• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DRIVECLUB |OT2| You Can't Rush Evolution

So, I'm sitting in front of my tv today raging at this game (PS+ Edition) while my girlfriend and dog watch on as I angrily curse the game and the world. I know the PS+ Edition is free and there's things that are limited but my god did they really shaft you. I just wasn't feeling any of the cars that were offered and told my gf this feels like a forcing purchase, as if they were giving you jack shit making you want more to actually enjoy the game. Tossing the questionable driving mechanic aside, I didn't properly feel like the PS+ Edition would sway many to buy the full game (just matter of opinion).

Now with that being said, I actually purchased the full version (or basically paid the $25 to unlock the game), downloaded the Sakura series, and tried the game again. I will admit that I'm having a hell of a better time with it in just a matter of a couple of hours than I did when I initially played it. I'm glad the dlc events aren't no more than $2, because as I play and complete various ones, I can easily purchase another to do without dropping a ton of cash. I do feel myself feeling more at ease with the full version than I did over the "free" version of the game, with more event, track and car options being available to me now.

I will still say this is the hardest racing game I've played, as it punishes the fuck out of you for the simplest mistakes, as it feels like oversteering takes little to no effort, but...it's growing on me. I'm sure a little more time with it, and I'll get it down packed to where I'll look back and laugh that I was actually having trouble with the driving.

P.S.: The weather mechanic in this game is unbelievable. Most def set a bar for future racers. I'm a huuuuge Forza fan and as happy as I am with F6 getting weather, DC has probably spoiled it for me.

Hey folks. I'm coming back to DC after a few months away. I bought the season pass back when I was playing. What's the best/simplest way to DL all the content? Am I going to have to snag each on individually in the store?

Also, any word on a possible digital sale on this below the current $25? I have the disc but want to get this on my HDD for instant access any time I feel the racing itch.

Korezo

What's the way to drift properly now? I can't drift for nothing ever since the changes a while ago, a lot of the times I feel like im drifting but I'm not gaining points or point gain is real slow.

Hey folks. I'm coming back to DC after a few months away. I bought the season pass back when I was playing. What's the best/simplest way to DL all the content? Am I going to have to snag each on individually in the store?

Also, any word on a possible digital sale on this below the current $25? I have the disc but want to get this on my HDD for instant access any time I feel the racing itch.

NO words for a sale digital , the PS+ edition just came out , this is not going to convince sony to make the game cheaper.

The best way to download the content is simply to get the big patch, then go to the "view all" at the bottom of the game icon on PS4, then you just add /get the content you want including the free dlc cars.

What's the way to drift properly now? I can't drift for nothing ever since the changes a while ago, a lot of the times I feel like im drifting but I'm not gaining points or point gain is real slow.

Entry speed is more important than angle ( angle still matters ) but that's the key to drift better now.

PDogg

Neo Member
Man makes it look so easy! Really nice.

Thanks dude, someone's given it the thumbs-down since I put it up here, probably because I tap the wall on the second drift, which is fair enough.

For anyone struggling with the drift, R_thanatos is right, it's all about retaining as much speed as possible,try and find the drift angle that keeps your speed up the most. Max out the drift zones and find the line that means you can drift from as far away from the zone as possible and keep drifting through the entire scoring zone. It's crazy fun when you get it down, the cheating and abuse of the scoring system isn't as bad as it once was and a clean fast run tends to score most.

kie25

Thanks dude, someone's given it the thumbs-down since I put it up here, probably because I tap the wall on the second drift, which is fair enough.

For anyone struggling with the drift, R_thanatos is right, it's all about retaining as much speed as possible,try and find the drift angle that keeps your speed up the most. Max out the drift zones and find the line that means you can drift from as far away from the zone as possible and keep drifting through the entire scoring zone. It's crazy fun when you get it down, the cheating and abuse of the scoring system isn't as bad as it once was and a clean fast run tends to score most.

Ignore anyone who thumbs down your videos mate, I got 2 thumbs down for my evolution studios lap I posted, there are some very bitter and immature people in gaming, if I don't like a video id rather comment and give feedback. I know where my down votes come from so I just laugh about it :) at least there giving you views mate ha.

