• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tomb Raider Review out in the wild - Embargo up on Monday 02/25

That's not at all what the new Lara is about. The important point is not her being scared or getting beat up. The important point is that she stands up to overcome her fear and that she puts a bullet into the head of whoever beats her up. Like Rhianna Pratchett (the author of the game) said: you can't have bravery without fear.

the important part is that you can only be a strong woman if you are forced into it by having men assault you. If she'd never had that shipwreck she'd have been more than happy in the kitchen where she belongs, amirite?

It's a good thing Amelia Earhart was beaten up and groped by those thugs at an early age, because she would never have done something as unfeminine as be an explorer or aviator off of her own personality, no wait, that never happened and she didn't need to be forced into her career as a reactive position.

The original Lara Croft had paper thin characterisation, but just asked you to accept the premise that a girl can go out and be a thrill seeking adventurer implicitly.
It is all sorts of fucked up that a 21st century re-imagining can't even provide that.

Why even attach the Tomb Raider name to it, when not a single thing is used from it? The gameplays gone, the character is gone, just call it Rape Island Survivor or whatever.

EDIT:
My fundamental problem with the new characterisation is that somebody decided Lara Croft needed an excuse to be a gung-ho asskicker.
When "main character is a born bad ass" is sufficient for every game with a male protagonist ever.
You don't need to see Marcus Fenix getting all that prison butt sex rape to justify his overly macho posturing and daily steroid regimen physique.

G-Fex

the important part is that you can only be a strong woman if you are forced into it by having men assault you. If she'd never had that shipwreck she'd have been more than happy in the kitchen where she belongs, amirite?

It's a good thing Amelia Earhart was beaten up and groped by those thugs at an early age, because she would never have done something as unfeminine as be an explorer or aviator off of her own personality, no wait, that never happened and she didn't need to be forced into her career as a reactive position.

The original Lara Croft had paper thin characterisation, but just asked you to accept the premise that a girl can go out and be a thrill seeking adventurer implicitly.
It is all sorts of fucked up that a 21st century re-imagining can't even provide that.

Why even attach the Tomb Raider name to it, when not a single thing is used from it? The gameplays gone, the character is gone, just call it Rape Island Survivor or whatever.

This is a good post. I'm sorry I just never thought of it like this really. There's a reason I avoid all the feminism talks on this board. I have no real input on it.

Harlequin

EDIT:
My fundamental problem with the new characterisation is that somebody decided Lara Croft needed an excuse to be a gung-ho asskicker.
When "main character is a born bad ass" is sufficient for every game with a male protagonist ever.
You don't need to see Marcus Fenix getting all that prison butt sex rape to justify his overly macho posturing and daily steroid regimen physique.

Even the original Lara had an "excuse" as you call it. She only became a Tomb Raider because she crashed in the Himalayas when she was 21 (not 9, Crystal *rollseyes*) and had to survive on her own. This is pretty much the same. And she already is strong. The strength is within her from the start. However, yes, something obviously must've gone terribly wrong with her to later on decide that she wants to spend her life doing the things she's done throughout the TR series. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. No sane person, woman or man, would do those things willingly. Especially not "for sport". So yes, you do need a shocking, disturbing experience like surviving on this hell island for a normal person to turn into a cold-hearted, badass adventurer like classic Lara Croft.

EDIT: I agree that the portrayal of men and women in games is awfully stereotypical in a lot of cases. But the fault her does not lie with Crystal for wanting to create a somewhat believable origins story for their character. It lies with other developers who feel like men don't need them.

kunonabi

Even the original Lara had an "excuse" as you call it. She only became a Tomb Raider because she crashed in the Himalayas when she was 21 (not 9, Crystal *rollseyes*) and had to survive on her own. This is pretty much the same. And she already is strong. The strength is within her from the start. However, yes, something obviously must've done terribly wrong with her to later on decide that she wants to spend her life doing the things she's done throughout the TR series. It has nothing to do with her being a woman. No sane person, woman or man, would do those things willingly. Especially not "for sport". So yes, you do need a shocking, disturbing experience like surviving on this hell island for a normal person to turn into a cold-hearted, badass adventurer like classic Lara Croft.

No you don't. None of that leads into the adventurer/archeologist aspect of Lara just the mass murderer dimension that Crystal loves to push so much.

So yes, you do need a shocking, disturbing experience like surviving on this hell island for a normal person to turn into a cold-hearted, badass adventurer like classic Lara Croft.

Not even close to true based on real world historical precedent.

There have been thrill seeking adventurers throughout history, both men and women.
That's like saying any astronaut must have had some fucked up shit happen in their childhood for them to be crazy enough to become an astronaut.

Harlequin

No you don't. None of that leads into the adventurer/archeologist aspect of Lara just the mass murderer dimension that Crystal loves to push so much.

You mean the mass murderer Lara has been since Core's TR2 ;)?

Not even close to true based on real world historical precedent.

There have been thrill seeking adventurers throughout history, both men and women.
That's like saying any astronaut must have had some fucked up shit happen in their childhood for them to be crazy enough to become an astronaut.

I don't think those adventurers did what Lara has done or was as cold-hearted at doing it.

G-Fex

jumping ledges are still white.

Yes you can jump normally. Jumping seems okay.

I like the ziplining, then again i'm a sucker for zip lining

RagnarokX

This really isn't a good defense because people didn't even like it in THOSE games but at least they weren't designed around high action combat sequences like this game is. Only the final 2 levels of TR2 are combat-focused. She wasn't running around stylishly shoving arrows and axes in peoples skulls.

I think you can agree how extreme and violent is Lara in this game compared in Core's version. Also Core's version didn't tried to explain how she goes from a tender teenager to a violent ruthless murderer in a few hours.

I don't think those adventurers did what Lara has done or was as cold-hearted at doing it.

Francis Drake - as a famous example - was a slaver, and responsible for the deaths of hundreds, both civilians and children in Ireland, Spanish sailors in the ships he plundered, and his own crew.

He wasn't shipwrecked on an island and groped by big burly mercenaries at any point in his childhood.

sleepykyo

Only played the new trilogy. Was she always supposed to be so sadistic? Strangling people with her bowstring and walking up to them to plunge an arrow in the neck seems above and beyond what I remember in Legends and Underworld. That isn't cold-blooded, that is enjoyment, she clearly needs to see and feel the life drain from her prey.

RagnarokX

Francis Drake - as a famous example - was a slaver, and responsible for the deaths of hundreds, both civilians and children in Ireland, Spanish sailors in the ships he plundered, and his own crew.

He wasn't shipwrecked on an island and groped by big burly mercenaries at any point in his childhood.

When Christopher Columbus landed in America all he could think about was how easy it would be for a small group of soldiers to defeat and enslave the natives because they were so friendly.

Harlequin

This really isn't a good defense because people didn't even like it in THOSE games but at least they weren't designed around high action combat sequences like this game is. Only the final 2 levels of TR2 are combat-focused.

I wouldn't say that the new game will be designed around action combat. Like you said, TR2 had two combat focused levels but the rest of the game wasn't. So just because we've seen lots of combat in footage from this game doesn't mean that's what the whole game will be about.

I think you can agree how extreme and violent is Lara in this game compared in Core's version. Also Core's version didn't tried to explain how she goes from a tender teenager to a violent ruthless murdered in a few hours.

It certainly is more violent than Core's combat. But Core's Lara was extremely cold-blooded. Just think about the ending of TR3.

sublimit

Banned
This really isn't a good defense because people didn't even like it in THOSE games but at least they weren't designed around high action combat sequences like this game is. Only the final 2 levels of TR2 are combat-focused.

To be fair the Venice levels also had lots of shooting but the main difference here is that even with all that combat TR2's main focus was still on platforming,exploration,traps and puzzle solving unlike what they have shown us of the upcoming reboot.Unless there is a hidden game in there i bet the upcoming game is at least 80% about shooting.
And not to mention that TR2 was just one game that had excessive human combat out of six of Core Design's TR games.

Harlequin

Those were completely different times when people had different views on death, violence and killing. Not to mention that - to Francis Drake - slaves were probably not actual human beings. So no, that's not comparable.

RagnarokX

To be fair the Venice levels also had lots of shooting but the main difference here is that even with all that combat TR2's main focus was still on platforming,exploration,traps and puzzle solving unlike what they have shown us of the upcoming reboot.
And not to mention that it was just one game that had excessive human combat out of six of Core Design's TR games.

That was my point. This new Tomb Raider has sections where you're just running through linear hallways fighting waves of dudes to progress; most of that IGN walkthrough. The levels in TR2 were designed around platforming and puzzles, with dudes in a lot of them, but never designed around the dudes. This game has entire sections dedicated to dude killing.

G-Fex

That was my point. This new Tomb Raider has sections where you're just running through linear hallways fighting waves of dudes to progress; most of that IGN walkthrough.

Well it's outside too mostly and shantys.

BTW it seems the part the devs shown a lot of was just the beginning part, the island is pretty big.

sublimit

Banned
Well it's outside too mostly and shantys.

BTW it seems the part the devs shown a lot of was just the beginning part, the island is pretty big.

I don't think the radio tower section is in the beginning.And they have shown way too much of it.

Harlequin

Only played the new trilogy. Was she always supposed to be so sadistic? Strangling people with her bowstring and walking up to them to plunge an arrow in the neck seems above and beyond what I remember in Legends and Underworld. That isn't cold-blooded, that is enjoyment, she clearly needs to see and feel the life drain from her prey.

Crystal's games so far featured more a Barbie version of Lara Croft than the actual Lara Croft. That being said, the new Lara isn't sadistic. At least not at the beginning of the game. She's desparate. Sure, she sometimes initiates combat but only because she knows that the guys would kill her, so she might as well get an advantage on them by being the first to attack. And she uses whatever she can to get out of their alive. She certainly is too powerful in comparison to her enemies (except if everything they've shown so far was on easy difficulty), though.

But Core's Lara was certainly on the sadistic side, sometimes. Just watch this cutscene from Tomb Raider: Chronicles:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PamoveF61ww

In the Core Tomb Raider games, the main gameplay was never killing humans.

No and I still hope that won't be the case in this game, either. But she still killed an awful lot of humans in the classics so that makes her a mass murderer.

Harlequin

I don't think the radio tower section is in the beginning.And they have shown way too much of it.

The radio tower is about 2-3 hours into the game, I think. It's about the ending of the opening third from what I've read.

KILLS MANY MEN

SAYS SORRY TO DEAD PILOT

That's because the men she kills are trying to kill her and her friends. The pilot, on the other hand, was killed by those same men.

Harlequin

Why she was sadistic?She didn't even laid a finger on him. :D

I'm not saying it's a bad thing. That's one of my favourite Lara moments, actually. I'm just saying that she's always been a cold-hearted bitch which is why I don't understand people saying things like Lara isn't a mass murderer, etc.

G-Fex

ok i'll stop saying stuff about TR now. I might be watching but I'd rather watch this british dude play RE knife only and I got my own speed running to do.

Fracas

#fuckonami
no, I'm hoping they get killed off but eh...

Ah okay, haha.

I'm doing a characters section for the OT, it's just her and Roth at the moment. If I can find any solid art of the mercenaries that are attacking them, I'll put them in as well.

G-Fex

Ah okay, haha.

I'm doing a characters section for the OT, it's just her and Roth at the moment. If I can find any solid art of the mercenaries attacking them, I'll put them in as well.

The mercs all look the same to me. At first I thought they were big but it's just the stupid coats or sweaters they're wearing.

Harlequin

Ah okay, haha.

I'm doing a characters section for the OT, it's just her and Roth at the moment. If I can find any solid art of the mercenaries attacking them, I'll put them in as well.

Look at the official TR Facebook page. They're currently releasing bios for all of Lara's friends (one per day):

http://www.facebook.com/TombRaider

So far we've got Lara, Roth, Sam, Reyes, Whitman, Jonah, Alex and Grim. There are more Endurance crew members but I'm not sure if we'll get bios for all fo them.

EDIT: And here's a list with multiplayer skins (which has also got some of the scavengers). Careful! SPOILERS! http://i774.photobucket.com/albums/...y_tombraider_survivor-d5ruhq6_zpsd7c208df.png

kunonabi

No and I still hope that won't be the case in this game, either. But she still killed an awful lot of humans in the classics so that makes her a mass murderer.

The difference is the old games didn't play it up and make it the entire driving force of the narrative and game. It's always been an aspect that nobody cared for but this reboot is doubling down on it in order to attract the Cod/gears audience.

Damn, Lara is just mauling these guys so bad that they're already calling for backup.

Top Bottom