• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal announced: Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, February 2016, $59.99

Kssio_Aug

Loved it!
It may be very interesting, using those stone age weapons to kill those big enemies. Hopefully they can manage to tweak the gameplay correctly to those close combats using spears and whatever else...

I didn't ask for this and I'll be skipping it!

Damn..... how could Ubisoft forget to consult this guy first?? They're doomed!

I'd give it a 90% probability that at least one of those three is delayed.
There's definitely a chance and as interested in this as I am, if one of them does get delayed, I'd rather it be this. I've waited 7 years for a new Mirror's Edge and I need that in Feb.

For those wondering about the timely development and not attending E3. This is probably a smaller-scale project while the main team works on FC5.

Which I've just come to realise now, so disregard my prior statement about mainline entries not being crazy. Depending on the tone, they could totally go for broke here (but most likely won't as to keep asset costs low, those creatures don't animate themselves).

Well, the Platybelodon and Chalicothere were millions of years prior, might as well run with dinosaurs then, cash in on that Jurassic World money.

Though I say that, I'm sure they've decided early on in development what kind of historic leeway they're going to allow with the creature variety in the game.

As you pointed out, this is probably 'smaller scale', with the A team doing FC6.. so I know that new skins on existing animals is probably all we're getting, I'm still hopeful for some surprises. That said, I bet they did a lot with new combat systems.

Yeah, I know they don't fit the timeline at all.. but most people don't know that, and I want to see awesome Megfauna.

Javin98

Banned
Damn, this is coming out much sooner than I thought. Q1 2016 seems overly stacked now. Since they are charging full price for this, I hope this is not just a reskinned FC4.

Hopefully this will renew the Far Cry formula since I'm finding it quite trite at this point. I can already see how this might be a reskin of FC4 with elephants turned into mammoths and outposts to tribe camps. What's interesting is to see how they're going to bring variety to the weapons. Spears and bows don't exactly hold interest for long. This does smell like a smaller scale project that they'll attempt to sell at full price. One can hope there's more to it, but given it's Ubisoft I don't have high expectations.

gafneo

Banned
Feb sounds kind of rushed. Although FC4 was pretty good for a game that appeared out of nowhere. Not sure I need one this early. I mean, Tomb Raider is kind of a better looking adventure game alternative. Primitive cultures just means less tech. FC is known for hang gliding and motor boats. Guns are reduced to sticks.

As you pointed out, this is probably 'smaller scale', with the A team doing FC6.. so I know that new skins on existing animals is probably all we're getting, I'm still hopeful for some surprises. That said, I bet they did a lot with new combat systems.

Yeah, I know they don't fit the timeline at all.. but most people don't know that, and I want to see awesome Megfauna.
but a smaller scale FC with a 60$ price tag !!, I could see that with Blood Dragon, but with Primal they are pushing it with a fully priced tag, Shouldn't be something small and reskinned IMO.

Spears and bows don't exactly hold interest for long.

This is my main concern. The Ubisoft FC games are fun due to their large environments, variety of weapons, and variety of movement/transportation options, while this setting seems like it could lead to restrictions on both weapon and movement variety (certainly no helis and possibly no wingsuits).

If they go with limited weapons, I hope they put an emphasis on and rework melee combat. The scripted trailer shows a bunch of animations of the character fighting off a giant sabertooth cat, but none of it looked like the kind of attacks and actions you'd actually get playing a first person game.

EYEL1NER

I like the Far Cry formula and loved 3, Blood Dragon, and 4, so I am in. I'm in even though it appears they just added fur to the elephants and subtracted clothes from the humans. I get why a quick reskin is an attractive option for a dev/pub, less work and less money put in for hopefully the same amount of money the last game made flowing back in. Hopefully the story and anything else new they add shine through.

I'm okay with no guns and love the stealthy 'stalking' aspect of the previous three games so I fully see how I could enjoy this setting. I kind of wish they had said "Fuck accuracy" though and just went with what a member of the general public would think when you said "Prehistoric" to them: Dinosaurs. Dinosaurs, mammoths and saber tooth tigers, humans, jungle and ice terrain... I would have rather seen a mashup of several different eras. I was talking to a coworker today who had just beat FC4 and was telling him about the teaser yesterday and that it pointed towards a prehistoric Far Cry. He asked me who had the rights to Turok and said it would be cool if it was a new Turok game. I don't know, I just figure most people out there will want dinosaurs out of this.