PDogg

Neo Member
Haha, yeah that's true, appreciate it Kie :) Amazing work on those Evo challenges by the way, that's insane. I had a few top 5's in some of their drift challenge but the top guys are too good now and Evo seem to have lost the plot with what constitutes a decent drift challenge (Mini? Bentley?)..

Auctopus

I've said this before but now the dust from the season pass has settled, I felt I should beg Rushy again...

2015-bmw-i8-fd.jpg

BMW i8 for the upcoming season pass/pack/whatever! We've got Beamers and we've got electric cars, combine the two, please! (it's hybrid, i know)

T_Exige

I agree with Auctopus about the BMW i8.

Some suggestions, without exaggerating:
Lexus LFA (Nurb package), Bugatti Veyron, Pagani Zonda Cinque, Maserati MC12, Jaguar XJ220, Ford GT 2006, Ford Mustang Shelby/Boss, Ferrari 360 CS, Dodge Viper ACR, Lotus 3-Eleven & Elise S Cup.

Auctopus

The only thing I've worried about since hearing about Driveclub becoming a service is graphical enhancements. Despite Driveclub blowing my mind last/this year, I don't know how possible it is to make significant graphical enhancements through patches/DLC (more than AA tweaking etc.)

However, after seeing Forza 6 footage from Gamescom, I'm astounded that after two games, they haven't managed to match DC's graphical fidelity still (however, they have 60fps which is advantageous in some aspects).

I wonder if Evo have squeezed all they can out of the PS4 already and I wonder how much they add to the game technically through patches and updates.

Anyway, not meaning to start a flame war, just a musing. Still very excited for this game's future.

The only thing I've worried about since hearing about Driveclub becoming a service is graphical enhancements. Despite Driveclub blowing my mind last/this year, I don't know how possible it is to make significant graphical enhancements through patches/DLC (more than AA tweaking etc.)

However, after seeing Forza 6 footage from Gamescom, I'm astounded that after two games, they haven't managed to match DC's graphical fidelity still (however, they have 60fps which is advantageous in some aspects).

I wonder if Evo have squeezed all they can out of the PS4 already and I wonder how much they add to the game technically through patches and updates.

Anyway, not meaning to start a flame war, just a musing. Still very excited for this game's future.

Forza 6 looks great to me but still...gamey. I don't know why. Maybe the lighting?

I'll still be picking it up, it's great to have choice when it comes to racing games

Goldrusher

Evolution studios Mclaren P1 GTR Challenge winning lap

http://youtu.be/kOVnVxUhY2Q

In a real-life qualifying, you'd probably have your super-license revoked.

7ZS09WY.jpg

dHUvN6W.jpg

cKrgfYh.jpg

P6dDD9s.jpg

T0GBz9m.jpg

hbNJIcY.jpg

Charlie Whiting only a few weeks ago at Silverstone:

"Unless we are satisfied that a driver left the track at this point for reasons beyond his control, having been forced off the track for example, every lap time achieved by leaving the track will be deleted."

Hey guys

I may be redundant so I apologise in advance.

Just bought a ps4 in preparation for mgs. So I saw that driveclib was among the games of the month in the ps plus. As I like car games and having heqrd good things about it etc I thought why not and I took a 1 year subscription for ps plus (i will use it for MGO anyway even if I hate that you have to pay to play online now). So I download the game. It said something like "full update for ps plus member" and it said the size was 15.7gb. So When I download it was only 2 gb and it took me 2 hours...then I launch the game and I have to download a 10gb update...i go to work and leave my playstation on for the day. Now i come back, excited to be able to finally play this game, I launch it, I immediately go into a race where I end up 12th and then I see that with my edition (that I am basically renting for one year, I dont even own it) i have access to one country out of 7 and that only like two cars out of hundreds (with some unlockable later on ok)? And for the rest I need to pay 25 euros to download another update. and if I want the good cars I need to pay for each individually? So I am basically paying a one year subscription to be able to rent demos for arguably tier 2 games? And it takes me one full day to install?

