusion.
Illusion can be facilitated by technique or technology.
The bedrock is of course labour.

Technology can expedite labour, but it also can become a detriment when its exploitation becomes a distraction from the mission goal or an end in its own right.
In short its a tool, the use of which can be both additive or subtractive to the quality of the final product.

The best tech does not ensure the best end result, so fixating on it is an error. Especially when in terms of scope, scale, and ambition the biggest last-gen games were already pushing the limits in terms of labour and economics.

As I've said in the past, the PS5 I/O stack's efficiency does open new doors in terms of game construction and flow, it can and should have lasting impact and benefits. However that isn't to say that it renders all previous design paradigms and methodologies redundant or obsolete, or that it absolutely has to be employed by every title going forwards.

You might be a developer, but honestly I find your entire premise falls incredibly short of being convincing. Over the years many industry developers have chimed in on similar topics. Typically they'll give an explanation as to how a process or feature works. What they don't typically do is get so emotionally bent out of shape as to explain the entire process of game design as well as which versions get chosen. Go from explaining how the risk/investment are calculated, to outsourcing, to how checkerboard rendering features help PS, to guessing as to how Xbox Series compatibility works, to explaining why features don't make sense, and to eventually outright calling people's use of logic "offensively stupid, and shallow minded."
Clear Clear - it is a waste of time trying to tell these armchair developers how games are designed. They'll never believe reality because they want to stay fixated with their platform of choice. Always Sony.. never Xbox, never Nintendo, never PC. I've informed the mods of my concern.

I'm not going to speak about this because Clear Clear is a developer and whatever he tells you is what I would tell you.
You made some reasonable posts in this thread earlier, but I've seen you get dragged through the mud here plenty of times due to your own behavior. Your obvious ass-kissing to him simply because you realized he's a developer is disappointing. It only further diminishes what little reputation you had left.

Sorry if I offend anyone, but I find it in extremely bad taste to increasingly attempt to gain influence or authority in a thread for the simple goal to be to engage in console warring. To go to such extreme lengths to perpetuate a myth where two very similar consoles differ wildly when it comes to lower spec hardware holding back higher spec is pathetic.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Ignorance isn't nearly as galling as being knowledgeable... and then using said knowledge to portray a false narrative. You may be a developer with all the experience in the world, just as I may have absolutely none. That being said, you're absolutely full of it. You think just because you're a developer, that you can spin and twist your way through a narrative and nobody will be the wiser?

No spin. No twist. The problem is yours and yours alone.

The only reason I mentioned Xbox at all was to outline fundamental policy differences. There is no console warrior element in my posts, it exists only in your imagination.

And seriously, when by your own admittance you know nothing, why should I care what you believe?

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Here’s my thing: I’ve seen a lot of comments from named devs working on games stating that cross gen holds game development back. So, who am I supposed to believe? Them? Or anonymous posters on GAF?

It really depends on the context and precise definition of what "holding back" means for them and their project.

Obviously if you are working on multiple SKU's its more work and inevitably going to take longer than if the same number of seats were assigned to a single target.
Furthermore what could be problematic to achieve within a fixed resource budget is going to vary depending on the skill and ingenuity of the team.

Stop looking for blunt simplistic answers to multi-faceted problems!

All I can do is keep pointing out what the most ambitious last-gen titles managed to achieve using near decade old-tech. That's the baseline to which things are being "held back" conceptually and technologically. Is something like RDR2 really so limited by having to be able to run on Jaguar cores and streamed from 5400rpm 2.5" platter drives?

What exactly are you looking for with a game of that scope beyond better framerate, resolution and all-round fidelity?

Last edited:

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What exactly are you looking for with a game of that scope beyond better framerate, resolution and all-round fidelity?
More complex AI, more numerous AI, more complex object interactions, better pathfinding, more complex world building and dynamic events/scripts?

kyliethicc

I'm finding it hard to care. Sony's been overpromising and under delivering for years. This is nothing new.

Some folks will take em to task, others will move the goalposts for them like good little fanboys.

I personally think it's good business and necessary for their biggest games. I don't think anybody disagrees with that. But I also don't think it will diminish the quality of the games Sony puts out.

By mid gen this will all be a distant memory.
And that's the gospel truth to be honest.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Is the "incrementalness" of the complex gameplay refinements not related to the "incrementalness" of the CPU budget upgrades?

Not necessarily, no. Its precisely the sort of code that can be optimized through iteration and careful resource management.
"AI" is one of the most misunderstood aspects of game design because the "intelligence" part is a misnomer. Autonomous intelligence is generally undesirable because the more variable the response the harder it gets to debug and balance for gameplay purposes. Game design is about control after all.

