• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 Announces Nominees for X-Play Best of 2011 Awards. Skyward Sword am cry.

In addition, “X-Play” will announce the winner of G4tv.com’s Videogame Deathmatch where the fans choose their favorite game of 2011. The battle began with 32 contenders and now is down to only two fan favorites: Assassin’s Creed: Revelations vs. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Doesn't it fell weird for gamers to choose between these two games, and not one of them is in the game of the year category?

Fanboyism or bad journalism? GAF will be the judge (?)

A remarkable number of people voted on these nominees...clearly none of my co-workers have good taste.

I was ready to slap some bitches about Rayman: Origins. SLAP THEM. Skyward Sword's art direction is nothing compared to this game.

Feep, you know what to do next time you're at the offices.

It involves fire, if you're having trouble figuring it out.

vall03

surprised at the RPG category, really didn't expect Trails in the Sky there but its sadly going to lose considering the competition...

Art direction doesn't just mean cartoony you know. U3's one of the best looking games out there.
Well, obviously. But I definitely agree with your second point. I guess I just want Rayman to get all the praise/nominations it can get lol. But, yeah, Uncharted is definitely deserving of a nomination now that I thought about it some more.

TekDragon

Banned
Yeah, that's just off. And it's missing from the best animation category as well, which is an even bigger WTF.

I honestly don't understand all the hype about Skyward Sword. Granted, I didn't play it, but I've played many Wii games.

I see people bitching it didn't get best art or best animation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL6fOoX9ilE

What? I'm sorry, but how is that even best art/animation on the Wii, much less in the entire industry?

Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny is a pretty average game, and the art style in that is 10x better.

Satchel

Banned
Interesting nomination list to say the least.

God damn no SS and UC3 in GOTY must be stinging many here.

like me :(

lol LA Noir. First instinct was to go "WTF?!", but then saw the Nolan North categories and realised these guys like kidding around, which would explain many of the noms.

BagSquad

Banned
Jesus, is LA Noire the worst game ever now, or something? There seems to be a bitter, vitriolic hatred for it here. I liked it well enough, not the best game of the year but it's far from the worst.

Derrick01

Banned
Well, obviously. But I definitely agree with your second point. I guess I just want Rayman to get all the praise/nominations it can get lol. But, yeah, Uncharted is definitely deserving of a nomination now that I thought about it some more.

I agree rayman should be up there too. If anything needs to be taken off that list it's Arkham City. I love the game but it's got that drab UE3 art style that's in a ton of games that use the engine. Art style is not what it does best.

Amagon

Jesus, is LA Noire the worst game ever now, or something? There seems to be a bitter, vitriolic hatred for it here. I liked it well enough, not the best game of the year but it's far from the worst.
jmUp6.gif

Nicktals

Banned
The omission from the "art direction" category is the biggest slap to skyward sword. It seriously is some of the best...ever. I absolutely am astounded how the whole world looks and feels.

Davey Cakes

I honestly don't understand all the hype about Skyward Sword. Granted, I didn't play it, but I've played many Wii games.
The Legend of Zelda is one of the most acclaimed and heavily-discussed video game series of all time and has been around for 25 years. A new console Zelda game built from the ground up for the Wii comes out a whole five years after its predecessor and you don't understand the hype?

Plus the art direction is fantastic. The graphics are stuck in the realm of 480p and the hardware limitations are often apparent, but the game itself is colorful and vibrant. It also uses a cool effect where environments and objects look like paintings when viewed from a distance. It's not mindblowing but it deserves recognition of some sort.

And yeah, you have to actually play the game to experience it.

Best Performance By Nolan North
Adventure/Space/Fact Cores – Portal 2
Deadpool – Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Desmond Miles – Assassin’s Creed: Revelations
Nathan Drake – Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception
The Penguin – Batman: Arkham City

Best Performance Not By Nolan North
Aaron Staton – Cole Phelps, L.A. Noire
JK Simmons – Cave Johnson, Portal 2
John DiMaggio – Marcus Fenix, Gears of War 3
Mark Hamill – The Joker, Batman: Arkham City
Stephen Merchant – Wheatley, Portal 2

This is awesome!