Otherwise the rain looked great

kie25

What is your go to view?
As much as I love in car cam, I need the rear view farthest away top see what ahead.

In a real-life qualifying, you'd probably have your super-license revoked.

7ZS09WY.jpg

dHUvN6W.jpg

cKrgfYh.jpg

P6dDD9s.jpg

T0GBz9m.jpg

hbNJIcY.jpg

Charlie Whiting only a few weeks ago at Silverstone:

Lol this is Driveclub right if it was f1 or project id agree but this is arcade fun.

If you want to check out how I drive a simulation f1 game here, also note there is basically no penalties in f12015 you could drive to silverstone from brazil and it would still put your time in the leaderboard.

http://youtu.be/3yL1U6u48qI

kie25

Hey guys

Just bought a ps4 in preparation for mgs. So I saw that driveclib was among the games of the month in the ps plus. As I like car games and having heqrd good things about it etc I thought why not and I took a 1 year subscription for ps plus (i will use it for MGO anyway even if I hate that you have to pay to play online now). So I download the game. It said something like "full update for ps plus member" and it said the size was 15.7gb. So When I download it was only 2 gb and it took me 2 hours...then I launch the game and I have to download a 10gb update...i go to work and leave my playstation on for the day. Now i come back, excited to be able to finally play this game, I launch it, I immediately go into a race where I end up 12th and then I see that with my edition (that I am basically renting for one year, I dont even own it) i have access to one country out of 7 and that only like two cars out of hundreds (with some unlockable later on ok)? And for the rest I need to pay 25 euros to download another update. and if I want the good cars I need to pay for each individually? So I am basically paying a one year subscription to be able to rent demos for arguably tier 2 games? And it takes me one full day to install?

The ps plus version has never said it was the full game it is just a preview 1 country plus about 10% cars also you get the startling tour to preview other tracks which for free is a bargain, the full game is only 20 pound I think so it's a bargain.

Hey guys

Hello!

I hope i can clarify things a bit for you:

- What you got is the PS+ Edition of Driveclub. It's actually not one of the monthly PS+ games, it will stay available to PS+ users for good, independently of the games that will be made available each month. It was always meant to be a sample of the full game, with a certain selection of cars (15), with tracks limited to 1 country out of 6, but otherwise fully featured, i.e. it has all modes and features that the full game has (single races, time trials, drift mode, online multiplayer, community challenges).

In addition to that, this version also features the Startline Tour event, which lets you play a number of races with preset conditions, which showcase tracks from every other country, as well as some additional cars.

- The file size is as big as it is for several reasons. The initial download is the minimum requirement to start playing the game, while the rest of it downloads in the background, this feature is known as PlayGo. The final size is identical with the full game, so if you decide to buy that, you won't have to download anything else. The additional 10GB are the cumulative patches since launch, in which the developers have added many new features like free tracks, cars, weather effects, photo mode, and lots of small tweaks and improvements, as well as some payable content that comes with the season pass (more cars and Tour Events).

- Obviously the idea is to entice players to get the full game if they liked what they played, which you can upgrade to for the 25€ price tag you mentioned, but you can have lots of fun with it even if you don't do that. You can also get the Platinum trophy for the game with this version, in case you care about that.

- On top of the content you get with the full version of the game, there is also a season pass available, which has been adding more cars and tour events every month since launch. It's considered a really good deal by the majority of players, provided that you like the base game. Here is a (slightly outdated) diagram of the free and payable additional content since launch:

It actually ran a month longer, since they gave away the first 2 dlc packs for free to everyone, to make up for server problems at launch.

- As for the time it took you to download it, i don't know if i can help you with that, other than saying that download speeds often improve when you put your PS4 in rest mode.

- While this Driveclub PS+ Edition is an anomaly in the sense that it isn't the full game, it also isn't a part of the regular rotation of monthly PS+ games, as mentioned above. So far all of those have been the full games.

Hello!

I hope i can clarify things a bit for you:

- What you got is the PS+ Edition of Driveclub. It's actually not one of the monthly PS+ games, it will stay available to PS+ users for good, independently of the games that will be made available each month. It was always meant to be a sample of the full game, with a certain selection of cars (15), with tracks limited to 1 country out of 6, but otherwise fully featured, i.e. it has all modes and features that the full game has (single races, time trials, drift mode, online multiplayer, community challenges).

In addition to that, this version also features the Startline Tour event, which lets you play a number of races with preset conditions, which showcase tracks from every other country, as well as some additional cars.

- The file size is as big as it is for several reasons. The initial download is the minimum requirement to start playing the game, while the rest of it downloads in the background, this feature is known as PlayGo. The final size is identical with the full game, so if you decide to buy that, you won't have to download anything else. The additional 10GB are the cumulative patches since launch, in which the developers have added many new features like free tracks, cars, weather effects, photo mode, and lots of small tweaks and improvements, as well as some payable content that comes with the season pass (more cars and Tour Events).

- Obviously the idea is to entice players to get the full game if they liked what they played, which you can upgrade to for the 25€ price tag you mentioned, but you can have lots of fun with it even if you don't do that. You can also get the Platinum trophy for the game with this version, in case you care about that.

- On top of the content you get with the full version of the game, there is also a season pass available, which has been adding more cars and tour events every month since launch. It's considered a really good deal by the majority of players, provided that you like the base game. Here is a (slightly outdated) diagram of the free and payable additional content since launch:

It actually ran a month longer, since they gave away the first 2 dlc packs for free to everyone, to make up for server problems at launch.

- As for the time it took you to download it, i don't know if i can help you with that, other than saying that download speeds often improve when you put your PS4 in rest mode.

- While this Driveclub PS+ Edition is an anomaly in the sense that it isn't the full game, it also isn't a part of the regular rotation of monthly PS+ games, as mentioned above. So far all of those have been the full games.

Thank you for the explanation, very helpful

So after having played some other games for the past week, i have returned to DC to beat the Channel Hopping event, which was giving me problems and for which mangochutney and kie25 kindly provided me with a video of them beating the required time. I've been at it for an hour yesterday and another hour today and i kid you not, this is harder for me than either Venom Hot Lap. I feel like my license should get revoked for not being able to beat a Hot Hatch time trial, after having earned 1033 stars so far. The other one i need is for the buggy time trial on Atlanterhavsveien, but i know i can get that one with a little bit of patience. This one however has me hitting a wall over and over, in a proverbial sense. My main problem is i just can't get a good speed when crossing the line for a new lap. It's almost comical that no matter how i manage to take that final corner, i always end up crossing the line with 100-102Mph, which of course means i'm screwed for the next lap, because i am some 10Mph short and can never reach the necessary top speed before the first big turn.

I guess i'll just keep at it, but the current lack of progress is quite frustrating. I feel like i should've gotten better by now, but i haven't even beaten my time from last week yet, which i set before asking for help. XD

hawk2025

Also, keep in mind that you don't need to keep your PS4 on to download content.

Simply put it in Rest Mode and everything will download and install while you are away.

Ultibreaker

Neo Member
So I was thinking, when the private lobbies are ready, we should defiantly do an endurance race. My idea for endurance races will most definitely require mic and cooperation.

Exp;
•25 laps,
•time laps at 30x, Sunrise- Dawn
•mid size tracks exp- Sinclair's Pass
•8 players
•Mic mandatory

That's roughly 38-40min of racing :)

kie25

So I was thinking, when the private lobbies are ready, we should defiantly do an endurance race. My idea for endurance races will most definitely require mic and cooperation.

Exp;
•25 laps,
•time laps at 30x, Sunrise- Dawn
•mid size tracks exp- Sinclair's Pass
•8 players
•Mic mandatory

That's roughly 38-40min of racing :)

I never use mic in online racing all I want to hear is the engine, people talking really bugs me, when racing I mute everyone ha. Most league racing I've done mics were banned anyway last thing you want to hear is a bad mic making horrible sounds when racing.