The reality is what's actually wanted is the illusion of intelligence, which really isn't the same thing at all. Its mostly about having an extended range of canned behaviours and reactions that are convincingly presented. To a large degree its actually an animation limitation, and if you look at the advances made by, for example, ND with the motion-blending in TLOU2, you can see proof that it doesn't in fact require new hardware to produce massively improved results. Just better technique.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Not necessarily, no. Its precisely the sort of code that can be optimized through iteration and careful resource management.
"AI" is one of the most misunderstood aspects of game design because the "intelligence" part is a misnomer. Autonomous intelligence is generally undesirable because the more variable the response the harder it gets to debug and balance for gameplay purposes. Game design is about control after all.

The reality is what's actually wanted is the illusion of intelligence, which really isn't the same thing at all. Its mostly about having an extended range of canned behaviours and reactions that are convincingly presented. To a large degree its actually an animation limitation, and if you look at the advances made by, for example, ND with the motion-blending in TLOU2, you can see proof that it doesn't in fact require new hardware to produce massively improved results. Just better technique.
Not necessarily, but can it, and has that been a factor in the past?

Wouldn't better CPU and better optimization be different solutions to the same problem, with one sometimes being more feasible than the other? It's not always possible to dedicate lots of time towards optimization, especially if the option to throw better specs at the problem is an available one.

Just because more complex AI could potentially be undesirable from a gameplay and game dev perspective doesn't really have anything to do with my point, though. It's not always the case, and and if higher complexities and more numerous AI NPCs is a stated design goal, wouldn't having a better CPU make that all the more achievable?

BlackTron

Imagine if Mario Odyssey was revealed at a show all about games for Nintendo's new system coming out.

SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY, NINTENDO EXCLUSIVE! Shown on Switch hardware. After the trailer, people trade in their Wii U (and throw in their grandma's camry) just to PREORDER the Switch.

Once the dust settles from the hardware's record breaking and earth shattering launch, it's revealed that, in fact, Wii U will get Odyssey as well.

But you can't even really be mad, because they said NINTENDO EXCLUSIVE after all. Silly customer, with your abysmal reading comprehension.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
I really appreciated that Microsoft was crystal clear and transparent from the beginning about their Cross-Generation Strategy instead of misleading their Customers and Fan's.
Really? Then I look forward to play Flight Simulator on Xbox One. They promised all first-party would be cross-gen for the first 2 years. Wait it's not coming? PHIL LIED and abandoned his fans!!! You don't mind? Where is the outrage?

sinnergy

^ Some Sony fans are so sensitive 🤣 totally not the same .. Phil clearly said some games are Next-gen only . While explaining they would go cross-gen for the first years. While Sony on the other hand kept repeating how PS5 was a clear cut from this gen and that they did this because they believed in generations.

And who knows Flight sim will make it on Xbox One .

Three

Imagine if Mario Odyssey was revealed at a show all about games for Nintendo's new system coming out.

SUPER MARIO ODYSSEY, NINTENDO EXCLUSIVE! Shown on Switch hardware. After the trailer, people trade in their Wii U (and throw in their grandma's camry) just to PREORDER the Switch.

Once the dust settles from the hardware's record breaking and earth shattering launch, it's revealed that, in fact, Wii U will get Odyssey as well.

But you can't even really be mad, because they said NINTENDO EXCLUSIVE after all. Silly customer, with your abysmal reading comprehension.
Nintendo never say exclusive because for them it's a given. Switch got so many cross gen ports though that I don't know what your point is. They left Wii U in the dust but were there complaints that the majority of games are just Wii U ports and don't utilise switch? Not really. There should have been.

^ Some Sony fans are so sensitive 🤣 totally not the same .. Phil clearly said some games are Next-gen only . While explaining they would go cross-gen for the first years. While Sony on the other hand kept repeating how PS5 was a clear cut from this gen and that they did this because they believed in generations.

No he didn't. Matt booty however said:

“As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices,” Booty explains. “We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content.”

Make note of ALL OF OUR GAMES from the head of xbox games. This was promoted as 'pro-consumer' here by the regular fans.
Sad part is that they literally released hardly any new games for either XS or XO since making this "commitment".

Last edited:

GhostOfTsu

Banned

FALSE! That's not what they said.

And show me in the full quote below where Jim said all games would be PS5 only. Everything you said is 100% made up. It's just the narrative you keep pushing, mostly coming from Xbox fans and HE LIED bs. Do not start shaking like DarkMage and show me where.

"It's been a real rollercoaster of a year," Ryan tells us. "We realised a couple of months ago that we were going to have to spend a lot more time paying attention to the PS4 community than we had anticipated, as that community, along with everybody else in the world, went into lockdown.

