• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 |OT| Austro-Australovision

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jasup

Telex is one of those entries that are still remembered after decades, a gem.

However, Serbia hit two hits in a row in my opinion, their 2010 entry is one of my all time favourites. I remember saying as much on the Eurovision thread back then.

You know, there's countries that very often send songs that just work for me, and Serbia is one of those (though they had misses for me too). I hated Ovo je Balkan when I first heard it, but I warmed up a lot to it over time. It was really surreal to hear this song play in the radio of a supermarket chain here in Austria. I mean, I guess I get it cause we have a big Serbocroatian populace here in Austria, but it was still really bizarre to hear a foreign Eurovision song that didn't even do that well.

2011's entry is one of my favorites as well. There's always at least one ex-Yugoslavian entry that I like each year. :p

Anyway speaking of bizarre entries, I just remembered another one.

Jasup

You know, there's countries that very often send songs that just work for me, and Serbia is one of those (though they had misses for me too). I hated Ovo je Balkan when I first heard it, but I warmed up a lot to it over time. It was really surreal to hear this song play in the radio of a supermarket chain here in Austria. I mean, I guess I get it cause we have a big Serbocroatian populace here in Austria, but it was still really bizarre to hear a foreign Eurovision song that didn't even do that well.

2011's entry is one of my favorites as well. There's always at least one ex-Yugoslavian entry that I like each year. :p

Anyway speaking of bizarre entries, I just remembered another one.

Deen... :)

My "country that sends songs that generally work for me" -country is probably France. And while their entries have usually been GAF favourites my personal guilty pleasure is the 2012 entry Anggun - Echo. It has fallen into obscurity, which is a shame because I really like that song.

Also, Eurovision endurance test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uNfhj66GOo

duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude

What did I just see/experience/smoke?
Greatness

Also, Eurovision endurance test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uNfhj66GOo

Greatness

Hey, that song was awesome. I mean, aren't the lyrics about a girl who's going to
masturbate herself with a cucumber
? And it did the homosexual kiss act far before than "Marry Me" a couple of years ago.

And it had political significance of peace and love, so it's good.

That bulgarian song is far worse for me, though. It reminds me of Spain's song last year - one of the back up girls is known for liking the spotlight a tad too much, so her voice was louder than her colleagues. At least, not more than Ruth's. That would be an issue.

My "country that sends songs that generally work for me" -country is probably France.

Haha, France is one of the other ones. That, Serbia of course, Italy and Estonia are my "holy quartet".
There's also countries that always send 100%-hit-or-miss (i.e. I REALLY like them, or I REALLY hate them), like Germany.

I just listened to that one and I would say best worst actually makes it best. It's in the top three for me with Dustin and the Pirate song by Latvia 2008

What about the 2008 Vodka song by Malta that tried to fish for votes from the Eastern Europeans?

oti

Banned
Wow, Sweden is taking this thing pretty seriously, aren't they?
In Germany national selection is more or less "oh, that thing is today?"

And why is there a Greek flag in the audience?

oti

Banned
I... imagine that there are Greek people living in Sweden?

But... why would you bring a Greek flag to the Swedish final? Is there a Greek singer performing? I mean, do whatever you want, it's just so... why?

That sounds like a lotof playback in those songs.

Sweden's competition is widely seen by Eurovision fans as the most prestigious of the national selection finals, and accordingly there's always a large international audience for it.

There's also a small but significant Greek immigrant population in Sweden -- Helena Paparizou, the winner of ESC 2005 for Greece, grew up in Sweden and performed last year in Sweden's competition (she took 4th place).

Greece isn't part of Melodifestivalen's international jury this year but Cyprus is!

DrM

Redmond's Baby
National radio is trying hard to force us to like this year entry. But they are having opposite effect,majority of people think that we should bail out

oti

Banned
Sweden's competition is widely seen by Eurovision fans as the most prestigious of the national selection finals, and accordingly there's always a large international audience for it.

