• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

kie25

Yes, did that after my previous post, mapped throttle to the right stick, here's how it went:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C5SIRMzcHo

Spoiler alert, i beat the challenge on my very first attempt, even though it wasn't even a good lap. I severely overshot the braking point on the first big corner due to not being used to the "new" top speed and felt overall a bit uncomfortable with this input, but it was still enough to come in under the required time.

It's amazing what a difference a different throttle input made. Now i wonder for how long this has been holding me back and how much better i could have done on some past tour events and challenges. Just the other day i was going to mention that i don't understand people saying this tour was too easy, because it felt harder to me than the last few. Besides Channel Hopping, i've also struggled with a couple of other events (California Games and the first race of the 04 German Sports series in India both gave me quite a hard time and i needed a good number of attempts to beat them). Can't say i'm a fan of throttle on right stick though, so this won't be a permanent solution for me.

It'll soon be a year since i bought my PS4, so i'll see if i can get the controller replaced before that, but i fear the store will just send it off and i'll be out of a controller for a few weeks until they sort it out. I see you can also get replacement rubber pads on ebay, but i'll check my other options first.

Anyway, thanks for your help, this could've gone on for who knows how long and i would have been none the wiser.

Glad I spotted it for you :) I remember it happening to me it's apparently a fault with the controller and sony should actually repair or replace out off warranty I think but not 100% sure, it won't effect games like cod etc only racing games really, but glad you got it well done :)

Glad I spotted it for you :) I remember it happening to me it's apparently a fault with the controller and sony should actually repair or replace out off warranty I think but not 100% sure, it won't effect games like cod etc only racing games really, but glad you got it well done :)

Switched throttle to x and went on to beat Stormbreakers quite easily as well to get back to 1035/1035. Also beat the level 62-65 time trials while i was at it, i could never have done it with the busted R2. Throttle on x feels better than on right stick, but not as good as on R2, so i'll still see if i can get a replacement.

ZalXII

Looks like your r2 has had it mate your car is not accelerating properly happened with me ages ago when I used pad, have you got a spare pad?
Someone should make a thread about this. I'm wondering how many poeple probably have this problem without knowing it, in particular when DC is the only racing game they possess. You can test shoulder buttons with DS4Windows or different DS4 programs on PC.

We've certainly not hit the ceiling yet!
60 fps??? DC feels like 60 most of the time, but i can imagine a true 60 is even better.

PDogg

Neo Member
Switched throttle to x and went on to beat Stormbreakers quite easily as well to get back to 1035/1035. Also beat the level 62-65 time trials while i was at it, i could never have done it with the busted R2. Throttle on x feels better than on right stick, but not as good as on R2, so i'll still see if i can get a replacement.

I've broken my R2 multiple times, it's typically a snapped hinge which means your R2 stays stuck down or behaves very oddly, you should be able to tell immediately though so I'm not sure what's happened to yours because you'd know.. If you wiggle the R2 up and down slightly can you see if the hinge has snapped?

Having swapped a fair few now I can tell you that the replacements break very easily too. I read that if you open up the controller and remove the small spring from the R2 housing you can use the broken hinged R2 button absolutely fine. Well, I appreciate it sounds odd, but it does actually work because the rubber cover over the button underneath acts as a spring instead. If you have the correct screwdriver it's an easy fix and your R2 will work fine without needing to buy anything..

There's a video online, I'll try and find it.

EDIT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIYWv0ijcdo

There are many alternatives for you out there already. Let us have one great arcadish track racing game.

I'm with you on this. Far too many open world racers with poor track design and strange physics. Not much has been improved upon since Midnight Club 2 in that sub genre.

I'd love a 60FPS Morpheus mode once that arrives, even if it's just to let us sit in the cars and look around! Seeing how the engine never seems stressed no matter whats thrown at it, I'd guess it might be able to do a 60FPS Morpheus time trial mode with no weather, that'd be fantastic!

knavish

I'd love a 60FPS Morpheus mode once that arrives, even if it's just to let us sit in the cars and look around! Seeing how the engine never seems stressed no matter whats thrown at it, I'd guess it might be able to do a 60FPS Morpheus time trial mode with no weather, that'd be fantastic!