Ultibreaker

Neo Member
I never use mic in online racing all I want to hear is the engine, people talking really bugs me, when racing I mute everyone ha. Most league racing I've done mics were banned anyway last thing you want to hear is a bad mic making horrible sounds when racing.

Very true. But in a private lobby it's a lot better to talk and communicate. That way everyone has a say on the tracks to play next or to reflect or maybe even talk some pre/post game friendly trash talk. If you wish to mute everyone as soon as the race is about to begin its perfectly fine.

knavish

Very true. But in a private lobby it's a lot better to talk and communicate. That way everyone has a say on the tracks to play next or to reflect or maybe even talk some pre/post game friendly trash talk. If you wish to mute everyone as soon as the race is about to begin its perfectly fine.

yeah we find it much easier to back out of crap races etc. in chat. Also if there is a race you want to get into and there's like 5 seconds left before the lobby closes.

Its also much easier to let your team know who the driver that just tried to take you out is and then you can give them the treatment :)

Continuing from my previous post, here's a video of me doing the Channel Hopping event yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i35lsc2PsG0

This isn't the best i can do on the individual segments of the lap (even lower speed at the start of the lap than normal, i messed up before the bridge, and i cut in a bit early on the last corner), but it's still my fastest lap so far. Anyone got pointers for me on how to reach approximately 111Mph when crossing the line, beyond hitting the apex just right?

kie25

Continuing from my previous post, here's a video of me doing the Channel Hopping event yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i35lsc2PsG0

This isn't the best i can do on the individual segments of the lap (even lower speed at the start of the lap than normal, i messed up before the bridge, and i cut in a bit early on the last corner), but it's still my fastest lap so far. Anyone got pointers for me on how to reach approximately 111Mph when crossing the line, beyond hitting the apex just right?

Looks like your r2 has had it mate your car is not accelerating properly happened with me ages ago when I used pad, have you got a spare pad?

Looks like your r2 has had it mate your car is not accelerating properly happened with me ages ago when I used pad, have you got a spare pad?

Crap, i was worried it would be something like that. Unfortunately i don't have a spare one. I've been thinking about getting one for a while now, but i've been waiting for a good deal since i missed out on really cheap ones last black friday. In the meantime, is there something i could do about it by disassembling it? In any case, thanks for pointing it out, i was going crazy trying to understand why this challenge feels so hard to me. XD

kie25

Crap, i was worried it would be something like that. Unfortunately i don't have a spare one. I've been thinking about getting one for a while now, but i've been waiting for a good deal since i missed out on really cheap ones last black friday. In the meantime, is there something i could do about it by disassembling it? In any case, thanks for pointing it out, i was going crazy trying to understand why this challenge feels so hard to me. XD
Just map your throttle to a different button like x or something.

Just map your throttle to a different button like x or something.

Yes, did that after my previous post, mapped throttle to the right stick, here's how it went:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-C5SIRMzcHo

Spoiler alert, i beat the challenge on my very first attempt, even though it wasn't even a good lap. I severely overshot the braking point on the first big corner due to not being used to the "new" top speed and felt overall a bit uncomfortable with this input, but it was still enough to come in under the required time.

It's amazing what a difference a different throttle input made. Now i wonder for how long this has been holding me back and how much better i could have done on some past tour events and challenges. Just the other day i was going to mention that i don't understand people saying this tour was too easy, because it felt harder to me than the last few. Besides Channel Hopping, i've also struggled with a couple of other events (California Games and the first race of the 04 German Sports series in India both gave me quite a hard time and i needed a good number of attempts to beat them). Can't say i'm a fan of throttle on right stick though, so this won't be a permanent solution for me.

It'll soon be a year since i bought my PS4, so i'll see if i can get the controller replaced before that, but i fear the store will just send it off and i'll be out of a controller for a few weeks until they sort it out. I see you can also get replacement rubber pads on ebay, but i'll check my other options first.

Anyway, thanks for your help, this could've gone on for who knows how long and i would have been none the wiser.

Top Bottom