There's also a small but significant Greek immigrant population in Sweden -- Helena Paparizou, the winner of ESC 2005 for Greece, grew up in Sweden and performed last year in Sweden's competition (she took 4th place).

Greece isn't part of Melodifestivalen's international jury this year but Cyprus is!

Makes sense, thanks for the info.

That female announcer's voice is pretty sexy btw.

Just heard one of Sweden's semifinal-competitors called Isa. During the first verse I thought that there was something kinda familiar with the song, but when I first heard the chorus the obviousness hit me like a ton of bricks. After a quick Youtube-rummage, apparently someone agreed with me. Smoothly done, Isa:

Don't Shake It Off

Shake me off, if old.

Hooo boy...

So apparently app votes won't be counted on Melfest's final because of technical difficulties. I believe they had the same issue in the First Semi and a couple of artists actually didn't qualify for the final(even for Andra Chanssen)

I guess all swedish journalists will be sharping their knives now.

And yes, this year there are lots of songs in Sweden's final that would opt for plagiarism complaints. You have Isa Swift and then that old man, whose song is actually identical to an unkown japanese country-sounding song.

oti

Banned
#melfest is number 1 trending topic on twitter? How crazy is that?

I feel like there should be a Eurovision anime/manga.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I can confirm that so far, 5/10, all the Norwegian candidates are utter shite

I can confirm that so far, 5/10, all the Norwegian candidates are utter shite

:(

I'm going to watch right after Melfest, but I hope Jenny Langlo wasn't a disaster. I'm pulling for her or Karin to win. Anything but the Mørland/Debrah Scarlett duet (well, that or the godt stekt pizza thing).

Spyware

And yes, this year there are lots of songs in Sweden's final that would opt for plagiarism complaints. You have Isa Swift and then that old man, whose song is actually identical to an unkown japanese country-sounding song.
Yeah, Sting (Saade) and Heroes (Zelmerlöw) are quite alike other songs too. Sting makes me start to sing Call Me Maybe every time.

Hasse Andersson's (the old man) song is written by the same people that wrote the japanese song btw, if anyone doesn't know the story. They sent that song in to the competition a couple of years ago, didn't make the cut and gave it to a japanese band. Then they sent this (pretty much identical) song and made it this year. So it's not "stolen" in the same way. It's just the makers of the song that can't write anything else ;)

I wanna send Jon Henrik btw.

CoolOff

I'm so sorry for anyone watching the Swedish competition. These 12 are not representative for the musical talent this country has.

Sting is insultingly bad.

Mariette or Jon Henrik are the only acceptable winners.

oti

Banned
I'm so sorry for anyone watching the Swedish competition. These 12 are not representative for the musical talent this country has.

Sting is insultingly bad.

Mariette or Jon Henrik are the only acceptable winners.

This is Eurovision. We all know what this means. It's fine.

oti

Banned
What's the deal with that comedian? Why is she speaking English all of a sudden? Why is she wearing that? Is she popular/funny in Swedish?

CoolOff

What's the deal with that comedian? Why is she speaking English all of a sudden? Why is she wearing that? Is she popular/funny in Swedish?

She is very divisive. I found her funny as a character in the early stuff she did, when it was a lot more understated her awkwardness worked, but this is cringeworthy.

Spyware

She's actually been extremely hated and harassed during Melodifestivalen since so many dislike that character. Some like her, some don't. I really don't but I would never say the things people have said about/to her. :(

oti

Banned
Swedish TV just met their meme quota for this month.
Gotta grab all those crazy YouTube teenz.

Wait, they have points just like the ESC final?

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Son of a tit

Beyonce suddenly appeared as one of the Norwegian candidates. Song is pretty bleh though

Rapstah

I can't believe they managed to shoot all of these international judges in front of the most picturesque landmarks in each country! Must have cost a fortune to do that for real and not in a studio in front of a greenscreen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom