• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G4 Announces Nominees for X-Play Best of 2011 Awards. Skyward Sword am cry.

Derrick01

Banned
GOTY can be relatively subjective.... but I'm confused as to why UC3 isn't nominated for Best animation?

That is what ND are known for.

Seriously the Uncharteds are the best in the business right now in animation. I don't even think anyone could debate that, and they stick assassin's creed in there instead. That's a more egregious omission than no Zelda for goty.

TheLastCandle said:
It is a bit odd seeing LAN on the list for GoTY considering the vitriol I see posted on that game. Was it really that bad?

Yeah it was that bad. The face tech was the only good thing about that game.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Best Role-Playing Game
Dark Souls
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
The Witcher 2

I don't know how this happened, and I know it won't win, but I approve of this making the list.

Team of gaming experts?

Does that include Kevin Pereria (sp?), the guy that mocks the other staff on-air for actually reviewing games?

You'll find no fight from me on that front. Being completely absent from all listed categories, no way.

Oh, yeah, agreed, that stuff deserves some recognition, I thought you were implying that was enough for a GOTY nod though, haha. It's all clear now

Tuck

Didn't they steal the idea for the Nolan North award from Giant Bomb?

Have you played every game on the list? Opinions vary, so no need to get upset just because Zelda or UC3 isn't on the GOTY list. Besides, UC3 is actually worse than UC2.

I don't get posts like this. Who cares if he hasn't played all the games on the list? If Uncharted 3 was one of his preferred games this year then obviously he would want it to be nominated. Saying 'You need to have played all the games to comment' is stupid. It's not like he is saying 'L.A. Noire shouldn't be on the list' without having played it.

MechaX

Didn't they steal the idea for the Nolan North award from Giant Bomb?

Shamelessly, at that.

I am also quite surprised Trails in the Sky and Ghost Trick actually got some recognition. But bleh, this will most likely be a Skyrim sweep (I can't fathom soundtrack wise though, I felt that its soundtrack was just generic more than anything else).

Pranay

Have you played every game on the list? Opinions vary, so no need to get upset just because Zelda or UC3 isn't on the GOTY list. Besides, UC3 is actually worse than UC2.

Uncharted 3 is still a great game and much better then La Noire lol.

Ahh anyways their uncharted review was crap as well mp tacked on ? lol

Besides a little overabundance of the turd known as LA Noire (face tech is impressive though, Cole is not a well acted character) it seems to be a pretty plausible list.

Ghost Trick and Trials in the Sky. Damn.

And people are surprised that XPlay doesn't give a damn about Zelda?

Medalion

Banned
No Zelda SS in game of the year?

who-gives-a-shit-harrison-ford.gif

Bigfoot

I don't get posts like this. Who cares if he hasn't played all the games on the list? If Uncharted 3 was one of his preferred games this year then obviously he would want it to be nominated. Saying 'You need to have played all the games to comment' is stupid. It's not like he is saying 'L.A. Noire shouldn't be on the list' without having played it.

My post was more directed at everyone saying Zelda or Uncharted 3 should be on the GOTY list, and not specifically him. However, yeah I think you should have knowledge of the games on the short list before saying that Game X belongs on there. What if someone only played NFS: The Run this year? Sure, it could be their GOTY but that doesn't mean it should be on this GOTY list!

StevieP

Banned
Is it depressing to anyone else that Skyrim will win dozens of GOTY awards even with the whole PS3 situation?

It's broken in some fashion on all platforms... Bethesda should rename themselves bugthesda.

Wow, not nearly enough Uncharted 3 on there--the industry has become so fickle...

Don't confuse G4 for representing "the industry" - they represent the mainstream/casuals that eat up (as an example) things with the "Rockstar" name and mediocre shooters.

Glad to see Resistance 3 in the best shooter this year though.

I think you spelled Battlefield wrong. Unless you're talking solely single player, of which they all stink lol.

Basch

I actually thought the third was on par with UC2. I really don't see how it can be any worse than UC2, especially after the patch. And yes, I can comment. As I have played LA Noire and know that that doesn't even deserve to be mentioned. That game has so many issues. If R* didn't money-hat their way in, I have no idea as to how they garnered a nomination. G4 is insane? Zelda or UC3 definitetly at the very least deserve a mention. And no nomination for Best Animation is downright criminal. You'd have to be lying through your teeth to say UC3 doesn't have the best animation in the industry.

Zekes!

Besides a little overabundance of the turd known as LA Noire (face tech is impressive though, Cole is not a well acted character) it seems to be a pretty plausible list.

Ghost Trick and Trials in the Sky. Damn.

And people are surprised that XPlay doesn't give a damn about Zelda?

Nope. It'll probably be left out on other major sites and the like too.

GOTY awards are always the same, I don't know why people get so worked up over them.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Not sure whether to laugh or cry.

Every year when I see this kind of stuff, a part of me dies on the inside. Graphics innovation =/= Gameplay innovation.

Well whatever, this battle is lost. The graphics whores outnumber us. Don't get me wrong I love graphics too, but gameplay always comes first to me.

Nope. It'll probably be left out on other major sites and the like too.

GOTY awards are always the same, I don't know why people get so worked up over them.

idk, IGN will probably have it as a nominee. GI and Edge as well on the magazine side...

I doubt it will win as much as TP back in the day, but it has a better chance of winning stuff than mario galaxy 2 (T_T).

ultron87

Wait... Desmond for a Northie?

Did his acting become spectacular in the puzzle sequences?

Got bored after 1, and read the rest on wiki.

I think they just needed one more role to fill in the award. He doesn't do anything impressive at all, since Desmond has nothing to do in the story.

Aeana

Really surprised about Trails in the Sky's inclusion. It has no chance of winning but its presence there might at least get more people to check it out.
Do it, y'all.

PooBone

I don't have an opinion on the Zelda matter because I haven't played Skyward Sword, but who gives a fuck about what Morgan Webb thinks?

KingK

Wow at Uncharted 3 and Zelda not even being nominated for GOTY. Also, why the hell is Uncharted 3 not even nominated for the best animation category?

The Nolan North categories are funny, but totally stolen from Giant Bomb.

Lunar15

While I loved SS, it's fine with me if it's not on the list. They just didn't like it as much as the others, I guess.

L.A. Noire being on there... now THAT'S all kinds of messed up.

Alex

Wow, not nearly enough Uncharted 3 on there--the industry has become so fickle...

Because a lot of folks didn't dig on it and considered it a pretty big drop off compared to Uncharted 2. I sure know I'm one of those people.

Top Bottom