• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dog and dog owner injured in Victoria after cat attacks seven pit bulls

Status
Not open for further replies.

Renekton

Thanks to this thread, I went to youtube random cat-dog fight.

Stuff was brutal. One was an
untrained pitbull who slowly murdered a poor cat, toying with it while it bled.
D:

Dogs >>> cats.

Cat owners are strange people

5f5990580a7eb6c0f4f0fbb51c78f573.gif

NekoFever

How can you even tell.

Also he moves the dog to the outside before getting to the kitten.

Posture and stance. He looks relaxed the whole time. Hauling a dog off something takes effort and you'd be able to see him setting his feet and using his arms if he was putting any in.

Monocle

I once scratched my bosses face and hissed at him when he wouldn't give me a raise. Went better than expected, honestly.
It helps to communicate in a way your superiors can understand. Don't be fooled by phrases such as "Have you lost your mind?" Or "Get the hell out of my office before I have security throw you out of the building!"

Some people respond this way to mask their growing respect for you. Probably to avoid making you uncomfortable with their initial instinct to offer up their job and car keys.

Can confirm it works, i tried it and it didn't take more than five minutes until they scheduled me a meeting with HR. Presumably to talk about my imminent promotion.
Congratulations!

People really underestimate how violent cats can be for what it seems no apparent reason. The vet almost had to put mine to sleep because the situation was getting way too dangerous. Thankfully there was an actual "animal psychologist" who observed her behavior and managed to advise on what to change at home. She (our cat) eventually changed her behavior and became much more calmer. We still have to be very careful with strangers though.
It's amazing how little things can influence so much of an animal's behavior.

Piers

Posture and stance. He looks relaxed the whole time. Hauling a dog off something takes effort and you'd be able to see him setting his feet and using his arms if he was putting any in.

This is probably why I wouldn't mind attaching a Go Pro sort of device to the collar of my (hypothetic) dog because some owners can be incredibly stubborn and selfish towards lack of discipline to their dog — such as letting it attack someone else's and then defend this by arguing that the other dog was aggravating theirs.

Liljagare

People really underestimate how violent cats can be for what it seems no apparent reason. The vet almost had to put mine to sleep because the situation was getting way too dangerous. Thankfully there was an actual "animal psychologist" who observed her behavior and managed to advise on what to change at home. She (our cat) eventually changed her behavior and became much more calmer. We still have to be very careful with strangers though.
It's amazing how little things can influence so much of an animal's behavior.

I can just say, know that feeling. We rearranged furniture at home, one of our cats was chill, the other went right on berzerk mode. Thought the cat had a stroke or something, suited up to shove it into a cage and took it to the vet.

The cat was completely calm at the vet, who just asked if we had done something at home... ...

Went home, moved the furniture back, cat was normal again. :\ Lil' bugger. But noway did I know before that just how fierce a 2,5 kg cat can look.. :eek: oven mitts and leather jacket was needed.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Aside from the fact he should've walked off as soon as he realised what was happening, what did the dog owner do wrong? Oh right. Nothing.

Eh, I would agree with you, but why tf were they filming it? They knew they were gonna go have a dog eat a kitten or some shit.

Mik2121

As an ex-owner of a dog and a current owner of a cat, both are awesome and both have their good and bad sides. My current cat likes to be pet and held more than my old dog, and he loves to spend all day near my wife, my baby or me. Not all dogs are cold and distant.

People having those discussions sound so silly when they are actually serious...

One thing I'll say though, is that I have seen a ton of terrible dog owners (using their dogs to intimidate or otherwise), whereas (obviously?) that doesn't really happen with any cat owner.

Ruddles72

But I thought cats like rekt dogs.

Dogs are more domesticated than cats. Many breeds that have been selected as companion-dogs will get beaten up by a cat because they don't really have the instincts. It'll also depend on whose territory it is. If the cat is on dog territory, the dog will be much more combative. If the dog is on cat territory, the dog might just say "Meh, not worth it".

Dogs have much higher bite strength than cats. Although domestic dogs are still generally weaker biters than most wild carnivores like hyenas or coyotes or wolves.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1564077/pdf/rspb20042986.pdf

Personally, I love both dogs and cats. They're both cute.

kswiston

Serious question, how often does that happen? Because you hear often of dogs killing little kids, but i have never heard about cats doing that

Barring diseases like rabies coming into play, I don't think that a cat is actually capable of killing a little kid (not counting sitting on a newborn or something). House cats are usually 8-20 lbs. A cat going nuts on you typically just means some scratches that need to be treated with alcohol and bandages.

The types of dogs that kill people several times that size. The dog equivalent to a cat is something like a shih tzu. How many shih tzu related fatalities have you heard of?

zeemumu

Not too big on cats. They're rough and coarse and irritating, and they get everywhere.

Story is crazy though. Seven pits? damn.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
Barring diseases like rabies coming into play, I don't think that a cat is actually capable of killing a little kid (not counting sitting on a newborn or something). House cats are usually 8-20 lbs. A cat going nuts on you typically just means some scratches that need to be treated with alcohol and bandages.

The types of dogs that kill people several times that size. The dog equivalent to a cat is something like a shih tzu. How many shih tzu related fatalities have you heard of?

I'm guessing you've never felt a full force cat bite? They're teeth cut through you like you're butter. Pair that, with their instinctual urge to aim for the neck of their prey, I think a cat is capable of killing a baby. I think it's way harder, obviously, and fairly unlikely that a cat would be angered enough by an infant to have it try to kill the baby.

They're rough and coarse and irritating, and they get everywhere.

none of this makes sense to me

kswiston

I'm guessing you've never felt a full force cat bite? They're teeth cut through you like you're butter. Pair that, with their instinctual urge to aim for the neck of their prey, I think a cat is capable to kill a baby. I think it's way harder, obviously, and fairly unlikely that a cat would be angered enough by an infant to have it try to kill the baby.

I thought we were talking about little kids? a 10lb baby and a 30lb toddler aren't the same thing.

kswiston

Yeah, noticed that. lol whoops. Kid, there's no way.

It just boils down to capacity. There are ill tempered dogs and cats. However, every large breed or powerful medium breed dog is physically capable of killing a kid (and the most powerful breeds can kill adults). The vast majority never would, but when they do go crazy a lot of damage is done. A crazy cat is much more limited by its size, even though we have all seen some pretty bad tempered cats.

[boots]

Dog's are complete shit. There's a reason why being called a dog is one of the worst insults in just about any culture.

Reverse the genders and see what happens. People would call for the dogs to be put down, but when a cat does it, it's all "cute" and "dogs are such cowards"

Something similar happened to my uncle's pit bull. A street cat scratched its nose, causing an infection that killed it in 2 weeks.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
[boots];214099716 said:
Dog's are complete shit. There's a reason why being called a dog is one of the worst insults in just about any culture.

Not as much as being called a pussy

The article left out this quote:

“The dog had the cat in her mouth, by the back of the throat, and it looked like our cat was a rag doll,” the cat owner said. “It looked like our cat was dead and I thought the dogs were going to rip it apart.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom