• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tomb Raider Review out in the wild - Embargo up on Monday 02/25

Tricky was right

Suck it haters

rambolaralkqfb.gif

Fracas

#fuckonami
What are you thinking? Mid week, weekend?

Not sure, there are a couple of variables. Diamond's doing banners, haven't heard from him in a while. Most of the content is there (aside from characters, I'm currently working on it now). If Diamond's got his stuff ready, it'll be Tuesday or mid week. It will be up for sure by Sunday-Monday.

Really hope you guys like it! It's my first OT. Trying to keep my hype in check and not make the OT look like a PR disaster.

Grisby

Not sure, there are a couple of variables. Diamond's doing banners, haven't heard from him in a while. Most of the content is there (aside from characters, I'm currently working on it now). If Diamond's got his stuff ready, it'll be Tuesday or mid week. It will be up for sure by Sunday-Monday.
Cool, cool. Was curious.

Skilletor

Uh oh that means GAF will for sure hate it regardless of how amazing it ends up being. This isn't my tomb raider from 17 years ago omg cry waaaaaaaaaaaa.

Yeah, reviews TOTALLY matter and I should justify my purchases based on some metacritic conglomerate.

I see the light. All of the people who complain about a meaningful lack of interaction, taking the cues of so many other AAA titles, Fisher Price platforming, and tacked on multiplayers are just haters who are mad this isn't Tomb Raider from 17 years ago! You're absolutely right. GAF, that hive mind, have no clue what "they" are talking about. Let's just lump everybody together instead of addressing individual posters and concerns.

You have shown me the light:

I bought it, not because I would like to see for myself and form my own opinions in a franchise that has existed for as long as I have been able to buy my own games, but because you are right. Reviews matter and I should fall in line with random voices on the internet who tell me what is good or bad. So let us all rise up and say fuck "GAF," with a bunch of these:

hatersgonna.jpg

because to hell with constructive discussion when opinions different from mine exist! Such opinions are obviously slave to nostalgia and aren't even worth discussion.

So since we've already decided that this game is going to be fucking amazing without playing it, and this is okay, and people who believe based on media the game looks bad (also before playing, and this is not okay), what gifs should we use in lieu of actual conversation in order to get our points across? This has always been a favorite of mine:

76110good.gif

And when somebody posts something I disagree with about Tomb Raider, I will just post:

otq0dl.gif

Derrick01

Banned
What are the chances that any major publication mentions ANY of the problems people have with this game in the reviews? I'm thinking they'll be searching online for all sorts of new hyperbolic positive phrases they can slip in.

MormaPope

Banned
A female version of Far Cry 3? Ugh.

Far Cry 3 was an awesome package wrapped in 20 pounds of pillow fluff, awesome open sandbox moments with enough useless shit to fill up the San Andreas fault.

Tomb Raider having really poor combat with collectathons sounds lame any way you cut it.

Hoping the collectible elements are better integrated than ACIII, which is a game I enjoyed but also one whose pacing and sense of immersion were constantly ruined by completely useless fluff.

x-Lundz-x

Damn did I strike a nerve? So you have played the game and know it has a lack of meaningful interaction and fisher price performing then eh? I was just making the observation that despite almost universal positive buzz a lot of GAF seems upset that they didn't make Tomb Raider 1996 version with updated graphics. Time to move on from the 90's. it's a gaming forming man no need to blow a gasket bro.

what if it's actually good tho.

I like ow it's always "lol gaeming jounalism" when they heap praise on a game with a bad rap but wow look at dem scores when a game is highly saught after.

I have no horse in this race..just funny watching this thread and say the Ni No Kuni review thread.

They can't all be wrong right, if a bunch of people say it's good? Or will the reviews that say otherwise be the legit reviews?

It's like the Ninja Theory guy all over again.

saunderez

what if it's actually good tho.

I like ow it's always "lol gaeming jounalism" when they heap praise on a game with a bad rap but wow look at dem scores when a game is highly saught after.

I have no horse in this race..just funny watching this thread and say the Ni No Kuni review thread.

They can't all be wrong right?

Some people have their minds made up long before a game even comes out and you're not gonna change their minds no matter how many good reviews they see.

Damn did I strike a nerve? So you have played the game and know it has a lack of meaningful interaction and fisher price performing then eh? I was just making the observation that despite almost universal positive buzz a lot of GAF seems upset that they didn't make Tomb Raider 1996 version with updated graphics. Time to move on from the 90's. it's a gaming forming man no need to blow a gasket bro.

And if you think people wanted Tomb Raider 1 HD, I'm almost positive you haven't read any real criticism that Tomb Reboot has received.

It blows my mind how many people apparently don't get it. I hope one of your favorite franchises gets a similar treatment. Maybe it'll sink in then.

Salaadin

Do we know if this is getting a pre load on Steam? If I order from Amazon, will they send me the steam code once the pre load goes up?

Skilletor

Nobody's blowing a gasket, bro. If you have something to say, stop addressing it to some entity "GAF," and address the people to whom you're speaking. It's getting old seeing people say, LOL IT'S NOT THE SAME GAME FROM 17 YEARS AGO, GAF HATES EVERYTHING, bro. That's not what I want, bro. It's not anything I've said in any of the posts saying what I dislike about this game, bro.

If you see somebody saying that, address them.

I am not the one who said it had a lack of meaningful interaction.

http://www.pcgamer.com/previews/tomb-raider-hands-on-a-lack-of-meaningful-interaction/

This preview did.

It's a message board about videogames. Certainly nothing to get upset about.

kunonabi

No one has asked for that and it's quite obvious from the streams and footage that the platforming is painfully weak.

MormaPope

Banned

It's also possible to draw more inspiration from those titles then name and one lead character alone. Tomb Raider at it's base should be about challenging platforming, instead platforming is when you stop pushing the right trigger and start falling asleep.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I get why some people are upset, but the absolute hatred this game garners around here surprises me.

I know all about franchises straying from roots. I've been a Halo fan since launch :'(

MormaPope

Banned
I just remembered it's on PC too so I'm sure RPS will tear it a new one. They do the best ether jobs on all these shitty run of the mill games, usually military FPS games.

But they gave Far Cry 3 a great score and you disagreed with that completely. But you're hopefully right. Just be prepared for unanimous praise, as it could happen.

Some people have their minds made up long before a game even comes out and you're not gonna change their minds no matter how many good reviews they see.

Exactly, that's what all the media is for. If Street Fighter 5 was a card battle game, I wouldn't need much information to dismiss it even if it was the best card battle game ever. While an extreme example, a better one would be DmC. To me, DmC didn't look quite like a DMC game. When I had it in my hands, this was only confirmed. Not a bad game but, my suspicions were well founded.

If you don't like slaughtering a bunch of dudes (idgaf), nothing the media says will change your mind about this Tomb Raider

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I just remembered it's on PC too so I'm sure RPS will tear it a new one. They do the best ether jobs on all these shitty run of the mill games, usually military FPS games.
Yeah i think so too, their preview was pretty negative.

foxdvd

if the game is good...it is good. The fact that they attach the Tomb Raider name to it to get sales might make some mad, but it is the nature of the beast. I learned a long time ago to judge a game on how much fun I have playing it, and not how it continues the tradition of a name. Very few games have been able to continue past 2 or 3 games anyway and stay good.

Skilletor

if the game is good...it is good. The fact that they attach the Tomb Raider name to it to get sales might make some mad, but it is the nature of the beast. I learned a long time ago to judge a game on how much fun I have playing it, and not how it continues the tradition of a name. Very few games have been able to continue past 2 or 3 games anyway and stay good.

And if I like Tomb Raider games and not the type of game they've attached to Tomb Raider, then I won't think it's good, no matter how many Uncharted and TPS fans say it is.

I get why some people are upset, but the absolute hatred this game garners around here surprises me.

I know all about franchises straying from roots. I've been a Halo fan since launch :'(

Hey I was a fps fan before Halo came along and ruined everything! It is the circle of video games, everybody gets old and cranky eventually ;)

The way I look at it? It is win win. If it is crap and bombs? Well there is a very good chance that somebody will pick up the slack and make a real game (lets face it, the Tomb Raider name will stay around).

If it is a massive success? I will play a fun game and then the sequel will go even more cinematic to chase those AAAAAAA sales and it will bomb. Then we might also get another reboot.

I have time.

Derrick01

Banned
But they gave Far Cry 3 a great score and you disagreed with that completely. But you're hopefully right. Just be prepared for unanimous praise, as it could happen.

While that was disappointing that was just a standard open world Ubi game, it wasn't one of these AAA games that doesn't try to do anything on its own and just rip from other popular games. Those are the games they love to tear apart.

What are the chances that any major publication mentions ANY of the problems people have with this game in the reviews? I'm thinking they'll be searching online for all sorts of new hyperbolic positive phrases they can slip in.

I'm mostly interested in seeing if any reviews take it to task for its bungling of themes like rape (if the final game does end up having terrible writing) or if everyone will just praise it for being WOO YEAH GRITTY! regardless of its quality.

RagnarokX

Nintendo could turn Mario into a first person shooter, and it could be the best damned first person shooter ever made, but a lot of people are going to be understandably angry.

Harlequin

I'm mostly interested in seeing if any reviews take it to task for its bungling of themes like rape (if the final game does end up having terrible writing) or if everyone will just praise it for being WOO YEAH GRITTY! regardless of its quality.

The "rape" stuff has been blown WAY out of proportion. An actual rape isn't and never was part of the game. There's one scene which has slight sexual undertones but if you fail that QTE all that happens is Lara getting strangled to death. No rape or anything even getting close to it. Most of the people complaining about it were pseudo-feminists who hadn't even watched the scene (or had only seen out-of-context snippets of it) and knew nothing about the game's story.

IGN's comment about being one of the best games this generation is very encouraging.

Like I said, I think it's going to be a surprise hit and surprise a lot of people. But mostly the single player. I hope multiplayer also delivers.

Harlequin

Nintendo could turn Mario into a first person shooter, and it could be the best damned first person shooter ever made, but a lot of people are going to be understandably angry.

That's a whole lot more extreme than the transition from the previous TR games to the reboot, though. And if anything, the franchise should've been getting this kind of hate since Legend TBH. That's when TR stopped being TR. Everyone who wasn't upset then really shouldn't bother starting with this hate now IMO. It just seems like people jumping onto the bash train because it's popular ATM.

People had the same reaction with Metroid. Once Prime came out, it changed everything and became one of the best Metroid games next to Super Metroid.

Not saying Mario should be an FPS, of course, but maybe Tomb Raider will be so good that it'll have a similar influence that RE4 and Metroid Prime did whenever a beloved popular franchise has a drastic makeover.

Eusis

That's a whole lot more extreme than the transition from the previous TR games to the reboot, though. And if anything, the franchise should've been getting this kind of hate since Legend TBH. That's when TR stopped being TR. Everyone who wasn't upset then really shouldn't bother starting with this hate now IMO. It just seems like people jumping onto the bash train because it's popular ATM.
I think at the time everyone was so put off by Angel of Darkness (and wanting a change from tank controls) that it was a relief. I was annoyed by how much more linear it felt than the first, but didn't put too much thought into it then.

antitrop

I still don't think I've seen the backlash towards Metroid Prime topped yet.

Other than maybe Wind Waker. Never forget "Celda".

Nothing but bitching on the forums back in the days.

SougoXIII

People had the same reaction with Metroid. Once Prime came out, it changed everything and became one of the best Metroid games next to Super Metroid.

Not saying Mario should be an FPS, of course, but maybe Tomb Raider will be so good that it'll have a similar influence that RE4 and Metroid Prime did whenever a beloved popular franchise has a drastic makeover.

From what I've seen, I highly doubt this to be the case but I'm hoping to be pleasantly surprise.

dreamfall

IGN's comment about being one of the best games this generation is very encouraging.

Like I said, I think it's going to be a surprise hit and surprise a lot of people. But mostly the single player. I hope multiplayer also delivers.

I don't think this will be surprising.

I think all the reviews will be encouraging, bordering on some crazy hyperbole regarding how competent it is. I hope it does well, and I hope it is great.

But it seems like a reflection of a lot of mechanics borrowed from other modern games- huge emphasis on gory combat, simple platforming, QTEs, etc. I just want some exploration- fleeting moments with the discovery of Tombs, traps and good puzzles- I've tempered my expectations from some of the footage.

I think multiplayer looks completely derivative, but I'll withhold true judgment until trying it.

Top Bottom