• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2015 |OT| Austro-Australovision

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
UK is like "hey, we are sending shit anyway so let's just ruin Sweden as well!"

Wait what? People can still vote? Is this just a scheme to get as much money out of the voters as possible?

Bri

Because we were tired of getting shitty results in the ESC, so now more internationally popular entries win.

Stupid. Kinda ruins the whole point of it, no? That each country votes for a song they like and then send it to ESC.

obin_gam

Wanted the jojk to win but am completely satisfied with the winner.

It's great in the beginning, but I'm not so fond of the development to ordinary europop after that.

oti

Banned
So it's pretty much a battle between Estonian chill, Italian thrill and Swedish Europop.
Sounds good to me.

Spyware

Stupid. Kinda ruins the whole point of it, no? That each country votes for a song they like and then send it to ESC.
Yeah, but SVT spend SO much money on this thing and "wanted results for it". I'm looking forward to when the two bosses that keep making silly decisions and borking it all up retire.

Only time it ever made a difference tho (iirc) was 2013 when we sent Robin Stjernberg - You (who got the second most votes by the viewers) instead of Yohio - Heartbreak Hotel (who was just a bit more popular with the viewers but basically not liked at all by the jury).

Other times, like today, it's clear that the winner would have won regardless of the jury votes.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
If this Cotton Eye Joe bullshit actually wins with the pizza song...

Been going through the past few years' entries, and have to say... I'm greatly missing Andorra. They've not sent a single song I didn't like out of the 6 entries they had. Plus I think Catalan is, next to Italian, one of the most beautiful languages in the world.

It's a shame the EBU membership and contest fees are so brutal for smaller countries; several of them haven't been able to participate because of financial reasons - Liechtenstein has been seeking EBU membership but can't afford it, and Andorra, Monaco, Luxembourg and several of the Eastern Europeans have not joined in because of the €s.

Been going through the past few years' entries, and have to say... I'm greatly missing Andorra. They've not sent a single song I didn't like out of the 6 entries they had. Plus I think Catalan is, next to Italian, one of the most beautiful languages in the world.

It's a shame the EBU membership and contest fees are so brutal for smaller countries; several of them haven't been able to participate because of financial reasons - Liechtenstein has been seeking EBU membership but can't afford it, and Andorra, Monaco, Luxembourg and several of the Eastern Europeans have not joined in because of the €s.

As a Catalan person myself, I agree. We need Andorra back in the run :(

It shouldn't be that expensive -heck, San Marino's been in the Semis lots of years without any progress except for last year.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Four of the worst in the final four in Norway (no Karin, no Jenny).

Norwegians = minges

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Aryan Girl Choir with Disney song, pizza eurotrash song, melodramatic teenage angst duo or boring gay guy out of pitch with make-up and leather jacket

It shouldn't be that expensive -heck, San Marino's been in the Semis lots of years without any progress except for last year.

I imagine that it really depends on the size of the broadcaster, and how many subsidies they get from the government. From what I've read, the tiny countries just don't get enough financial support from their government to afford EBU membership and the entry fee for the contest. As a matter of fact, Andorra planned to entirely leave EBU for financial reasons, but only after some talks with the director of EBU, they were able to stay.
I guess San Marino simply has more funds to invest in Eurovision than the other dwarf countries.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Norway is sending the melodramatic duo: "A monster like me"

Could be far worse though

So, I've been doing some more research, and apparently the entry fee for Eurovision is 80,000 Euros (that is, of course, not counting the EBU membership fee or the expenses for travel and such).

Now that Eurovision 2006 in Greece's been mentioned, I still like the Belgian entry from that year: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3JHnre0q3ow
It's very competent pop/schlager-music, and it not qualifying is a shame.

Also, because Melodifestivalen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGuvuCbbKw8
So much better in Swedish than in English

I liked Lena's entry, and yes, the Belgian song in 2006 was really good too. :)
Here's my bonus. 2007 was an incredibly strong year.

Jasup

So, I've been doing some more research, and apparently the entry fee for Eurovision is 80,000 Euros (that is, of course, not counting the EBU membership fee or the expenses for travel and such).

I liked Lena's entry, and yes, the Belgian song in 2006 was really good too. :)
Here's my bonus. 2007 was an incredibly strong year.

Sopho was great.
Anyway, you mentioned Telex earlier. Do you know which song got four times as many points as the sublime Euro-vision? This: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tdrW1vr9kwM&t=56s

Eurovision? Eurovision!

Not an enviable position to be in.

You'd be surprised. I find most of Luxembourg's songs during the late 80s and 90s to be quite good. And as mentioned, I love all 6 of Andorra's entries.
Can agree with Monegasque stuff though, they had quite a few faceplants.

I never thought she was a bad presenter. I mean it depends on how bad the jokes they're gonna give her to read are going to be. But Kiesbauer herself is just fine.

Kinokou

For the Genghis Khan fans; they did a homage at the Norwegian qualifier.

Bad?

Awful presenters are part of the whole experience, I'd be disappointed by good ones.

They can really ruin everything. On year we had someone doing political comments it actually ruined immersion to borrow a video game term. I remeber especially before the Italian entry they said something about Berlusconi and bunga bunga parties. The state channel also got a lot of complaints about that presenter.

^ I'd have to check, but I'm pretty sure this will be the first year that the Israeli entry is entirely in English, which is neat. Dude wasn't my favorite in that contest but at least the song is upbeat and has a distinctly Israeli flavor, which is always a good thing.

I watched Melodi Grand Prix and was disappointed. :( My favorites Jenny and Karin didn't really shine on stage, the final four was bizarre, the winners botched the vocals on both performances of the song, and the vote was much closer than the press speculated it might be. At least the hosts were great, as they usually are. Maybe this isn't Norway's year...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom