• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 3 Demo Discussion Thread

Just tested it with the GT3, going backwards into walls will indeed mash up the engine. It's great that they actually localise the internal damage rather than just randomly break something when you hit.

Gowans007 said:
Awesome, but how are they in the demo? I didn't see an option for them.

Guess they are turned on and off server end along with the in game option, wonder if they are on FM.net too?

not sure. but it wouldn't surprise me if the option is hidden until the servers are ready

Spasm

For the love of God, PLEASE tell me I can save replays in the demo...

I got busted up pretty bad, so instead of finishing the race like normal, I drove the track backwards, and plowed head-on into the 'Vette.

Both of us are upside down, but I flipped back over and took off pretty quick. Not him. He stayed upside down for like a minute before finally resetting. When he did, he was smack in the middle of the track, with only ONE of his rear wheels burning out like crazy. The other one wasn't even moving. Traction control's a bitch, eh? He seemed like he was completely stuck.

When the rest of the A.I. cars got to him, they plowed into him one at a time, at full speed, flying off in all different directions... Bumpers and spoilers raining down from the heavens. It was a wreck that'd make the Burnout devs go, "My God, the Humanity!"

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Rizob said:
Forza 3 demo @1080p on a calabirated 46" Sony X2000.

The calibration settings have nothing to do with the sharpness settings on your set. Are they set to 0.

alterno69

Banned
About the jaggies, i'm playing on a 40" Bravia at 720p, jaggies are there on the other cars, tracks and my car are very clean but the rest of the cars in the track in front of you do have them and it's very easy to spot, not a big deal like i said but it's there.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
I just created a five car pile up with the mini and the evo X on two separate occasions. This is way too much fun.

I just got a chance to play it for 45 minutes or so. No assists, highest difficulty, controller (until I drag out my wheel).

For 95% of the people out there, you'll love it. I suspect it hits the sweet spot for what most people want out of their console sims. It's fast, looks good, and makes you feel like your really in control.

Unfortunately, for the other 5% who put a nuanced and dynamic driving model at the very top of their wish list, FM3 sadly does not have that. What you get instead is a terrific arcade model. Something like an improved PGR. The last few PGRs drove me nuts with their super-pointy, and grippy front ends. It like if that was taken way, and you now have actual corner entries. It's really good…in comparison to PGR.

What PGR and FM3 now share in common is near infinite longitudinal grip, i.e. straight line grip. After wondering what the hell was going on, I tried an experiment to see where things were going wrong. One by one I took all the cars and stopped them on the side of the road. 1st gear, 0mph, floor the throttle, and all the cars spun their wheels until some magic traction control like nanny kicked in, and sent them on their way. I tried again this time on a slight roll. No wheel spin. None. OK, well how slow do I need to go before they'll spin up like they do at the start of the race? 5mph is the answer. Like a light switch, the wheel start spinning. Not at 6mph, only at 5 and below.

So what, right? Well it means that there's no longer a balance between lateral grip and longitudinal grip. It's now point and shoot. At corner exit, booting the throttle in any gear, in any car will not bring the back end around. At all. You'll need to exceed lateral grip, or hit a bump, or jump, or something to get the back end to come around.

I don't know if anyone saw the short back and forth Spaceman Spliff and I had about driving dynamics, and throttle modulation in the main thread. Here, I'll just quote it:

Spaceman Spiff said:
A while back, I was reading impressions from the folks that got to play FM3 at the Audi AFX Challenge, and the game's handling got unanimous praise. It was tighter, weightier, and with none of the "point and shoot" dynamics of FM2, where you could get a car settled in a corner, and then pretty much just nail the throttle. Throttle modulation was said to be much more important in FM3.
BCD2 said:
Speaking of which; "Throttle modulation was said to be much more important in FM3." This I had not read. That's the whole enchilada for me. My favorite part of racing games, and the part most susceptible to being screwed up. If what was said is true, man, good times ahead.

It's so fuckin' not that.

I'm certainly disappointed, but do I hate FM3? Hell no. My LCE is still on order, and I'm going to play the heck out of it when it finally ships. It's a fun game, no question. It's just that it's no longer the type of game it once was. It no longer offers the fine balance of control that, at least for me, is so appealing about driving sims.

Like I said at the top though, that vast majority will love it as is, and maybe that's for the best. I'm not sure too many people will know what I'm on about anyway.

A couple of other quick notes:

- The AI is too damn slow. Hopefully it's tuned for a two lap race though.
- The clutch is more or less unusable with a controller.
- A single "TV" like camera is not enough. The 5200 other ones don't make up for it.
- The lateral grip improvements are much needed. Road cars understeer - that's what they do by nature.
- I thought the load times were going to be worse to be honest.
- The banging noise after jumping (?) constantly had me looking in my rearview wonder who'd hit me. Kind of annoying actually.

BCD2 said:
One by one I took all the cars and stopped them on the side of the road. 1st gear, 0mph, floor the throttle, and all the cars spun their wheels until some magic traction control like nanny kicked in, and sent them on their way. I tried again this time on a slight roll. No wheel spin. None. OK, well how slow do I need to go before they'll spin up like they do at the start of the race? 5mph is the answer. Like a light switch, the wheel start spinning. Not at 6mph, only at 5 and below.
I just tested the GT3 in the same manner and it span up to 60+ mph... and then threw me off the road because I wasn't pointing the wheel. :lol I was also able to light up my wheels at anything up to about 20mph (which yeah, isn't right, but isn't what you're getting for some reason). Mine certainly doesn't go magically on its way though. Every time I've tried it the GT3 has tried to spin me off the road unless I drop the revs.

I assume you're looking at the telemetry screen when you're doing this.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
BCD2 said:
I just got a chance to play it for 45 minutes or so. No assists, highest difficulty, controller (until I drag out my wheel)....etc...

An interesting read. I'm not exactly sure what you're describing, I'm no way near an expert on racing simulators but I did notice that even using advanced mode driving with most assists off, I was able to compete and win a 2 lap race and frankly, I'm not skilled enough to be able to do that unless I was getting quite a bit of help from the driving model.

Does anyone remember Grand Prix Legends on PC [1998]. Just about the most accurate physics i've ever come across. And with all aids off, I could barely get around a corner.

Psychotext said:
I just tested the GT3 in the same manner and it span up to 40+ mph... and then threw me off the road because I wasn't pointing the wheel. :lol I was also able to light up my wheels at anything up to about 20mph (which yeah, isn't right).

I assume you're looking at the telemetry screen when you're doing this.
Nope, just playing regularly. I tried it with every car, and it was the same.

Dear God, please tell me I missed something in the TC settings. I honestly don't think I did though.

Well, I've been checking it again (see edit) and the Porsche will actually spin up to 60+ mph if you can keep it on the road. You're absolutely right about the rolling thing from what I can see, but it's not quite as low as you're making out.

I can take a vid... but not until I get someone to hold my camera (no tripod!).

Label said:
I really really love the demo! So damn good :D

The only problem I have is I am unable to drive using the triggers, right analogue stick all the way. But ah well full game is not that far away!

I've been a big FORZA gamer since the first FORZA came out and I don't think i've ever even tried this. I know what I will be doing with FORZA 2 right when I get home.

Yoritomo

BCD2 said:

Dear God, please tell me I missed something in the TC settings. I honestly don't think I did though.

You're missing something. The only two cars that are feasible to do this with are the Ferrari and the Porsche GT3.

Both are fine. I can lay rubber down, do donuts, modulate the brake and the throttle to do a stationary burnout, etc...

The Mini is too underpowered unless you pop the clutch, the evo is 4wd, and the Audi is 4wd.

skybaby

If you press the handbrake button, you can see the driver reaching for it in the cockpit. In the cockpit camera he doesn't reach out.
The bottom of the GT3's rear wing reflects the car's painting? Nope it doesn't, it's a painted on reflection, just saw the thing sitting on the road reflecting the painting :lol

erahk64

BCD2 said:

Can you try that when using a wheel ?
Maybe there are some hidden assists when using a controller .

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
BCD2 said:
At corner exit, booting the throttle in any gear, in any car will not bring the back end around. At all.

what!? in any car?

someone please shoot this down...

Yoritomo said:
You're missing something. The only two cars that are feasible to do this with are the Ferrari and the Porsche GT3.

Both are fine. I can lay rubber down, do donuts, modulate the brake and the throttle to do a stationary burnout, etc...

The Mini is too underpowered unless you pop the clutch, the evo is 4wd, and the Audi is 4wd.
Shit, now I'm really doubting myself! All I did was jack it to the max "difficulty", and change the gearbox back to manual/no clutch.

I'm not home, so I can't confirm anything, but I'll happily take your words for it until I get back.

