• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fighting Games Weekly | November 19-25 | Only a sucker wastes a month for the Wii U

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll bounce back in some form.

I'm still watching the Art analysis video and I'm still baffled about his lack of knowledge on frame/hitbox data(Guile this time). If he can play that well without that information, more power to him!

Frame/hitbox data is a tool, not a magical sauce that'll teach you how to zone, how to block, how to move etc. It's useful and teaches you how to punish things that you would never think of punishing, but there's no reason why it's something mandatory to "play that well".

gutabo

Frame/hitbox data is a tool, not a magical sauce that'll teach you how to zone, how to block, how to move etc. It's useful and teaches you how to punish things that you would never think of punishing, but there's no reason why it's something mandatory to "play that well".

Sorry I worded poorly my thoughts. I didn't said it was mandatory and I don't think it is but I also find it hard to believe that arturo hasn't fought a decent sakura/guile/sagat to know what he was looking/asking for in the video. Or maybe he was playing dumb for the audience to explain better many things about those characters. I didn't mean to sound condescending, he's a much better player than what I can ever dream of becoming.

CPS2

PS: not a direct answer to you CPS2 I'm cool with you. Let's grab a beer.

Them's drinking words!

I found out in SF4 you can link some jabs into a knockdown, then whiff something to setup the timing for a safe jump os or unblockable. ALL SF4 DISCUSSION EVER IN ONE SENTENCE =P

Vice

Sorry to hear that. Hopefully they'll bounce back in some form.

I'm still watching the Art analysis video and I'm still baffled about his lack of knowledge on frame/hitbox data(Guile this time). If he can play that well without that information, more power to him!

A ton of top players don't know frame data.

A ton of top players don't know frame data.

Most of the old school capcom players don't in general. Not just Art, but guys like Valle, Choi, Justin, Ricky, Combfiend, Hisen, Josh Wong and anyone that played pre 05 don't give no fucks about frame data. Frame data wasn't even a big deal until SF4 then everyone and their mama wanted to learn frame data and OS when it was around way before that.

alstein

I'm going to miss those weekly VF tourney streams. I was actually planning a cross-country trip for next year the same weekend the Braves were in town if VF was going to be run.

I had an number of non-FGC folks I wanted to meet, and well, who doesn't want to make Haunts look like a fraud?

I just wonder when the arcade closing bug starts to hit Japan- I've heard the rural ones have largely closed, it's got to be getting rougher for the arcades financially over there as well.

I'm going to miss those weekly VF tourney streams. I was actually planning a cross-country trip for next year the same weekend the Braves were in town if VF was going to be run.

I had an number of non-FGC folks I wanted to meet, and well, who doesn't want to make Haunts look like a fraud?

I just wonder when the arcade closing bug starts to hit Japan- I've heard the rural ones have largely closed, it's got to be getting rougher for the arcades financially over there as well.
Alpha station was a regular spot for some strong BB play and it closed back in May iirc.

So hot.

HS5fc.jpg

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Yo wtf I didn't know everyone's songs got redone in CP, god damn game just gets better and better in every single aspect to me

Not hot at all.

ugh

Hey, eye patches are the big thing and I actually like the design. I tried to like BB too...but no characters clicked for me. I'm willing to give it another bash at some stage.

Meanwhile capcom have updated Street Fighter X Tekken with two new free characters...for the ios version.

Firstly, they chose Rolento and Heihachi so well fucking played there on the two most boring choices possible.
Secondly, why does a game that costs like $0.99 get free DLC characters when the full price game asks for so much more?

Yo wtf I didn't know everyone's songs got redone in CP, god damn game just gets better and better in every single aspect to me
Didn't notice this until I watching some more videos. It was a good move on their part.
Hey, eye patches are the big thing and I actually like the design. I tried to like BB too...but no characters clicked for me. I'm willing to give it another bash at some stage.
This is probably gonna be the best game since CS1 came out years ago. If there is any time to jump in it will be this one.

The art character art is just butt compared to CS is all.
http://www.twitch.tv/central804

Another BB CP stream has matches going on.

This game it feels like everything they learned from redoing GG and making P4A went into it
Indeed

New songs, better hit effects, new voices, better announcer,new stages, P4A's hold to tech and seemingly shorter combos. Now if they would just add Kokonoe we'd be fucking in there. I'm really enjoying this so far. Needs slightly higher damage though...

alstein

I'm impressed. I liked Persona, if CP is more like Persona but without as many balance issues, I'll probably like it and not ragequit like I have every other BB game.

The series has improved over time, the amount of time it takes me to ragequit has increased with each iteration. ^_^

gutabo

Most of the old school capcom players don't in general. Not just Art, but guys like Valle, Choi, Justin, Ricky, Combfiend, Hisen, Josh Wong and anyone that played pre 05 don't give no fucks about frame data. Frame data wasn't even a big deal until SF4 then everyone and their mama wanted to learn frame data and OS when it was around way before that.