PreFire

I'll have to see more before I'm more interested. I always sucked shooting arrows in far cry

Funniest comment on YouTube though. "Can't wait to climb prehistoric radio towers!"

Galileo

Neo Member
Interesting premise, but I have little confidence in Ubisoft actually making a good game instead of just recycling their tired old open world formula (with a slightly different coat of paint).
Still, I'll keep an eye on it.

120v

looks like a legit Far Cry 5... not sure sure where all the "lol re-skinned FC3/4" complaints are coming from. though there really isn't much to go on yet either way

but hey, no cross-gen at least

Regginator

If anything I'd say Far Cry 4 was a "re-skin" of 3. This looks considerably fresher than 4 in my opinion and thus my curiosity is triggered. I hope to see some actual gameplay demo soon.

but a smaller scale FC with a 60$ price tag !!, I could see that with Blood Dragon, but with Primal they are pushing it with a fully priced tag, Shouldn't be something small and reskinned IMO.

The size of the game may not be smaller - but it's probably using environment art assets that were created for FC4, and remixing them. Also, I imagine the engine is mostly the same, with small tweaks - the most likely going towards the melee combat system.

I'm looking forward to this - Far Cry with a survival spin could be a lot of fun. I also wonder if we will get custom gear with stats, like armor in an RPG (Skyrim style maybe).

So wait....no vehicles, no guns, no flamethrower, no RPG? Will there be any explosions in this game? The idea of the game sounds cool but they are taking away all the good stuff. Hope they deliver.

I'm excited about the idea of a Stone Age setting but I'm not particularly fond of shooting a bow in videogames.

I hope Rex Power Colt travels through time to bring you laser guns and a dragon to ride.

This sounds interesting but if Ubisoft hasn't found a way to change the design of its open world games then I'll probably skip this.

So wait....no vehicles, no guns, no flamethrower, no RPG? Will there be any explosions in this game? The idea of the game sounds cool but they are taking away all the good stuff. Hope they deliver.
I wouldn't be surprised if there are shamanistic magic to give you more outlandish abilities

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Interesting that the same guy voices the main character in this and Deus Ex, which have the same release date. Is he new the North/Baker?
Not until Naughty Dog uses him.

This game looks sweet, though. I wonder if they'll incorporate AC3 like vegetation climbing, although that might be difficult with the first person perspective. Excited to see how this plays out.

Even funnier how he's the main character and playing "next gen" human in one game and the fucking Pong-equivilent of Man in the other

Welp, I haven't played a FarCry since I finished FC3, so I'm very, VERY in. Like Horizon, I hope the creature design team goes banana's throwing in megafauna and giant insects.

woolly_rhinos_by_balcsika-d7fsx41.jpg

A dinosaur or two ... I know they don't overlap ... BUT PLEASE.

Dennis

Banned
2baRgb9.jpg

So a lot of these animals are reconstructed from skeletons.

Do anyone else think to themselves: "Nah, come on, no way that fucker looked that weird in real life"?

Paleontologists, can they be trusted?

GHG

Gold Member
2baRgb9.jpg

So a lot of these animals are reconstructed from skeletons.

Do anyone else think to themselves: "Nah, come on, no way that fucker looked that weird in real life"?

Paleontologists, can they be trusted?

Palaeontologists are really just artists. They just draw shit that they think looks cool and then tell us it's based on the bones they found.

Not that I'm complaining. Some of the designs they come up with are cool as fuck.

Palaeontologists are really just artists. They just draw shit that they think looks cool and then tell us it's based on the bones they found.

Not that I'm complaining. Some of the designs they come up with are cool as fuck.

Bruh they scientific that art with research and empirical observation!

Bulbasaur

Banned
This has the potential to be amazing. But Ubisoft. I hope it has lots of pure survival elements, then all the ingredients are there for a game I could really get immersed in.

Roussow

Interested to see how they handle combat.
One button melee might not cut it in a game with less meaningful projectile weapons, even if the bow is the best weapon in Far Cry 3 & 4.

Guerrilla

Well, it is...

Top Bottom