"We have always felt that we had a responsibility to serve that [PS4] community for several years after the launch of PS5 and that it represented a huge business opportunity for us," Ryan says. "The numbers are quite straightforward. If you say in broad brush figures that we have a community of 100 million PS4 owners right now, and in the first couple of years... I don't know, somewhere between 15 and 25 million might migrate to PS5, that still leaves a huge number of people with PS4s. And that community is demonstrating an amazing stickiness, and willingness to stay engaged that, I think, the events of the past few months have just reinforced what we knew already.

"We have always said that we believe in generations. We believe that when you go to all the trouble of creating a next-gen console, that it should include features and benefits that the previous generation does not include. And that, in our view, people should make games that can make the most of those features.

"We do believe in generations, and whether it's the DualSense controller, whether it's the 3D audio, whether it's the multiple ways that the SSD can be used... we are thinking that it is time to give the PlayStation community something new, something different, that can really only be enjoyed on PS5."

GhostOfTsu

Banned
No he didn't. Matt booty however said:

“As our content comes out over the next year, two years, all of our games, sort of like PC, will play up and down that family of devices,” Booty explains. “We want to make sure that if someone invests in Xbox between now and [Series X] that they feel that they made a good investment and that we’re committed to them with content.”

Make note of ALL OF OUR GAMES from the head of xbox games. This was promoted as 'pro-consumer' here by the regular fans.
Sad part is that they literally released hardly any new games for either XS or XO since making this "commitment".
And then Phil said this gem. An absolute bold-faced lie and yet they are completely mum about this. An actual lie. Not like Jim where they just cut the full quote and made multiple articles about it.

www.gamesradar.com/amp/phil-spencer-defends-xboxs-cross-gen-exclusivity-approach/

Later in the interview, he expanded on his thoughts regarding next-gen game exclusivity, highlighting his passionate view that gamers should be able to play Xbox games on whatever platform they want. Spencer said: "Gaming is about entertainment and community and diversion and learning new stories and new perspectives, and I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games. Or to force someone to buy my specific device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about."

And then Phil said this gem. An absolute bold-faced lie and yet they are completely mum about this. An actual lie. Not like Jim where they just cut the full quote and made multiple articles about it.

www.gamesradar.com/amp/phil-spencer-defends-xboxs-cross-gen-exclusivity-approach/
People aren't complaining about this because the reason why Flight Sim isn't coming to Xbone is because it looks too damn good. It's a really nice problem to have, you know. There's a big difference between announcing a next-gen game and making it cross-gen, and announcing a cross-gen game and making it next-gen. With the former, you lose something. With the latter you win something, eventually.

People aren't complaining about this because the reason why Flight Sim isn't coming to Xbone is because it looks too damn good. It's a really nice problem to have, you know. There's a big difference between announcing a next-gen game and making it cross-gen, and announcing a cross-gen game and making it next-gen. With the former, you lose something. With the latter you win something, eventually.
Also the games aren't locked away as Phil said because you don't need an Xbox at all to play them, Flight Simulator as the case is here. Let's see how many people are upset that that game may not be on X1.

Three

Why would not being able to play a game you expected and told you were able to play on your XB1 winning something in this case? Especially if you can't get a new console? The game isn't going to change its scale or ambition on anything considering it was already developed for PC only. You win nothing, you lose an option.

Last edited:
Why would not being able to play a game you expected and told you were able to play on your XB1 winning something in this case? Especially if you can't get a new console? The game isn't going to change its scale or ambition on anything considering it was already developed for PC only. You win nothing, you lose an option.
You win a next gen game, eventually. You lose an option, temporarily. It's not a big deal.

Three

You win a next gen game, eventually. You lose an option, temporarily. It's not a big deal.
But the next gen game isn't held back because the game is an old PC only game. I don't see how them not sticking to their commitment or possible "lie" to scale it down for XB1 would be a win in any logical way. I think you're being silly to be honest.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
so with the games being cross gen do you buy one copy of the game and it works on both PS4 and Ps5 or do you have to buy separate versions. obvs back combat on ps5 will play ps4 version but will buying ps5 version allow you to play a ps4 version?

Three

so with the games being cross gen do you buy one copy of the game and it works on both PS4 and Ps5 or do you have to buy separate versions. obvs back combat on ps5 will play ps4 version but will buying ps5 version allow you to play a ps4 version?
Buying a PS5 version gives you access to both. Some games don't differentiate and you always get both some if you buy PS4 you don't get a PS5 version.

Last edited:
But the next gen game isn't held back because the game is an old PC only game. I don't see how them not sticking to their commitment or possible "lie" to scale it down for XB1 would be a win in any logical way. I think you're being silly to be honest.
You don't see it because you don't want to see it. It's a next-gen only game for a reason. Calling it an old PC game (lmao) doesn't change that.

