• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry Primal announced: Trailer, PC/PS4/XB1, February 2016, $59.99

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Posting this from other thread.

This...is not why I play Far Cry. Skipping this. It's just assets used from Far Cry 4. The thing that makes Far Cry fun is the gunplay and interesting villian. While I like using the bow to stalk animals and kill people...I hardly want it to be the main focus.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
I like the idea of a pre-historic game, but killing animals and fighting people with sticks is not going to make compelling gameplay. Farcry is known for its varied and great gun mechanics, without guns what are you going to do, shoot bows for 20 hours?

Not me. I'm a single player only gamer so if true, im more excited and looking forward to the game than I normally would be.

And 2/23/16....nice!!!

Well for Far Cry 4 playing single player only or in co-op had no effect on the game, I'm not suggesting they should tack on a crappy versus multiplayer mode, the co-op was very fun and also optional although it was limited

antitrop

I know this is kind of OT but is Far Cry 4 worth checking out? I never got the game but this makes me want to get back into the series.

The first few hours of the game suck, but it turns into a lot of fun once you get adequately upgraded and acquire some proper transportation (Wingsuit, Helicopter).

My least favorite part of the game was the forced stealth and survival gameplay at the beginning. It's a lot cooler when you can just run into an enemy camp and mix the badass chain takedowns with the fantastic gunplay and not really have to worry about trying to play it like a shitty version of Metal Gear Solid V.

I like the idea of a pre-historic game, but killing animals and fighting people with sticks is not going to make compelling gameplay. Farcry is known for its varied and great gun mechanics, without guns what are you going to do, shoot bows for 20 hours?

because you obviously know everything about the game

Danneee

And exactly what do you do? Is it a survival sim? Are there friends captured by some stone age warlord? Climb towers and collect secret stick figures to upgrade our arsenal of spears and bows?

ironcreed

Banned
That's a cool idea for a setting, but damn it's coming out uncomfortably soon.

Which gives me pause for concern. While the setting is neat, I am expecting the rehashed AC treatment to some degree with FC4 assets for the most part. You can even see it in some of the trailer.

So this is Far Cry 5.

I guess they're going to start making annual Far Cry, it's probably why they got rid of numbers on Assassin's Creed too. Hard to get hyped for "Far Cry 9: same shit again"

L1NETT

Same.

stone age mega fauna are awesome too and have never gotten much attention in video games. Outside saber tooth tigers and wolly mammoths.

i ain't no expert but isn't this the period when the glaciers retreat/sea levels rise/forests grow/climate becomes normal....and all the megafauna are (all bar a few) extinct?

although i'd love to see a beaver the size of a tank

imagine all that xp

carlsojo

Pretty underwhelmed. Whittling down a mammoths health with spears and arrows sounds tedious if anything and if a fucking sabertooth shows up and one shots me afterwards then fuck all that.

This is easily the most exciting Far Cry game ever for me,( I fucking love this era of Earths history!), but man, those are some incredibly pale people for a game set thousands of years before any humans evolved white skin.

I know these games have to sell to racists (for some reason), but still, disappointing.

RowdyReverb

It's refreshing to see something new and risky from a AAA developer, especially one that is known for playing it safe.
Sure, it's an addition to an established franchise (they had to mitigate some risk), but it looks like a unique setting and concept for a modern action FPS

So this gen they only need one year and three months to make a new Far Cry game? ;)
Well, Ubisoft Montreal is an enormous studio, and they are only releasing on 3 platforms this time while probably reusing the Dunia engine and some FC4 assets.

This is what I think Ubisoft is going for.

Modern day settings will be only the main Far Cry games like 3, 4, 5, 6 ..etc the ones with numbers after them. Those will have guns and vehicles.

The crazy ones like Blood Dragon and Primal will be the spin-offs, without numbers.

This is easily the most exciting Far Cry game ever for me,( I fucking love this era of Earths history!), but man, those are some incredibly pale people for a game set thousands of years before any humans evolved white skin.

I know these games have to sell to racists (for some reason), but still, disappointing.
Well I mean, you can bet it's going to have a side character or two who is either a PoC, a woman or an LGBT+ individual because it's Ubi so that they cover their bases.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
I down. Weapon variety could be a problem, but I normally always stick to the bow anyway so not a big deal for me personally.

ktroopa

that boxart makes me want to chuck.. :/

look forward to climbing terradactlye towers to scout for 2000 dinsoaur bone pieces. fun

Lemonte

I hope they don't speak english at all. This game has potential but I keep my expectations in check because it's ubisoft after all.

SJRB

Gold Member
Crazy awesome, and a massive departure from the traditional Far Cry ethos.

Really cool.

woen

Making-of with lots of French dev https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEaS0U_CCLU&feature=youtu.be

Set in the Mesolithic period (because of the first territorial claims of mankind)
Survival aspect : you can be hunted by both men and animals, you're not at the top at the food chain at least at the beginning
Big, dense, diversified world
They used the "great areas" of archeology (about culture and the daily lives)
The combat and movement systems were re-thinked for the era (obviously)

killroy87

So close to the Division. Not like they're necessarily competing, but still, it's an odd move. When does the fiscal year end?

i ain't no expert but isn't this the period when the glaciers retreat/sea levels rise/forests grow/climate becomes normal....and all the megafauna are (all bar a few) extinct?

although i'd love to see a beaver the size of a tank

imagine all that xp
From what I'm reading between those periods where mega fauna were abundant, when they died out and the time period this game takes place is, they've got a cushion of a few thousand years to work with for these animals to still be around for 'historical accuracy'.

So GTA open world killing people fun and Far Cry killing animals fun.
Mmmm, ok.

Setting is so interesting and I know graphics are going to be good but Ubi... why wasting time and ressources on a reskin? Make a damn new game, you have all the right ingredients here.
yeah I know reskin is cheap, easy and people are buying it anyway so...

Denton

I can't take anymore identikit farcry games with their checklist gameplay.
I wonder if this one will follow that template or if they were able to go more immersive simmy on it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I see we're at the filler game part of the Ubi franchise cycle.

They're getting pretty close to annual as well, so presumably they need the filler entries between the bigger ones.

Hystzen

A game try's a different setting and people shit on it because they want guns.

Wait wait they actually going introduce food aspect please bring in a drinking water and eating to stay alive aspect. It something wanted past games be fun and they could use it for higher difficulty so people can't ignore if wanted.

Top Bottom