100% agreed mate, love to see that. although i fear morpheus may induce some motion sickness for me lol

I wish the road was nicer, it's a real shame most of the surface deformation detail is lost, because there is great detail there.

That'd be my area to improve first.

Follow that with improvements to lower detail versions of cars so we don't end up with some cars in the distance looking like their reversing because their tail lights turn white.

Also the flickering of said tail lights or other distant lights.

And shadow detail, key among them being the shadow you see from the fencing on the cambered corner on Maple. Pains me seeing it improve in resolution as I drive round every time :p

One thing I would like but unrealistic and I want more due to curiosity rather than gameplay improvements would be the implementation of weather seasons. I don't think I have seen a single game do change of seasons well. Most likely due to having to have four different versions of almost everything.

One thing I would like but unrealistic and I want more due to curiosity rather than gameplay improvements would be the implementation of weather seasons. I don't think I have seen a single game do change of seasons well. Most likely due to having to have four different versions of almost everything.
That would be cool, especially given the great effort put into trees and foliage in this game.

Never been, but I'm guessing it might mean those Canadian mountains would become a lot more snowy and stuff like that.

Auctopus

I wouldn't say it's unrealistic at all but it would take a hell a lot of work. It would also be heavy on the HDD as it'd probably require some shiny new textures.

lordxar

There are many alternatives for you out there already. Let us have one great arcadish track racing game.

Could be as simple as stitching the ptp tracks together randomly in a loop. I'd be happy with that. Sometimes I want to just drive and ptp tracks are too short and loops get old eventually. I tend to hate open world racers, at least the ones I've tried but I do like to just zone out and feel the road as it were.

airjoca

vbWs3UH.png

Auctopus

I wonder what could constitute as a 'surprise' in Driveclub. I doubt it's something they've already promised i.e. private lobbies.

Looking forward to it nonetheless, interested by the handling improvements to the two worst handling cars in the game too :)

I've broken my R2 multiple times, it's typically a snapped hinge which means your R2 stays stuck down or behaves very oddly, you should be able to tell immediately though so I'm not sure what's happened to yours because you'd know.. If you wiggle the R2 up and down slightly can you see if the hinge has snapped?

Having swapped a fair few now I can tell you that the replacements break very easily too. I read that if you open up the controller and remove the small spring from the R2 housing you can use the broken hinged R2 button absolutely fine. Well, I appreciate it sounds odd, but it does actually work because the rubber cover over the button underneath acts as a spring instead. If you have the correct screwdriver it's an easy fix and your R2 will work fine without needing to buy anything..

There's a video online, I'll try and find it.

EDIT - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIYWv0ijcdo

Hey!

Thanks for your thoughts on this and for looking up that video. I tried to wiggle my R2 button, but i don't notice anything unusual, so i don't think the hinge has broken. It seems what happened to my DS4 is closer to this guy's experience:

http://community.eu.playstation.com/t5/PS4/DualShock-4-R2-not-working-with-full-range/td-p/22445459

The trigger works fine as long as you don't need a gradual input like when using throttle in a racing game, although now that i've tested it a bit, it does require a harder press to register than the L2 button. For example, scrolling through menus in MGSV: GZ, it registers L2 when it's 50% pressed in, while R2 takes almost a full press before it registers. Same for shooting in the game. Although, i have finished Arkham Knight and Guacamelee STCE recently and it worked well enough with those games.

Anyway, i caved in and bought a new DS4 today, i got it for 10% off, so i didn't feel quite as bad about it, even though it's still expensive. I'll send in the old one for repairs next week, since it's still in warranty (Only until the 19th this month though, that was close!).

I went back and played some of the recent tour events with the new DS4 today and it felt amazing, i immediately improved a bunch of my times. Like another user mentioned above, one really has to wonder how many people are unknowingly having this problem and are getting frustrated at the game because of it, like i did. What did me in was that the challenges i struggled with all used cars which i don't use much or at all, so i didn't notice that something was off about the acceleration.

Apeboy

As someone who drives exclusively in cockpit mode I sure hope cockpit lighting gets another pass. Cockpit view is grey, washed out suffers from lack of contrast.

Wipers/glare. Rain and glare effects are awesome, second to none. We get it.

Ability to move the drivers seat. Renault is fun to drive and all but in cockpit view the top of the windshield is really just a black line across your screen.

airjoca

Wat does this image say? I'm in Turkey at the moment and apparently the imgur site is censored and not reachable from here,

This months update includes:

Free Car
Car statistics in garage and car select
Elite levels 66-75
VUHL and Rimac handling improvements
A surprise to be revealed later

I wonder what could constitute as a 'surprise' in Driveclub. I doubt it's something they've already promised i.e. private lobbies.

Looking forward to it nonetheless, interested by the handling improvements to the two worst handling cars in the game too :)
I'm sure we'll find out in due course creator.

Duallusion

I went back and played some of the recent tour events with the new DS4 today and it felt amazing, i immediately improved a bunch of my times. Like another user mentioned above, one really has to wonder how many people are unknowingly having this problem and are getting frustrated at the game because of it, like i did. What did me in was that the challenges i struggled with all used cars which i don't use much or at all, so i didn't notice that something was off about the acceleration.

The easiest way to test this is in a race with AI having the same car as you. If they accelerate faster from the start line, your R2 is fucked.

I asked about this around 10 pages ago (if everyone else's AI accelerates faster in the same car or just mine) but nobody responded so I eventually figured out it was the pad. Makes me wonder how much time I'm loosing in time trials/races but I can't be arsed bying a new pad right now.

If they don't release private lobby this month that will be taking the piss. Almost a year since launch, season pass over, and we still can't play privately with friends (or have more than 5 of them join you to play the random events). Bit of a joke. It's the one big thing lacking in an otherwise amazing game.

down 2 orth

Would anyone like to join my club? We've got two spots open, we're ranked around 6300 and I kind of want to see how far we can push that, but just for fun.

PSN: positivevibr8ion

kie25

If they don't release private lobby this month that will be taking the piss. Almost a year since launch, season pass over, and we still can't play privately with friends (or have more than 5 of them join you to play the random events). Bit of a joke. It's the one big thing lacking in an otherwise amazing game.

Rushy didn't mention them and I know they want to get them done properly before releasing, so I don't think they will be coming this month. Id rather them be working properly and have plenty options over releasing it when they are not ready. The main reason for the delay was the ps plus version as the server team would been working flat out to improve servers to get ps plus out, so it's kinda understandable why they have taken this long.

desu

Suggestion for a patch, Rushy.

When finishing a Random Event, an option for "Next Random Event" on the after rave tile screen.

Was my exact same suggestion right after playing my first random event :D (as well as being able to configure the which aspects are random like event type, country or car class).

Shaneus

i wouldn't mind an open world driveclub.
Nope. Driving isn't about exploring in DC, it's about the cars and wonderfully detailed circuits/P2P races. It's about keeping the variables as tight as possible per challenge to ensure the only difference between one time and another is skill, not which shortcut one took or which tune was better.

Bingo.

You won't quit with the Lancia talk. God I hope they do it, just to see your reaction. :)
I just want more lower-tier cars! And events. Please :(

5taquitos

Well I had set a score the round before and then had to drive against myself (I guess your explanation of being the top score might make sense). Just never had that happen before.

I always assumed this happened because there was a problem talking with the face-off servers.

kie25

I always assumed this happened because there was a problem talking with the face-off servers.

It happens allot because the servers loose the data I feel, as the amount times I've had to set a top average speed again when I've set it about 100 times in the same car because it's lost my prev best, if I don't play for a week etc most my face offs vanish and I have to re do them. Just my guess as I'm always finding that mine reset I only ever look at average speed as drifts I don't do and cornering 1s are normally not the fastest lines so I don't bother with them.

Sintoid

Anyone tried Driveclub Plus Edition with season pass? I have complete Driveclub on Blu Ray all but DLCs. I would love to play the remaining of the game without having the BD of the game in the disc tray, is that possible using this version? And what about the save states? Are they compatibile between Plus Edition and Standard Edition? I suppose so because you can upgrade from PS to Standard, it would be very lazy that a "downgrade" makes your savestate unusable...

Tell me everything, Gaf!

Top Bottom