Three

You don't see it because you don't want to see it. It's a next-gen only game for a reason. Calling it an old PC game (lmao) doesn't change that.
See what? If it's a next gen only game for a reason then they shouldn't have made that commitment or false statement in the first place. You don't "win" anything though with it not coming to XB1 because it's an already released (sensitive much?) game which can't have its scope changed on PC or next gen.

Last edited:
See what? If it's a next gen only game for a reason then they shouldn't have made that commitment or false statement in the first place. You don't "win" anything though with it not coming to XB1 because it's an already released (sensitive much?) game which can't have its scope changed on PC or next gen.
I assume they thought they could manage to downgrade it enough to run on the Xbone, but then realized they really can't. Instead of compromising the console version, they went with releasing it on next-gen only. That's a win for everyone who owns or will eventually own an XSX/S. This has nothing to do with PC.

Three

I assume they thought they could manage to downgrade it enough to run on the Xbone, but then realized they really can't. Instead of compromising the console version, they went with releasing it on next-gen only. That's a win for everyone who owns or will eventually own an XSX/S. This has nothing to do with PC.
But it was coming to XSS/XSX anyway so what do you "win"? You're purposefully being obtuse.

Last edited:

zedinen

1.Sony's shady marketing deserves criticism

2.Beware of the fake outrage. Out of the 3, Sony is the one actually releasing constantly very high quality games

3.PS5 version of cross-gen games might surprise disappointed gamers

4.Cross-gen games are pro-consumer. There are 80M+ active users on PS4

5.RE Village was the most downloaded PS4 game in EU and JP (and #2 in the US/Canada)

No spin. No twist. The problem is yours and yours alone.

The only reason I mentioned Xbox at all was to outline fundamental policy differences. There is no console warrior element in my posts, it exists only in your imagination.

And seriously, when by your own admittance you know nothing, why should I care what you believe?
Well that's one way to dodge it I suppose. Give blanket non sequiturs, and simply dismiss it as being my problem.

The only reason you mentioned Xbox at all is anyone's guess. I could've missed that someone asked you specifically about Xbox, or to compare the two. Not that it matters. For someone having approximately the same experience developing for the Series S/X as I do though, you sure do assume to be quite the authority on the matter.

Your absolutely right though. There's absolutely no reason for you to care about what I believe. You definitely shouldn't care about the points I raised about your fud spreading technique either. Nothing good would result from caring about either.

So continue that spin bud. You go right ahead and continue to give single example answers for multi-faceted questions, while simultaneously claiming the opposite. Carry on with your claims that runs counter to almost every professional developer that has spoken on those matters. Make sure you continue to do so as if it was all a forgone conclusion too. Otherwise the comedic effect would be lost.

Been completely out of the loop but gt7 is deffo cross gen? That is gonna suck ass if so.
Oh no it won't. Contrary to,

What you believe.
Basic logic.
Rational thinking.
What developers say.
Past examples.
Popular belief.

Unlike the Series S... The PS4 in no way can hold back anything aside from basic resolution/fps on PS5.

Unbeknownst to many, we have a wizard who knows all concerning the gaming industry who has graciously informed us of this. Pay no mind to his fake crystal ball, his glued on beard, or his cheap costume. Lest he smites you with unimaginable amounts of bs.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Well that's one way to dodge it I suppose. Give blanket non sequiturs, and simply dismiss it as being my problem.

The only reason you mentioned Xbox at all is anyone's guess. I could've missed that someone asked you specifically about Xbox, or to compare the two. Not that it matters. For someone having approximately the same experience developing for the Series S/X as I do though, you sure do assume to be quite the authority on the matter.

Your absolutely right though. There's absolutely no reason for you to care about what I believe. You definitely shouldn't care about the points I raised about your fud spreading technique either. Nothing good would result from caring about either.

So continue that spin bud. You go right ahead and continue to give single example answers for multi-faceted questions, while simultaneously claiming the opposite. Carry on with your claims that runs counter to almost every professional developer that has spoken on those matters. Make sure you continue to do so as if it was all a forgone conclusion too. Otherwise the comedic effect would be lost.

You don't accept my opinions and observations are made in good faith, you outright claim that I'm console warring/spreading fud, and dismiss my years of experience in development as being irrelevant in terms of giving me insight into development practices and what that means for the end product.

What sort of response do you expect from me? :D
Being rude and proudly proclaiming that your views are uninformed ones doesn't encourage me to read your posts or treat you as worth responding to.

FYI I mentioned Xbox for 2 reasons only: Primarily to point out the difference in deployment strategy (Smart Delivery) and how the existence of current gen hardware at two stepping levels (Series S and Series X) muddies the waters a bit in terms of what commentators might mean when talking about multi-platform delivery being "held back". Bottom line being that Sony and MS are going about things in quite different ways, and so when comparing the two you shouldn't conflate their respective strengths and weaknesses. Both have their pros and cons.

Top Bottom