• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

First Tomb Raider Review out in the wild - Embargo up on Monday 02/25

Derrick01

Banned
It's the difference between "innocent until proven guilty" and "guilty until proven innocent".

Since we're using lame court references that don't apply to anything outside of court, this game is like seeing a video of a person on trial for murder gunning down someone in plain sight and then wasting time proceeding with the trial when it should be over with right then. The pre-existing media and previews have told me this game is guilty of game design murder of the 1st degree.

Now that I think about it, how many of these Uncharted-style games are on PC?

None?

The heavily Uncharted-esque games are this, Uncharted itself and maybe Enslaved. I can't think of that many

The criticism is dumbing down in general. There aren't many games that straight up ape Uncharted

ezekial45

Banned
Since we're using lame court references that don't apply to anything outside of court, this game is like seeing a video of a person on trial for murder gunning down someone in plain sight and then wasting time proceeding with the trial when it should be over with right then. The pre-existing media and previews have told me this game is guilty of game design murder of the 1st degree.

Care to elaborate?

Tagg9

Wow, haha. Succinctly put.

If you've already come to the conclusion that this game is not for you, then I agree you probably have enough information to make this call. However, until I hear actual impressions of the final game as a whole, I personally am willing to give it the benefit of the doubt.

I think I've explained the issues with this game in detail more than enough times by now, to the point that anyone who's followed TR threads should know.

no-one keeps a running tab of all your opinions, dude

not that it's hard to understand, given all I've seen of this game looks like boring shootmans and qtes, which I'm guessing is what you're talking about

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The game looks fine. It will most likely be pretty good but nothing great. Most of the big AAA games are that nowadays.

I think single player will be a surprising hit and get great reviews. I think it'll do better than what people are generally expecting, IMO.

However, I think multiplayer will be criticized. I think as a single player game, I may enjoy it as much as the Uncharted series if not more. But Uncharted's multiplayer is pretty awesome. I don't think Tomb Raider's multiplayer will be on par with Uncharted's standards, but like most would say, who cares about multiplayer with Tomb Raider.

Well said mate. Your negativity in most things gaming really pisses me off at times, but it this particular matter it is wholly warranted.

Derrick01

Banned
no-one keeps a running tab of all your opinions, dude

not that it's hard to understand, given all I've seen of this game looks like boring shootmans and qtes, which I'm guessing is what you're talking about

Boiled down to a base level but yeah that's a big part of it. It's also the shoehorning of pretty much every overused game element into the already homogenized blob that is the design of this game. Needless RPG elements and collectibles/checklist features for OCD people, hunting, detective vision/instinct mode, modern cinematic game elements. The whole project is like the goal in mind was to make the most average and safe modern game as possible.

Shinta

Banned
I think single player will be a surprising hit and get great reviews. I think it'll do better than what people are generally expecting, IMO.

However, I think multiplayer will be criticized. I think as a single player game, I may enjoy it as much as the Uncharted series if not more. But Uncharted's multiplayer is pretty awesome. I don't think Tomb Raider's multiplayer will be on par with Uncharted's standards, but like most would say, who cares about multiplayer with Tomb Raider.

I think they've held back a lot of surprises that people will enjoy. The game's story is mostly unknown, there's supposedly supernatural elements as well, and I think we'll see more varied terrain than they've shown so far: snow, beaches, nighttime, etc.

I agree the multi-player looks pointless. Forgot the game even had MP.

Huh, didn't realise it had all that. Sounds like Far Cry 3 all over again! :/

That said, I wouldn't have found FC3 so bloated if the main story had been even remotely compelling, so maybe that'll be better with this game. I can't really tell.

Squire

Banned
Boiled down to a base level but yeah that's a big part of it. It's also the shoehorning of pretty much every overused game element into the already homogenized blob that is the design of this game. Needless RPG elements and collectibles/checklist features for OCD people, hunting, detective vision/instinct mode, modern cinematic game elements. The whole project is like the goal in mind was to make the most average and safe modern game as possible.

Derrick, I think the thing with you is you more than just argue your issues with the game (and you argue them well and I respect that), but you act though you know without a shadow of a doubt this game is awful. And you could very well be right! But it seems like you don't even entertain the idea it could turn out to be a decent game you respect or - heaven forbid - enjoy.

Necrovex

Just bought this game for $30 (through a Gaffer), I have been fairly curious about this title for a while. I really dug the first showing of it at E3 during '11. I haven't paid too much attention behind the hype/hate. I am quite excited to play through this new edition of Tomb Raider during my spring break.

smr00

Banned
A world exclusive being positive? I for one am shocked.

This game could get 10s across the board and I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole. This is not Tomb Raider.
Something something how dare developers try something new with their franchises something something.

You will never get another Tomb Raider, not the Tomb Raider you want. It's 2013. To me this looks more interesting then everything they have done with this mediocre IP in the past.

For multiplayer, one reason why Uncharted is so fun is because you can play as the memorable characters in the game. In Tomb Raider, can you even play as Lara Croft? Other than her, who else is memorable?

Which is why multiplayer looks pretty generic, kind of like Spec-Ops the Line's multiplayer.

I just hope, like Spec Ops the Line, the main reason to buy TR is for the excellent single player.

Harlequin

For multiplayer, one reason why Uncharted is so fun is because you can play as the memorable characters in the game. In Tomb Raider, can you even play as Lara Croft? Other than her, who else is memorable?

Which is why multiplayer looks pretty generic, kind of like Spec-Ops the Line's multiplayer.

I just hope, like Spec Ops the Line, the main reason to buy TR is for the excellent single player.

You can. But Lara is only unlocked when you reach level 60. That's supposed to keep everyone from choosing Lara, I guess. And we'll see whether any of the other characters are memorable once we've completed the story.

Derrick01

Banned
Derrick, I think the thing with you is you more than just argue your issues with the game (and you argue them well and I respect that), but you act though you know without a shadow of a doubt this game is awful. And you could very well be right! But it seems like you don't even entertain the idea it could turn out to be a decent game you respect or - heaven forbid - enjoy.

Much like Hitman, I feel confident that I've seen enough to make that call. There's been no shortage of media for this game after all.

I'm still renting it though because I'm interested in seeing how accurate I was. And I need some time to waste before God of War comes out.

Jedi2016

Something something how dare developers try something new with their franchises something something.
"Something new"? Bullshit.

Something new I could get more behind.. this is something old. You don't do something "new" by making a carbon copy of another game that already does said thing pretty much perfectly.

noobasuar

Banned
Almost all third party AAA games released for consoles in the past few years is boring, medicore, homogeneous crap.

It doesn't take a whole lot of media to figure out where this game falls.

You can. But Lara is only unlocked when you reach level 60. That's supposed to keep everyone from choosing Lara, I guess. And we'll see whether any of the other characters are memorable once we've completed the story.

Oh OK. I was pretty sure she'd be playable, if not as DLC.

It was weird seeing ten Nathan Drake's running around the map. It'd be even weirder seeing ten Lara Crofts.

MormaPope

Banned
Huh, didn't realise it had all that. Sounds like Far Cry 3 all over again! :/

That said, I wouldn't have found FC3 so bloated if the main story had been even remotely compelling, so maybe that'll be better with this game. I can't really tell.

At least Far Cry 3 felt like a real island where fun/funny shit could happen once in a while. Tomb Raider is going to be a downer of game in every way.

~Kinggi~

Banned

You will never get another Tomb Raider, not the Tomb Raider you want. It's 2013. To me this looks more interesting then everything they have done with this mediocre IP in the past.

/Brofist

got around to watching latest trailer... game actually looks quite fun. I do hope they don't try to play it too serious though cuz it looks like a fucking video ass video game, not some survival horror journey.

Kinda wish they just created a new ip for this, and made it a bit less serious to match the gameplay.

~Kinggi~

Banned
got around to watching latest trailer... game actually looks quite fun. I do hope they don't try to play it too serious though cuz it looks like a fucking video ass video game, not some survival horror journey.

Kinda wish they just created a new ip for this, and made it a bit less serious to match the gameplay.

New IP is very difficult to sell these days if you arent on a new console.

Kind of unrelated but did Eidos change Lara Croft's design, like her facial features, in the final game? She looks a little different than the CG trailer I saw earlier. Unless that's just the difference between the CG rendering and in-game model, which I assume it is.

Squire

Banned
Much like Hitman, I feel confident that I've seen enough to make that call. There's been no shortage of media for this game after all.

I'm still renting it though because I'm interested in seeing how accurate I was. And I need some time to waste before God of War comes out.

I think you'll be eating much crow, my friend ;)

hlhbk

I couldn't disagree more. A game like this should be 100% serious.

Can someone explain why if a game is of a dark serious nature its "a downer"?

Derrick01

Banned

We'll see. I had a lot of people tell me that in the months leading up to Hitman's release and a lot of perfectly good crow went to waste and had to be thrown out. They've shown even more of this game than that so I've seen most of what it has to offer in the gameplay department.

I missed it, is there a demo planned?

Also, Redbox shows this game will be released for rental. A cheap alternative to buying to see if the game is worth it.

Nobody's going to eat any crow. They've put out enough videos that we all know exactly what we're getting here: A cinematic third person adventure-shooter. It might even end up being a well made one of those, but the fact remains that its one of those. The people that dislike what they've seen aren't suddenly going to change their opinion because it receives great reviews, or even if the game accomplishes what it sets out to do.

I couldn't disagree more. A game like this should be 100% serious.

His point was that the gameplay is so insanely "videogamey" now, that a serious survival-esque journey feels at odds with what you're actually doing. The game is 100% power fantasy, but please cry with Lara after every kill.

Since Mark Cerny (Lead PS4 architect) is now a topic I watched his DICE presentation part about focus testing. Everything he says seems to describe this game lol

"What's popular as of ten minutes ago"
"How not to stand out"
"The feature list of every game that was pretty good"

They really focus tested it to death. Can just recommend watching it: www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOAW9ioWAvE#t=37m9s

Nope. Here's why from the brand director:
1335154809624vbity.gif

Chindogg

Haven't played the game, but I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy a game where your main character is trying to avoid being raped and the deaths are Resident Evil 4 levels of brutal (there's a gif running around with Lara being impaled on a branch right under her chin.)

Just reading about that stuff makes me wonder if this is no longer a platforming/exploration game but a survival horror, a brutal "I Spit On Your Grave" style of survival horror. It might be for some people, but that sort of thing just isn't for me.

Then again they could have backed away from all of that during development and everything will be golden. I guess we'll have to see.

Top Bottom