Previous impressions are without a doubt on hold.

Rizob

cyberheater said:
The calibration settings have nothing to do with the sharpness settings on your set. Are they set to 0.
Sharpness is set to 15/100. Anything below that on my model actually blurs the image, so theoretically it's zero.

Again, this isn't a setup issue. Of course there's going to be jaggies in a game with only 2xAA. I'm more succeptable to it than a lot of people though.

I've got a vid going up in a sec... something is wrong with the capture (I'm not sure why, there's strange colours all over it) but it'll certainly show the Porsche spinning up to 60+ mph.

LQX

Really nice demo. No jaggies and looks good but I wish they would stop with the bullshit screen shots. Best of all though is that loading is minimal. After all the loading in Swift I was dreading the load times this game might have and thankfully its not as atrocious with like 5 different load out screen before the actual race.

Psychotext said:
I've got a vid going up in a sec... something is wrong with the capture (I'm not sure why, there's strange colours all over it) but it'll certainly show the Porsche spinning up to 60+ mph.
Awesome, thanks. Waiting with crossed fingers.

schennmu said:
How does it hold up graphically to Shift? (Considering that's only 30fps)

Also is the cockpit view as good as in Shift?
Shift's cockpit movement is extremely exaggerated, you get the feeling of G in the f3 demo but you don't get the car having a fit while you try to drive.

sonitii

I played each car in the demo and am quite impressed so far. TDriving feels good. High and smooth framerate is very nice. I do notice jagged edges but it's not a dealbreaker for me. Looking forward to this and GT5.

I just need to learn tuning set ups better. Like I said before.... I've played the games since the first one came out and still am not good at tuning. I always have to resort to buying tuned cars from people online. :( :( :(

LQX

I forgot to mention one thing that really bothered me was the half-assed cockpit view. Try to look around and it takes you outside of the car instead of giving you a inside the car view of whats outside. That sucked.

LQX said:
I forgot to mention one thing that really bothered me was the half-assed cockpit view. Try to look around and it takes you outside of the car instead of giving you a inside the car view of whats outside. That sucked.

Oh wow that does suck. Shift lets you look around inside the car and over to the passenger side mirror.

MidnightRider said:
Oh wow that does suck. Shift lets you look around inside the car and over to the passenger side mirror.
So does Forza... you just need to know how to use the stick.

On the video front, it's uploading now. It'll be about 15 mins though because apparently all my downloading today has made my connection limited temporarily.

LQX said:
Only the front 45 degrees to your left and right let you look in the car, yeah annoying but I can see why they kept the instant left and right look in, as I use it a lot to quickly check sides and not having to worry about my visible direction slowly returning to the middle. But they could have at least kept the interior in view when looking side ways.

skyfinch

LQX said:

Press up on the stick then move around.

Damn it all to hell. Return of the kilowatts in my measurement units. Could someone please make them go away? I want kilometers and kilograms, but kilowatts is just a bunch of nonsense.

Unregistered007 said:
Down to zero for you then, try it.

VibratingDonkey said:
Damn it all to hell. Return of the kilowatts in my measurement units. Could someone please make them go away? I want kilometers and kilograms, but kilowatts is just a bunch of nonsense.
It would make more seance to say how much energy is burned at full revs related to the same mass found in an average bag of suger.

Rad-

I really don't get the aliasing complaints. I have little as well but honestly, it's very little. People here are talking like it's Halo 3 or Forza 2 level aliasing. Not even close. Played some Grid earlier, and that game definitely has more aliasing too.

I'm playing VGA 1680x1050 res btw if that makes a difference.

Hawk SE

My experience:

FORZA 2
So I loaded up a Maple Valley race in Forza 2 with an Audi R8 and did a full lap.
- Game still looks great

FORZA 3
Loaded up demo with Audi R8 in same color
- WOW what a HUGE difference!
- Forza 2 is now an Original Xbox game by comparison

This demo is quite amazing. I'm now going through all the cars.

Anyone notice in the Replay if you goto Dashboard Camera you can freely move the camera??

rjcc

Rad- said:
I really don't get the aliasing complaints. I have little as well but honestly, it's very little. People here are talking like it's Halo 3 or Forza 2 level aliasing. Not even close. Played some Grid earlier, and that game definitely has more aliasing too.

I'm playing VGA 1680x1050 res btw if that makes a difference.

That's what I'm playing, you really can't see it even right up close to the monitor.

Top Bottom