Whoa. Mind blown about top players not knowing about frame data. I disagree about the "big deal" part, I've been playing since the sf2 days and I remember in mvc2 days(and later in cvs2 and guilty gear x) terms like "frame kill", "0 frame startup", "0 frame startup after the super flash", "invincible hitbox", "2 and 3 frame startup AHBV" among many others being pretty common. I also remember the first frame data I read, it was a japanese mvc2 normal/command move table and finding out about 1 frame startup moves(like magneto's c.LK and megaman's c.LP). Or about the "strider hitbox + snapback trick" against MSP. Then of course, the cvs2 data and the roll cancel/custom combo talk too that was heavy into frames/frame advantage/invincibility frames or Sol having the fastest anti air regular move in the game(K, 3 frames) with a very nice hitbox. I read the term OS for the first time in GG, used for the throw/FD OS(a "plink").

My original comment was an answer to arturo's video where he acts like he doesn't know a thing about sakura's frame/hitbox data. At the time of my posts I was like "whoa wtf" because immediately after I fought against a decent sakura I went straight to her frame data to see if I could punish her tatsus, her regular moves frame advantage and some of her hitboxes. Soon afterwards I realized Art was playing dumb for the audience. Personally, frame/hitbox data was very important for me in ssf4 because I didn't have the time to play super as much as I did play vanilla(real life started to body me) but with those tools(specially the leaked hitbox videos) I managed to stay afloat and even win some tourneys in my local scene.

I wonder how long it'll take me to break this one?

However, I'm probably the only person in the world excited for the game not because its a Kamen Rider game but because it's a competent fighter. And from that footage thus far it seems that Meteor is new Birth (Gotou). If what I saw works like I think it does then I've broken the game before even playing it. Next week is going to be good with that and the Saint Seiya fighter to play around with for a bit.

sleepykyo

I went there about 4 times. 2 just random get togethers. 1 time for the (6 man) MK tourney. Once for VF5. Kind of regret missing the last one, now that it really is a last one.

Whoa. Mind blown about top players not knowing about frame data.

Maybe it was a regional thing, but I get the sense a lot of the US fgc relied more psychology and reflexes. Thus bringing about the whole, man everyone in Korea has their option selects down or everyone has memorized what to do post knockdown in Japan.

Whoa. Mind blown about top players not knowing about frame data. I disagree about the "big deal" part, I've been playing since the sf2 days and I remember in mvc2 days(and later in cvs2 and guilty gear x) terms like "frame kill", "0 frame startup", "0 frame startup after the super flash", "invincible hitbox", "2 and 3 frame startup AHBV" among many others being pretty common. I also remember the first frame data I read, it was a japanese mvc2 normal/command move table and finding out about 1 frame startup moves(like magneto's c.LK and megaman's c.LP). Or about the "strider hitbox + snapback trick" against MSP. Then of course, the cvs2 data and the roll cancel/custom combo talk too that was heavy into frames/frame advantage/invincibility frames or Sol having the fastest anti air regular move in the game(K, 3 frames) with a very nice hitbox. I read the term OS for the first time in GG, used for the throw/FD OS(a "plink").

Top cvs2 and mvc2 players I played with in northern california were definitely aware of what moves had 0 startup or advantage after block. They just generally wouldn't be able to tell you the precise frame data for specific moves and would instead just memorize x move is punishable by y move.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
AE and SFxTK and all their DLC are 50% off on Steam during the Autumn Sale. Though I do suggest people don't be idiots until all the daily deals come out in case it's even cheaper on a specific day.

kirblar

Managed to re-buy SFxT for 9 bux during the gamestop glitch. (My copy got lost.) Hopefully the patch makes the game fun.

Top cvs2 and mvc2 players I played with in northern california were definitely aware of what moves had 0 startup or advantage after block. They just generally wouldn't be able to tell you the precise frame data for specific moves and would instead just memorize x move is punishable by y move.

Pretty much this. I knew what I could punish with AHVB did I know the frames? Hell freaking no.

How many GAFers went to STA before? Excluding Haunts, obv.

Remember when I told you that I was visiting Stockton this past Summer? My last day in Cali I spent it hanging out in San Francisco and I head to STA. It was on a Sunday though and besides the employee, me, and my girl, their was only 1 other person there and he was playing KOF I think. So I dropped a dollar into the SF4 machine and proceeded to get owned by the computer twice before taking off. Too bad I couldn't have been there on a busier day.

But anyways it sucks to know the place is closing. I hope the guys in that area have another place to turn to for weeklies and get togethers.

jbug617

Banned
I just bought Neo Geo Battle Coliseum today. It's an okay game and there has to be a story why this game was made. Fersis probably knows why.

Top Bottom