However, the rest of list is absolutely trash. I don't even know where to begin, but I'll start with two obvious, WTF omissions in no Uncharted 3 for Best Animation and Game of the Year. Seriously, X-Play? No wonder you are joke!

Not a great GOTY list... SR3 and no Uncharted 3? I think I'll go with Arkham City over Portal 2 for my GOTY. Skyrim is really amazing at first but really slows down later on, it will likely win though.

Also, I'd like to see Nolan North go up against Mark Hamill. Far and away the best voice performances of the year. The fact that Marcus Fenix is on there is a huge joke.

Forkball

LA Noire is better than Skyward Sword.

This is a sentence that someone has uttered. A human being of supposedly full cognition has come to this conclusion.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Okay so the 5 was legit?

I don't work at/for G4, so I have no idea. My point is that the perfect score is the reason L.A. Noire is on the GoTY list, not R*'s influencing of the awards. If the game scored 4/5 and yet was still nominated then, yes, that would be circumspect. Having said that, I find it strange to extend the number of GoTY candidates to 7 - the category should have been limited to 5 as per its neighbours.

Lunar15

Skyward Sword does have alot of painful, monotonous filler. It sullies an otherwise decent game.

LA Noire is 100% painful, monotonous filler.

Note: I'm not actually trying to defend SS. It does have some filler that does hurt the experience. I have no desire to compare SS and LA Noire. I only just despise LA Noire.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, I never in a million years expected to see Catherine, Trails in the Sky, El Shaddai, or Tactics Ogre LUCT on a G4 award show of all places!!!

Philthy

GOTY

Skyrim- 360 or great specced PC

Skyrim is pretty much broke on every platform. Until they get resists fixed, dragon killing fixed, and dragons glitching backwards fixed, it remains shelved. While the PS3 version is much more crippled, what I listed is enough to keep it from being very fun on any platform.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Skyrim is pretty much broke on every platform. Until they get resists fixed, dragon killing fixed, and dragons glitching backwards fixed, it remains shelved. While the PS3 version is much more crippled, what I listed is enough to keep it from being very fun on any platform.

Huh... It runs great on my PC.

GOTY imo.

Cheech

Wow, what a bad list. WTF is L.A. Noire and Saints Row doing in there? Where is Uncharted 3? Looks like a publisher wrote this crappy list.

Saints Row 3 is superior to its predecessors and brings loads new to the table.

Uncharted 3 is inferior to its predecessors and kind of flat.

There is a lot to hate about LA Noire, but what are the good aspects?

Face tech is no doubt amazing. The acting (outside of interviews )and story was solid.

But the story makes a good noir movie, but is not satisfying as a game plot.

examining the evidence was novel, but always pretty cool.

Also... you can get your hat shot off (and pick it up again!), which is undeniably cool.

Shooting sections were also... pretty solid?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

While totally screwing up the story. Gameplay was alright,
but the endings and their pointless killing of well liked characters is very off-putting.

Considering all the shooters this year its a shame not to see Crysis 2 being talked about more. I don't know of a better shooter campaign in the past year, although I do see some praise for Bulletstorm and Resistance 3, two other games I'm not seeing much GOTY fever for.

HylianTom

Banned
Eh? It's G4. No biggie. I look forward to the day when their "totally extreme" (*insert Colbert-style guitar riff here*) network goes under.

Uncharted 3 is inferior to its predecessors and kind of flat.

Character customization and amount of content was far superior in SR2. SR3 is pretty much all tutorial until the last 15 missions or so. Also the story (not really a highpoint of the series though), characters and gangs are inferior to the previous Saints Rows. SR3 may have the edge in content one day when you take into account the billion DLCs they have planned.

I also didn't care for the character upgrade system they used in the game. Maybe it's just me but I loved unlocking things as a reward for doing activities and missions. And the rewards could mostly be unlocked in whatever order you chose. Maybe some people didn't like dual wielding automatic pistols with infinite ammo early on in SR2, but I sure as hell did.

SR3 does do some things better than the previous games. But taken as a whole, it's an inferior sequel.

I still need to play that one. I hear it's amazing.

Play SR2 instead. You can get it for a lot cheaper and there's so much more to do. Well unless you have a PC. The SR2 PC port was apparently shit.

Derrick01

Banned

you were saying? The patch to fix all that just downloaded onto my PC :p

Top Bottom