• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 Announces Nominees for X-Play Best of 2011 Awards. Skyward Sword am cry.

BeeDog

Because a lot of folks didn't dig on it and considered it a pretty big drop off compared to Uncharted 2. I sure know I'm one of those people.

Regardless of what you think of Uncharted 3, it sure as hell is better than LA Noire that shouldn't be anywhere near a GoTY list. That's pretty much an objective assessment, and I somewhat liked that game.

Aeana

Witcher 2 is *vastly* better then Skyrim.

Hmm, well, Witcher 2 was previously a lock for my game of the year and Skyrim has been making me actually give it some thought. TW2 will probably still come out on top though. Maybe I can do my Roche playthrough before year's end and it'll get the game fresh in my memory again.

[Nintex]

There doesn't seem to be an annoying character award or handholding of the year award so no surprise Zelda isn't there.

Lunar15

Holy shit, no Witcher 2 but L.A. Noire?

Skyward Sword is my game of the year, but I can understand people not wanting to put it on there because it's the "same ol' thing". I'm just a big zelda fan. But The Witcher 2 was an excellent experience and a drastic change from the first game. Not saying it should win, but to not get a nod over L.A. Noire is dumbfounding.

Did any of these reviewers actually PLAY L.A. Noire? Or did they just watch cutscenes? Heck, even the cutscenes suck. It blows my mind that this game continues to receive any attention.

Nolan North voiced The Penguin!? sheeeeit o_O

whoa back the fuck up, Uncharted 3 isn't GOTY contender?

fuck_that_space_shark.jpg

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I laugh at every GOTY list without The Witcher 2.

I was more surprised to see it nominated for anything, since Tech TV doesn't seem very PC-centric. Anyways, seems like a pretty standard list of games. Bulletstorm should be on the shooter list, but it's not shocking to see games like MW3 picked over it. I expect Skyrim to sweep most of the GOTY awards (including GAF's). It's probably not my number one, but I got no complaints, it's a damn good game.

Luthos

Looking past the GOTY list...

Why isn't Uncharted 3 on the Best Animation list?

Like... I liked Uncharted 2 more than the third, so I don't really mind UC3 not being on the GOTY list, but there's hardly any game out there that contends with Uncharted's animation.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Not that I expect it to win, but any place not nominating Dark Souls for GOTY is much worse than not nominating a Zelda game imo.

UberTag

Most pleasant surprise is seeing Trails in the Sky among the RPG nominees.
I can't gripe about anything else seeing its inclusion. That trumps any objection I could possibly raise.

Philthy

Skyrim in their game of the year list? Really? People can't even play it right now because it's so broken and they're considering it?

Best Soundtrack
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword
Portal 2
Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery

The only way I can imagine why Uncharted 3's soundtrack wasn't nominated is plain and simple: they didn't play the fucking game, or at least didn't pay attention to the music at all. Shit is criminal and immediately forfeits any reason to take this seriously at all. The GOTY choices could even be worse. I just don't get any of it.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Wonder where they got that idea from.

Not from Giant Bomb, because I put that category in the list and had never heard of the Northies before. It was simply a way to get North out of the voice acting category because otherwise he would have been dominating it too much. Instead of choosing one out of his three outstanding roles of the year, I just gave him his own category.

Glad to see some folks appreciating the inclusion of Trails in the Sky, which I pushed for due to it being one of my favorite purchases of the year.

Bigfoot

Skyrim in their game of the year list? Really? People can't even play it right now because it's so broken and they're considering it?

On one platform though. Just close your eyes and pretend Skyrim was never released on the PS3, then you will see how it can be GOTY. PS3 exclusives aren't dropped from GOTY consideration just because you can't play them on the 360 :)

Basch

The only way I can imagine why Uncharted 3's soundtrack wasn't nominated is plain and simple: they didn't play the fucking game, or at least didn't pay attention to the music at all. Shit is criminal and immediately forfeits any reason to take this seriously at all. The GOTY choices could even be worse. I just don't get any of it.

True that, but most in that list do deserve a nomination. Honestly, Uncharted 3, IMO, had the best music, art design, direction, story, gameplay, and animation I've seen/played/heard all year. But I'm probably in the minority, and I know people will call me a fanboy for it, but whatevs. I like what I like. Though Batman and Portal 2 are pretty tough competition.

blurrygil

Well, it's safe to say that I'm very ;_; over no Zelda: SS being on any more nominations that what's seen. Particularly sad to not make GOTY. However, if you need a Top 10 list or some special awards announcement to select the games you should play, you're doing it all wrong.

But, here's to Super Mario 3D Land nabbing that Best Handheld Award! But man, being up against Ghost Trick is gonna be interesting. Though my back-ups of Pokemon: Black & White Ver. along with Professor Layton have got me confident... *smug*

I actually liked most of the games on these lists. One can certainly question how some of the games made it to where they are, but it's all subjective in the end. Even LA Noire was fun for me. It took chances and did a lot of things right. Here's to hoping a 2nd one comes from it with corrections on the mistakes fans felt were prominent. Demon/Dark Souls, however....ugh! I love my challenges, but it's hard for me to adjust to it being so high in an action-RPG. That's JUST me, of course. :)

Mlatador

Banned
That list is full of fuck.

Super Mario 3D Land nominated as best "Action Adventure"??? (while Skyward Sword doesn't even make the list???)

Oh boy...

Vinci

Danish
Game of the Year
Batman: Arkham City
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Gears of War 3
L.A. Noire
Portal 2
Saints Row: The Third
Super Mario 3D Land

It's like G4 prepared this list and then winked at Valve suspiciously.

MisterHero

I'm done G4 but I've got cable and keep accidentally surfing through it.

Maybe someday Morgan Webb will get good at videogames and stop complaining about Mario 64's camera controls.

Trails in the Sky getting some love outweighs anything else that might be wrong with that list. I was really surprised to see it mentioned.

psykomyko

Not sure why I even care, but having Dark Souls in only the RPG and Multi award is stupid. What about art direction and sound? It had the best of both of those categories this year. How about gameplay innovation? I would say Dark Souls covenant system is more "innovative" then any of those other nominees.
Even animation, particularly with the combat system...

Ah, what's the point, why am I even complaining about these pointless awards...

Thoraxes

Not in GOTY: Skyward Sword, Dark Souls, Uncharted 3, The Witcher 2? wat
L.A. Noire in there? wat
No Portal 2 in Best Animation: wat
No Children of Eden in best Motion Control? wat

This shit is a total joke. I wonder if L.A. Noire got in there because of money-hatting, because they were advertising the shit out of it when it came out.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
"Best Fighting Game
King of Fighters XIII
Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds
Mortal Kombat
Street Fighter III 3rd Strike Online Edition
Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition"

Damn it, was hoping to see both MVC3 and UMVC3. Would be hilarious.

Zutroy

Although I don't care cos I disagree with most of that list, however Merchant better win for Portal 2. He was hilarious in it!

Top Bottom